As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rosa's Law or How much PC is too much PC?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I don't whip out my penis at work. Does that mean I have artistic integrity?

I don't know. Are you a young woman trying to sustain a successful career in music?

Because if so, some of your fans might be disappointed to find out you have a penis.

When I think of a young female artist showing off her nethers to attract attention, I think Courtney Love. I saw that shit as a young man at Lollapalooza 1995. It horrified me.

Do young female musicians often show their pussies to the general public? If so, please PM me some links so I can do some proper research. :winky:

Deebaser on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    agentk13 wrote: »
    It's a slightly different mix of sarcasm, passive aggression, and general bitchiness for each character. The weighting was heavier toward the latter two for Summer and Trilian, and heavier toward the former for the chick with the elf fetish, but it's all basically the same person.

So your saying she be a better actress if she would show her vag?

We're not talking about how you feel about her, we're talking about things you have to do to be successful, which some intimated that it was almost imperative for young women to over-sexualize themselves to gain any measure of success in the arts.

Deschanel proves that's not true, as do many other women, like Meryl Streep, Michelle Williams, Anne Hathaway, . . . . the list goes on.

Hollywood always gives women the choice to show their vag in exchange for instant fame. And it lasts just about as long as a minute.

I didn't say any measure of success.

I said mainstream, commercial success on a large scale. You're also bringing in actors which is a different ball game. I was, and always have been referring to music.

But this isn't really on topic.

There was an interesting article about the phenomenon in the Times. Apperantly, the "show your vag" tactic is almost totally limited to child/teenage stars passing into adulthood, largely because they're the ones who need to escape the age ghetto. It's the music version of the way actors like to show up in hilariously artsy award bait every so often so they can insist that they're "serious" when people start making fun of them.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    It's a slightly different mix of sarcasm, passive aggression, and general bitchiness for each character. The weighting was heavier toward the latter two for Summer and Trilian, and heavier toward the former for the chick with the elf fetish, but it's all basically the same person.

So your saying she be a better actress if she would show her vag?

We're not talking about how you feel about her, we're talking about things you have to do to be successful, which some intimated that it was almost imperative for young women to over-sexualize themselves to gain any measure of success in the arts.

Deschanel proves that's not true, as do many other women, like Meryl Streep, Michelle Williams, Anne Hathaway, . . . . the list goes on.

Hollywood always gives women the choice to show their vag in exchange for instant fame. And it lasts just about as long as a minute.

I didn't say any measure of success.

I said mainstream, commercial success on a large scale. You're also bringing in actors which is a different ball game. I was, and always have been referring to music.

But this isn't really on topic.

There was an interesting article about the phenomenon in the Times. Apperantly, the "show your vag" tactic is almost totally limited to child/teenage stars passing into adulthood, largely because they're the ones who need to escape the age ghetto. It's the music version of the way actors like to show up in hilariously artsy award bait every so often so they can insist that they're "serious" when people start making fun of them.

Definitely an issue. You should check out Dreamworlds 3 if you haven't already.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do young female musicians often show their pussies to the general public? If so, please PM me some links so I can do some proper research. :winky:

With the exception of Brittney and a handful of others, I'm using the term broadly to explain female artists leaning so heavily on the sexuality crutch.

Looking sexy is sexy, but looking sexy while not actively trying to look sexy is way sexier.

Atomika on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/thu-december-9-2010-edmund-morris

Part 2.

Saying the civil war was over slavery isn't "politically" correct.

It's correct correct.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/thu-december-9-2010-edmund-morris

Part 2.

Saying the civil war was over slavery isn't "politically" correct.

It's correct correct.

I've always felt like that Simpsons episode nailed it, where Apu was called in to verify his citizenship by stating US history facts.

"What was the Civil War about?"

"Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter--"

"Just say slavery, OK?"

The Civil War was about slavery, but not like in an awesome Moses v. Pharoah kind of way. In a shitty political way over economics and feuds over federal authority.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    well right, a slavery based economic system and the authority to regulate or ban slavery

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited December 2010

With the exception of Brittney and a handful of others, I'm using the term broadly to explain female artists leaning so heavily on the sexuality crutch.

Looking sexy is sexy, but looking sexy while not actively trying to look sexy is way sexier.

I like to think you tell your wife she's trying too hard whenever she wants to have sex with her.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I like to think you tell your wife she's trying too hard whenever she wants to have sex with her.

Miley Cyrus's "edgy" look seems ill-advised to me. I mean, I guess she could do sexy, but the obviously sexy outfits she donned for it really don't work with her body type.

There's also a fair selection of just general fail: anything which looks like a swimsuit isn't sexy because it's too obviously controlled. For a reference see Beyonce in "Naughty Girl"'s video clip.

EDIT: Basically it's all about what you can't see, but think you might be able to see.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Indeed Theiss Titillation Theory

edit: removed the TV-tropes link.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Come on dude! This is the PC thread, but more importantly, it's Saturday and I had shit to do!

Atlas in Chains on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Of course, that article neglects to note that you can wear flattering clothing that accentuates the breasts and suppresses the waist through lines and shit while nude has to be as-is. That's why there's a minimum length on short-shorts for women who still have to worry about the appearance of "Thundera thighs."

agentk13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

God fucking damn it I'm still reading that.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Damnit, you gotta mark that as TVTropes. I just spent the whole morning on that site.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    enc0re wrote: »

Damnit, you gotta mark that as TVTropes. I just spent the whole morning on that site.

Seriously: it's 4am and I just finished reading it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010

I know I tell her she's trying too hard when she wants to have sex with me.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also, we're seeing some topic drift here. As much as I enjoy reading about Zooey Deschanel and her vag, that doesn't really have much to do with being PC.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I am so sorry. I wasn't thinking.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    To atone, you must show me your vag.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »

You don't want to. His vag is retarded.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    She's pretty, but that's about it. I didn't know she was a vocalist until, like, yesterday.

Well here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1_C0qV94bg

That cover is dildos. dildos. dildos. dildos.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    While the topic has drifted considerably from the original question posed in the OP, allow me to bring it back around. I work at the Greenwood Genetic Center in South Carolina as a Genetics grad student. I do not even work with the people who have intellectual disability, or ID, and I can tell you that those of you complaining are some heartless bastards. Most of the people we work with do not just have ID, but a whole host of other problems as well. Can you even imagine what it is like to have a child born who is going to be crippled intellectually for life? I am also a new father, my son is less then 3 months old, and I had to leave several meetings discussing patients just thinking about what that might be like. If something as simple as this makes the patients, and their families feel even a little bit better, are you really going to complain?

On a side note the scientific community had pretty much stopped using mentally retarded, and replaced it with ID many years ago. So really this is just the government catching up with what the people who work with these individuals have already done.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Umm...none of us were complaining (not that I read, anyway). Just wondering out loud if it will really matter all that much in the long run.

Thanks for the needless insult, though. :rotate:

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    furlion wrote: »
    While the topic has drifted considerably from the original question posed in the OP, allow me to bring it back around. I work at the Greenwood Genetic Center in South Carolina as a Genetics grad student. I do not even work with the people who have intellectual disability, or ID, and I can tell you that those of you complaining are some heartless bastards. Most of the people we work with do not just have ID, but a whole host of other problems as well. Can you even imagine what it is like to have a child born who is going to be crippled intellectually for life? I am also a new father, my son is less then 3 months old, and I had to leave several meetings discussing patients just thinking about what that might be like. If something as simple as this makes the patients, and their families feel even a little bit better, are you really going to complain?

On a side note the scientific community had pretty much stopped using mentally retarded, and replaced it with ID many years ago. So really this is just the government catching up with what the people who work with these individuals have already done.

I believe we covered both the scientific term->insult cycle, and the American addiction to using euphemisms to hide from reality in previous posts. Thanks for your contribution.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

You don't want to. His vag is retarded.

^This post is magical.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    To me, words are just words and people can either give them power or ignore them.

I'm sure someone's brought this up already, but this is a pet-peeve of mine so whatever.

I bet it's really easy for you to say that words are just words when you almost surely are someone for whom there are no meaningfully hurtful or derogatory terms. Maybe you would feel differently if you were a member of an oppressed group and people regularly hurled certain words at you with venom and hatred, amplified and expressed through the word they had chosen specifically for its ability to insult and demean.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was wondering why my college's library was clearing-out all the books about mental retardation. One of them had the hilariously offensive title "Educating the Trainable Mental Retard".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I was wondering why my college's library was clearing-out all the books about mental retardation. One of them had the hilariously offensive title "Educating the Trainable Mental Retard".
    Funny, that's the name of the training manual for members of Congress.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    To me, words are just words and people can either give them power or ignore them.

I'm sure someone's brought this up already

Yeah, they did. Read the thread.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    She's pretty, but that's about it. I didn't know she was a vocalist until, like, yesterday.

Well here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1_C0qV94bg

You know that bit in Elf where she's singing "It's Cold Outside" in the shower?

That's her voice.

I was like :shock: when I found that out.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I mean, it's not like they don't have her singing in every movie she's in.

I totally love Zooey Deschanel...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Since everyone wants to talk music

on topic:
    NSFW NSFW NSFW
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PGzC6_WMw

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Since everyone wants to talk music

on topic:
    NSFW NSFW NSFW
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PGzC6_WMw

Thank you. This is more art than anything Zooey could ever hope to put together.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ^ first thing I thought of when someone mentioned window lickers earlier in the thread.

adytum on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Every new PC term just gives drill sergeants more ammo to insult the new trainees.

Seriously, these people are highly creative insultors.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    The term has changed from cretin to idiot to imbecile to moron to retarded to intellectually disabled.

Each word was coopted into an insult and subsequently changed to the next iteration in hopes of avoiding the negative stigma.

That's worked out well, and I expect it to continue working out well in the future.

This is my opinion as well.

I eagerly await the day when "special needs" is common insult.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    It already is.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DrukDruk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, just imagine saying "special needs" with an obvious sarcastic tone to someone. It sounds more like innuendo than an insult.

Druk on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think the idea with these terms is to make them less handy as insults.

Fag and Retard are perfect for insults, they're easy to say and probably for other reasons I can't articulate properly.

override367 on
  • Options
    DraculaDracula DARCUL DAS WAMPY Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There is a local building titled the Mental Retardation Association. Now they will hopefully change the name.

Dracula on
This discussion has been closed.