As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam | CHRISTMAS SALE! - Wait for Daily Deals on Games You Want

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love that my first reaction to hearing about a Steam sale is not delight, but panic.

How did this happen.

Entriech on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I just need the claptrap DLC for it. But I feel I'm done with the game now tbh.

it's not made by gearbox - they farmed it out to some random small-time devs - and it shows. don't expect something as good as knoxx.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    HAY GUYS...

Talk to me about PoP. I played through (and enjoyed) Sands of Time on ye olde X-Box...should I get any of the newer games?

Don't do it. The newer ones have the terrible Ubisoft DRM.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Ubisoft+DRM

Just read a few of those articles and you'll understand.

yeah, i LOVED PoP 08, but ever since they dicked me over by withholding the ending to the fucking game, my boycott of ubisoft has been absolute and complete. i don't see this sale changing it, either.

Oh..... man. You had to remind of that ending. It was terrible. I killed sooo many kittens to feel better afterward.

I just pretend that the game ends before the "everything you just did was for nothing" part of the ending. I was fine with that.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So much good stuff on today's sale, a shame I really can't afford any of it. I've been waiting so long for a deal on FEAR like today's, but I'd really like to be able to pay for gas this week and all.

SMB on the other hand is fairly tempting and affordable, but I'm going to see where I stand on that around the last minute.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Hoping Borderlands DLC gets a deal do I can get claptraps for cheap.

This. I have Borderlands on Steam, now I need all the DLC for cheap. Super cheap. :P

You should get deus ex first. seriously.

Big Classy on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This. I have Borderlands on Steam, now I need all the DLC for cheap. Super cheap. :P

Never played Deus Ex, heard plenty enough about it though. :P

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can finally get a near complete version of Europa Universalis 3 and Europa Universalis: Rome for $20. Can't wait to get home.

Fellhand on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Any opinions on the best Railroad game? The 2k pack has Sid Meier's Railroads!, Railroad Tycoon 2 Plat and Railroad Tycoon 3.

I may just buy them all.

Railworks
    Someone had to do it

Ok, so whats the best Railroad game for someone who's NOT a millionaire?

Well I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and I'd say Sid Meier's Railroads! is the best because RT3 didn't work for me, and because RT2 is a less pretty and less big version of Sid Meier's

Thanks for letting me know, im Win7 64 too, so thats valuable info.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    WHAT IS THIS WITCHERY
    bc2regioni.jpg

I am also not eligible to buy the Rockstar pack.

I am in Mexico, I thought I was considered in the US region when buying shit from Steam, is this a new region? God dammit.

Satsumomo on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Someone already gifted it to me last time around, but.. Invisible War? Any good?

adytum on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Here is my pie:
    pie.jpg

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2010

So many dead kitties :(

Big Classy on
    edited December 2010
    adytum wrote: »

Someone already gifted it to me last time around, but.. Invisible War? Any good?

Heck no. Be glad you didn't have to buy a pack and get that sorry excuse for a sequel.

Big Classy on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

:( I shall revive them back to life with your help!

edit: and I guess don't play Invisible War?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I know it's only 50 cents and if you want it you've probably bought it but, winterbottom contest go!

All you have to do is draw a fancy pie in paint. Will take the first 10 entries and pick a winner.

lordcrustyfillinge.png

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited December 2010

:( I shall revive them back to life with your help!

:^:
    Just think of Invisible war as a completely different game series.

Big Classy on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I haven't played Deus Ex either. I'm afraid I won't enjoy it and the millions of fans will beat me up. So I've just been waiting for Human Revolution because it looks like hot shit.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

This is squarely where I'm sitting.

Ditto.

Trippo

I know ultimately i am going to crack and pick up BC2. its like when you go to a store and see something that you really want but know you shouldn't buy it, so you "hold" on to it so you can decide, when in actuality you have already decided and are fooling yourself that you might not really buy it.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Entriech wrote: »
    I love that my first reaction to hearing about a Steam sale is not delight, but panic.

How did this happen.
    I'm much the same. I'm also glad the Steam value calculator doesn't seem to be working. I don't want to know how much I've spent, total. It scares me.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Deus Ex for $3 and Lego Batman for $5? Yes please!

Captain Carrot on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If a game goes on sale now, will it go on sale again later in the week, possibly for less?

emp123 on
  • Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh great! Finally I decide to get Fallout 3: GOTY and for some reason Steam declined my debit card.

It worked perfectly during the treasure hunt, did you didn't like my monies Steam?!

... Is it common during these sales for errors like this to appear? or is it on my end?

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    Someone please buy Stranger's Wrath and tell me it is perfect and beautiful just like the xbox version so I can buy it and a live a happy life.
    One concern I have is that the store page only has fullscreen screenshots, does anyone know if this version supports widescreen?

Haven't bought my copy yet but the same people that're doing the PS3 version, ported it to PC. So, it should look better than the Xbox version in some areas and have widescreen. Better yet, when they finish all the improvements made to the PS3 version, they've indicated that they'll patch the rest of the improvements into the PC version.

50% off today, 25% off for the rest of the sale. Get it people!
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Disappointed Underworld isn't even cheaper. I was hoping for a pack of some kind with all the TR titles in. I am not happy. :(

I hear they are making one (like, a retail pack). Wait a year and I'm sure Steam will have it for super cheap :P

That's just Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, none of the others. And it's only for PS3 anyway (part of the HD Collections Sony's doing), so I doubt it'll change much.
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Airan wrote: »
    WOO YEAH BC2 FOR £6.79 HOT DIGGITY

Huh.

It's double that here. Sometimes I despair for region pricing.

No wait, always.

GBP vs USD, silly.

Anyway, my current cart:
    The OddBoxx - $12.50
    Deus Ex Collection - $2.99 (already have but eh, I'll get them on Steam too)
    Super Meat Boy - $3.75

I tried going through the other <$5 deals but it'd randomly screw up on me every couple of pages and I'd have to start again. So I think that's it for me today.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I know it's only 50 cents and if you want it you've probably bought it but, winterbottom contest go!

All you have to do is draw a fancy pie in paint. Will take the first 10 entries and pick a winner.

This is all I could think of.

pietothepi.png

iamthepieman on
  • ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emp123 wrote: »
    If a game goes on sale now, will it go on sale again later in the week, possibly for less?

I, too, am quite interested to know the answer to this question. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but it'd be nice to get confirmation from those of you who have done this a bit more than I have.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
    edited December 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I haven't played Deus Ex either. I'm afraid I won't enjoy it and the millions of fans will beat me up. So I've just been waiting for Human Revolution because it looks like hot shit.

Something to make the wait easier.

Big Classy on
    edited December 2010
    Listen up, heathens.

Ok I don't know how it happened but some of you haven't played Deus Ex. Lets remedy that.

Got 2 copies of the collection to gift, and seeing as Deus Ex is all about augmentations I want people to design an augmentation that they would like to have. A basic drawing or design pictue is fine.

Gonna take the first 10 entries or however many after about an hour and the 2 funniest/most awesome/ridiculous ones win.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited December 2010
    Haven't bought my copy yet but the same people that're doing the PS3 version, ported it to PC. So, it should look better than the Xbox version in some areas and have widescreen. Better yet, when they finish all the improvements made to the PS3 version, they've indicated that they'll patch the rest of the improvements into the PC version.

50% off today, 25% off for the rest of the sale. Get it people!

That's just Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, none of the others. And it's only for PS3 anyway (part of the HD Collections Sony's doing), so I doubt it'll change much.

GBP vs USD, silly.

Anyway, my current cart:
    The OddBoxx - $12.50
    Deus Ex Collection - $2.99 (already have but eh, I'll get them on Steam too)
    Super Meat Boy - $3.75

I tried going through the other <$5 deals but it'd randomly screw up on me every couple of pages and I'd have to start again. So I think that's it for me today.
    I'm in New Zealand.

Like Australia, we have the Steam store in USD. Our prices are doubled for no reason whatsoever, there isn't even a currency conversion to hide it.

(Though, they could pretty much change it to AUD now, no one would know the difference)

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh great! Finally I decide to get Fallout 3: GOTY and for some reason Steam declined my debit card.

It worked perfectly during the treasure hunt, did you didn't like my monies Steam?!

... Is it common during these sales for errors like this to appear? or is it on my end?

I've had problems like this as well. Wait for a little while and try again.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Listen up, heathens.

Ok I don't know how it happened but some of you haven't played Deus Ex. Lets remedy that.

Got 2 copies of the collection to gift, and seeing as Deus Ex is all about augmentations I want people to design an augmentation that they would like to have. A basic drawing or design pictue is fine.

gonna take the first 10 entries or however many after about and hour and the 2 funniest/most awesome/ridiculous ones win.

If we've never played Deus Ex then I imagine your not looking for something that would fit in the Deus Ex universe right?

iamthepieman on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

Something to make the wait easier.

Haha, thanks man!

You have filled me with christmas joy.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Listen up, heathens.

Gonna take the first 10 entries or however many after about an hour and the 2 funniest/most awesome/ridiculous ones win.

I'm totally doing it wrong it seems :P

Big Classy on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emp123 wrote: »

I, too, am quite interested to know the answer to this question. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but it'd be nice to get confirmation from those of you who have done this a bit more than I have.
    Generally the daily sales are the cheapest a game will get during the week. A very few times a game has come back for a repeat sale on a later date, or been cheaper as part of a pack. Traditionally the last couple sales have had the last day of deals be the top seller deals from earlier in the week.

The best strategy is to snap up any daily deal you want, and otherwise wait to place your order til January 2nd.

Entriech on
    edited December 2010
    Listen up, heathens.

gonna take the first 10 entries or however many after about and hour and the 2 funniest/most awesome/ridiculous ones win.

If we've never played Deus Ex then I imagine your not looking for something that would fit in the Deus Ex universe right?

Anything really, no limits.

mere_immortal on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like meat.

:rotate:

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i started Deus Ex

it's both paralyzing and refreshing to have so much freedom

i wound up stabbing to death literally everything in the statue of liberty level

because stabbing is cool

i need to get back and continue playing it

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It still sort of blows my mind that there are people not just in this world but on these forums who have not played Deus Ex

joshofalltrades on
    edited December 2010
    I've had problems like this as well. Wait for a little while and try again.
    It appears their store is currently being overwhelmed with traffic.

Give it a couple of hours, and you'll probably be fine.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Grabbed Oddboxx, Bad Company 2, Indie Fright Pack, Indie Future Pack, Monkey Island 1, and the LucasArts Adventure Pack

I wasn't spectacularly worried about Monkey Island 1 or the LucasArts Adventure Pack being a daily deal down the line

Now I can resume staring at the Square-Enix catalogue without worrying about Steam wiping out my cart again for some reason.

Maddoc on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For all the people getting Deus Ex for the first time. First of all why only now you heathens!

Also go here: http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

It will let you run it much better on modern systems.

Thanks for this :)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.