As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

for Khoo RE: Star Wars Kid

Lazyboy013086Lazyboy013086 Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in PAX Archive
I think he would be a big hit at PAX. Everyone who attends PAX would instantly know and respect him. I would love it if Khoo could contact this individual to see if he would be interested in doing something like.....

Introducing Gabe and Tycho for thier first Q&A.

Doing a quick little demonstration before the Saturday night Concert.

Or even have his own Q&A on why he made the video/ what he thinks of all the attention it has recieved.

lol.

just a thought.

I'm watching you like Celery, yeah i'm stalking...lol.
Lazyboy013086 on

• Options
    ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As I understand it, he never meant for that video to get online and ended up suing. Besides, I'd really rather not see one of the panels replaced with a guy from an awful (and ancient) internet fad.

Thello on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm not talking about replacing a panel. simply adding another smaller one. or even having him kick off an existing panel.

But if he never meant for the video to get out on the web, which this is the first ive heard of this, than I would bet he wouldn't be interested. but still...... something Khoo could look into.

Lazyboy013086 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2003/07/59757 for the source. Yeah, he filed suit for $160k.

Thello on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would rather this didn't happen. Nor do I want to see Gary Brolsma lip syncing at any of the concerts. These people are neither cool nor funny.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    dissapprove

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    this is the worst idea ever good fucking christ

Weaver on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    this is the worst idea ever good fucking christ

QFT

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GUYS GUYS WAIT WAIT WAIT!

We should have the guy... from the LEROY JENKINS video, he is sooo funny!

Ooh ooh, he could kick off a panel or something!

EDIT:
    I just read about the SWK lawsuit. It is dumb.

You have to consider what was going through the minds of classmates who were just uploading a video that really should not have taken off. But it did, and now everything is on an epic scale, a scale not considered by anyone uploads a compromising video. Yes, that doesn't excuse them but when you factor in the fact that money won't heal the mind, it's just a slap to the face of people that may very well be simply victims of their own success.

Secondly, yes it's a really shitty deal for star wars kid but... mentally damaged?

First of all how familiar is "the public at large" with memes? I mean, how hard would it be to just pick up the pieces and move on? Since a very small percentage of the populace know SWK I'm sure he could endure the offhanded comment here and there and go through life until it fades from the memories of even internet denizens.

a) The uploaders may not have had (this level of) intent

b) Small % know SWK, yet his mind is damaged?

c) money can't help anything... unless satisfying "make them pay!" is helpful

This probably didn't need a going over given how old this business is.
    Anyway... the thread idea wuz bad lol!

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GUYS GUYS WAIT WAIT WAIT!

We should have the guy... from the LEROY JENKINS video, he is sooo funny!

Ooh ooh, he could kick off a panel or something!

EDIT:
    I just read about the SWK lawsuit. It is dumb.

You have to consider what was going through the minds of classmates who were just uploading a video that really should not have taken off. But it did, and now everything is on an epic scale, a scale not considered by anyone uploads a compromising video. Yes, that doesn't excuse them but when you factor in the fact that money won't heal the mind, it's just a slap to the face of people that may very well be simply victims of their own success.

Secondly, yes it's a really shitty deal for star wars kid but... mentally damaged?

First of all how familiar is "the public at large" with memes? I mean, how hard would it be to just pick up the pieces and move on? Since a very small percentage of the populace know SWK I'm sure he could endure the offhanded comment here and there and go through life until it fades from the memories of even internet denizens.

a) The uploaders may not have had (this level of) intent

b) Small % know SWK, yet his mind is damaged?

c) money can't help anything... unless satisfying "make them pay!" is helpful

This probably didn't need a going over given how old this business is.
    Anyway... the thread idea wuz bad lol!

Dude, unlike most memes like the ORlY owl and Leeroy Jenkins, the Starwars Kid is pretty often seen as satire in popular culture, I can think off hand 2 incidents that are directly reference him, One in Arrested Development, and one in The Venture Bros, its more like "more cowbell" in that respect

teamquiggan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    "more cowbell" didn't actually start on the internet. It was a Saturday Night Live sketch that the internet picked up and ran with. (SNL as a source for pop culture? NO WAI!)

Furthermore, Arrested Development sucked. (Venture Bros. is awesome, but not sufficient justification.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    "more cowbell" didn't actually start on the internet. It was a Saturday Night Live sketch that the internet picked up and ran with. (SNL as a source for pop culture? NO WAI!)

Furthermore, Arrested Development sucked. (Venture Bros. is awesome, but not sufficient justification.)

Sooooo, The "more cowbell" became a meme because of the internet? WOW, thanks for proving my point, no shit it was seen on SNL first, but it was pretty obscure for about 2 years, and wasn't until people had newfound intrest in Christopher Walkin, that it resurfaced.

Arrested Development rocks for subtle reasons that are lost on most people.

From Wikipedia:
    "Thanks to the creation of YouTube it may have been seen almost a Billion times.[4]"

Thats billion, with a "B"

"The video and its subsequent popularity spawned many spoofs on television, including episodes of the Cartoon Network's animated series The Venture Bros.(Tag Sale -- You're It!), Dark Oracle("Paintball Wizard"), and Arrested Development ("The Immaculate Election", "Sword of Destiny," "Prison Break-In," and "The Ocean Walker"). In 2005, CNET listed the Star Wars Kid as #8 on its Top 10 Web Fads list.[6], while in 2007, the G4 tv show, Attack of the Show, rated it the number 1 viral video of all time."

teamquiggan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You were trying to relate memes of purely internet origin (ORLY, Leroy Jenkins, SWK) to a meme whose origin was a major network comedy sketch show that has been running for decades. Its popularity initially was directly related to its SNL origin, which marks it as completely dissimilar from the group you are trying to put it in.

And it ultimately doesn't matter how many people watch or reference SWK. He hates it, he'll never willingly publicly appear in a context where he is representing it, and the number of con responses in this thread are indicative of how I think most PAX goers don't want to see him anyway.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You were trying to relate memes of purely internet origin (ORLY, Leroy Jenkins, SWK) to a meme whose origin was a major network comedy sketch show that has been running for decades. Its popularity initially was directly related to its SNL origin, which marks it as completely dissimilar from the group you are trying to put it in.

And it ultimately doesn't matter how many people watch or reference SWK. He hates it, he'll never willingly publicly appear in a context where he is representing it, and the number of con responses in this thread are indicative of how I think most PAX goers don't want to see him anyway.

Oh, I agree with you whole heartedly that having the Starwars kid is a waste of space, I was merely replying to Samir Duran Duran, about how Starwars kid has no cultural impact outside the sacred walls of the internet.

If it makes you sleep better at night, substitute "More Cowbell" for "Chuck Norris Facts" or "Crazy Frog"

teamquiggan on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I heard a bunch of references to Tourette's Guy at my school a while ago, too.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    star wars kid was even referenced on "neds declassified school survival guide" on nickelodeon as well as Drake and Josh, again on Nickelodeon.

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Foster's Home does a whole episode that parallel's SWK. Funny video is uploaded, becomces insanely popular, and even has a billion edited versions of it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

The phrase "more cowbell" specifically started with the SNL sketch, but for many, many years prior, Blue Oyster Cult fans joked about the cowbell in the song.

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What a horrible idea.

Watch this and maybe you'll understand why.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Relativiox wrote: »
    Linking that video is the worst internet fad yet, and you're a faggot for following it. Dear lord.

Thello on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thello wrote: »
    Relativiox wrote: »
    Linking that video is the worst internet fad yet, and you're a faggot for following it. Dear lord.

Agreed. If people need memes so bad, go to macrochan.(org)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    for Khoo RE: Rick Astley

I think he would be a big hit at PAX. Everyone who attends PAX would instantly know and respect him. I would love it if Khoo could contact this individual to see if he would be interested in doing something like.....

Or even have his own Q&A on why he made the video/ what he thinks of all the attention it has recieved.

lol.

just a thought.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    lazy boy is really the star wars kid!

Grath on
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    slacktron wrote: »
    for Khoo RE: Rick Astley

lol.

just a thought.

This is the reason why I linked that video, both would be equally BAD ideas.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    you caught me. just trying to extend my 15 minutes of fame. Damn you grath for ousting me. lol.

Lazyboy013086 on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    you are a mildly misinformed individual. Seriously, no idea could possibly be more theoretically mediocre than this.

edit: fix'd

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2007
    Don't be a dick, especially in this forum.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    BSR StashBSR Stash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Angry Video Game Nerd would be TEN times better! He's hillarious and likes being video taped!

BSR Stash on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh oh oh! Chad Warden, bitches.

To think I used have a wii in my caddy.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    He's not really video-game related, but I think the Ask-a-ninja guy is pretty funny.

As for the Star Wars kid, he's a joke. He should have tried to embrace his situation: start a website, sell some merchandise, write a book, etc.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    QuizMaster wrote: »
    He's not really video-game related, but I think the Ask-a-ninja guy is pretty funny.

As for the Star Wars kid, he's a joke. He should have tried to embrace his situation: start a website, sell some merchandise, write a book, etc.

thats what we'd ALL do now...but he was one of the first accidental webcelebrities.

xxhennersxx on
This discussion has been closed.