As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3D Gabe Model

AtheyAthey Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
hey all - modeled Gabe. Used 3dsmax 7 and made the textures in photoshop.

Sorry the pose is so boring, this was just a simple turn-around compile.

GabeCompile002.jpg

Athey on

• Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not that bad. Don't know much about 3D, but it looks clean.

Eyes are bugging the hell out of me though. They look too big, maybe too close together.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, that's actually pretty cool! Does he have any articulations?

MagicToaster on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow I was expecting so much less when I came in here. That model is aces! I'd love to see it in motion now!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How long did it take you to make this? To learn 3ds Max? I've been dying to learn and once summer comes I'm gonna get my ass on it. It inspires me to learn. I like it alot.

McAllen on
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Watch out! He's got trigger fingers! Pretty good model.

Lewis Rice on
  • AtheyAthey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    McAllen wrote: »
    How long did it take you to make this? To learn 3ds Max? I've been dying to learn and once summer comes I'm gonna get my ass on it. It inspires me to learn. I like it alot.

I've been doing 3d stuff for nearly 10 years. Started with 3D Studio 4 for DOS. Learned Maya at my first college, and started learning 3dsmax about 5 years ago.

It's not a 'cartoony' style, but I wrote a tutorial on low-poly character modeling you can get to here:
    http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/computer/3d/character/page01.html

He's got trigger fingers!

heh... yeah. Actually, that's a part of why his proportions are a bit funky. I work for Sony and we're making Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow right now (PSP). I did this last summer because a bunch of the guys at work were trying to get the higher-ups to let us sneak in Gabe and Tycho as unlockables in multiplayer or something. Syphon Filter's main character's name is Gabe, so they thought it'd be funny.

So this model is actually rigged to our in-game skeleton which is SO NOT the correct size and proportion for this model. lol. I never thought it'd work in a million years but we actually had it running around our first level for a bit just for fun. He snapped to walls, peaked around corners, and held all the weapons perfectly. It was so cool... LOL...

But alas - Corperate is retarded and the whole thing got canned right away.

The guys still had hopes that we could make it work so they told me not to post this anywhere on the net just in case - but there is no chance in hell of it happening now, so when I stumbled across the pic on my work PC I figured I'd finally post it here :P

Athey on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Athey wrote: »
    So this model is actually rigged to our in-game skeleton which is SO NOT the correct size and proportion for this model. lol. I never thought it'd work in a million years but we actually had it running around our first level for a bit just for fun. He snapped to walls, peaked around corners, and held all the weapons perfectly. It was so cool... LOL...

Youtube.

Now.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2007
    Im sure losing his job isnt worth youtubing it.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Im sure losing his job isnt worth youtubing it.

Well, not for him anyway... :P

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That was a very useful tutorial, I must say. Could you tell us a bit more about painting the texture for a cartoony face, like in the case of Gabe here?

The model is superb and very graceful BTW.

Mayday on
  • HashyHashy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's damn superb for that poly count, and your tutorial is fantastic. Would it be too much to ask for a wireframe turn-around of Gabe for us interested in 3d? I've done a fair bit with Max, but only production-level stuff and I'm interested in learning enough to help out on a friend's torque project.

Re your tutorial: I'm seriously liking your insight on baked-in shading and clothing folds in textures

Hashy on
    :winky:
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    oooh you're working on the new syphon filter for psp?
    major props dude, dark mirror is my fav psp game.
    me excited for new one :D:D:D

u r awesum. lolz

beavotron on
    edited May 2007
    beavotron wrote: »
    oooh you're working on the new syphon filter for psp?
    major props dude, dark mirror is my fav psp game.
    me excited for new one :D:D:D

u r awesum. lolz

Shut up, really.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    forbe i will slap you
    in the jaw

beavotron on
  • HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I love syphon filter! or however you spell it! but for PSP? Ewwwww.... Cool model though!

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
    edited May 2007
    forbe i will slap you
    in the jaw

Prove it.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    forbe i will slap you
    in the jaw

Prove it.
    Those blintzes were terrible!

bombardier on
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Looks pretty good man! Think we can see a wire?

Any plans on rigging it? You should check out the CG Acedemy Rigging DVD's by Paul Neale (paulneale.com)

This guy taught me how to rig and he is goooooooooooooooood. He is also an amazing teacher. Its well worth the effort if you want to learn this stuff and give your creations life.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Mr.Brick wrote: »

Any plans on rigging it? You should check out the CG Acedemy Rigging DVD's by Paul Neale (paulneale.com)

This guy taught me how to rig and he is goooooooooooooooood. He is also an amazing teacher. Its well worth the effort if you want to learn this stuff and give your creations life.

I think you may need to read the rest of the thread, mate.

Grifter on
  • ENERjAKzeroENERjAKzero Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Very impressive tutorial... many thanks for putting it up

ENERjAKzero on
    eZEROBanner.gif

Petey+Blanco.gif
    edited May 2007
    Grifter wrote: »

I think you may need to read the rest of the thread, mate.

I just re-read right now and definatly agree with you here.

I could have sworn i didn't see any details on rigging before? Sometimes there are distractions around the office here ;) like work.

I also didn't see the tutorial link earlier. You've done a wicked job! Im sending the tut link to a few people I know who SHOULD know a lot of that stuff.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nice, I like it a lot. I mod games (I'm primarily a texture artist) and that's some incredible stuff. It's weird to texture things in a cartoonish fashion because of the alpha mapping and that all of those things.. I'm used to having incredibly detailed jeans for example.

Great job :) P.S. - see if you can get the video, at least, of Gabe running around in the PSP version of that game. Maybe that'd be okay.. If not, try to release it on YouTube when the game is published, please!

Black Ice on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey Athey!

Nicely done, I've always been a fan of your stuff. In fact, it was your tutorials at Bakaneko that got me interested in art in the first place (that was seven+ years ago.) Glad to see you around, still. Keep up the good work!

-Naki

nakirush on
    edited May 2007
    I'll try to remember to dig the file up and take a couple screenshots of the wires. The file's on my work PC and I've been home for memorial day - We got a 4-day weekend - woo.

btw, I'm a girl :P

Athey on
    edited May 2007
    Girls don't use computers.

Thread has lost all credibility!

bombardier on
    edited May 2007
    lol...

Okay, I remembered :P

here's the wires
    GabeCompile_wires.jpg

I don't actually have a video of him running around the level - I think one of the other guys in the studio did actually capture a small vid of it, but even if I grabbed it from him I'm not about to youtube it :P Not in the mood to loose my job at the moment :lol:

Athey on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm sure that there are any number of people, including myself, who would gladly recieve the video and post it ourselves. Saving you any retribution.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited May 2007
    I'm sure we can all bear to not see the video for the safety of this soul's job.

bombardier on
    edited May 2007
    Not bad.

How well does it deform? Looks like it could use quite a few more polies.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • RedPearlRedPearl Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really like your model and the textures, and since you're a professional modeller I thought I'd ask you a few questions :D.

I noticed that this model has a LOT of tris (threesided polies) and some poles (vertices where more than 4 edges meet) where 5 and even 6 (!) polys meet, although it's mostly on the head and hands. I've had two 3D modelling classes and it seems everyone are telling us to avoid them like the plague. I mean, you have to have SOME obviously but it looks like you sort of just "go for it" and model stuff the way you feel fit, without thinking so much about "the rules" (if you can call them that). Do you ever run into problems because of this "loose" way of modelling or have you been modelling for such a long time that you intuitively know what works and what doesn't? I know some professionals really don't care much about that kind of stuff (Stahlberg comes to mind) while others model using quads almost exclusively. Would be nice to hear your opinion on this stuff.

RedPearl on
    edited May 2007
    RedPearl wrote: »
    I really like your model and the textures, and since you're a professional modeller I thought I'd ask you a few questions :D.

I noticed that this model has a LOT of tris (threesided polies) and some poles (vertices where more than 4 edges meet) where 5 and even 6 (!) polys meet, although it's mostly on the head and hands. I've had two 3D modelling classes and it seems everyone are telling us to avoid them like the plague. I mean, you have to have SOME obviously but it looks like you sort of just "go for it" and model stuff the way you feel fit, without thinking so much about "the rules" (if you can call them that). Do you ever run into problems because of this "loose" way of modelling or have you been modelling for such a long time that you intuitively know what works and what doesn't? I know some professionals really don't care much about that kind of stuff (Stahlberg comes to mind) while others model using quads almost exclusively. Would be nice to hear your opinion on this stuff.

For very low-poly work, sticking to quads is really unessecary. Tris are not only inevitable, they're nessecary since polycount is way more important.

The primary reason to stick to quads is for smoothing. If you put any smoothing on a model with n-gons and poles you get some BAD results. It's just a mess.

And if I took a low-poly model into zbrush, and it had a bunch of n-gons, tris, and poles, it would be a nightmare to work with.

But obviously this model is never gonna get smoothed, and I was much more concerned with keeping it under 1000 tris, then keeping it quaded.

Keeping a model totally quaded actually generates more polys. You have to add in extra geometry just to avoid tris.

Here's a model I made a few months ago that I normal mapped, etc. This model is 99% quads. There maybe three tris in the whole thing and the rest is all quads -
    http://athey.moravetz.com/storage/3d/07_01_comp02.jpg

Our real-time characters for PSP games are full of tris. Sometimes we will put them in intentionally in places just to get certain deformations in joints. When you've got a tight poly budget you've gotta make the best of what you get.

Athey on
    edited May 2007
    Tri's a always unavoidable when dealing with most game engines. A mesh works in tri's and not quads. I can understand saving the poly counts- but it really does look like you should use a few more sneaky cuts in there. If your developing for the PSP then you your poly count is looking good. I can't help but think you could get away with less count up in the hair, and some more maybe around the elbows and other areas. Again, its hard to tell with out actually seeing it deform- but it looks like you have cuts in the right spots and if I was your TD or callin' the shots - I'd say cut and print (for a psp game).

You gonna do a Tycho next?

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
    edited June 2007
    You gonna do a Tycho next?

My husband keeps bugging me to. It wouldn't be hard either, since I could basically use the same body geometry with some minor tweaks. Really just a matter of making the head.

I just haven't had the time or motivation lately.

Athey on