As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPad killer Notion Ink Adam.. Order today! Now Even Cheaper!!

13»

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    I think that's a fair point, but it has more to do with how manufacturers are using Android. Not every phone HAS to be a super computer (and not everyone has been.) The LG Optimus is a great example of the potential for Android to be something different for consumers, as are the Nook models. The SuperPhone model that the Nexxus One launched is absolutely a niche thing, but Android is designed to become something different. Essentially, Android has the potential to become what Linux would be if anyone actually knew what it was. I saw a Printer the other day that had a control tablet that was built on top of Android. THAT is the potential that Android has for the mass market, moreso than the Nexus S. Android is HOW your toaster will run MSOffice.

Oh, definitely, I think Android has huge potential in any sort of connected environment. Especially in not being limited to a specific hardware range, the way iOS is. We should see some really great developments out of it. It's already very successful, so there's no longer any question of whether or not it will stand up against iOS from a sustainability point of view.
    Foomy wrote: »
    hey guys, take it to the android thread with your discussions on platform fragmentation and such.

We's just talkin' yo!

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So has there been any announcement when the Pixel Qi screen versions will be able to be ordered again?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Yes. It helps market share quite a bit when your platform supports bargain bin phones that can't run any app on the first splash page of Marketplace and doesn't count non-WWAN enabled iOS devices in its statistical analysis.

Although I like that you think that these companies which make tens of millions of dollars on iOS don't know how to sell games. That's great.

A) Bargain bin phones means a larger potential customer base. That is a good thing. Program a less powerful app that can run on those phones. Seriously, the whole "prestige" model only works if the entire ecosystem is built around it, and you are missing out on huge swathes of the population.

B) They don't know how to sell games ON ANDROID, clearly. Selling two different things requires two different methods. The idea that everything should work as a straight port from iOS is absurd. The code isnt' a straight port, why should the business model be?

Like I said, as more companies lead on Android, you'll see business models built around Android, rather than built around iOS, that work just fine on Android.

Selling a product is often more work than producing it is. Especially when you're talking abpout niche luxury products like cell phone apps.

Evander on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So has there been any announcement when the Pixel Qi screen versions will be able to be ordered again?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I'd guess a month, maybe 2. Pixel Qi screens are in hot demand and unlike normal lcd's only one company is making them.

but there hasn't been an official announcement yet.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    Well, from a consumer viewpoint it's an issue whenever there's an app you can get for 'x' platform but not for 'x variation 1' platform.

But currently I don't think that's really any more applicable to android than it is to Apple.

I by far think android's bigger problem is in aiming to be a bit too much of a true operating system. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal being a tech geek: but I don't think that's the direction technology in the name of consumerism is going. People don't want computers that run MS Office. People want toasters that do.

In the UK Android is getting a problem with phones having different versions of android depending on which network you're phone is running with. where as you might have android 2.2 or what ever ready for you're phone by manufactures but the network wont release it without having Orange, T-mobile, Vodafone software running on it causing delay or in most cases ignoring the software update completely as newer phones take the networks support priority. In a sense its another layer of fragmentation ontop of that with the the app issue of compatibilities with other platforms.

*Back to topic*

With the Norton Ink Adam will be interesting to see what battery life the device has and if the switch between the Pixel Qi screen and the standard screen has any major differences with battery life/ performance etc.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    New interview with Rohan is up over at android police.
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/12/17/exclusive-wet-ink-our-interview-with-notion-inks-rohan-shravan/

and there is suposed to be a video showing off the device coming out today as well.

Foomy on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    No marketplace then, that's a shame.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    first video is out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PtkPaiv1dw&feature=player_embedded#!

the Ui and apps look pretty good.

edit: changed link to the higher quality video

Foomy on