As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New PATV Episode and Comic for Monday December 20th

• GalacticGalactic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wanna make a movie about Nazis and make Hitler black.

Galactic on
    ^_-;

Too Galactic for you.
  • Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Please to be noting that, according to Wikipedia, Heimdall was also known as the "White God".

Fucking Lord of the Rings Movies, casting a white guy in the role of Gandalf the Grey. They didn't even TRY to make his skin grey!

Brian888 on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brian888 wrote: »
    Please to be noting that, according to Wikipedia, Heimdall was also known as the "White God".

Fucking Lord of the Rings Movies, casting a white guy in the role of Gandalf the Grey. They didn't even TRY to make his skin grey!

Don't even get me started about Green Lantern...

KalTorak on
  • CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    let them cast Jackie fucking Chan as Thor for all I give a shit.

I strongly support the idea of having a chinese guy play a norse god who speaks in Shakespearean english.

Candymancer on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah how come they've never had a paraplegic green lantern?!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    token+black.jpg

6d.jpg

Token%20Black%20Guy.png

BarackObamaHS.jpg

yYVS2ZIYLp2kqa1sF7CpmJB8o1_500.jpg

southpark-withapologiestojessejackson_1173403281.jpg

wookies.jpg

token-black-man-demotivational-poster-1221603371.jpg

Can you see what I'm saying? Hopefully it's not drowned out by Lord Holkins and the inevitable mob of disciples screaming out some close relative of Godwin's Law in a collective voice as shrill and obnoxious as the one they're trying to combat.

Cultural deconstruction, my pasty white arse-cheeks.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah comic book guy, reading you loud and clear

Langly on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah how come they've never had a paraplegic green lantern?!

There was a blind one!
    wikipedia wrote:
    Rot Lop Fan

Rot Lop Fan is one of several unorthodox members of the Green Lantern Corps created by Alan Moore in Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #3 (1987). After his introduction, he later occasionally appears in Green Lantern Corps group scenes.

In the Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #3 story "In the Blackest Night", Katma Tui is sent by the Guardians of the Universe to a lightless region of space known as the Obsidian Deeps, in order to recruit a new Green Lantern to protect that region of space. Despite the absolute darkness of the Deeps, Katma's power ring led her unerringly to a completely fearless and honest resident of the Deeps: Rot Lop Fan. However, as Rot Lop Fan's species had evolved in darkness, they had no concept of light and color, and thus Katma Tui was unable to explain how the power ring worked (it projects solid rays of light manifested by the bearer's will power).

Realizing that his species operates by hearing, Katma reshapes the power ring from a lantern into a bell, and describes the Green Lantern Corps as the "F-Sharp Bell Corps"- "F-Sharp" being a reassuring note for Rot Lop Fan's race in the same manner that green is a reassuring color, and the ring's powers in terms of sound instead of light. She also composes a new oath for him to recite.

In loudest din or hush profound
    my ears hear evil's slightest sound
    let those who toll out evil's knell
    beware my power, the F-Sharp Bell!

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Norse Gods aren't real

Who gives a shit what skin color they have in anything

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

According to Wiki thor is red haired and red bearded.

Which is to say that anyone looking for faithfulness to Norse myth in the movie adaptaion of a comic book super hero is a silly goose.

Inquisitor on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not to mention they are mythological characters

They could be portrayed on film as sentient ham sandwiches and it would still be "accurate".

Fatty McBeardo on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The "they're not real" argument is pointless. If there were a live action film about Dora the Explorer played by an Indian girl, I think people would be a lot more pissed off. She's not real, but she is famously Hispanic.

Do I care? Not at all, but I do see why both sides of the argument are legitimate.

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited December 2010
    I mean, if you were trying to bring the Edda to life, I think that an argument could be made to make the cast completely, ethnically European, just from an anthropological standpoint. I mean, these are the made up gods of a group of people who would, in all likelihood, never have seen a black person or even knew that they existed. It's not crazy to think that their pantheon would be misrepresented by having a black character in what would, historically, not have been in the minds of the oral storytellers and writers of Norse mythology.

This, however, is not about Norse mythology. It is about aliens who use Norse mythology as a front for their interactions with earth.

Langly on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "You know what? If it pisses of some nazis, fuck it, let them cast Jackie fucking Chan as Thor for all I give a shit."

yeah stick it to those fuckin' nazis

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited December 2010
    Like, I would say the same thing about a movie featuring the stories of Egyptian mythology brought to life. If there were lots of white dudes running around, that would be pretty weird, and, I think, commented on.

Langly on
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I guess it was foolish of me to hope that the Internet would be done with this argument after the whole "black people in The Hobbit" thing

DeliciousTacos on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Like, I would say the same thing about a movie featuring the stories of Egyptian mythology brought to life. If there were lots of white dudes running around, that would be pretty weird, and, I think, commented on.

Well, as they mention in the episode, replacing minority roles with white actors is usually offensive for a different reason than replacing a white role with a minority actor.

KalTorak on
    edited December 2010
    I don't think anyone really knows if they are aliens from another dimension or just straight up gods in the comics. Some characters like to say that they are just highly advanced aliens. Even their architecture and technology from early comics would lead you to believe that is the case.

Then you have the Demiurge who is made up of all the life on Earth. Who gave birth to the Elder Gods. Like Gaea, Set and Chthon. But again you the New Gods like Odin who are said to be extra dimensional beings. not like the Elder Gods who are from Earth.

Thor is the Son of Odin and Gaea the Elder God in the comics. Gaea is supposedly the mother of all of Earth's Pantheons. The last Chaos War pretty much proves that. So are they really just Aliens from another dimension?

Who the fuck really knows? It's just confusing as hell. Like most comic book continuity.

Warren Ellis had a short story arc in Thor in the early 90s and he straight up made the Norse Gods into aliens. I don't believe that is canon, though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • nielsdejongnielsdejong Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    But what about that incident with "the princess and the frog" movie?

Many black people were complaining that the prince was too white, so they made him a black prince... Yet for some reason people had nothing against that.

Look, the Norse gods were all designed by the Nordic europeans. They had never seen a black man before in their life, so it would make sence that none of their gods were designed as such.

I personally don't care what skincolor he has, but it just doesn't make any sence for him to do so. Heck, what do you think would happen if we made an African god a white? Black people would not only oppose it out of racism themselves, but actually say that portraiting an african god as a white man is a racist act!

I say that if you make one of the norse gods black, you should also make a movie about africa and add a white person as a god of the black people there! :)

See what I did there? ^_^

nielsdejong on
    edited December 2010
    Did you miss the fact that the Marvel Norse Gods are not the actual Norse Gods? They weren't created by Scandinavians, they're super-advanced aliens or something.

KalTorak on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I honestly thought that this controversy was a joke until the new comic thread proved me wrong. Thanks, new comic thread!

I wouldn't mind Idris Elba playing Captain America. Anything that gets the guy work is okay in my book.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited December 2010
    They are still based off the ORIGINAL Norse gods, just with some Marvel flavour brought into them.

That still doesn't change the point I made.

nielsdejong on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the racial composition of every movie cast should be dictated by the racial composition of the united states per the most recent census

Quoth on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I wouldn't mind Idris Elba playing Captain America. Anything that gets the guy work is okay in my book.

I would, but not because he's black, but because I have a problem with anyone other than Mark Valley playing Captain America.

Fuck you Chris Evans.

The_Reflection on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Donald Glover should've been Spider-Man

mrpaku on
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    the racial composition of every movie cast should be dictated by the racial composition of the united states per the most recent census

Adjusted slightly up or down depending on source material.

Slightly more whitey in Thor, slightly more asian in Last Air Bender.

You have to stay true to the material after all.

Sticks on
    edited December 2010
    I bet the Japanese guy playing Hogun is feeling left out. Although Hogun's race has been kinda ambiguous. Even though he was supposedly based physically on Bronson.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited December 2010
    Sticks wrote: »

nope, government mandated race quotas all around

Quoth on
    edited December 2010
    Last time I checked they lived in Valhalah, not America...

Nor do the Norse gods...

nielsdejong on
    edited December 2010

I would, but not because he's black, but because I have a problem with anyone other than Mark Valley playing Captain America.

Fuck you Chris Evans.

He wouldn't have been believable playing a guy in his early to mid 20s.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited December 2010

Nor do the Norse gods...

american company, american movie, american quota

who cares what the source material is, are you some kind of academic

pffbt

Quoth on
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Fine

now on to the tricky question

what do you do with the blue people in Avatar?

Sticks on
    edited December 2010

Fine

now on to the tricky question

what do you do with the blue people in Avatar?

you kill them, obviously, isn't that why they are in the movie

Quoth on
    edited December 2010

Nor do the Norse gods...

So all the Aesir and Vanir are dead heroes then?

Or do you not know what you're talking about?

edit:

Not even just heroes but just dead and lucky enough to be brought to Valhalla in Asgard

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A new comic and a new Fourth Panel?

That's a pretty cool thing to do.

My opinion on this matter is pretty much "Why should anybody give a shit?", but it may not be the best opinion out there, since I took no issue with The Last Airbender's casting decisions either.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thor: You know the difference between me and you? I bleed red and you bleed green. I look at you these days, Heimdall, you know what I see? I see a god without a country. Not hard enough for Asgard right here and maybe, just maybe, not smart enough for Midgard out there.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ahahaha

"when is a white man going to get a starring role in films?!"

Vann Diras on
  • GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    is this movie about the comic books thor or the mythology thor

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular