As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I wear a [Chat] now. [Chat]s are cool.

• WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Time for some Derezzed.

WMain00 on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "Man I'm a cynic because shit has been hard." Is a dumb life policy. It also bleeds into other things. I say this as a reformed cynic, going around life shitting on everything makes you an insufferable shit head to be around for anything believe me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Obscure but brilliant comic reference gogogo.

I caught it, Bogart!

Also I would vote for Mitchell Hundred for everything

For all the things.

That reminds me, I really need to go back and pick up the next couple volumes of Ex Machina. I think I read the first 5 or 6 in the span of like, a week, and haven't gone back for more in 6 months...

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    Well em, if his leg were blown off and he still weighed 200 lbs it's his own god damn fault for being such a lard ass.

Its that line of thinking thats terrifying when talking about equality in jobs it has no right in being. Like fire fighters. If you can do the physical requirement awesome you can be a firefighter, but it should be an equal requirement that actually fufills the jobs requirement, life aint fair.

I would be terrified of being confronted with a situation in which I physically was incapable of saving someone's life and knowing that if I were reasonably stronger I could have.

I don't understand why anyone would ever want to put themselves in that position.

It's just asking for a lifetime of guilt.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Seriously, guys. Ex Machina is a fucking masterpiece and all ten volumes should be picked up toot sweet. Now he's off twatting about LA in TV and movies, BKV is a sad loss to the comic book industry.

Bogart on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "Man I'm a cynic because shit has been hard." Is a dumb life policy. It also bleeds into other things. I say this as a reformed cynic, going around life shitting on everything makes you an insufferable shit head to be around for anything believe me.

This is truth, I am unfortunately just realizing this in the last year.

Dark_Side on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom mazzy. A wise man once said that and I really wish some people in this country would stand by it.

"Oh they'll fuck it up."

Yeah like healthcare reform, financial reform, the 9/11 responders bill, ratifying the start treaty, dadt man they sure fucked the hell out of those things 2 years in after 8 years of mind numbingly ridiculously bad political times.

I think a lot of the cynicism with PA forumers with regards to politics is that for a lot of us young'ins the first things we saw as we were becoming politically aware, and really all we've ever really known, was either Clinton being crucified for getting a BJ and lying about it... and well... Bush.

i would think that this would lead you young voters to be energized to see that the system can end up generating good results.

i dunno. progress is incremental and takes compromise, and it does not seem like the left wing really has the kind of fortitude and patience that it requires.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, coming of age during the Gore v Bush trial and the Kerry v Bush election (and just getting in on the Lewinsky scandal) I was immensely cynical throughout highschool. Once I got to college I mellowed out a lot.

wazilla on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010

this needs to be tattooed into the skins of forumers over and over like with the machine from Kafka's The Penal Colony

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »

This is truth, I am unfortunately just realizing this in the last year.

Seriously, which is not to say you have to be all sunshine and lollipops, but when you seriously look at every situation like its going to be awful, you'll hate it, shit will never work etc. Not only do you self fulfill that prophecy most of the time, you also never really enjoy a lot of fun damn things.

"Oh shit my friends want me to go to dinner and talk about shit, I bet it will suck because I don't want to go out but I'll go anyway."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    are you a bad enough dude to inject some backbone into the american left?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it would be much better if Obama was president of the United States of the West Coast and California, Washington, and Oregon just seceded from the rest.

hey the northeast atlantic corridor has dibs. at least we have basically functioning state governments and don't pick on our homos.

you guys can have like jerry brown or something

Word.

no this is bullshit

brown is old and lame

well uh boxer and feinstein woo

or one of your jokey celebrity candidates that you guys like so much

maybe they could run on a platform of "legalize weed and then we enslave all of you"

and he would win because you guys would just hear "legalize weed something something something"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think getting pissed is productive if it's coupled with activism. Keeps the pressure on politicians to keep those slow wheels grinding forward.

Not big on passive cynicism.

Hachface on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Evening, [chat].

japan on
    edited December 2010

this needs to be tattooed into the skins of forumers over and over like with the machine from Kafka's The Penal Colony

But that was for killing people!

wazilla on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DOTS
    basecampoverview3.png
    Seriously, guys. Ex Machina is a fucking masterpiece and all ten volumes should be picked up toot sweet. Now he's off twatting about LA in TV and movies, BKV is a sad loss to the comic book industry.
    Hee hee.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010

I need to finish it; I've only read the first half or so. I think the last part I saw was the one where he visits the Vatican.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Evening, [chat].

I acknowledge your presence, and your status as a human being.

Hachface on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Healthcare bill mandates every citizen buy private for profit insurance. Sure it will get people insurance but damn might as well fill the coffers of a multibillion dollar industry. Its a start but really its 3 steps forward and two steps back. We still move forward so its a plus. The tax bill includes tax cuts that the President himself has gone on record as saying do nothing to stimulate the economy but included them to get the small subsection of the bill that actually helps people. Fine, I will go with it but when this comes to bite him in the ass in two years since that is when they are set to expire again, man don't get mad at me. 9/11 responders bill got through after being shot down by the Republicans yet no one made a fuss the first time because it was all tax bill tax bill tax bill. DADT I have no complaints with, I am happy with it. START is a year late, fine it went through. Just had a year where we weren't able to monitor Russia's nuclear weapons.

Stimulus was good but not enough. A second one should of been passed. Food safety bill I am happy with. May have gone farther but I am not going to push it. Financial regulations and the Credit Card regulations bills didn't go far enough but a start. Though the financial one didn't even put us at level we were before Glass Steagall was repealed under Clinton in 1999.

I am still going to vote for Obama next election cycle. I don't have huge ill will against him but I am disappointed on somethings.

And really which is better? Being mad when he breaks a promise from his campaign or constant felating him when he gets a little bit done? I rather get mad but as hell won't make me vote Republican or Green or something similarly stupid.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not big on passive cynicism.

Eh

It sucks but what are you gonna do about it

Nocturne on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Huh. I know a 20 year old girl who still plays Neopets really intently.

:( I play neopets cause it is a cute and relatively easy way to play puzzle games and feel like I get some tangible thing out of it, like buying imaginary food for a pretend cute animal. I know, I know, I am a retard

and your pet pet pet bug pets

nexuscrawler on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll stop shitting on everything when everything stops shitting on me

Elendil on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Evening, [chat].

Holy fucking shit my friend but the new Lego theme this year is NINJAS.

Bogart on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

We call this Human Centipede logic

Nocturne on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

You should have a bran muffin in the morning

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

We call this Human Centipede logic

So what you're saying is....

Get out from behind the butts?

wazilla on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I went to Air's Christmas breakfast, and they had Mickey Mouse waffles. I say "'Ey, Philippe, thees ees not so bad, oui?" But no one laughed.

you just made me laugh

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    I am not super thrilled with Obama but he's not the main problem. I'm not exactly sure what the main problem is, but it probably has something to do with private financing of elections and a significant portion of the voter base being slack-jawed yokels.

Hachface on
    edited December 2010
    Evening, [chat].

Holy fucking shit my friend but the new Lego theme this year is NINJAS.

oh fuck

OH FUCK

Why didn't I pay attention to all th lego store spam I have been getting?

Also: we should try brikwars at the next available opportunity.

japan on
    edited December 2010
    I am not super thrilled with Obama but he's not the main problem. I'm not exactly sure what the main problem is, but it probably has something to do with private financing of elections and a significant portion of the voter base being slack-jawed yokels.

Also, the filibuster.

Also, anonymous holds.

wazilla on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i am digging Miss Fortune.

I thought I would.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    You know I don't think "Hey maybe we can give credit where credit is due." Is constant fellating.

Its not a dichotomy and you don't have to be happy about everything, but looking at the bad side to everything is a horrible way to look at things. Its also counterintuitive and dissuades voters.

You'll vote but the people you bitched to might get turned off thinking that there vote is going nowhere and its best to throw it away.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2010
    I will say that while I have am really happy with stuff like healthcare and DADT, and while I also have nothing but withering contempt for the posturing cynicism that is so hip among certain demographics, I do think that part of it is that Obama and more generally the Dems are really fucking bad at selling anything.

Like seriously, every time the Republicans cut taxes on rich people their base celebrates like Jesus was visiting for dinner. And it's because they are really good at getting their message out. When you see Dems campaigning by minimizing their own accomplishments instead of shouting them to the high heavens, it gives the impression that these things have happened grudgingly and in spite of them. Obama at least doesn't do that but he also seems to not push issues in the public eye until it's almost time for a vote, at which point Fox has had months to shape the narrative.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2010
    i am digging Miss Fortune.

I thought I would.

DEM TITTIES

wazilla on
    edited December 2010

That, and many of your elected representatives are the enemies of all that is good and pure.

japan on
    edited December 2010

That, and many of your elected representatives are the enemies of all that is good and pure.

Symptoms of a more basic disease.

Hachface on
    edited December 2010
    I will say that while I have am really happy with stuff like healthcare and DADT, and while I also have nothing but withering contempt for the posturing cynicism that is so hip among certain demographics, I do think that part of it is that Obama and more generally the Dems are really fucking bad at selling anything.

Like seriously, every time the Republicans cut taxes on rich people their base celebrates like Jesus was visiting for dinner. And it's because they are really good at getting their message out. When you see Dems campaigning by minimizing their own accomplishments instead of shouting them to the high heavens, it gives the impression that these things have happened grudgingly and in spite of them. Obama at least doesn't do that but he also seems to not push issues in the public eye until it's almost time for a vote, at which point Fox has had months to shape the narrative.

Bolded the part thats really fucked up. Republican right wing has an entire propaganda station 24/7. That is hard as hell to compete with, MSNBC is no where near the kind of echo chamber that fox news is, and desires not to be, which just lets them have more air time to spout insanity.

There are people in this country that believe our president is not a legal resident, you can not reach them ever.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2010
    wazilla wrote: »

Also, the filibuster.

Also, anonymous holds.

The filibuster is a serious problem, but I think it's on the secondary list of problems.

I mean, we are a country with a lot of problems.

Hachface on
    edited December 2010
    Bolded the part thats really fucked up. Republican right wing has an entire propaganda station 24/7. That is hard as hell to compete with, MSNBC is no where near the kind of echo chamber that fox news is, and desires not to be, which just lets them have more air time to spout insanity.

There are people in this country that believe our president is not a legal resident, you can not reach them ever.

I will also say that MSNBC is 1) not nearly as dedicated to pushing the Democratic line as Fox is to the Republican line and 2) not terribly insightful or persuasive even when it is acting as the liberal water carrier.

Hachface on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hummm, well that confirms it:

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-5.88&soc=-4.72

I'm more of a Libertarian than Ghandi...

axeswithnames.gif

WMain00 on
This discussion has been closed.