As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recettear: RPG Shop simulator - It's out and great and you should buy it

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Uh

What is Nanoha aka Tamura Yukari doing there?

Cause PikaPuff thought the girl in the middle of the .jpg of her previous roles was Recette.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In his defense, they are similar enough that it is basically a "spot the differences" game.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Someone's gonna get fuckin' befriended is all I'm sayin'

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It really does look like her if you aren't looking closely.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I picked this game up in a Steam pack and only just got around to playing last night.

I went to sleep much later than I had planned.

Nimble Cat on
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, that would explain this blurb from a GameFAQs review:
    When you hear someone say, “I only played Recettear for 130 hours or so”, that isn't indirect bragging - that is a cry for help.

Just bought this for my little brother (his birthday is tomorrow), and I'm going to see if it'll be cheaper before I get it for myself.

Man in the Mists on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just a wee bump based on this being on sale on Steam, in case anyone was interested.

Just $6.80, down from $20.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, that would explain this blurb from a GameFAQs review:
    When you hear someone say, “I only played Recettear for 130 hours or so”, that isn't indirect bragging - that is a cry for help.

Just bought this for my little brother (his birthday is tomorrow), and I'm going to see if it'll be cheaper before I get it for myself.

sucks to be you.... kind of....because now you should buy this for yourself!

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So now that this has reached the under $10 mark, I'm giving this a shot.

0blique on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Okay, just set up my wii-mote to control this and the dungeon mode is so much better. Should have done this days ago.
    In case anyone else needs to: here's the instructions for getting the wii-mote active. I'm using it with the NES script and kept it in keyboard mode configuration, using the buttons from the wiimote.

Wait, you can play this with console controllers? How?

Captain Carrot on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    0blique wrote: »
    So now that this has reached the under $10 mark, I'm giving this a shot.

You won't be disappointed.

Well, you might be - but in that case, it'll be because you lack a soul / have badwrongfun / etc. :D

Elvenshae on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Okay, just set up my wii-mote to control this and the dungeon mode is so much better. Should have done this days ago.
    In case anyone else needs to: here's the instructions for getting the wii-mote active. I'm using it with the NES script and kept it in keyboard mode configuration, using the buttons from the wiimote.

Wait, you can play this with console controllers? How?
    It supports a 360 controller natively, no setup. i'm not sure about others.

gilrain on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Any game controller that you can connect to the computer will work. Sadly, I somehow forgot to add the hyperlink to that post, but the game is designed to be played a few buttons and a d-pad, so the wii-mote is perfect for it.

Darian on
    edited December 2010
    Ah. Well, I don't have the cable to hook up my wiimote, so meh.

Captain Carrot on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Neither do I... wii-mote is a bluetooth device. Do you have bluetooth?

edit: a link

Darian on
    edited December 2010
    I think so. There is a button for it on my laptop keyboard.

Captain Carrot on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    this game is ingenious

super smart and I feel like the mechanics and idea behind it need to be implemented into other games

I would be perfectly happy with an action RPG (or even just RPG) game where the shops are run by players like this.

T4CT on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The atelier series is kinda similar to this I think.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I cannot sell shit to save my life. Every time someone asks hey I want x, and I recommend them an item, they always back out even at ridiculous percentages like 100% and even lower. What the hell is the deal?

Edit: Might have figured it out. Are there unlisted spending limits on people? Like say, old man is only willing to spend 2k. He asks for treasure and I offer him the 4k one. So if I don't drop down to 2k, he won't buy?

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • OeshyOeshy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    how much gameplay will you get out of this game? has it got re playability or more of a "one and done?"

looks like a very interesting concept to me and I would be keen to play it.

Oeshy on
    [Steam] Special
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arkady wrote: »
    I cannot sell shit to save my life. Every time someone asks hey I want x, and I recommend them an item, they always back out even at ridiculous percentages like 100% and even lower. What the hell is the deal?

Are you selling to little girls? :P

You generally try to give a safe estimate like 110-120% and then raise it a bit until you learn the stable price range for each character.

Little girls normally are bitches and wouldn't pay over 105%, I think woman is 115% and old man is around 120-125%. Man you can sell higher, around 130%. It doesn't cover alot of things especially the special NPCs and I'm not sure if most of them are right but you get the general idea.

Pay attention to the daily change in prices for various things and do your best to keep an uninterrupted sales combo as that nets you mad experience.
    how much gameplay will you get out of this game? has it got re playability or more of a "one and done?"

looks like a very interesting concept to me and I would be keen to play it.

I got 10hours of the main game when I had to pay $20 for it and it's justified in every way. I would play more if the crafting wasn't super stupid from super stupid drop rates, though it's fixed now I think?

Now that it's on sale GET IT.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arkady wrote: »

Edit: Might have figured it out. Are there unlisted spending limits on people? Like say, old man is only willing to spend 2k. He asks for treasure and I offer him the 4k one. So if I don't drop down to 2k, he won't buy?

Every "class" of people has a relationship level. If you sell at the level they like (which, surprisingly, isn't super-cheap -- if you undersell, this actually has a lower chance of happening than if you get it right on the mark for the "Just Pin"), they'll display a Heart Icon as they accept the price. Every time this happens, their Just Pin price percentage (the % price they want exactly to pay for an item) increases, as well as their total cash reserves when they come to a store. This means, if you want people to buy more expensive items, you have to work on their relationship first.

There are two kinds of rejection for people. It's either "I don't want to pay that much" or "I can't pay that much." Each one has a distinct flavor text accompanying it. Try to figure out which is which and you'll have a better idea of whether they're actually not able to pay a sum or just being skinflints.

By "class" of people I mean that getting a heart out of one Old Man, for example, raises the Just Pin percentage price as well as the cash reserves of every Old Man. Individual adventurers (ex. Atma, Louie) also have their own relationship levels for buying and selling. It's been too long since I've played so I don't remember the exact monetary marks of relationship levels, so you'll have to work that out on your own, but just knowing this should enable you to get things rolling.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    I haven't personally seen the Just Pin percentages move all that much to be honest. It's been pretty consistent at:
    104% for selling something, 70% for buying something
    for any class of character except for
    Prime
    who starts at
    102% for selling something

What does definitely go up is their budget whenever you get a heat signifying a relationship increase. A general rule of thumb is that if they haven't personally requested something out of your shop at least that expensive, you shouldn't offer that item to them.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited December 2010
    well I gifted a whole bunch of recettear to people who haven't bought it but show some interest, hopefully I will ruin their lives

TheKoolEagle on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    On the cash reserves thing. If a person brings an item to you, they do have the money to buy it. If you offer an item, it's possible they won't. Well, unless you're being stupid and asking 10000% the item cost. Then they might not be able to afford it. Also, do keep in mind that you do make a profit selling at 100%. The item cost when you purchase it is 70%. Which also means it's never profitable to sell items that are half price for the day. Vending machines will still sell it at 100% though.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I haven't personally seen the Just Pin percentages move all that much to be honest. It's been pretty consistent at:
    104% for selling something, 70% for buying something
    for any class of character except for
    Prime
    who starts at
    102% for selling something

What does definitely go up is their budget whenever you get a heat signifying a relationship increase. A general rule of thumb is that if they haven't personally requested something out of your shop at least that expensive, you shouldn't offer that item to them.

Mmn. I've found Just Pins as high as
    112%
    for young men and women in my game. I can only offer anecdotal support.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, The little girl just pins somewhere around 113 and a half or so, and she's one of the most stingy characters

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Let me just say that I love you people who have been gifting the game

Love you so much

We have something kind of neat to announce at the end of the year now thanks to you guys, so thank youuuuu~

Anyway I hope people have been enjoying the game, I always get a kick out of people discovering the game for the first time

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
    edited December 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »

Love you so much

We have something kind of neat to announce at the end of the year now thanks to you guys, so thank youuuuu~

Anyway I hope people have been enjoying the game, I always get a kick out of people discovering the game for the first time

I gifted 4 copies. one of my most favorite games this year

TheKoolEagle on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »

Love you so much

I hope you guys are making a mint! You're the localizer, right? Man, I'm sure it's been said in this thread, but... amazing job! The charming translation and just-right-amount of silliness is half the appeal, if not more. :)

Very excited about the special announcement. I can think of many great things it could be, but I'm trying not to get too hopeful.

gilrain on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't suppose any still has any copies left? Missed my chance to pick it up yesterday.

Can Paypal the required amount.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Missed yesterday's post saying it was on sale through Steam. Now I'm stuck at work, can anybody tell me if it is still on sale or did I miss it?

Edit: Nevermind, guess it is off now?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In a perfect world it would be a DS port, but I know this is unlikely.

Xagarath on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Missed yesterday's post saying it was on sale through Steam. Now I'm stuck at work, can anybody tell me if it is still on sale or did I miss it?

Edit: Nevermind, guess it is off now?

It's 50% off now, rather than 75% off...which is still bloody cheap given that 1) it's only a few months old, and 2) was a low-priced indie release to begin with. It was worth it at full price, it's worth it now - but as ever, wait long enough and you can get it a few quid cheaper.

Bioptic on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    okay, realize I feel very silly asking this question... I open this game from Steam. I know I can't click on the options there I use the arrows to select an option but pressing Enter doesn't select what I have highlighted.

What is the default key layout?

troublebrewing on
  • JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Z and X I think. There's a menu that you can change it on I think.

EDIT: Thinkthink. It's been a while since I've played.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, thanks I will have another look at it :D

troublebrewing on
  • 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just run the configuration the first time through rather than playing it. This got me on my first shot, since I couldn't actually select any items on the menu. Once I figured that out, it was alright, the controls are still kind of weird (can't use enter to accept an action) but the game is simple enough that it doesn't matter.

All I have to say is that this game doesn't screw around with you, it's really hard. I'm already on day 7 with less than $3000 in the bank and no inventory, so it looks like I'll have to restart. I'm guessing this is one of those games where you need to have a near perfect strategy just to make it through.

0blique on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    0blique wrote: »
    Just run the configuration the first time through rather than playing it. This got me on my first shot, since I couldn't actually select any items on the menu. Once I figured that out, it was alright, the controls are still kind of weird (can't use enter to accept an action) but the game is simple enough that it doesn't matter.

All I have to say is that this game doesn't screw around with you, it's really hard. I'm already on day 7 with less than $3000 in the bank and no inventory, so it looks like I'll have to restart. I'm guessing this is one of those games where you need to have a near perfect strategy just to make it through.

Have you gone dungeoneering? And how much do you price-gouge, on average? 130%?

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
    edited December 2010
    1) You don't have to restart. You'll keep any affection you've built up with your customers, your inventory, and your adventurer levels.

2) Do not price gouge ever. Go for just pins, it is very important for the long run.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg