As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So What's Your Personal GOTY

JintorJintor Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
It's been an absolutely insane year for gaming. A lot of good franchises dropped this year; let's hear your personal GOTYs.

My personal GOTY... is Platinum Games' Bayonetta.
bayonetta.jpg
bayonetta1.jpg
bayonetta_rev.jpg

Oozing style from every aspect of the game, from the jazzy, breathy music to the bizarre 'fashions' that everybody seems to wear, Bayonetta's warped sensibilities provide an entertaining backdrop for you to do ridiculously insane things and to do them with ease. I'm a big fan of deep stories and of seeing what games can do in the storytelling medium, but let's not beat around the bush here: Bayonetta's 'story' is just an excuse for awesome shit to happen, and for it to happen stylishly. And I don't care that it doesn't have a story that makes me think, or that it's perfectly content to make no sense whatsoever; it does it entertainingly, I loved most of the characters in it, and that's all I was looking for. I have some further thoughts regarding the design and construction of Bayonetta, but they're not really relevent to a GOTY discussion.

To me, one of the most important aspects of a game - any game - is how well it controls and to what extent the player has influence over the player avatar, and nowhere else have I felt this is better addressed than in Bayonetta. I've never felt like I had such control over a character before; there's nothing you cannot interrupt, nothing you can't cancel out of. Combat looks simple - and in practice, kind of is; no need for super-ridiculous combo mashing here - but matters of timing, dodge offset, and weapon choices, not to mention the insatiable bird/angel army of death that you will be fighting, make combat fast, challenging, and fair. You never feel that the game has cheesed you or that it's cheated to crush you; any failing is on you and you alone.

For fluid, stylistic gameplay; for making me feel like an incredible badass; for chewing up nearly 100 hours of my life; for Sega retro references and letting me punch things with my hair, Bayonetta is my Game Of The Year for 2010.

Jintor on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is essentially a poll thread, which isn't allowed...

But even better, someone makes a GOTY thread every year shortly after the new year begins, in which everyone votes on their top 20 games, it's thrown into a weighted system and out pops the PA G&T GOTY

Might want to just wait for that :P

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's not GOTY time, man!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

But even better, someone makes a GOTY thread every year shortly after the new year begins, in which everyone votes on their top 20 games, it's thrown into a weighted system and out pops the PA G&T GOTY

Might want to just wait for that :P

These end up being quite spectacular, so yeah let's wait a little longer :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We all know it's gonna be Robot Unicorn Attacks anyway.

:whistle:Open your eyes and see, your eyes are open.:whistle:

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Tell that to the Podcast Thread, it's essentially turned into "What's your GOTY?"

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's not a poll thread nor a "What's Penny-Arcade Forum's GOTY" thread. I want to know what your GOTYs are and why. Though I guess that does overlap with the massive threads then. Blah.

/r/ threadlock

Jintor on
This discussion has been closed.