As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam Steam lol | We have some classy gents here in this thread.

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
Wallpaper_PCG_800x600_1.jpg

There are 10 DAYS left in the Steam Holiday Sale.

We have a great bunch of people here on the site, many of whom give games to others out of the goodness of there own hearts, and to the detriment of their own wallets.
Gaslight wrote: »
Big Isy wrote: »
Haikira wrote: »
Bigisy is a classy dude!

Thanks a lot!

We all are!

I was gonna insert an image of some classy gents but GiS is coming up nasty D:

Outerwear.jpg

Just search for tophats, tophats are cruise control for classy.

Special mention goes out to:

ArcSyn
Figgy
BigIsy
Gaslight
ProjectMayhem
Lawndart
Morrandir
and
Jintor,

all of whom have done some sort of contest to give away free games. (Sorry if I missed anyone)

These people, and others who just give out games willy-nilly, are the reason why these threads go through 20 pages in an hour around this time of year.

Thanks guys!

The rest of this post was created by, and completely stolen from, our good friend Suds.

pasteambanner.jpg

steamregulator.jpg

BIG OLD LIST OF GAMES ON SALE

steamlogom.png
20041015h.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

2. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

3. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

http://www.ddgamer.com/signatures.php. Select Avatar from the drop down list.

You need to delete your Avatar under:
Edit Avatar

Then add that URL in the Avatar URL field in:
Edit Your Details

Also, the border changes colour based on if you're online, offline or in-game.

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Sales Tracker
This is apparently a sortable list of all the cool stuff on Steam that you can narrow down via categories (like "on sale") but it may have ceased to work.

The Mis-Adventures of LewieP
As funny as the following comic is, LewieP does spend a lot of time looking for bargains, for us.
steamopedit.jpg

adventureoflewiep.jpg

The Steam Circle of Life
This image is from the SomethingAwful forums Steam thread. Hilariously enough it basically describes our Steam thread too:
steamsathread2.png

Steam iPhone App
You have an iPhone? That money could easily have been spent on Steam games. If you want to make the best of your shiny gadget, however, check out this Steam iPhone app. For less than the price of a grande mocha frappacino or whatever, you can buy an unofficial program (which appears to have been created by a PA guy who has not stepped forward if the Armadeaddon screengrab means anything) which does all sorts of Steam shit.

To top it all off, a comic by our own Iolo. It's fun-tastic!

peekandpoke.jpg

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Damn it. You beat me by like 30 seconds. Was gonna post the new thread.

Anyways yah... I need more monies for these games D:

Zerokku on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey, my name is in the OP?! Awesome!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Classy, you say?

Monocle-futurama-9351683-424-360.gif

<3

AdditionalPylons on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is no PC version of Bayonetta. If that went up on Steam, I'd buy it regardless of price.

same here. it's a genre-defining game.
    It's not, actually. It's overtly and intentionally of a genre defined by Devil May Cry. Still amazing, though.

They're not saying that it invented the genre

They're saying that it defined it

There is a difference

indeed, and bayonetta is definitely the genre definer

similar interaction between metroid and castlevania games

sure, metroid invented it, but i wouldnt by shy to say symphony of the night defined it
    I would consider DMC1 to have invented that genre and DMC3 to have defined it. Bayonetta is an extension of it, sure, but so was God Hand.

No it wasn't

God Hand was a 3D brawler

Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, and God of War are character action games
    I disagree that what you are classing as a character action game is separate from the modern equivalent of a brawler!

I also don't have the energy to argue it.

Monger on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I ought to be wearing two monacles for this thread.

Maddoc on
  • SvenSven Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Reposting my question due to the death of the old thread

I need a good RPG, preferably something of an older style, anybody know of anythign off steam like that?

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    this is my frist stam xmas sale and it is amazng! picked up the wicher, which i LOVE, recettar, and ME & ME2. this is looking great

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Meanwhile I will fight you to the ends of the earth

No contest from me today I'm afraid, everybody else seems to have it wrapped up quite nicely.

Unless.

Unless...

Jintor on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FUCK IT, IT'S COMPETITION TIME

Today's offering is ONE copy of DEAD RISING 2. In order to win it, post your real-life emergency zombie contigency plan (I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE ONE) here in this thread, and PM me with your email.

Fuck yeah, this generosity thing is awesome.

Jintor on
  • nickystixxnickystixx Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Left 4 Dead 2 has got me feeling classy!

nickystixx on
  • DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Worst thing about todays sale? No decent, cheap game to gift. Burnout yesterday was perfect, everyone loves Burnout. If tommorow doesnt have something good for a cheap comp then I'm just gonna give away an old game like Jedi Academy or something (then weep when it becomes 1p on a daily or something).

Maybe im just cheap but I'd rather give away 2 older cheap games rather than 1 $10 game. (Well a bit more over here in £land). Dammit steam make it easier for me to make random interneters smile for a few seconds.

*edit I am cheap. No maybes lol.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    True story. When I first played Recettear, I had not yet played Dragon Warrior 3. Thus, the screenshot with the volcano was a reference quite lost on me.

Tamin on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Risen looks interesting. So sick of games getting refused classification.
    Gah!

Rizzi on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    True story. When I first played Recettear, I had not yet played Dragon Warrior 3. Thus, the screenshot with the volcano was a reference quite lost on me.

Yeah, pretty much any parody RPG needs to include that scene.

Case in point: Cthulhu Saves the World

v4_DQ3_intro_Parody.png

RainbowDespair on
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DanWeino wrote: »
    Worst thing about todays sale? No decent, cheap game to gift. Burnout yesterday was perfect, everyone loves Burnout. If tommorow doesnt have something good for a cheap comp then I'm just gonna give away an old game like Jedi Academy or something (then weep when it becomes 1p on a daily or something).

Maybe im just cheap but I'd rather give away 2 older cheap games rather than 1 $10 game. (Well a bit more over here in £land). Dammit steam make it easier for me to make random interneters smile for a few seconds.

I plan to use Pirates! for this very kind of scheme.
    Of course then Steam decided I couldn't send a gift out to the only person on my Steam friends list who had Pirates! on their wishlist. Whatever though, I shall not be deterred and eventually somebody is getting Pirates! as a gift!

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sven wrote: »
    Reposting my question due to the death of the old thread

I need a good RPG, preferably something of an older style, anybody know of anythign off steam like that?

There are the two Eschalon games (Book 1 and 2). They're pretty old school.

Anyone know if Darksiders has issues with dual monitors? The game keeps crashing on startup for me.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oy, a new thread!

EDIT: i stand by my assessment of bayonetta

DMC was most people's introduction to over the top action

but nothing

NOTHING

beats BIG BANG BONUS

so yeah, genre defining

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jintor wrote: »

Today's offering is ONE copy of DEAD RISING 2. In order to win it, post your real-life emergency zombie contigency plan (I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE ONE) here in this thread, and PM me with your email.

Since I live in a forested area with lakes around, I would just bunker down at my house and live off the wildlife that comes around. As for the zombies I have a couple of guns to defend myself. If needed I would go out on the lake.

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just so it doesn't get lost in the thread transition:
    Alright chaps, just for fun I'm gifting Op:Flashpoint, because it is cheap and looks to have reviewed passably well if you're into it's sort of thang. I would gift something a bit more substantial but I'm cooking up the majority of an orphans' Christmas Eve dinner for all my friends who can't be with their family and it is getting costly.

Anyways, entry is simple: PM me your steam name or send me a friend request (steam ID ultimanecat here in Sydney) in the next 30 minutes. Winner will be chosen at random from all entrants. Also, please don't force me to have to make a tough decision to cut you due to being a member for less than a month.

Happy Christmas Eve from the future to everyone who isn't Australian / Kiwi!

Edit: If you add me as a friend, don't worry if I don't immediately add you back. I'm going to wait to do that to keep the entrants sorted! Also, the above was not meant as a slight against Aussies or Kiwis. You can have a happy Christmas Eve too!

Posted at 9:30 or so, so you still have 15 minutes to enter.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Still super conflicted about Dead Rising 2

How much does the GfWL integration suck?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mafia II is available for download on Amazon for $12.50 as a part of their year-end game download sale. I am curious if it's possible to register that version with Steam, because the retail version shows up in the list of games accepted on Steam.

SteevL on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh hey, my name is in the OP. Wacky.

Hey, new Steam thread means I get to pick

a winner for my Alpha Protocol contest!

So, after sorting through the many awesome entries, I have to give it to An-D for his real-life example of talking his way out of being sent to a Chinese prison.

Since someone else already offered An-D a copy of AP, I'll pick a runner-up just in case. That would be fadingatheedges for accurately identifying two conversation options sorely missing from Alpha Protocol.

So, PM me your email addresses and at least one of you gets a free game!

Lawndart on
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

if i was home i would post my actual copy of
    zombie_survival_guide.jpg

to prove that i am ready for the coming zombie apocalypse.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ooo just thought of something. On the store page for a game, underneath add to wishlist they need to put in a list of all your friends who have that game in their wishlist. Saves you trawling through lots of lists to see.

I'd like to be browsing and see some other cool dude wants the same game, then I can gift it.

Simples.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Still super conflicted about Dead Rising 2

How much does the GfWL integration suck?

Most people have annoyances getting it set up, after that its usually not terribly detrimental outside of occasional issues with it eating saves (and hell trying to back them up in any way). Never ran into that one myself though. In my experience its actually not too bad, just usually superfluous.

And like its cousin on the 360, multiplayer matchmaking sucks balls (though thats not applicable to DR2)

Zerokku on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

Yeah, pretty much any parody RPG needs to include that scene.

Case in point: Cthulhu Saves the World

v4_DQ3_intro_Parody.png

Awesome-tastic!

Tamin on
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Get Weapons. Steal Helicopter. Go to Hawaii. Hope zombies dont swim.

Edit: Just need to write one more D=

1. Get a lot of supplies,weapons and scientists and hide in underground bunker.
    2. Tell scientists to develop a time machine as fast as possible
    3. Go forward in time to the 41st millenium dressed as a space marine and ask for help
    4. Come back with space marines

AdditionalPylons on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm an ESL teacher and that's actually an assignment I give my students - give a presentation in English on what you would do if there was a zombie apocalypse. Very amusing to watch their presentations. My personal favorite was probably "Become a superhero with the ability to turn zombies back into humans."

As for my own contigency plan, pretty straightforward.

1. Have enough supplies on hand that you can hole up for a month or two to let the worst of the outbreak take its toll.
    2. After the month, go search for supplies & other capable survivors (the uncapable ones will have died off by now) in your customized armored mini-van.
    3. Rebuild civilization in your image with the survivors you've picked up. Divide efforts between salvaging for supplies, killing off remaining zombies nearby, and researching the zombie virus in an attempt to create a new DNA altering chemical that will turn the survivors into superhuman demi-gods.
    4. Profit.

RainbowDespair on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

So, there are problems with every location. Houseboat? Zombies will float due to corpse gasses. Secure Basement? What if a fire breaks out in the house above, zombies get a hot meal. Penthouse? Fire below, again, hot zombie lunch.

The way I see it we need to band together and make a Fallout Vault. Just without the
    insane experiment
    part. It needs to have 2 sections. The front part has quarantine medical bays for vetting health of anyone joining. This needs to be able to completely able to be separated from the back half. The back half is living quarters. You seen Blast From the Past? Stocked like that. With some hydroponic gardens for fresh food.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Questions!!

How is Darksiders annnd how is it with a keyboard and mouse? ALSO! Mass Effect 2. I still havent beaten the first one but should I go ahead and pick up 2?

projectmayhem on
  • Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

My house is pretty defensible. It's near a source of freshwater AND all our water comes from our own well. We draw power from a nuclear power plant that happens to be near 2 Army bases, so we'd probably have electricity for a while. We also pretty much live in a forest, so there is plenty of trees for fuel and animals to hunt. I have friends very close by who have multiple firearms and are experienced hunters, and they would definitely stay and help defend a fortified position. So I think I'm pretty good. Plus if shit ever gets bad I can just go up to one of the Army bases, which happens to be the USMA, and if you've ever seen it you know it would stand up to an attack extremely well.

Doctor Deimos on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    COMPETITION TIME... IN SPACE!

That's right, folks. Mass Effect is on sale, and more people need to share this interstellar love.

Rules are simple, yet complicated. PM me a picture (either photo or poorly MS Paint'd) of yourself or someone else speaking the words "Ah yes, Reapers" while whipping out some rad air quotes. Best picture wins.

And because certain people seem to be doing it, the rule of at least 100 posts and membership longer than 1 year stands. Deadline is tomorrow when the new sales pop up.

What are you waiting for? GO!

Toldo on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Since someone got me reading these from the last thread:

chickenzombieletter.jpg

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited December 2010

I live in a rural area and know dudes who have a lot of guns

We could live off our own supplies for some time before we had to forage

If a horde came up from the south, we'd pile into our truck, drive as far as we could (away from major population centers) and head north until the zombies freeze

Shelter would be hard to come by, but I know a place we could get a hold of an RV, so that would solve that problem, at least temporarily

After we head west I guess we'd head up past the mountains to California. I got family over there and as long as the infection started on the east coast, it'd probably be safe enough. If not, I hear Alaska is nice, or British Columbia

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What is Patrician IV?

Lucascraft on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

110867288_2ec7d696de.jpg

projectmayhem on
    edited December 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What is Patrician IV?

It's the fourth Patrician game!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2010
    God damn it. People need to have contests for games I don't have (like Darksiders >.>)

Already have DR2 and ME2 :P

Zerokku on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So Witcher tried to tell me my hardware was inadequate to run it, despite it being adequate. Fortunately they have a -donotforceminreqs tag I can put in there and force it to run. If only Just Cause 2 also had such a switch.. :(

I wish games would warn you that you don't meet min, but at least let you TRY to run them and turn down settings. So stupid when they won't run at all and you have to go searching for workarounds.

Wait, where is this?

Captain Carrot on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

zombieplan.jpg

fadingathedges on