As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House of Flying DOODLES (Occasionally NSFW)

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kewop: don't be a dick. Less than half his women are naked.
    More than 100% of them are sexy though.

Mayday on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like how this is turning out

schetsboek5.jpg

+ :
    botp :(

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    her right eye and eyebrow are angled up while her left are flat.

Fix that and it'll be awesome.

Ravenshadow on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I get bored as fuck in Physics.
    pilot.gif

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mayday wrote: »

How is that being a dick? I said first time I have seen.... I

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

How is that being a dick? I said first time I have seen.... I

Dick.

Projeck on
  • EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A very refined conversation going on here, I see...

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    over.jpg

I feel weird about this one. What do you people think?

I like your style, mayday. Also, who is that spiky haired girl. I want to see more of her!

MagicToaster on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    WrongMeeting.jpg

This is the best way I could do to express my feelings for a girl whom loves giraffes.

NeoRedXIII on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can just picture the one on the right going "Mrrrreeeggguuhhhhhh" and falling over dead.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    D: I failed

NeoRedXIII on
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    sketch01mo3.jpg

Post apocalyptic stuff. Her name is Jill Halfpenny and she's a mercenary. :)

And yes, she has no eyebrows.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    radiation'll do that.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some Blender doodles of a character I may or may not use for a side project.

Heads.png

DE?AD on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hi, um, first time posting "art" here, mostly because I couldn't hold a candle within 3 miles of most of the stuff posted here, but I did a little doodle at work, and I sorta liked how it turned out.

picture010jd5.png

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dead! We were just talking about you in the CG vehicle thread.

Liking the new SSS in Blender?

Davoid- that thing shows great style, I like it.

Mayday on
  • CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    NeoRedXIII wrote: »
    WrongMeeting.jpg

This is the best way I could do to express my feelings for a girl whom loves giraffes.

It would be SO sappy and a little cute, if you made the necks of the giraffes align to form a heart. aww...

Corgi on
  • KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Fredora, frank, spec - Those are all rockin. Would like to see all 3 of those finished though :p.

thetinglethatcounts.jpg

Love this picture

Kworn on
  • UncleSamUncleSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm. I don't know about this. Original sketch, cleaned up.

girlsketchcleanedupep2.jpg

The source image.
    girlsketchsourcekf1.jpg

The sketch scaled and manipulated so it almost sorta matches with the source image. I knew there was something wrong with the jawline and eyes, I just wasn't really sure what until I overlayed them. The eyes were way too high and big, her cheeks and neck were puffed out, just ugly. Not that the hacked one is that much prettier, just that the lines at least match her face. Is there anything else that I'm missing here? Anything besides more practice that I need?
    girlsketchrescaledvf7.jpg

UncleSam on
    SteamID : sammer105
  • WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    UncleSam wrote: »
    Is there anything else that I'm missing here? Anything besides more practice that I need?

Nope. ;-)

Just practice like a maniac. One tip: proportions is key. When drawing a face, constantly, constantly, CONSTANTLY check and make sure that every feature is in correct proportion to the other features, and that they are properly spaced. Make measurements if you have to.

WastingPenguins on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    UncleSam: you've got a problem that a lot of people starting out have, which is focusing almost entirely on the details of the face and not the overall form- You do an outline, an eye, an eye, a mouth, a nose. What you're missing is the form- how do these things fit onto the form of the skull, where does the front of the face turn to become the side? Without that structure, you just wind up with the features floating, and getting the proportions between the features correct becomes even more difficult.

I might even reccommend doing a new picture where you cover up the specific features on the ref entirely with construction paper for the first 15 minutes in order to break that focus, to make sure you don't get bogged down in finicky detail. Get the eye socket down before trying the eye, for example- how the rest of the face is shaped to fit those features.

Anyways.
    Figure doesn't match the space at all here, I should know better than try to get away with distorted perspective. Almost wasn't going to post this, but whatever:
    highway.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • UncleSamUncleSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Angel: Thanks for the help. But could you explain more by what you mean about blocking out the specific features? Do you have an example image where this has been done? I get the general concept, I think, I'm just not exactly sure.

UncleSam on
    SteamID : sammer105
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Front flash photos are also terrible references. They do not help in giving you a good idea of the form of the subject since it flattens everything out. Get something naturally lit from the side or something.

bombardier on
    edited May 2007
    UncleSam wrote: »
    Angel: Thanks for the help. But could you explain more by what you mean about blocking out the specific features? Do you have an example image where this has been done? I get the general concept, I think, I'm just not exactly sure.

I don't have any examples atm, and I can't post one because I'm at work. What I mean is, just, take the reference you have? Throw it in MS paint and draw a big black box over each eye and the mouth. Not because "mouths or eyes are bad and you shouldn't draw them", but because the whole of the form of the face is so much more important than any detail, and you need to force yourself to get that right first, before mucking about with the features.

For example, in your original picture, you obviously spend a lot of time on the eyes, but then you crushed her forehead and top of her head flat. You've got an outline of the face, but didn't pick out where the outline curves in to indicate the cheekbones- things like that which give the face its overall form. It simply isn't enough to have areas of detail with form, floating on a flat, vaguely face-shaped space.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    nodbogzb1.jpg

TheBog on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    you post this in the doodle thread?!!

NAY!

This should have a thread of its own! A museum of its own! Brilliant!

Greatnation on
    edited May 2007
    Are.. are you talkin' about me?

TheBog on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Angel, what's your practice sessions like? how long do you usually practice? Have you answered all these questions already?

I wish you had an FAQ.

McAllen on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dead! We were just talking about you in the CG vehicle thread.

It would appear you were! I'm flattered.
    Liking the new SSS in Blender?

Honestly? I've barely even touched the new version of Blender. I downloaded it when it came out, but I've been doing all my work in the previous edition.
    The head on the previous page is actually all done by hand - created in a fit of inspiration after watching a rather informative box-modeling tutorial video-thingy.

DE?AD on
  • PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Practice study of Eastern Timber Wolves for a project I'm turning in tomorrow.

easttimber.jpg

PeterAndCompany on
    edited May 2007
    Sweet.

TheBog on
    edited May 2007
    McAllen wrote: »
    Angel, what's your practice sessions like? how long do you usually practice? Have you answered all these questions already?

I wish you had an FAQ.

Uh, what now? Could you be a tad more specific?

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2007

I wish you had an FAQ.

I think what he means* is that you should totally give some clue as to what methods you use in your 3-D work. Potentially a tutorial.

*this is not what he meant.

Projeck on
    edited May 2007
    I want serious advice on how to becoe better at coloring and choosing color. This is one of y first colorings with a tablet. I haven't don any real coloring since high school. Any tips, any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, how long does it take do ral detailed colorings? This didn't take e long, probably bout 45 minutes and most of that was just sharpening things up.

hippo3iy7.jpg

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In addition to the colors, you may want to pay more attention to the form. None of the folds in his clothes make any sense.

Greatnation on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Project37 wrote: »

I wish you had an FAQ.

I think what he means* is that you should totally give some clue as to what methods you use in your 3-D work. Potentially a tutorial.

Tutorials are always cool, I remember him having a hell/death knight(or something with chains) tutorial somewhere...

I dunno, I guess I just want to know how long you practice everyday. The average amount of drawings and doodles that come out of your head each day and stuff. I guess kind of the trivia stuff. More details once I get some sleep

McAllen on
    edited May 2007
    Project37 wrote: »

I wish you had an FAQ.

Tutorials are always cool, I remember him having a hell/death knight(or something with chains) tutorial somewhere...

I dunno, I guess I just want to know how long you practice everyday. The average amount of drawings and doodles that come out of your head each day and stuff. I guess kind of the trivia stuff. More details once I get some sleep

Uh, it depends? I don't really have an everyday practice schedule or anything, unless you count the stuff I do at work- and what I do there also varies wildly from day to day and project to project, and the output depends on what I'm doing, the revisions required, what style it is in, what methods I'm using, etc, etc, etc.

My outside of work stuff, I dunno, I work somewhere between zero and 4 hours, depending on my mood? It's hard to give you any hard and fast answers, and I doubt they would have much meaning to anyone even if I could. I don't pay attention to the time, I pay attention to doing the work.

I don't know if you saw my curse word-laden speedpaint tutorial video, I don't know if that would be a helpful thing to answer your questions or not?

@P37:
    I doubt I have much to add on the topic of 3d modelling that hasn't been covered in much greater detail and depth elsewhere on the internet, or in any book or magazine about 3d modelling you can buy. Most of my models are just basic box modelling technique with a duplicated instance for symettry. It's all just extrudes, pushing around verts, using the split polygon or split edge ring tool to add detail, maybe a collapse now and then. I don't do anything fancy at all, and I don't really want to write a manual about the basic poly modelling tools in Maya in any case.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2007
    In addition to the colors, you may want to pay more attention to the form. None of the folds in his clothes make any sense.

What about the colors though? I already know his coat has a life of it's own that akes no sense, but I'm more concerned about the color. I'm trying to solid colors, but stil it looks... boo.

I would use a better drawing, but I have no scanner where i'm at right cause I'm outta town.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Thanks, you answered what i wanted to know, (tools, program and method) , which will allow me to further research this stuff through the intertubes.

Projeck on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I made this in flash, just getting used to the stupid menus and weird timeline.
    sprite.gif

strange freaking program..

Iruka on
This discussion has been closed.