As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Comics August 2007 Solicitations (Preview)

• Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never liked Blade.

I've also never seen a reason to.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    The reason why they arent solliciting the title is because the name "The Champions" is owned by someone not Marvel, so they have to rename it.

That is less funny. I am less amused.

Dex Dynamo on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never liked Blade.

Clearly the awesome detecting neurons in your brain are malfunctioning.

I kid, but seriously, what's not to like about Blade?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As you and I spoke on this before, Mask...he's a good character with great adaptations. I mean, would we even be talking about this book if Wesley Snipes didn't do such great movies? (sans that goddamn third movie)

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    As you and I spoke on this before, Mask...he's a good character with great adaptations. I mean, would we even be talking about this book if Wesley Snipes didn't do such great movies? (sans that goddamn third movie)

Every one always hates my ideas and shits on every proposal/theory I come up with here so I am just going to make my train of thought completely open here.

Anjin, I agree that the Blade movies and Wesley Snipes performance is what has instigated Marvel into trying over and over again to bring him back in title of his own. However I do believe this is the third failed attempt.

No comic series with Blade has managed to grab a large enough audience to keep a title afloat. No title has managed to capture the movies popularity.

Well how could they?

Well maybe if they could get the visuals of the movie into comic form.

So my suggestion is a Brian Hitch drawn Ultimate Blade comic.

Totally not possible since hitch is like the MVP of comic art these days but there you go. I think the only way they could make a succesful Blade comic is if they some how made the Blade movies cannon for an Ultimate Blade title and just started off where the movie left off, ultimately (pun?) tying Blade into Ultimates continuity and giving the Ultimate Marvel Universe an Ultimate Midnight Sons event which sheds light on the mystic/necro underbelly of the Ultimate universe.

graizur on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Art isn't the problem. The writing was dogshit on each restart, the MAX imprint being the worst offender.

Here's the solution:

Marko Djurdjevic - Interiors
    Garth Ennis - Writing Duties
    Alex Maleev and David Finch - Variant Covers

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    putting a guy like djurdjevic on interiors for an ongoing is a recipe for "holy shit why is this so fucking late"

DJ Eebs on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I might buy a Maleev drawn Blade book, but I would rather buy something else Maleev drawn.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    OMEGA FLIGHT #5
    THE STORY:
    The final climactic issue! And someone’s NOT coming home...

Hmm. So, someone dies, or someone stays in Canada instead of going back to the states? Or alternatively, someone stays in the Realm of the Great Beasts.
    Omega_5_SM.jpg

Of course, the cover looks like bad news for Beta Ray Bill.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited May 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    putting a guy like djurdjevic on interiors for an ongoing is a recipe for "holy shit why is this so fucking late"

QFT. I love Djurdjevic and all, but I can't see him keeping up with a monthly schedule.

An Ultimate Blade mini would be great, though. They can eschew all that convoluted 616 history and just use the movie backstory. Throw in a writer that actually knows what the fuck to do with that (ie, not the motherfucker that wrote Blade Trinity) and get Salvador Larocca on pencils. Hell, I'd actually let Guggenheim give it a spin, since he wouldn't be pinned down by all of Blade's history like he has been in his current run on Blade.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I've never liked Blade.

Clearly the awesome detecting neurons in your brain are malfunctioning.

I kid, but seriously, what's not to like about Blade?

The art, the storyline, the characters, the dialog

Bloods End on
    edited May 2007
    Are you talking about the current series or previous series? I can sorta follow you on the art, even though Chaykin got better along the way. I completely disagree about the story aspects, though. Guggenheim's doing a great job there.

wwtMask on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No offense Mask, I know one day we'll find something to agree on, but Blade seems like a childs idea of what's cool...

dude, he's like, half-vampire. He's got all the cool vampire stuff, but he can go out in the sun.

I've never really seen any reason to like him, except in the old Spider-Man cartoon, but I liked everything in that because I was a kid. :)

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2007
    Well, yeah, the Dhampir thing isn't that original or anything, but I like that he's a very proactive hero. Vampires are his primary thing, but he also deals with other dark entities that don't show up on the radar of most heroes. I dunno, maybe Blade's better off in minis instead of ongoings. That, or someone needs to revive the Midnight Sons book and get him fighting alongside other supernatural types.

Oh, and I've seen some of your posts in D&D, and I assure you we agree on a good number of things. :^:

wwtMask on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh, and I've seen some of your posts in D&D, and I assure you we agree on a good number of things. :^:

Agreed. And on the comics front, I think we can both agree on Luke Cage being an awesome leader for New Avengers.

See, if two people with such differing views on Black Panther can get along, maybe there's hope for this world...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

Agreed. And on the comics front, I think we can both agree on Luke Cage being an awesome leader for New Avengers.

See, if two people with such differing views on Black Panther can get along, maybe there's hope for this world...

Luke's emergence as a big time player has been pretty cool. Having just finished Essential Luke Cage, I can't do anything but cheer for the dude getting his due.

Speaking of BP (and Hudlin, I suppose), I now realize that Hudlin made a bit of a mistake in the "Bad Mutha" arc. Cage said that a certain gun was "my piece" back in the day, but the first few issues of Hero for Hire made it pretty clear that Luke was most proficient and liked to solve his problems with his fists. This isn't to say that he didn't carry, being in a gang and all, but it sorta goes against the way Luke was originally portrayed (that is, as a brawler type, not a gun man).

wwtMask on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, Runaways.

Rnways_28.jpg

I don't know if I'm excited or terrified at the idea of a new girl showing up. I've not really been feeling Whedon's work on this so far, so this could pretty much disgust me or renew my faith.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Huh. I didn't click on the close up so I'd just assumed it was Karolina on the cover. Now that I see the full sized cover it doesn't look like her.

I'm excited about a new character showing up, especially one from the mind of Joss. But then I'm a total Joss fangirl.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    So, Runaways.

Rnways_28.jpg

I don't know if I'm excited or terrified at the idea of a new girl showing up. I've not really been feeling Whedon's work on this so far, so this could pretty much disgust me or renew my faith.

I haven't really liked Whedon's two issues very much either.

Also, judging by the hair and the fire and all, maybe new girl is a new Phoenix? (i.e., not Jean or Rachel Grey)

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, Runaways.

Rnways_28.jpg

Also, judging by the hair and the fire and all, maybe new girl is a new Phoenix? (i.e., not Jean or Rachel Grey)

Rachel Grey's half Shi'ar daughter from the further future! That's just ridiculous.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited May 2007
    kdrudy wrote: »
    So, Runaways.

Rnways_28.jpg

Rachel Grey's half Shi'ar daughter from the further future! That's just ridiculous.
    ...or, since I think that issue is still when they're in the 19th century, it could be a "past" Phoenix.

Look, stranger things have happened in the Marvel universe.

Come to think of it, though, it might be
    The young version of the woman who connived to send them back in time in the first place

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SMRedSon.jpg

what

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, the Annihilation: Conquest covers -

ANNCONQSR002.jpg
    ANNCONSTR002.jpg
    ANNCONWRTH002.jpg
    Nova_5.jpg

Also, why do the Marvel Adventures solicits sound so much more fun than the rest of the Marvel U?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2007
    kdrudy wrote: »
    So, Runaways.

Rnways_28.jpg

...or, since I think that issue is still when they're in the 19th century, it could be a "past" Phoenix.

Look, stranger things have happened in the Marvel universe.

Come to think of it, though, it might be
    The young version of the woman who connived to send them back in time in the first place

Funnily enough, I thought
    initially that the old lady was Karolina from the future! But then I figured it was too similar to the future Gert storyline.

Desktop Hippie on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just because a teenager is on the cover doesn't mean she's a new addition to the cast. They could have put that vampire from the first season on the cover of his issue, but that wouldn't have meant anything.

And I was getting the impression that the old woman was Molly or another member who had stranded herself in the past and grown old, while the big flying monster was maybe an old Victor that had been repaired beyond recognition thanks to inferior past tech.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Just because a teenager is on the cover doesn't mean she's a new addition to the cast. They could have put that vampire from the first season on the cover of his issue, but that wouldn't have meant anything.

And I was getting the impression that the old woman was Molly or another member who had stranded herself in the past and grown old, while the big flying monster was maybe an old Victor that had been repaired beyond recognition thanks to inferior past tech.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the flying guy, but it still seems too close to the Gert story - older versions of themselves showing up.

Then again, Joss did do the mutant cure storyline in his first run on Astonishing, and then he was all "What? That's been done before?" Goddammit, Joss! That was even in the cartoon! You're supposed to be a geek, man!

Desktop Hippie on
    edited May 2007

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the flying guy, but it still seems too close to the Gert story - older versions of themselves showing up.

Then again, Joss did do the mutant cure storyline in his first run on Astonishing, and then he was all "What? That's been done before?" Goddammit, Joss! That was even in the cartoon! You're supposed to be a geek, man!

I guess that young girl on the cover could also be the younger version of the old lady from before. That's probably the most plausible explanation.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2007

I guess that young girl on the cover could also be the younger version of the old lady from before. That's probably the most plausible explanation.

And maybe she fell in love with one of them and wants to keep them there this time?

Desktop Hippie on
    edited May 2007

And maybe she fell in love with one of them and wants to keep them there this time?

Well, obviously, it would be Victor and not Chase or one of the girls. I guess that's the most obvious route things could take.

Personally, I find that jumping from Iron Man trying to arrest the kids to suddenly deciding working for the Kingpin is less of a violation of their morals than registering to "Hey, it's the Punisher" to "Weird angel thing and old lady?" to "THE PAST!" has made it hard to tell what this story line is all about.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    Also, why do the Marvel Adventures solicits sound so much more fun than the rest of the Marvel U?

That's pretty normal. Not being constrained by continuity and also being an all-ages helps. Plus, they've got some good people on the books. They're just good fun.

wwtMask on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SMRedSon.jpg

what
    Apparently, they've met before. News to me, but there you go.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2007
    Well, that guy in the background is a wizard who Spidey's had run-ins with before. I forget his name, though.

And I think I heard Red Sonja is going to be a possessed Mary Jane or something in this mini.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What the fuck. I mean...what the fuck? It was weird already but then you had to do the possessed Mary Jane thing. Drugs are the only explanation for this, and lots of them.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited May 2007
    Kulan Khan! That's his name. Something like that, at any rate.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2007
    SMRedSon.jpg

what

AHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AHAHA!

Oh... that is just beautiful. I'm so reading that!

Desktop Hippie on
  • dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wasn't there an old What If? comic where Mary Jane becomes Red Sonja or something like that? Or where Spidey gets trapped in Red Sonja's time I think. I remember seeing the covers for it.

dclee on
    edited May 2007
    So you know that Heroes For Hire cover so many people are bitching about (not here, but elsewhere)?

I just noticed you can see what is unquestionably a man's arm (probably Luke Cage's) on the left side of it.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So you know that Heroes For Hire cover so many people are bitching about (not here, but elsewhere)?

I just noticed you can see what is unquestionably a man's arm (probably Luke Cage's) on the left side of it.

What's your point? You don't see a guy screeching/cringing in fear while a phallic tentacle caresses his exposed chest and oozes a semen-like substance on top of him. Which is kind of the thing people are bitching about. Also, it's Shang Chi, not Luke Cage.

Munch on
    edited May 2007
    Munch wrote: »

What's your point? You don't see a guy screeching/cringing in fear while a phallic tentacle caresses his exposed chest and oozes a semen-like substance on top of him. Which is kind of the thing people are bitching about. Also, it's Shang Chi, not Luke Cage.

*shrug*

To me the point is that there's at least one male in the same situation.

And I have no idea who Shang Chi is.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    God, Wikipedia much?

Edit: and to be fair, 'a male in the same situation'; isn't much cop as an argument, given that he's not the character on the cover that had a rape and attempted rape retroactively inserted into her continuity, is he?

Wildcat on