As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear!Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!!
(or Histories of Gruesome Combat Mechanics and Ubiquitous Alcohol Dependency)

00000001.gif
April 19, 2011: Dwarf Fortress gains sentience.

Welcome to the mountainhomes of the dwarves! Starting out with a hardy band of seven pioneers, you will be beset on all sides by the threat of starvation, exposure, rampant idiocy, inexperience, tantrums, monkey attacks, hostile goblins, kleptomaniacal kobolds, accidental drownings, those goddamn hippy elves, being set on fire, upper class nobles that will make lives hell for your peasantry, and the mortal enemies of the dwarves: elephants carp goblin lashers.

v 0.31.XX FAQ

Since the last thread started the game has gone from 0.31.03 to 0.31.18. A lot has changed during that time, mostly for the better.

Q: So what's Dwarf Fortress?
It's a rather bizarre little huge roguelike/ fantasy world generator / colony management sim hybrid. With lots of dead dwarves guaranteed.
You start out with a tiny band of 7 dwarves, a wagon, mules and a pair of cats that multiply without any restraint and flood your fortress with kittens.
With a little luck (and if those goddamn monkeys don't steal all your food off the wagon again), your fortress will make it past the first winter. Or more likely it will collapse and you'll start up a new fortress, avoiding the mistakes of the first.

...before it all ends in a tide of blood and dwarf parts!
And then you start AGAIN!
8->

Q: So what does it look like?
Though it may seem ungainly at first, the game’s interface — rendered in what are known as extended ASCII characters — has a sparse elegance. As seasons change, trees, represented by various symbols, shift from green to yellow. Goblins’ eyes appear as red quotation marks; if you shoot out an eye with an arrow, the symbol becomes an apostrophe. On a message board, one fan likened the ASCII experience in Dwarf Fortress to the immersive pleasures of reading a book: “You can let your imagination fill in the gaps.”
DFascii.jpg

Q: This game is overwhelming! Where do I start?
A: An old-fashioned text tutorial is available here: Your First Fortress (our own BahamutZERO wrote that! Originally. It's been thoroughly edited and made more awesome since then.)

Q: AAAAA LETTERS EVERYWHERE OH GOD HOW DO I DO STUFF?!
A: A few keys will come up a lot. Pressing these keys will bring up a yellow X cursor which you control using the arrow keys. PROTIP: use the keypad to move the cursor around- it's more comfortable.

Q - Assigns orders at workshops and structures, or used to create rooms from a placed structure, like tables, beds, archery targets, etc, or to destroy them.
R - Battle Reports! The fun (and biting) really happens here.
T - Mainly useful for examining the contents of a building or structure, to see how cluttered a workshop is or what it's built out of.
V - Examines an individual dwarf, where you can look at their stats, gear, thoughts and alter their job list.
K - If you'd like to see if that U is an attacking Unicorn or a friendly hUman trader, this is the key you want. It basically lets you examine the contents of a tile. Pressing enter examines objects in greater detail, if any is available.
D - Designates an area for tasks. Hit enter to start dragging out a rectangle, enter to stop. Or hold down the mouse button and draw it in. Everything in this area will now be designated for whatever task you had selected, from Digging out rock, cutting down trees, or picking plants, or whatever else it might have been. Use this to dig out your dwarf-hole.
Z - Brings up your fortress report and tells you how depressingly low you are on food.
U - displays a list of all units on the map, along with current job. Useful for finding idlers and wild animals
< and > - Change the levevel displayed by one (up and down, respectively). Since you'll be using these a lot, it might be wise to remap the keys (I use / and * on the keypad). To do this, press ESC and use the "Key Bindings" option ("move/view cursor up (Z)" and "down (Z)" )

Q: The UI requires so many keystrokes, can't I use a mouse??
The latest version supports the mouse, however it's still somewhat hard to use effectively since it's limited to "drawing" selections.

Alternatively the latest version also allows you to make macros for all your common keystrokes. See the wiki for a howto guide.

Q: Do graphic packages work? UPDATED 3/8
A: Some do. The most popular, May Green's, currently uses 0.31.21 (March 8, 2011). Note that Mayday's version has a completely unique configuration from the plain vanilla version of DF, most notably some changes to the key bindings. See his website for more info.

It makes the game look like this:
DFG13.png

Other graphics packages: Phoebus' Graphics Set

You also may want to take a gander at Stonesense, a third party isometric visualizer. Keep in mind that it's a companion to, not a replacement of, the normal Dwarf Fortress interface.
Stonesense_screen.png

What rhymes with Stonesense?
A: SoundSense.
Mr Ray wrote: »
I'm loving the shit out of it right now. Not only are the sounds awesome, they're incredibly useful for providing feedback on things you might otherwise miss. Really can't recommend it enough. Go download it. Go.
Are you downloading it yet?

Q: What's different since 0.28.xx?
A: A lot. That's the full list - beware spoilers. You may want to try playing the game before reading the list. Here's a fun update from December 13: "Your dwarves can shear sheep and other woolly beasts now. There are sixteen new domestic animals. Eggs, vegetable oil and clay upcoming." Yay!

Q: What happens if I do this?
Just try it first! It's no fun if we tell you that you would have doomed all your dwarves to a horrible agonizing death beforehand. No fun at all!
Besides, it just means you get to do it better next time.

Q: I have a talented biter in my military and he is currently leading a biting demonstration. What the hell does that entail?
A: The military is a bitch to set up in the latest version, but Furlion has come to the rescue and prepared a military tutorial for us peasants.

Q: I'm water. What should I do?!?
A: Big flow chart: (hurr hurr)
flowflowchart.png

Q: By Armok, this is amazing. How can I give back to the legendary Toady One?
A: DONATE TO BAY 12 GAMES NOW

Q: Are there stories to be told?
A: This is what is so great about Dwarf Fortress. Every fort or adventure has a tale to tell. No matter how bad you are, there is always SOMETHING interesting that happens. Here's a short list of notable forts that have been immortalized in art:

Now get out there and establish a new outpost for the glory of the Mountainhomes!
STRIKE THE EARTH!

Important Note: Dwarf currency is to be called dimdums dwarfbucks dimdums, no exceptions.

(This introduction was edited by jaunty, jdarksun, SynthOr, Bahamut0, J3p, Xtarath, and Mayday. Thanks to InfestedGnome for the idea behind the latest military question)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
DisruptedCapitalist on

• XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One of these days(especially since it's winter break) I am going to sit down, and strike the earth!

Also Dwarf currency is known as Dimdums, for all you new dorfs.

Xtarath on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I have a refuse stockpile FULL of gobbo troll and other corpses ready to be butchered into bones, but my butchers never do it. Is there something I am doing wroooong?

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »
    One of these days(especially since it's winter break) I am going to sit down, and strike the earth!

Oops, I accidentally cut that part out of the OP... it's back in again, thanks.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited December 2010
    InfestedGnome: Is your butcher shop cluttered? It's possible the butchers can't get anything done because of the piles of hoofs and nervous tissue that have no purpose in the game. Try dumping some of it.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does stonesense still work? I haven't gotten it to start with any of the newer versions.

LockeCole on
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

A: An old-fashioned text tutorial is available here: Your First Fortress (our own BahamutZERO wrote that! Originally. It's been thoroughly edited and made more awesome since then.)

The link is broken there.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Someone in the last thread talked about how they where set on food FOREVER because of Hunters and Elephants. Sadly, what they failed to mention is the problem I am currently having, in that I am DROWNING in Elephant FAT.

If I was at home I would get a screen shot, but at last count I had some 151 pieces of Elephant Tallow, and over 1800(!!) Elephant Fat. I have 4 kitchens going and I just can't get caught up! I had to tell all my Hunters to stop hunting! And let me tell you, telling a Legendary Hunter/Archer/Marksdwarf he isn't allowed to hunt anymore is a bit nerve racking!

I'm sad that I can't seem to turn off Auto-Kitchening without disabling Auto-Tanning and Auto-Butchery at the same time. I just can't get my meals made ^_^;

FAT!!

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Woah.

Maybe I should look into Stonesense.

Jintor on
    edited December 2010
    A-Puck wrote: »

The link is broken there.

Thank you. Fixed.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    edited December 2010
    Alright, downloading the latest Mayday pack and booting up a new world.

Let's see what's changed.

Jintor on
    edited December 2010
    Well.

I was getting to grips with learning everything all over again. Had a good little industry set up, was just starting to get migration waves. Farming didn't seem to be working properly so I was out searching for caves. Found one.

Everybody in my fortress got eaten by a single Cave Crocodile.

ffffffffffff

Jintor on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Well.

I was getting to grips with learning everything all over again. Had a good little industry set up, was just starting to get migration waves. Farming didn't seem to be working properly so I was out searching for caves. Found one.

ffffffffffff

Been there, done that. Got the blood stained t-shirt that still had a dorf arm in it.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well.

ffffffffffff

Were you wetting the ground for farming? That's a requirement again in the current version.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish Toady was making the cash Notch is. :(

JesDer on
    edited December 2010
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Well.

ffffffffffff

Were you wetting the ground for farming? That's a requirement again in the current version.

It's all mudded up and everything. Light dusting of mud. Admittedly I only used a single square of 7/7 water to wet (It was the closest I had!) but only one of the things was being planted on consistantly.

Jintor on
  • sketchydsketchyd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i miss this game, but ive played too many fortresses to play in its current state. once trading is legit and real, i will take a week off and bury myself again.

sketchyd on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the caravan arc looks fucking amazing.

Jintor on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I tried to play this game....

I tried my hardest....

Then my cave collapsed and killed the entire expedition force...

Fuck this game...

Casually Hardcore on
  • BorogoveBorogove Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I tried my hardest....

Then my cave collapsed and killed the entire expedition force...

Fuck this game...

That means you're doing it right.

Borogove on
  • StarGuardedStarGuarded Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i made a dwarf fortress video with high definition art and music.

http://vimeo.com/18068444

if you don't like vimeo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESNRQFEzirA

enjoy!

StarGuarded on
    edited December 2010
    Beautiful, but your 'camera' is jaggy as fuck.

Jintor on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »

Or Dwarfbucks.

Mr Ray on
  • StarGuardedStarGuarded Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Beautiful, but your 'camera' is jaggy as fuck.
    youtube's flash player, not a lot i can do about it. i've noticed vimeo runs better on more computers. the source encode is perfect.

StarGuarded on
    edited December 2010
    Playing while listening to GiantBomb is fun

Jintor on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I should really build a fortress by the sea next time. Or maybe in the sea.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Needs more cats...

Other than that .. great work !

JesDer on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I feel that I am gearing up towards DF again, but the military and hospital stuff still scares me, also the steam sale is destroying my and my backlog

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited December 2010

http://vimeo.com/18068444

enjoy!

That is awesome! I'm putting it in the OP!

I love how the farming dwarf looks like something out of a Communist Propaganda poster.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think it's time for me to get back into DF after Christmas, to once again pursue my dream of converting a mountain into a glittering spire of waterfalls and glass (complete with an automated sanitation system to flush out goblins, blood and vomit). My previous attempts have been pretty good until such incidents as the entire mountaintop suddenly collapsing, a critical entrance to the fortress being left open by accident, or the elaborate and gigantic goblin-flushing mechanism disastrously misfiring due to the actions of a tantruming dwarf.

I haven't played since June though. Last I played, archery didn't really work at all, melee squads were extremely tricky to get to train anything, and doctors rarely did anything (aside from pretending to suture a wound for months). Also some forgotten beasts were impossible to kill. I take it there have been improvements in these areas? Have there been any major changes/bugs since then?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Urgh. I have to really fight my instincts to immediately abandon a fortress after I realise 2 years in that I should've made my entrance about 4x as windy

Also dealing with nobles is a major pain in the ass.

Jintor on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I do not understand this military system at all. Am I just stupid?

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    edited December 2010
    Nah, it's pretty confusing. The wiki helps a lot, check the quickstart guide.

Jintor on
    edited December 2010
    Furlion did a military tutorial on the Wiki. I haven't looked at it though, so I don't know if it's useful or not.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like the current version no longer has the huge FPS issues that caused me to stop playing DF in the first place, or at least the situation has vastly improved. No longer do I have to base each and every design decision on how much it'll affect my FPS.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't understand how a tantruming expedition leader would have the wherewithal to destroy an entire bridge with only his hands while 4 other dwarves are standing on it

TIFunkalicious on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I cannot hold back any longer, downloading now.

Soon I will be sending Dwarven expeditions to elaborate and hasty deaths.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I do not understand this military system at all. Am I just stupid?

I've been playing since probably late 2006 and I still can't figure it out, so I'd say no. I'm sure it's not that hard, but I just start reading the wiki and suddenly my eyes lose focus and I start drooling on myself.

Sir Carcass on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I haven't played DF in over a year and a half, since my computer just couldn't handle it without slowing to a crawl after a point. I might have to get back at it eventually, ig such issues have been fixed.

Rhan9 on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I'll wait a whole year before getting back to Dwarf Fortress. Once you've mastered the first winter, trap setting and training up your army the game is unlosable. I'm sick of making rules and conducts up just to play the game.

Endless_Serpents on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fortress 3 since getting back into DF is going swimmingly relative to the first two, especially by my only metric (has this fortress been entirely consumed by alligators in the first 45 seconds of gameplay [Y/N])

TheOtherHorseman on