As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SECRET SUPERMANS 2010 - Give freely of your heart

• arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am glad you enjoyed it. :)

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got those Kiwi gummies from Arcath last year, they're really good.

And Arcath, what cosmic phrases does Galactus say? I always thought he would sound like Dean Martin.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    I sent my gift out today

Don't be weirded out when you open the box and then the present is in an addressed envelope. It was like $20 to ship it in the envelope and I was like "but if I put it in that box it's $10?" and it was so I did that

Garlic Bread on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    arcath wrote: »
    GIFT GET!!!

Alright, so I got home last night and something was sitting on my front porch.
    A wild box appears!

5267528546_8e7e2487a2_z.jpg

I wonder what could be inside.

5267529490_4f1988ca21_z.jpg

A note was attached which happened to call me out last year for not posting and pics.....
    Sorry about that.... :(

Alright Secret Superman....Make yourself known to Galactus!
    did he come in a sack?!?

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Yup. Amazon gift wrapping ftw!
    And I still don't know who my Superman is....
    I promise I wont tell everyone you are really Clark Kent....

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SUPER GIFTS SENT!

Gonna be getting there in two packages though it looks like.

Expecting package 1 to arrive December 23, 2010 - December 24, 2010

Package 2 is expected to arrive December 27, 2010 - January 11, 2011

So basically, you'll be getting two superman Christmases!

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yesterday, I was rudely called out of my shower by a USPS delivery man. What did he have for me? The Singing Rings of Kathoth-Dum, bequeathed to me by my late, estranged uncle. But also, a package from my Secret Superman, one Robos Samuel Williford A Go Go the Third!

I'll put up a photo of the gift when I get home. Until then, you will all have to sit there and wonder what splendid gifts I received. I will tell you this, though: I am supremely pleased. (Thank you Robos, you rock!)

Delduwath on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow, that was fast.

Glad you think the stuff is cool, Del.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Just received a phone call from my US forwarding address company. Seems that the package is there but there's no invoice information in the package so they won't send it on until they get that.

Grifter on
    edited December 2010
    My gift was just delivered at work about 30 minutes ago, it is beautiful and I have a stupid grin on my face now.

Futt Bucker got me:

pa-ssfb.jpg

Officer Downe
    Marvel Masterworks vol. 1 Amazing Spider-Man
    Superman/Batman: Night and Day

And probably the greatest thing ever ever, Superman: Secret Identity! I had the single issues when it first came out but sold them thinking the TPB wouldn't be so incredibly hard to find, and was out of luck for so long. And now I got this excellent condition TPB just ready to be read over and over.

Thank you very much Futt Bucker, you deserve a Christmas high five.

TexiKen on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I came back to Southern California during Christmas break from my university and I immediately caught a horrible head cold. I'm sitting in a bed watching Law & Order marathons and feeling quite miserable. Something came, something from Superman! There were two packages that came today, one carrying these blessed items:
    IMG_20101220_151258.jpg
    IMG_20101220_151414.jpg
    IMG_20101220_151331.jpg

I also recieved a package containing this awesome addition to top off everything:
    IMG_20101220_151430.jpg

A Punisher collectible that comes with Amazing Spider-Man #129, the first ever appearance of the Punisher.

Langly, my Secret Superman, you are awesome. You officially brightened up the week of someone who has been really ill the past few days, and on Christmas! You're great and thank you, you kind gentle soul, all the way to Krypton and back!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    you shouldn't post peoples names on the forum

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2010
    I saw some real names in other posts, but I understand. Redacted for privacy.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited December 2010
    it was Langly

you can put that in your post (and smoke it)

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2010
    I shall

I will inhale the sweet fumes of giving

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    My gift was just delivered at work about 30 minutes ago, it is beautiful and I have a stupid grin on my face now.

Futt Bucker got me:

pa-ssfb.jpg

Officer Downe
    Marvel Masterworks vol. 1 Amazing Spider-Man
    Superman/Batman: Night and Day

And probably the greatest thing ever ever, Superman: Secret Identity! I had the single issues when it first came out but sold them thinking the TPB wouldn't be so incredibly hard to find, and was out of luck for so long. And now I got this excellent condition TPB just ready to be read over and over.

Thank you very much Futt Bucker, you deserve a Christmas high five.

Glad you liked the gifts! I know some people aren't really into Silver Age stuff but Lee/Ditko Spider-Man is one of my favorite comics of all time.

Confession time: I originally bought Secret Identity for myself but I was bit by the Christmas Spirit bug so I
    read it then
    decided to gift it.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited December 2010
    Well you were a very considerate TPB reader, and didn't bend the covers. And Officer Downe was a great read, lots of scan worthy stuff in it (saw some in the MOTW thread a few months back but the last double page splash, the best).

TexiKen on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GiftGet4b.gif
    2010-12-20140950.jpg
    since my cat was indisposed mighty Galactus has come to consu... uh inspect my gift.

2010-12-20141221.jpg
    OMG theres a envelope inside this box!?!
    Keith wrote: »
    I sent my gift out today
    Don't be weirded out when you open the box and then the present is in an addressed envelope. It was like $20 to ship it in the envelope and I was like "but if I put it in that box it's $10?" and it was so I did that
    oh
    and here's everything I got
    2010-12-20142102.jpg
    thanks Keith it all looks very awesome and I've been wanting to read lock and key for awhile.

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    oh hey it got there pretty fast. hope you like everything

the Spider-Man DS game is super fun but kind of short. it's a thousand times better than the console one though

Garlic Bread on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh hooray! You have one more package, but it is estimated for after January 1st so...sorry!

It was in high demand for some reason.

Langly on
    edited December 2010
    How did Galactus get from my mantle to your bed?

That fucker is sleeping around on me.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    My mom said a package came in today from Amazon, and since this is the only place I've given that address to I'm assuming it's Secret Supermans

I won't be able to get it until Friday, but that's Christmas Eve so it'll be special

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2010
    Alright children, gather 'round and see what uncle Robos A Go Go got me.

Behind door number one we have:
    BlackHole-small.jpg

"Black Hole"! I've seen this many times in stores (mostly in Barnes & Noble, to be honest, where it seems to occupy a "see, comics can be literature too" position in the graphic novel section), but never even thought to pick it up. Now that I look into it, it seems like a pretty cool book; furthermore, Robos (whose comic-opinions I respect) says good things about it.

Behind door number two we have:
    BananaSunday-small.jpg

"Banana Sunday"! With art by the awesome Colleen Coover and story by Paul Tobin, here operating under a nom de guerre! It's unbelievably charming; it also seems to be a difficult book to get a hold of, so Robos, I appreciate (but do not envy) the things you must have done to get it.

This is super-awesome, because both items look really good, and fit my requested criteria - that they be something I wouldn't think to get for myself - to a T!

Thanks, Robos! I really appreciate it.

P.S. I'm almost done assembling your present, dear Secret Santee. I'll try to send it out before Christmas, but it's doubtful that you will receive it before Christmas; I apologize for that, and will attempt to at least make up for it (if not in quality, then in quantity).

Delduwath on
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, it is neat that he got you Black Hole, because I got him a copy for Secret Slowbos last year.

Wait, Slowbos was two years ago? Well anyway last year's thing.

Langly on
    edited December 2010
    Last year was Secret Spoiler!

Next year should be Secret Santos, Secret Sentry, or Secret Strange - what does the Eye of Aggamotto have to say about Christmas spirit, I wonder?

Delduwath on
    edited December 2010
    the secret fragging slowbos post was awesome.

Langly on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ill do it

It'll be called "Secret Sentry"

Solar on
    edited December 2010
    Give with the generosity of a million exploding suns.

Langly on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Come, Watchreindeer! We are festivity's only hope!

Wildcat on
    edited December 2010
    I want to see a comic about a man who's slowly remembering a life he's never had, and then it turns out he's Santa Claus.

There'd be an issue about his being the best man at Reed Richards's wedding and also hanging out with the Hulk.

Delduwath on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would buy six copies.

Wildcat on
    edited December 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I want to see a comic about a man who's slowly remembering a life he's never had, and then it turns out he's Santa Claus.

There'd be an issue about his being the best man at Reed Richards's wedding and also hanging out with the Hulk.

In the X-Men tie-in:

"Cyclops, won't you light my sleigh tonight?"

Glad you liked the gift, Del. I'm not especially knowledgeable about indy comics, but Langly had at least introduced me to Black Hole earlier, so I knew that would be a good choice. I also threw in Banana Sunday because I really liked Colleen Coover's X-Men: First Class backups (and because primates are rad as hell).

Also, I just wanted to confirm that I made it home and found my Secret Superman gift waiting for me. I don't have time to make my post right now, but I'm very pleased by what I've gotten. Thanks, cardboard delusion!

Robos A Go Go on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah man glad to hear it, without a doubt you were tricky - but your amazon wishlist definitely helped!

cardboard delusions on
    edited December 2010
    I guess when I said "indie", what I really meant was "stuff not on my radar". Which is what most indie comics are, I'm ashamed to admit.

I really love the simplicity of Colleen Coover's art. It's nice to see something that doesn't look busy, you know? With, like, wrinkle-lines all over the place and all that. I hope she gets more mainstream work.

Ironically, I also love James Stokoe's art, which is like the exact opposite in this respect: details upon details.

Delduwath on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah man glad to hear it, without a doubt you were tricky - but your amazon wishlist definitely helped!

The Infinity Gauntlet singles were a great choice as well. I love humorous takes on superheroes and Atomic Robo, but the book had managed to fly under my radar and I'd probably have missed it altogether if not for your gift.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I guess when I said "indie", what I really meant was "stuff not on my radar". Which is what most indie comics are, I'm ashamed to admit.

I really love the simplicity of Colleen Coover's art. It's nice to see something that doesn't look busy, you know? With, like, wrinkle-lines all over the place and all that. I hope she gets more mainstream work.

She seems to have her foot in the door at Marvel, and the results have been great.
    2uojssh.jpg

zvu6b6.jpg

The work's obviously at odds with Marvel's super-serious tone, but I don't see why they wouldn't want to use her to expand their all-ages offerings.

Robos A Go Go on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love Colleen Coover

she also drew the cutest Man-Thing

Antimatter on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Marvel even have an interest in expanding their all-ages offerings

They typically sell poorly because comic book fans can't be bothered to read anything that doesn't have serious adult situations, no matter how contrived

Look at what happened to Thor: Mighty Avenger

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They should give Colleen Coover one of the Power Pack minis. She did some cute back ups on Power Pack: Day One.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think the best part of all of this is everyone in GV who participated rocks. It was refreshing to hear all the stories and so many people be opened up to new things. I for one am glad my horizons were opened to Invincible because now I'm gonna grab some more trades after x-mas. Taking off to go home now, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

cardboard delusions on