As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I wear a [Chat] now. [Chat]s are cool.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I have never seen django I need to rectify that.

I do like how that theme song is like a mix between a blacksplotiation explanation song and a morricone score.

There is an argument that the Italian westerns are an exploitation genre of their very own. But yeah, a lot of Italian directors tried to copy a lot of what Leone did and Morricone's film scores were perfect.

Thomamelas on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I have never seen django I need to rectify that.

I do like how that theme song is like a mix between a blacksplotiation explanation song and a morricone score.

There is an argument that the Italian westerns are an exploitation genre of their very own. But yeah, a lot of Italian directors tried to copy a lot of what Leone did and Morricone's film scores were perfect.

One of the funniest things I saw is that Morricone has a razzy for his sound track of the thing. Showing how stupid the razzies are.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    how could a guy called Franco Nero not be Italian?

Stage names do exist in hollywood elldren.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    I wonder if ACSIS has any kind of credentials or education to give any remote amount of credibility to matter-of-fact statements like "Chances are the T-50 will meet the F22 in combat".

Or any of the other shit he says.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Am I going to Hell?

So I'm walking up 7th Avenue and I pass by a homeless person and caught a glimpse of her out of my periphery. For a second, she looked hot but it registered when I was already past her. So I turned around and looked at her. I thought "hmm maybe I should give her some money. It's Christmas, after all."

But when I turned around I saw she was actually old and not hot. So I just said "nahh" and kept walking.

Then to make matters worse I reflected on how much of an asshole that made me and my reaction was to smile.

Then I slapped a random kid in the face and then her dad. I figured why not?

Then I flew into space and killed the moon.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gradumacated and just accepted a job offer for January. This be awesome times!

Elldren, Thoma, Jacob, you guys up for a Shadowrun 3e game still? You have first dibs.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited December 2010
    Res wrote: »
    I wonder if ACSIS has any kind of credentials or education to give any remote amount of credibility to matter-of-fact statements like "Chances are the T-50 will meet the F22 in combat".

He's a secret intelligence advisor to the tzar of this country res, you should do well to respect his opinion.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm trying to picture how this would work. And the first thing that came to mind was a giant catapult.
    Yes, I understand Soviet era anti-air doctrine included a bit with tanks firing their secondary guns into the air in hopes of random hits.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2010
    Infidel wrote: »

Elldren, Thoma, Jacob, you guys up for a Shadowrun 3e game still? You have first dibs.

I am.

Thomamelas on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I know, Franco Nero is a stage name

but it is a ludicrously Italian stage name

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Am I going to Hell?

So I'm walking up 7th Avenue and I pass by a homeless person and caught a glimpse of her out of my periphery. For a second, she looked hot but it registered when I was already past her. So I turned around and looked at her. I thought "hmm maybe I should give her some money. It's Christmas, after all."

But when I turned around I saw she was actually old and not hot. So I just said "nahh" and kept walking.

Then to make matters worse I reflected on how much of an asshole that made me and my reaction was to smile.

Then I slapped a random kid in the face and then her dad. I figured why not?

Then I flew into space and killed the moon.

like a boss

Silas Brown on
    edited December 2010

If they do that then eventually the show becomes "hit squad kills a guy".

One of the more plausible reasons they don't have the cops all over them is simply because they barely ever kill anyone who's not also a deadly assassin with an organization who'd disappear the body anyway.

EVen then its implausible as fuck that Micheal wouldn't be under constant police investigation. Not to mention his no kill policy has screwed them over repeatedly, the finale was a tour de force of "should have killed this guy when you had the chance."

We're told Micheal is a bad ass stone cold killer, we have never ever seen that ever.

Michael is never called a bad ass stone cold killer. Or anything of the sort. His reputation is that of a really good intelligence operative. Nobody ever implies he has a reputation for killing people.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010

I know, Franco Nero is a stage name

but it is a ludicrously Italian stage name

Another odd fact about him. He's married to Vanessa Redgrave.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2010

One of the more plausible reasons they don't have the cops all over them is simply because they barely ever kill anyone who's not also a deadly assassin with an organization who'd disappear the body anyway.

EVen then its implausible as fuck that Micheal wouldn't be under constant police investigation. Not to mention his no kill policy has screwed them over repeatedly, the finale was a tour de force of "should have killed this guy when you had the chance."

We're told Micheal is a bad ass stone cold killer, we have never ever seen that ever.

Michael is never called a bad ass stone cold killer. Or anything of the sort. His reputation is that of a really good intelligence operative. Nobody ever implies he has a reputation for killing people.

I dunno outside of the fake file, Larry definately makes the implication Micheal wasn't always touchy feely, I mean to even work with a guy like Larry he'd had to have done some nasty stuff in the past.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Larry does, but Larry is a psychopath with an unhealthy obsession with Michael.

EDIT: It occurs to me that he was probably paired with Larry largely because he tended towards limiting the number of dead people though.

EDIT 2: There's also the fact that Larry is happy to kill just about anyone. Michael may have killed a bunch of people with Larry directly or indirectly, but they were probably definitely bad people (i.e. murderers, rapists) and Larry just plain didn't see the distinction.

electricitylikesme on
    edited December 2010

Larry has a number of times. But Larry is batshit crazy so there is that. And a bunch of minor characters have mentioned it, but my guess is you can hand wave that away because they had seen his dossier after he was blamed for everything Simon had done.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2010

Larry has a number of times. But Larry is batshit crazy so there is that. And a bunch of minor characters have mentioned it, but my guess is you can hand wave that away because they had seen his dossier after he was blamed for everything Simon had done.

A lot of people reference Michael's bad-ass reputation, especially Russian characters (A nightclub owner in Miami in the first goddamn episode? Really?) but none of them imply him to have a particularly impressive body count except for when they are specifically talking about the shit that he is accused of doing in his burn notice. At least not that I can recall.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm doing an sr4 game

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited December 2010
    But really guys the worst part of Burn Notice's writing is the throw-away lines that they interchangeably insert into conversations to remind you that the main characters are bad-asses.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

A lot of people reference Michael's bad-ass reputation, especially Russian characters (A nightclub owner in Miami in the first goddamn episode? Really?) but none of them imply him to have a particularly impressive body count except for when they are specifically talking about the shit that he is accused of doing in his burn notice. At least not that I can recall.

Well consider the interrogation where they kicked a guy out the window. Presumably if you do that to a bunch of Russians, even if you don't kill anyone, the story which gets back to everyone else is "he takes you up in a helicopter and if you don't talk he just stone-cold pushes you out".

electricitylikesme on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm watching the old Star Trek episode where that witch turns into a cat and chases Kirk and Spock around a castle. I still can't believe how bad it was. It's not just that they filmed a cat and mixed the shots with Kirk looking behind him in fear to try (and fail) to make it look like he's being chased by a cat. But they didn't even remove the cat's collar. He's being chase by a giant cat wearing a giant collar with a fake diamond and a name tag.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man I really powered through the first 3/4 of this homework but the last quarter is going soooo slowly.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Come on Steam. Let there be a good sale today!

WMain00 on
    edited December 2010

Well consider the interrogation where they kicked a guy out the window. Presumably if you do that to a bunch of Russians, even if you don't kill anyone, the story which gets back to everyone else is "he takes you up in a helicopter and if you don't talk he just stone-cold pushes you out".

Okay but nobody has (As far as I can remember) said anything like that about him. The most detailed description of his reputation I can recall is the first episode where Oleg says "They say you are one name for many people, a covert special forces team. They think one man can't cause so much trouble." or something to that effect.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have to admit I'm kind of shocked the male abortion thread is still going. Also that the OP went with "male abortion" and not "waiving of paternal responsibility". Unless you're the governator I don't think an abortion is a procedure you can actually undergo :P

HappylilElf on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yeah, isn't he supposed to be like, the boogeyman to foreign operatives, like he's some kind of scary urban legend thats fo real. I think I remember that in some episode with a bunch of Russian dudes that were gonna assassinate somebody until he, of course, foiled their plot.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And here comes my favourite line.

Spock: "A life form completely alien to our galaxy."

I love how he knows every life form in our galaxy by sight.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2010
    I have to admit I'm kind of shocked the male abortion thread is still going. Also that the OP went with "male abortion" and not "waiving of paternal responsibility". Unless you're the governator I don't think an abortion is a procedure you can actually undergo :P

That's kind of the point of the movement - to equate abortion to "waiving of paternal responsibility."

Silas Brown on
    edited December 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    And here comes my favourite line.

Spock: "A life form completely alien to our galaxy."

I love how he knows every life form in our galaxy by sight.

Vulcans have some sort of autistic memory thing going.

Silas Brown on
    edited December 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »

Yeah, isn't he supposed to be like, the boogeyman to foreign operatives, like he's some kind of scary urban legend thats fo real. I think I remember that in some episode with a bunch of Russian dudes that were gonna assassinate somebody until he, of course, foiled their plot.

Yes but the boogey man aspect maybe something that grows as the stories are retold. So that people feel less bad about being defeated by him, or having their plans screwed up by him.

Thomamelas on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition is $20, you say?

welp

Bama on
    edited December 2010
    I just want him to kill someone, anyone. "Oh this guy is a serial killer who rapes the children while the mother watches in horror and then slits their throats."

"We need an elaborate plan to get him sent to prison!"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2010
    Paging thomamelas and jacobkosh to #criticalfailures, if you're free. :^:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

you stole my pentakill

edited December 2010

you stole my pentakill

<3

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    People in the Steam thread are like "Mass Effect 2 is only down to $10? I think I'll pass..."

And I want to punch them

Nocturne on
    edited December 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    People in the Steam thread are like "Mass Effect 2 is only down to $10? I think I'll pass..."

And I want to punch them

"Greatest chocolate? But not a golden wrapper, well fuck this."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

And I want to punch them
    Honestly you'd be justified in punching them for not having the game before this sale even started.

Bama on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    I'm watching the old Star Trek episode where that witch turns into a cat and chases Kirk and Spock around a castle. I still can't believe how bad it was. It's not just that they filmed a cat and mixed the shots with Kirk looking behind him in fear to try (and fail) to make it look like he's being chased by a cat. But they didn't even remove the cat's collar. He's being chase by a giant cat wearing a giant collar with a fake diamond and a name tag.

It could have been worse.

Spock could have turned into a cat.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited December 2010
    I still haven't beaten ME2. I got to the
    IFF mission

Got stuck, gave up, never came back to it.

But now I have all the DLC so I think I should give it another shot.

This discussion has been closed.