As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Welp, I'm finally going to give in and try Blood and Steel. Anything I should know before I begin?

Hard difficulty. Peasant Rebellion organizer background.

Good luck.

Archonex on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Prisoners are your best way of earning money right off, but you don't need to use blunt weapons. You will automatically take a certain amount of prisoners using any weapon.

Missile troops can one shot you if you have the normal damage setting. Stay away from mercenaries until you have a good income stream. Archery accuracy and damage sucks, but crossbows and guns are godly.

bamjo on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cannons seem to do so much damage they're glitched, as I can kill 5 guys do 0 damage to all of them and get no exp. They also don't seem as nearly effective against the Rhodoks and just the Rhodoks for some reason.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What ever happened to the LOTR mod they had for original M&M back in the day? Is that still around?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alright, so in Blood and Steel, I am going to be a Barbarian. I just have to. What are these long term/end game challenges they warn about, and are they really all that challenging?

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Barbarians pay troops higher wages. If you buy a business in every town, and have tax income, this becomes a non issue until you are in the conquer the world phase. Unless you are like me and get bored before you take every town and castle, and start a new game. Then there is no downside to rolling a barbarian.

bamjo on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thought I'd mention that I, for one, am getting a kick out of PoP, just in case anyone's getting scared off by the other comments. Granted, I do have 8 GB of RAM, but I've never had it crash on me. And I still enjoy the challenging fights and the flavors of all the side factions.

I'm currently living in the hollowed out remains of Ravenstern, who made peace with me after I'd pinned their remaining lords (mainly, the assholes) down in Rane and one wooden castle. Building siege towers to take those wasn't worth the effort while there's fresh territory out there. Currently moving on D'Shar - a far run, but I'm on good terms with Sarleon and Fierdsvain so no reason to hit those just yet.

Blood and Steel is good, but it's still easy mode once you've got a line of gunmen for the enemy to charge into. And vanilla is like a tutorial where people fall over when you look at them in comparison.

Scooter on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heir wrote: »
    What ever happened to the LOTR mod they had for original M&M back in the day? Is that still around?

The Last Days. It's still being worked on. Sorta Mount and Blades own Duke Nukem Forever.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,5204.0.html

and

http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php?board=20.0

Been WIP for, what, 3 years now?

::edit:: yeah, looks like their lead modder vanished and took all his work with him
    Q: You've been porting this for almost three years, why can't you do it faster?
    A: The main project creator, Ancientwanker, was porting TLD by himself until April 2009. Even we on the Dev team at the time don't know how far he got, or how close to a release he was. In April, AW vanished without a trace. It took several months for the rest of the team to realize and come to grips with the fact that he wasn't coming back, and then decide to continue on without him. The main reason it is taking so long is because AW was the only one with the original code. We have had to rewrite all of the code one hundred percent from scratch, and over 95% of the graphics have also been completely redone. In essence, since June we have been making TLD almost completely from scratch. That's what has been taking us so long.

And apparently there were hopes to get it out by Christmas... but it's been delayed.

::edit again:: Looks like a preview was put out in November, not too shabby looking: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,145480.0.html

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Scooter wrote: »
    Thought I'd mention that I, for one, am getting a kick out of PoP, just in case anyone's getting scared off by the other comments. Granted, I do have 8 GB of RAM, but I've never had it crash on me. And I still enjoy the challenging fights and the flavors of all the side factions.

I'm currently living in the hollowed out remains of Ravenstern, who made peace with me after I'd pinned their remaining lords (mainly, the assholes) down in Rane and one wooden castle. Building siege towers to take those wasn't worth the effort while there's fresh territory out there. Currently moving on D'Shar - a far run, but I'm on good terms with Sarleon and Fierdsvain so no reason to hit those just yet.

Blood and Steel is good, but it's still easy mode once you've got a line of gunmen for the enemy to charge into. And vanilla is like a tutorial where people fall over when you look at them in comparison.

I've posted, but I'm the same way. No crashes or errors so far. It's not perfect, and I don't agree with a lot of their decisions, but the stuff it does add keeps the game interesting for me. I currently own all of Sarleon except for Avendor (which has been under siege forever by the Fjordsnavens), and have 2 cities and 1 or 2 castles left before I'll own all of Ravenstern. I think I'm about at the point of having too many vassals because I'm having trouble keeping them happy when giving away fiefs.

I've got a 700+ Jatu army raging around Laria that I have to figure out how to take down. My first attempt was... ugly.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    It's either the Mortar or the Handgonne something, as those two share the same model, I think it may be the Mortar.

It appears they have unique shells

Did you ever find out an answer to this, because I'd love a non horseback cannon to compliment my Nord God of Destruction during sieges.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    OeshyOeshy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Any chances of this game being a daily sale on Steam?

Very tempted to pick it up after having a lot of fun with the original game.

Oeshy on
    [Steam] Special
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's either the Mortar or the Handgonne something, as those two share the same model, I think it may be the Mortar.

Did you ever find out an answer to this, because I'd love a non horseback cannon to compliment my Nord God of Destruction during sieges.

I checked both, and I think they have a special, cannoneer only type of ammo. As both didn't do the big aoe explosion that kills fiddy men in one blast.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oeshy wrote: »
    Any chances of this game being a daily sale on Steam?

Very tempted to pick it up after having a lot of fun with the original game.

It's 50% off through Jan 2nd, at least.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whats a good way to make money?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »

slaving, tournament, straight up killing dudes in the arena, also depends on if you are playing mods or vanilla

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I checked both, and I think they have a special, cannoneer only type of ammo. As both didn't do the big aoe explosion that kills fiddy men in one blast.

There is a special explosive ammo type that both the handgonne and mortar can use. It only has 3 shots per stack, but it is damn powerful. You might have to hunt around the arms dealers for it. Both guns also fire solid shot, but if you are going to do that you might as well use the jezzail.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

slaving, tournament, straight up killing dudes in the arena, also depends on if you are playing mods or vanilla

nilla for starters...

what should I be using mod wise for a first time?

These early missions where its 2 or 3 v 1 are retarded.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it impossible to get more than one lord waiting to defect to your kingdom at your capital at once? That is, should I be immediately heading back each time that announcement comes up to free up that space?

L|ama on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

nilla for starters...

Diplomacy. It adds to and fixes a lot of the late game stuff without seriously changing anything else.

Which early missions are you talking about?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    answered my own question: you can have at least two people waiting for you to give em the go ahead, if not more

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

nilla for starters...

Diplomacy. It adds to and fixes a lot of the late game stuff without seriously changing anything else.

Something where I hjave to take out 4 thieves that only come out at night in the city streets. Night falls, I check out streets, I die.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Something where I hjave to take out 4 thieves that only come out at night in the city streets. Night falls, I check out streets, I die.

What's awesome is when I try to sneak into an enemy city after some battle and forgetting I was hurt, then getting caught. Fighting off 5 heavily armored dudes wielding maces with a stick and rags with 1/3 of your health is pretty tense.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

nilla for starters...

Yeah those quests at low levels can be a bit of a pain, but when you get tougher, those guys will be like gnats against your might.

As for making money, in vanilla the absolute best way to do so is to raze villages. If you get hired on with one of the factions as a mercenary this is easy... just go into enemy territory and plunder away. Otherwise, just pick a faction you don't intend to ever ally with and attack their villages.

Either way, watch out for enemy lords of the faction you are pillaging... in the early game they tend to have much larger armies than yours, and if they attack you while you are raiding, the village peasants join their side, making the odds even worse.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're going to raze villages you might face problems recruiting troops for your army. If you do plan on doing so anyways go deep into enemy territory and raze villages you're unlikely to recruit from.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've got like a bazjillion hours into M&B and I don't think I've ever razed a village. In the long term having villages on your side is a better payoff than what you can steal from them.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My favourite ways to earn money vanilla early a ton of melee fights in the arena to beef up my fighting skills that go up when you use them. With that I get one ranged weapon I am comfortable with, a bit of armor over 20 body and the cheapest horse. That is usually enough to take on looters, just get at range with the horse, get off, take a few out, get on the horse, get distance again, and repeat till I have put em all down - I have been like 20+:1 doing that and get some good loot out of the deal which I can keep the best and sell the rest. Using those profits, go around to the local villages, pick up a few guys, enough that the looters stop bugging me unless I want them to and then I go looking for jobs from the Guild Masters, villages, figure out some small time trade routes and especially look for tournaments where I bet it all on me winning, those can net like 1500-3900 denari, which then lets me start setting up businesses and those are the real money makers over time, can often be better than villages. Usually by then the various leaders of the various factions are sending messengers to me to pick one of them to roll with, then you get a village, and once you get in good with the leader and few of his dudes 21+, plus having the armour and stats to start, survive, and put down the defenders of a siege on a castle, castle is the next highest pay out and have the benefit of not being raided but you have to spend money garrisoning dudes there - I try to stay under 1000 denari per week, top tier infantry and archery units I have trained up if I can help it, the calvary units I keep in my army. Towns are the best money maker over time and share the same stuff as the castle, so I usually put a few more units in there. If you know what you are doing though, raiding villages and trade are the biggest money makers, so getting to high pathfinding, trade, and looting skills if you want the cash, high engineer if you want to have better villages, high leadership/charisma if you want the cheaper army, high training if you want your units to kill, and high surgery if you don't want to keep replacing them with recruits.

At least, that is what I have found, I could be wrong.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    why get off your horse to fight? if you run by and slice at them you get speed bonus on top of your damage!

I've found most of the tasks that guildmasters and the like give you aren't worth much, and usually are more difficult then they are worth, castles also make a lot more money then villages unless your villages have a metric ass-ton of money invested in them, also are better for defense! Melee fights are a great way to make money early game, tournaments also can make a ton (i've been playing pop so my numbers might be off) but betting 500 denars every round nets you 20k denars if you win the tournament

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why get off the horse to fight when its a new character? Because the horse archery skill usually isn't quite high enough to hit a brick wall consistently yet while using a crossbow, bow, or throwing stuff. And as all too often I found that as awesome as the speed bonus is, those early riding skill and cheap denari horses go down real easy to the enemy and then you in it then because the athletics skill isn't high enough to get away before they are beating your noggin in from multiple directions as a mob when you have low beginning hp to start with.

And I say the Guild Masters later on for a reason, those hunt this down or carry this here stuff usually pays alright, especially since you were probably headed that way anyways and you don't have to do the fighting if you don't want to. And by pays alright I mean there were quests I was getting with payouts of 1000+ denari but I see your point when you get the quests that pay out like 40-350 denari, lots of travel for little pay across heavy deserter and bandit territory can be a pain in the ass if you aren't big enough yet - but if you are headed that way anyways and you are big enough, 40-350 is still more than 0 that you were going to get while trying to make it to new cities for the next tournament or find the right recruits, companions and gear you are trying to earn that cash for.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why get off the horse to fight when its a new character? Because the horse archery skill usually isn't quite high enough to hit a brick wall consistently yet while using a crossbow, bow, or throwing stuff.

Just checking, but did you know that the horse archery penalty is dependent on the speed at which the horse is moving, and is 0 when the horse is standing still?

So, don't dismount, just stop, and you should get the same effect.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    good lord blood and steel is fun, I just sieged a castle where I killed no less then 100 men myself, its always fun when you are drenched head to toe in blood

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why get off the horse to fight when its a new character? Because the horse archery skill usually isn't quite high enough to hit a brick wall consistently yet while using a crossbow, bow, or throwing stuff.

Just checking, but did you know that the horse archery penalty is dependent on the speed at which the horse is moving, and is 0 when the horse is standing still?

So, don't dismount, just stop, and you should get the same effect.

Ahh, ok, thanks for that, I must have never quite brought the horse to a stand still then.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been enjoying POP WB. Had to turn the settings way down to avoid crashing but it's still been pretty enjoyable. POP 2.5 was my favorite mod on MB and I'm not liking some of the changes in 3.0.

I don't care for the new noble troop system. Just seems like it added additional grind time to get your army in place. Especially when you have to rebuild after a big loss. Ended up modding it back to the 2.5 troop tree and I've been much happier.

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • Options
    local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Someone's solution to being overpowered in the endgame was just to make it harder to get there. silly silly dumb dumb.

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just gifted this game to a friend on Steam so he can play multi with me later. I get to show him the best ways to work with friends over Teamspeak to take/defend a castle and how much fun it is to piss off cavalry with a simple spear.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    I just gifted this game to a friend on Steam so he can play multi with me later. I get to show him the best ways to work with friends over Teamspeak to take/defend a castle and how much fun it is to piss off cavalry with a simple spear.

My brains just blinked... is there a co-op Warband experience? That would be fun!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

My brains just blinked... is there a co-op Warband experience? That would be fun!

Coop battles, not coop campaign.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ah.

I wonder if that would be moddable...

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm talking about playing online with other players; there's nothing like putting your skills up against a human opponent.

I want to show him how awesome it is to have your ass saved by a teammate's throwing ax flying over your shoulder into your opponent's fucking face, or stopping a cavalry charge with your spear and shield while your teammates close in for the kill, and so many other awesome moments.

And, of course, the all-important shit-talking and jackassery that goes along with online gaming. :rotate:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So.... if I only found one order, should it be Ebony Gauntlets or Silvermist Rangers?

Let's assume my entire army will be composed of them.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    OeshyOeshy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm dying for this game to be a daily deal on Steam.

All I want for xmas is a copy of Mount and Blade and Blood and Steel! 555+

Oeshy on
    [Steam] Special