As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Getting Boring by the Sea [TFTD LP]

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Combat Logs, X-Com Aquatic Combat Division:

First Contact, Incident 1.

5268023556_a37c6ddd98.jpg

Acheron Base: Right. We have no confirmation for exactly what's out there, but it was able to destroy a trained investigative task force without a trace. Be careful, stay alert, watch your backs.

And good hunting, Triton 1.

Raneados: Right, right. Triton 1, signing off.

Alright. So, we've got an unknown number of terrifyingly effective enemy combatants outside. Anyone object to the tank going out first?

No?

That's what I thought.

5268023562_a69c916302.jpg

Campion: Looks like we got contact. Carthage, torpedo.

Carthage: You sure? Don't have a clean line of fire, and I have no idea what the thing is. Or even if it is a thing. I've heard stories about the HWPs firing on random debris.

Campion: I'm sure.

*Explosion*

5268023572_3d40af0397.jpg

Carthage: Alright. Whatever it was, it's dead now.

chiasaur11 on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Doesn't look dead to me. I'm afraid.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zahrkon: Um, well...

5267415501_c8f8766f5b.jpg

Carthage: Son of a BITCH! How did the thing survive a torpedo again?

No wonder the first team bit it! Shit, shit, shit...

Campion: That's what the tank is for, right? Just stay calm, it can distract the thing, maybe buy time for you to reload.

5268023598_1e791d43b0.jpg

*explosion*

Campion: Or reduce it to component atoms. That works just as well.

5268023606_6d23ee63c6.jpg

Zahrkon: LZ looks clear.

Campion: Alright, good. We can start spreading out then.

5268023628_fa24acc584.jpg

Campion: Belay that. Got another live one.

chiasaur11 on
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    !signup Sorry, my bus was late. Combat Medic and Recreational Surfer Wavecutter reporting for duty as ordered. Oh wait. It seems they've all gone out. I'll just see whats in the fridge and wait for them to get back.

wavecutter on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there any chance that you could make the screenshots a bit bigger? I think fishman's were about double the size. It'd just be easier to make out what's happening.

Rhan9 on
    edited December 2010
    By the way, if you haven't seen it, GuavaMoment at SA did a VLP of TftD multiplayer. And he played the aliens. It was brutal. Except for the ship mission (update 9), which he did himself. Against lobstermen.

enlightenedbum on
    edited December 2010
    Campion: Castle, please tell me you have the hydro jet cannon ready. We need heavy fire power right now.

OnTheLastCastle: Got it. Just need to line it up for a burst.

5267415585_0ccd55726a.jpg

*Autocannon whine*

OnTheLastCastle: Alright, just need to line up the next one better.

5268023662_5309a76b41.jpg

OnTheLastCastle: Shit.

5267415611_c8dc9419f2.jpg

Campion: That nearly hit the tank. Have you ever used this thing before? Carthage, you got another torp?

Carthage: Just give the word.

5267415641_6c36ce5ed2.jpg

*explosion*

Carthage: Dammit! That was a perfect shot!

Raneados: It's moving! Get down!

5268023820_167488f74a.jpg

*Hideous screeching*

Campion: Anyone dead?

5268023844_a8810491e5.jpg

OnTheLastCastle: Doesn't seem so, but it's gone.

chiasaur11 on
    edited December 2010
    Oh Hydro-Jet Cannons. I would rather have the stupid fucking dart gun than those fucking things.

enlightenedbum on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One must wonder just where those rounds go. Hours from now, will the corpse of a punctured, battered whale descend gracefully to the see floor to bewilder the alien survivors or provide an object lesson in making sure the downrange is clear for the humans on mop-up? Or do the rounds merely run out of juice, remain floating where they are, and eventually murder some curious and playful dolphin passing by?

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited December 2010
    5267415757_884e276399.jpg

OnTheLastCastle: Just keeping the thing's head down.

Raneados: It might not even be there!

OnTheLastCastle: Then I'm shooting it because I hate it.

5267415777_5f08dfdbb2.jpg

Raneados: Fair enough.

5267415833_c3a92844a8.jpg

OnTheLastCastle: And it's back. This may be the stupidest alien alive. We're doing it a favor by blowing its head off.

5267415857_3c1e0610f8.jpg

OnTheLastCastle: You're welcome. Two up, two down.

5267415909_107eecf735.jpg

Campion: And it looks like we got a third. Anyone still got ammo for the big guns?

chiasaur11 on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Awwwwww hells bells. !sign me up!

Joshua1, Professional Corpse and Food Critic, reporting for duty

joshua1 on
    edited December 2010
    Carthage: Got a couple shots. Keep it busy.

Campion: On it.

*explosion*

5268024040_7b89526134.jpg

Rainfall: Wow. That was the worst shooting I have ever seen.

*explosion*

5267415975_69c15e49e3.jpg

Rainfall: Alright, like, fifth worst. Geeze. This thing is tough to hit.

5268024106_789635fc51.jpg

Rankenfile: Alright, someone needs to show you idiots which end of the fucking gun you point at the enemy. Step a-fucking-side and let a man deal with the problem.

chiasaur11 on
    edited December 2010
    *explosion*

5267416017_5548c0fb67.jpg

Rankenfile: Okay, this is a tough son of a bitch.

5267416051_65a269bd07.jpg

Campion: Never mind, everybody. Handled it myself. And it looks like that was the last of them. Man, Timspork's Ghost did a number on their sub.

Base? We have met the enemy and they are ours.

Acheron Base: We're sending a recovery team in to pick up the pieces right now. Good work.

End report

A post mission analysis should be ready shortly, but for the moment, I have to say I am pleased with the success so far. Keep it up.

chiasaur11 on
    edited December 2010
    No one died? Bad TFTD.

enlightenedbum on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm almost 30 deaths away from joing in... come on TFTD! You can do better than this!

AnteCantelope on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    a cook huh.
    I've been sitting on this recipe for a while.

Preparation Time: 3 hours Servings: 50

Ingredients
    2 live spiny Lobster Men
    1.25 gallons of butter
    2,5 gallons of vine ripened tomatoes, large dice
    1.25 cups of olive oil
    2.5 cups of red wine/port (can use vinegar)
    80 large leaves fresh basil, chiffonade
    20 shallots, brunoise
    20 cloves garlic, minced
    salt
    fresh cracked pepper

Directions
    (be sure to remove all alien devices as you go along)
    1. Kill the Lobster Men
    2. Remove the tail. Scrape any grit out of the head and chop the shell of the head in a meat grinder.
    3. Warm the butter in a big metal barrel drum with the lobster shell and cook on very low heat until the shells turn red. Strain and chill.
    4. Combine the tomatoes, olive oil, red wine vinegar, basil, garlic, shallot, salt and pepper for the tomato relish and chill.
    5. Bring 20 gallons of well salted water to boil in a drum and boil the tails for 1 hour.
    6. Remove the tails from the drum and, with vibroblade, cut down the center underbelly of the tail. Then, slice into the tail meat, expose the vein on top of the tail/meat and scrape it out.

Salt and pepper the tails and brush them with butter.
    7. Grill on both sides until tail is fully cooked, about 1 hour on each side, brushing the open side with butter.

Top tails with tomato relish and butter. Lobster Man butter may be formed into a roll and sliced or scooped with a melon baller. The butter is also good brushed on bruschetta to be grilled and served with the Lobster Man tails.

Tsk. Yet another example of over cooking. Your classic Lobsterman is 6kg of chitin, then 50kg of flesh. Generally hard to capture intact, I recommend using elasto-retractable restrainment devices, since those claws can give you a nasty pinch.

Once you have managed to corral 4-6 of these beautiful specimens, carefully transfer them into the reactor containment unit, along with 12kg of lemon halves and a single case of malt rich beer.

Once safely contained, flood the chamber to 2.5m deep with sea water, just deep enough for your average lobsterman to submerge comfortably.

Now, your commander needs to order a full halt and adjust the ballast until you are only 5000 fathoms under the sea. This way the nitrogen gases promotes the permeation of the citric acid in the lobsterman bloodstream and the malt has time to fully soak into the mandibles.

This is when it gets tricky. Remove 70% of the carbon rods controlling the reactor core, because you need a load of those protons to really get this recipe kicking.

Immediately as you past the 70% mark, begin returning the rods, as the protons with continue to further propagate without your interference.

This way, you are able to steam your fresh lobstermen while retaining their ocean freshness. The lemons and the malt flavour serve to enhance the natural smokiness, without blanding the whole affair with gallons and gallons of butter.

I recommend serving with an array of mustards, ranging from the mild to potent. Layer with fresh crusty bread and aromatic olive oil, and you have a meal fit for a carrier battle group.

Enjoy, and death to the Alien Aggressor!

- Joshua1

joshua1 on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Campion: Never mind, everybody. Handled it myself. And it looks like that was the last of them. Man, Timspork's Ghost did a number on their sub.

Ahahahaha. Yesssss. I made sure there was enough left for you guys to get your feet wet.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As for increasing the size of the images, I heartily recommend IrfanView, as it has a kickass batch operation option.

It's how I resized all of my Daggerfall LP images.

MechMantis on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Where is the sectoid cooking recipe. Looks like we got a couple we can feast on post-haste.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    No casualties. Nice start, chiasaur11.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One of the challenges in TftD is getting experience since the enemy uses more grenades and tanks are just so much better when dealing with grenades. Anyway, that was my rather poor experience. I don't know how many full teams I've lost on the first mission.

starkiller on
    edited December 2010
    I ignore casualties until like March or April.

enlightenedbum on
    edited December 2010
    5268024208_5dc364a6d0.jpg

On the whole, our first mission was a shocking success. No deaths, no injuries, and the only damage to anything was some scratched paint on the Triton.

Although I would recommend more time at the firing range for all of you, general performance was solid, and in two cases worthy of special recognition.

5268024240_117d606a30.jpg

Campion and Rankenfile showed initiative and tolerable accuracy in their fieldwork, and I am proud to give them command of field operations.

Current kill board:

Campion 1
    OnTheLastCastle 1
    Tofystedeth AI system 1

Pilot kills

Timspork's Ghost 1 USO (small), 2 aliens killed in crash.

chiasaur11 on
  • johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i thought that TFTD was the extreme difficult version of Xcom. Is our commander that good or were we just lucky?

johnwing on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Snacky S'mores Presents!

Why we FIGHT

Recently while interviewing young aquanaughts on their way to fight the evil, possibly communist, alien menace, we came across some very dedicated young men!

Smaug6 inspired fellow troops with this tidy TIDBIT, "Those Alien scum killed my only friend and surrogate father. All Flipper ever wanted was to splash in the bay, eat fish and teach me life lessons. Then one night, the ocean turned bright green and the water boiled. I heard Flipper's shrill squeaks and ran as fast as I could to the shore, but by the time I got there, all that was left was a bloody blowhole." Sobbed Recruit Smaug6. "I say, KILL THEM ALL!"

Other grizzled Aquanaught, Decius slurred, "I cannnnn't wait to back under....under...under the sea. Life is better, down where its wetter, take it from me. Pluusshhh they have free SCHnnnappps on Fridays." Decius then promptly fell asleep to be better rested to take on the alien menace.

Meanwhile, recruit Hobnail stared off into space and whimsically offered this motivational piece, "For me, it was like a return to the womb. I was absorbed by mother ocean... in all her wondrous glory

The sea is a symphony of colors... And yet, there is danger at every turn. She is a fierce and fickle mistress.

Ah, yes. Loligo Giganticus. With a razor sharp beak, that can tear steel as easily as I tear a croissant...But, at heart, he is a peaceful giant..." Hobnail then proceeded to gently stroke the mighty beast while shooing it gently away from the aqua base.

Finally I spoke, while spoke with is a generous term, recruit Enlightenedbum, I asked him what his strategy for fighting the alien aquatic attackers was. He stated, "Welll, mmm this lobster is really succulent, mmm, *gulp**crunch*, can I get some more butter over here? Well, the way *nom nom nom* I see it, is if I eat enough lobster, then, ***slurp***, the lobster aliens will think me as one of their own. I can *burp* blend in and infiltrate *tears head off third lobster* their squads and acts a spy." By God I think he may be bright. Even if he gives his life immediately, hes doing his part by destroying as many of those crusty crustaceans as possible. He's doing his part!

Sign up for the mobile aquatic infantry! They're doing their part, now its time to do YOURS!

Support the war effort and EAT MORE Snacky S'mores!

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

SmokeStacks on
    edited December 2010
    johnwing wrote: »
    i thought that TFTD was the extreme difficult version of Xcom. Is our commander that good or were we just lucky?

Well, depends what difficulty level he's playing at and if he let the bug happen.

Also: Aquatoids.

enlightenedbum on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Good work boys. I'm hoping i reach activity through a new team being made, and not over a pile of bodies.

Melding on
    edited December 2010
    Science Report
    Classified X4

Commander?

Ah, Caulk Bite. Heard the medikit modification was done. Good work.

You honestly thought I'd bother you with that? I wouldn't waste your time.

So, what is this about? You make any progress on the Gauss project?

More important than that. Catch.

5267416317_1aa3d6e2e2.jpg

Okay, very nice, what the hell is it?

Grenade. Alien tech. Massive blast radius, incredibly powerful. Makes most of the surfaceside stuff look inadequate. One of them would have killed the entire investigation team. We were very lucky.

Extended pause

And you threw it to me. In a base where one breech would leave us all dead.

It's not like it was armed. At any rate, I'd advise deploying these things on every possible contact. The risk of damaging valuable resources is far outweighed by the increased survivability and versatility.

I'll take it under advisement. Thank you for your time. Anything else salvaged from the alien craft?

A few things.

5267416329_eecffef2cd.jpg

Use your discretion.

chiasaur11 on
    edited December 2010
    Yay sonic pulsars. The proper way to play this game is to just blow everything up. Blasta Rifles, obviously.

enlightenedbum on
  • EnglishBobEnglishBob Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ah grenades, the great equaliser for underpowered weapon teams.

*edit* TOTP, better add a link to something interesting;

The Legend of Patrick Stewart

EnglishBob on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stuff the recovered aquatoid corpse and use it as a hat stand in the base's rec room.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Grenades...... Yesssssss.

My time to shine!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, Gauss weapons! let's do that!

Melding on
    edited December 2010
    Oh, and a fiscal update.

The sale of resources from our first mission provided enough funds to purchase a second mobile tracked robot modified for surface operations.

The odds of non aquatic combat seem low at the moment, but it seemed sensible to cover for any eventuality. It is still bereft of an official designation, however, and suggestions will be considered.

chiasaur11 on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I'll take it under advisement. Thank you for your time. Anything else salvaged from the alien craft?

A few things.

5267416329_eecffef2cd.jpg

Use your discretion.

Personally, I feel that the Sonic weapons (while seeming to be extremely effective) aren't in our best interests to research and produce at this time. Primarily due to their dependency upon a new alien substance, we've translated as "Zrbite". Whatever it is, we can't make more of it, so our only source is hunting more aliens.

Which leads me to my recommendation of heading to Gauss Tech. This should become our workhorse tech, much like the lasers they developed topside. If nothing else, we can also start selling them to warlords in third world countries for a quick cash out.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited December 2010
    I already love this science team.

Melding on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I second Guass tech. Too bad it's not as cost effective as Las-tech (we'll still need to manufacture ammo).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    smof wrote: »
    Stuff the recovered aquatoid corpse and use it as a hat stand in the base's rec room.

you should know that the Hat Stand and other furniture pieces are reserved as places of honor for the fallen comrades that we manage to recover and stuff.

What worked for Tofystedeth up top should work for us. Besides, Rank already put in for the corpse to be ground into powder and burned. To experiment on it's use as an... Inhalant, apparently.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited December 2010
    While I'm partially joining up out of fear of our crustacean overlords, I have an ulterior motive.

I represent the conglomerate who provided most of X-COM's funding in the first war and will most likely do the same in this one. I'm not referring to any nation of course, but to Alien Autopsy Ltd. We'd like to purchase all alien corpses X-COM may come across. Mostly for use as props, but also various household supplies.

enlightenedbum on
    edited December 2010
    well, as a civie, you'll have to get the director's permission, and then work through WotanAnubis in xenobiology.

Then you'll have to convince Rank to give up a possible new source of intoxicants. and when we start to bring in Lobstermen, you'll need to fight off lowlylowlycook and the kitchen staff.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png