As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Solicits for March 2011

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Graphic Violence
full solicits up a day early

Highlights:

GL_64.jpg

Emerald-War-8.jpg

-War of the Green Lanterns starts, looks like Guy is asking Hal if he wants Pepsi or choke, motherfucker. And Kyle should never lose to John Stewart in a battle of constructs.

-Streets of Gotham #21 is the final issue and apparently the final part to House of Hush finally shows up, about 7 months later than planned.

-Azrael #18 is final issue

-Batman Confidential #54 is final issue

-Worst solicit ever for Generation Lost #21

poop.jpg

JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST #21-22
Written by JUDD WINICK
Issue #21 art by AARON LOPRESTI
Issue #22 art by FERNANDO DAGNINO
Covers by DUSTIN NGUYEN
1:10 Variant covers by KEVIN MAGUIRE
It’s the calm before the storm in issue #21. Beetle is dead, Max Lord has Checkmate and the hunt for Wonder Woman has begun. But Booster Gold has given up after losing another friend to Max Lord, and the JLI is left without a leader!
In issue #22, Max’s ultimate OMAC Project closes in on completion, and the JLI race to find Wonder Woman before Max finds her first. Along the way, Power Girl, Batman and one more former-JLI member will join the team – but will their combined efforts be enough?
Retailers please note: These issues will ship with two covers each. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.
Issue #21 on sale MARCH 9
Issue #22 on sale MARCH 23
32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

-Xombi #1 starts, with Frazier Irving as artist

-Jimmy Olsen one-shot by Spencer to rap up his backup story

Jimmy-Olsen-Cvr1.jpg

-Joe the Barbarian #8 finally arrives

TexiKen on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    By my count, this brings us up to 10 covers from the current JLA run that has the Justice League unconscious on the ground

33dz0qo.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Huh, I wonder what changed in a month. War of the Green Lanterns was originally announced as starting with a War of the Green Lanterns #1 special (like Sinestro Corps War).

Rans on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You guys are missing the best news: Sugar and Spike Archives Vol. 1

Aw yeah Sugar and Spike!

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Random Thoughts: -Oh hey, Cyborg Superman's back, less than six months after he was forever-killed. Great.

-Batman: Odyssey is still going? And it's a 13 part maxi-series? Jesus.

-Wonder Woman's cover is Silver Age-y in a good way. Superman's is Silver Age-y in a bad way.

-There's another traitor in the Freedom Fighters? Wasn't that the plot of the first of two previous arcs this team's appeared in?

-Alan Scott got the world's worst costume redesign. Yikes.

-I really should start buying Young All-Stars. The covers always look so fun.

-New Hitman TPB? Nice, maybe they'll finally collect the rest of the series. Also, that Geoff Johns Flash Omnibus is tempting. I'm not a fan of his recent work, but I recall enjoying his Flash, for the most part.

-Other than that, it looks like business as usual. The Bat-books generally look interesting, the Green Lantern books look like more space-punching and melodrama, and Outsiders is still being published, for some reason.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I got real excited and thought Amanda Conner was drawing a new Jimmy Olsen ongoing.

Dang it DC, why you gotta get my hopes up.

Futt Bucker on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, that Alan Scott redesign - the worst parts of the Firestorm costume combined with the worst part of the Kingdom Come costume? Ugh.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know why Scott Kolins is using a new style but it is ass ugly

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    From the scans that pop up it only looks like the coloring is different, as if they're going straight from the pencils. Haven't really seen a difference in his style.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hell yeah sugar and spike collection

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's $60 for ten issues.

I mean, damn.

Munch on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    I don't know why Scott Kolins is using a new style but it is ass ugly

What are you talki... Oh... Ooohhh... What is that even?

Also, go go Guy and fuck you Winick. Fuck you.

Edit
    I realise he's probably not going to stay dead, given his tv show and everything, but still, going by the last issue of Generation Lost I read (which was a few weeks ago, I've an enormous stack of comics waiting to be read because I've been lazy), he's turned what was once a good book into a horrendous one.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    By my count, this brings us up to 10 covers from the current JLA run that has the Justice League unconscious on the ground

33dz0qo.jpg

HEY EVERYBODY THE 90'S JUST KICKED IN

Furu on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    It's $60 for ten issues.

I mean, damn.

I know it is a hefty price tag

But goddamn it is Sugar and Spike and I will buy it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got real excited and thought Amanda Conner was drawing a new Jimmy Olsen ongoing.

Dang it DC, why you gotta get my hopes up.

Yo this is me

Also holy shit at the Ame-Comi Wonder Woman and Big Barda figs, who the hell is buying those

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Collectors of fine comic memorabilia. And perverts.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The green lantern event actually sounds pretty cool, even though by now it feels like we should have super burn out on Green Lantern color-corps events.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    people perving over Big Barda is nothing new

She is a conglomeration of all of Jack Kirby's fetishes

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also, is James Robinson really building over all of his arcs (Alan Scott is still with magic users on the moon)? I fell really far behind on my monthly books, so I haven't even finished that JLA/JSA crossover yet.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That JLA cover looks cool

So do the GL ones

But more importantly that Jimmy Olsen one-shot! Olsen as a over-worked regular guy who has just seen all your shit before would be cool, aliens could turn up and he'd be like "can we do this quickly because I have a deadline for this afternoon..."

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    It's $60 for ten issues.

I mean, damn.

I know it is a hefty price tag

But goddamn it is Sugar and Spike and I will buy it

You'll be able to get in on Amazon or InStockTrades for like $37. Still pricey, but its Sugar and Spike.

Futt Bucker on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd like to point out that in the same month that the Generation Lost stuff is going down, Jamie is appearing in Supergirl, so I would say it's all a swerve. Here is the solicit:

SUPERGIRL #62
    Written by NICK SPENCER
    Art by BERNARD CHANG
    Cover by AMY REEDER & RICHARD FRIEND
    Nick Spencer (Morning Glories) assembles the cream of the crop of the next generation of DCU super-heroes in this issue – Robin, Static, Miss Martian, Blue Beetle, Batgirl, the new Impulse – to team up with Supergirl and take on a new villain who promises to define this generation as much as Darkseid, Lex Luthor and The Joker did prior ones. Good luck, kids!
    On sale MARCH 23 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maybe it's the classic Dan Garrett version, to round out the 'iconic' comebacks.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Also, is James Robinson really building over all of his arcs (Alan Scott is still with magic users on the moon)? I fell really far behind on my monthly books, so I haven't even finished that JLA/JSA crossover yet.

Robinson wrote a coda issue for JSA where he just throws out a lot of stuff regarding Alan Scott on the moon, and then it looks like Guggenheim ignored it for his opening arc and instead
    snapped Alan's neck.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Furu wrote: »

Did you look at the fig in the solicits, even by those standards it's ridiculous

Also I didn't know Kirby was into women that could beat him senseless

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Who isn't?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Did you look at the fig in the solicits, even by those standards it's ridiculous

Also I didn't know Kirby was into women that could beat him senseless
    Kirby actually based Barda's personality on his wife, and according to Wiki, her physical appearance on Lainie Kazan, after he'd seen the latter in an issue of Playboy.

Still, I think the Barda Ame-Comi figure bugs me less than the others. I mean, she's basically wearing her classic two-piece bathing suit thing, with some additional armor. It's still weird just because, really, who would display one of those in their home? But it doesn't bother me as much as Cassandra Cain in a shredded Batgirl outfit.

And since I was Googling these things, am I crazy, or would this actually be a pretty good Donna Troy redesign? I'd close the boob hole, but besides that, I sort of dig it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think I'm overreacting to the Big Barda fig, though the Wonder Woman one is worse, she's got a Vampirella outfit but with long sleeves for some reason

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think all these things are sort of terrible in their own way, and that Wonder Woman is pretty awful.

But personally, I think this one is way worse.

I mean, I hate to disparage the people that buy these things. I guess they're technically well-made, and some of them are kind of neat, weird little art objects. I just couldn't even begin to fathom looking at one of these, paying $70 for it, and thinking, "Man, I've got just the place for this in my house!"

Munch on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cheesecake will never die, but I will always hate it with a burning passion, and keep trying to will its death manifest in our reality.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I will confess to having a couple of the 'Women of the DCU' busts, on the little pedestals. I think the two I have are not too bad, though a lot of the range was pretty icky; I don't like a lot of the other stuff that gets put out either, like these ame-comi things.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

poop.jpg

Written by JUDD WINICK
    Covers by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    It’s the calm before the storm in issue #21. Beetle is dead, Max Lord has Checkmate and the hunt for Wonder Woman has begun. But Booster Gold has given up after losing another friend to Max Lord, and the JLI is left without a leader!
    In issue #22, Max’s ultimate OMAC Project closes in on completion, and the JLI race to find Wonder Woman before Max finds her first. Along the way, Power Girl, Batman and one more former-JLI member will join the team – but will their combined efforts be enough?
    Retailers please note: These issues will ship with two covers each. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.
    32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

that's it.

fuck comics, I'm out

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Htown wrote: »

poop.jpg

Written by JUDD WINICK
    Covers by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

that's it.

fuck comics, I'm out

he is appearing in other books the same month

it is a fake out

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That Supergirl solicit is misleading because Spencer isn't writing it anymore. Who knows what the new guy will do.

If the story does follow that same route though, that would be the first appearance of Iris as Impulse II, kind of worried how they're going to write her. She's not really like Bart from what was seen in Waid/Peyer run.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

poop.jpg

Written by JUDD WINICK
    Covers by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

that's it.

fuck comics, I'm out

it is a fake out

If I had to guess, Maxwell Lord is making Booster *think* that's what happened in order to break his spirit.

ffaristocrat on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

poop.jpg

Written by JUDD WINICK
    Covers by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

that's it.

fuck comics, I'm out

it is a fake out

If I had to guess, Maxwell Lord is making Booster *think* that's what happened in order to break his spirit.

I didn't even realize it was the new guy. I've been thinking, "Oh hey, there's Booster and Ted. Again. Ooookay."

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's not proof at all. That's just Rich Johnston saying [he thinks] it's a bait and switch.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    He probably dies and then comes back at the end.

And I bet Ted Kord comes back too, probably as the "other JLI" member that comes back.

I haven't kept up with JLI:GL so far, but those solicits seem to just be some weird re-living of OMAC project.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How are sales of Brightest Day and Generation Lost compared to previous maxiseries?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Something I found funny from that articles comments:
    Algertman wrote:
    You'll post anything to bash DC won't you Rich? You're like the Fox News of comic book websites.
    Classic. Poor DC, being beat up by the media giant Bleeding Cool and their distortion of facts...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid