As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3's Home celebrates its two-year anniversary! So... who here gives a shit?

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
I know that this strange realm has become so forgotten it's nearly become myth, but if you've got a PS3 chances are you've got this thing taking up space in your hard drive. Aaahh, Home. Let's recall its joys, shall we?

435088716_9MqAz-L-2.jpg

And yes, it's still active! Well, supposedly. Every so often Sony execs pop up and remind us of how awesome it is.
This month, Sony said its free-with-every-PlayStation 3 virtual world PlayStation Home hit its two-year anniversary with 17 million registered users.

It's an important landmark for the Home initiative. First announced back in 2006, just as it was becoming clear that online virtual worlds were busting following the boom, naysayers argued that the time for Second Life-wannabes was over -- gamers don't want to walk around a 3D virtual world to access content, they want easy accessibility.

Nevertheless, the free Home, which only requires users to sign up for a PlayStation Network account, has soldiered on since its beta launch in 2008, growing from just 200,000 users and nine games to 17 million users and 236 games.

The virtual world also offers a catalog of 7,000 high-margin virtual goods, which lead to Home's previously-reported profitability.

But while 17 million is a big number, it's still only about a third of PlayStation Network's 50 million worldwide users. And the number of active Home users -- a figure Sony reveals to dev partners under NDA -- is somewhere even lower than the registered user mark.

What's going to drive further adoption of Home, according to PlayStation Home director Jack Buser, is gamer appeal. Bringing in more games, making relationships with more developers and embracing emerging online business models is the future of the platform.

"Games are the killer app for the platform," said Buser in an interview with Gamaustra.

It wasn't always that way; originally, Home was more of a respite from gaming that happened to be accessed through a game console. "I think once gamers find out that they have hundreds of games built into PlayStation Home, most of them free-to-play, [they will try Home]."

Sony doesn't break out PlayStation Home's revenue or profit figures, although Buser said PlayStation Home has seen "significant revenue growth." And with Home's continued sale of high-margin virtual goods, that means profits are on the rise too.

"If you look at the first quarter of this calendar year, we actually tripled revenue from the same time period of the year prior," Buser said. "...The business model works, and we like it quite a bit. It's one of the reasons we're able to offer PlayStation Home as a free service."

The director said the Home team is continuing to work on trying to bring smaller, independent developers to the service. PlayStation Home sponsored IndieCade this year and had a presence at Game Developers Conference Online in Austin. PlayStation Home's team also inked a deal this summer with indie game publisher Codename to bring games to the service.

Buser also sees a future in virtual item sales and free-to-play microtransaction-based games -- two business models virtually absent from PlayStation 3 competitors. He called microtransactions the "bread and butter" of PlayStation Home.

"Here we are in the console space becoming very comfortable, very familiar with the latest and greatest business models of the game industry, putting us just miles ahead of the competition in this regard," he claimed

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32102/Buser_Killer_Apps_Will_Drive_PlayStation_Home_Adoption.php

So who here has been to Home in the last two years? Has it changed much at all?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    ...welp, guess that answers my question.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am actually very very surprised that it has survived this long. It sounded like a cool idea at first, but it was kinda very boring and nothing to do. I guess if you like doing stuff like decorating a house and bumming around a mall enough to do it on your PS3, go for it.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    HOLY SHIT THIS ACTUALLY CAME OUT?!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I guess some of the fullish games might be nice to try out. I'm not seeing any reason for them to need to be integrated into Home though.

Whatever happened to launching games and multiplayer shit in Home? I think there was that Warhawk room and nothing else. Same with the trophies.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I dicked around in home for a few hours.

Remember when you were fourteen and you'd spend time talking to complete strangers in AOL/MSN Chat?

That's basically what Home is.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, Home did showed us that Sony's idea of a black person is a white person with 3rd degrees burns.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Remember when you were fourteen and you'd spend time talking to complete strangers in AOL/MSN Chat?

So it's nothing but people yelling "omg asl"?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I used it for a few days. Went to a Veronica Belmont/Qore event with my Red Dead hat on or something, kept getting lost (so realistic!)

Danced around, made crude gestures at people, talked about random stuff. It really isn't all that terrible, just not for me. Patrick Klepek wrote a series of articles about Home when he was still at G4, likening it to a form of AOL chatroom. People were talking about their kids and their jobs and their lives to complete strangers who were sympathetic.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »

So it's nothing but people yelling "omg asl"?

Yes. Yes it is.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish Sony would release their financials so we would know if the ridiculous marketplace on Home actually sustains it. If this is so, my faith in humanity would take a huge hit.

Anyway, Home is awful, and I think it's telling that this threat may not last very long. No one even cares enough about it to think of something to be pissed about. Disappointment isn't very interesting when it isn't a surprise.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I took a look at when it originally came out and it just really wasn't anything I cared for. I haven't had it fully installed on my PS3 since then but I've been curious to look at it again to see if there was anything worthwhile in it now.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was a sucker, I bought in to the idea of home and thought it'd be a pretty cool place to idle when not playing something, and maybe chat to a few PA folks, then organise and launch a multiplayer game of Warhawk (or whatever).

I bought up a club house (yes, paid money) and decorated it and invited PA people over. It all seemed to go ok, people visited, played the arcade games I put in (well, some people couldn't for some weird reason) then we hit the maximum user cap for the club of 20.

Then I realised it was awful and never ventured there again. I wonder if my club house still exists...

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When I pre-ordered the Scott Pilgrim game on PS3, they sent me an SP shirt for my Home avatar

A couple months ago I got curious as to what it looked like and booted up Home

Not only was it shitty, but my shirt was nowhere to be found, despite me checking the download file and downloading it again to make sure.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wasn't this supposed to be the new, never-before-seen hype shit that would propel the PS3 into stratosphere (or at least relevance, as it were) back in the day? I mean, the system is now doing fine and dandy, but not one ounce its success could be traced back to Home.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I wish Sony would release their financials so we would know if the ridiculous marketplace on Home actually sustains it. If this is so, my faith in humanity would take a huge hit.

Anyway, Home is awful, and I think it's telling that this threat may not last very long. No one even cares enough about it to think of something to be pissed about. Disappointment isn't very interesting when it isn't a surprise.

Honestly, I can imagine it would be stupidly easy for Sony to be making a profit off Home even if relatively few people are in it. Beyond the server costs and whatever teensy updates it gets, the only other expense would be making hats and crap for people to buy, and that can't be very labor-intensive. So with such relatively little overhead, you only have to sell a few hats per day to wring some money out of it.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It was the 2nd panel in that comic that killed it for me. I understand you need to put a cap on how many lanes/poker tables/whatever can be spawned at the same time but why can you not spawn any outside of those that are visible in the virtual game room? Did they think it was going to take away from the "realism"?

Really I would have been happy if all home was was a chat room lobby where you pick which game you want to play, wait until sufficient resources (hardware and player wise) and launch. But then they couldn't sell (as easily I guess) millions of dollars of virtual goods and, like Torso, make me weep for humanity....sorry Grinch :P

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »

Sorry about your faith

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I logged into Home a few months back. Compared to the initial release version, it actually HAS improved a lot! Of course, that's like saying being eaten by zombies is a significant improvement over being raped to death by Dickwolves. So, yes, it's better (the tank game, Sodium One, is actually kind of fun) but it still registers as a bit below "Meh!" on the excitement chart.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    It was the 2nd panel in that comic that killed it for me. I understand you need to put a cap on how many lanes/poker tables/whatever can be spawned at the same time but why can you not spawn any outside of those that are visible in the virtual game room? Did they think it was going to take away from the "realism"?

Really I would have been happy if all home was was a chat room lobby where you pick which game you want to play, wait until sufficient resources (hardware and player wise) and launch. But then they couldn't sell (as easily I guess) millions of dollars of virtual goods and, like Torso, make me weep for humanity....sorry Grinch :P

That's it, I'm logging back in, digging out the club house I paid for and changing it from a "PA" clubhouse to a "No EvilMonkey" Clubhouse. Everyone else is invited.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

That's it, I'm logging back in, digging out the club house I paid for and changing it from a "PA" clubhouse to a "No EvilMonkey" Clubhouse. Everyone else is invited.
    Everyone up to 20 people anyway.

That's fine, I'll build my own clubhouse! Behold; Ewok Village 2000! :D

sp_0212_06_v6.jpg?width=480

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whenever I think of Home, I am reminded that Sony could have taken that development money and used to to make PSN on par with Xbox Live.

This makes me angry.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And then you fail to realise that Xbox Live isn't that great to begin with.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well that's just not true Bart, I mean, Live has... uhhh, well... party voice chat... and... oh yeah, voice messages.

All that plus a $60 a year membership fee. For peer-based multiplayer.

Huh, I guess you're right.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well that's just not true Bart, I mean, Live has... uhhh, well... party voice chat... and... oh yeah, voice messages.

actually, you can do this on the PS3 now, assuming that you know at least one person who wants to party who pays for PS+. I think they also have Voice Messages too.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whoa

Why does everyone have a Santa hat now

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

actually, you can do this on the PS3 now, assuming that you know at least one person who wants to party who pays for PS+. I think they also have Voice Messages too.

No, no we don't :(

At least, I've never seen a way to do it, and I have PS+

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png