As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mailing a gift, can I use this box?

Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm mailing a gift and the only 'normal' boxes I have here are large and being used for packing. I have a shoe box that is the size I need, and I also have a box that 12 Mac n Cheese individual boxes came in that would also be the right size.

Can I use the shoe box (it seems sturdy) or the Mac n Cheese box to ship something through the mail, as long as the mailing address is large and noticeable on one side of it? Or will I have to pick up a plain jane box at the Post Office, upping the cost of an already pricey looking shipping charge?

3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
Let me know if you add me on either.
Kuroi Ookami on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    If you're worried about the box's appearance, you can always cut up a paper bag and wrap it in that.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can use any old box -- just use a Sharpie or other permanent marker to cross out names/UPCs (a scribble is fine). And what Ceres says is true if you use USPS, but FedEx and UPS do not accept brown-paper-wrapped parcels.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just tape a plain piece of paper on the front and write your addresses on that, so that it's completely clear. You'll be okay with either box.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    You can use any old box -- just use a Sharpie or other permanent marker to cross out names/UPCs (a scribble is fine). And what Ceres says is true if you use USPS, but FedEx and UPS do not accept brown-paper-wrapped parcels.

USPS also does not accept paper-wrapped boxes

well, they might, but it's likely to be returned to you or lost because the processing machines devoured the paper and lost the address information

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Like Figgy suggested, I was just going to use a plain piece of paper with the shipping address, and cover that/adhere it to the box with clear packing tape.

MrDelish's comment about the machines is concerning though, are they likely to tear off the shipping address label?

Otherwise, thanks so much all of you for offering me peace of mind about using a non 'normal' box.

Oh right... If I include my address for return address, where does that go? Do I just ink it in next to the shipping address, state it's sender's address, and just have the letters be smaller than the shipping address? I've never sent a package before, so I have no idea the proper protocol.

Kuroi Ookami on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »

well, they might, but it's likely to be returned to you or lost because the processing machines devoured the paper and lost the address information

This. I'd use the box the mac n cheese came in as long as it's sturdy, and just tape a piece of paper that covers a full side of the box. Write your addresses on there and make sure it's taped down completely. With the post office you can never be TOO careful.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    While there's been some good info in here, I think it's best to go straight to the source for this kind of info.

http://www.usps.com/send/preparemailandpackages/preparingpackages.htm

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I guess I should point out I'm in Canada, and given the shipping fee the Fex Ex website gave me, I'll be shipping with Canada Post.

*edit* I should also note that I get lost trying to navigate their website, and though I tried to find the answer to my question, I couldn't find it there. Maybe the excitement about sending the gift is making me terrible at trying to search for the answer on the postal site.

Kuroi Ookami on
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Like Figgy suggested, I was just going to use a plain piece of paper with the shipping address, and cover that/adhere it to the box with clear packing tape.

MrDelish's comment about the machines is concerning though, are they likely to tear off the shipping address label?

Otherwise, thanks so much all of you for offering me peace of mind about using a non 'normal' box.

If you cover all the paper in clear packing tape it won't tear off. If you only cover two edges in scotch tape it sure will.

Also something to consider when using a non standard box. How fragile is your item you're shipping and how much give is there to your box? Just because it's small doesn't mean it won't end up at the bottom of a pile with a hundred pounds of other boxes on top of it. Mac n Cheese box should be fine, but shoe boxes are not recommended for shipping (FedEx is not supposed to accept shoe boxes).

And remember: the strength of a box comes from its corners!

Vesty on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    This mac n cheese box is made out of, and looks, as a 'normal' cardboard packing box would look, just white in color with brand info. I decided against the shoe box since the mac n cheese one looked far more durable.

It's not a fragile item, and fits snug in the box. I have the shipping label well taped to both sides of the box, with 'sent from' penned in next to it in smaller writing. My concern isn't other boxes being on top of it as it should hold up fine, but of it 'falling off the back of the truck', which is another matter entirely that I shall try not to think about. Insurance isn't an option, it's a sentimental gift more than monetary.

So at this point I think it's good to go. I guess this is solved, thanks everyone ^^

Kuroi Ookami on