As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam Steam lol | We have some classy gents here in this thread.

• JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    FUCK IT, IT'S COMPETITION TIME

Today's offering is ONE copy of DEAD RISING 2. In order to win it, post your real-life emergency zombie contigency plan (I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE ONE) here in this thread, and PM me with your email.

Fuck yeah, this generosity thing is awesome.
    110867288_2ec7d696de.jpg

Pfffft

Jintor on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Today's offering is ONE copy of DEAD RISING 2. In order to win it, post your real-life emergency zombie contigency plan (I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE ONE) here in this thread, and PM me with your email.

I actually do have one:

We're roughly 1.4 miles away from a shooting range. In case of an outbreak the initial plan to is head down via the smaller back roads leading to the range and pick up weaponry. weaponry of choice will be a .35 carbine as they can be loaded with and successfully fire several calibers of bullets. Most of which are mass produced and carried in most shops in the US. Thus allowing for the greatest possibility of ammo discovery.

A handgun and axe will also be procured on site at the shooting range. From there it's down further south about another 2 miles to steal a motorcycle from the dealership and also head into the nearby small asian market to pick up food supplies such as pickled vegetables and the like. I'll then use the motorcycle to head north into the mountains where there are mostly small towns. (Living in georgia and all.) so I'll find myself a relatively remote town to set up camp in as I further stock supplies.

Once I'm sufficiently supplied I'd then continue north, heading into the colder regions of canada, as zombies are apt to seize up in the extreme cold. I'll use a hiking guide to find a mounty cabin or a lumberjack lodge (Which I've checked and are marked on the guides you can pick up from visitor centers) and sequester myself off, setting up trapping lines, fishing and generally playing wilderness man for several months until things have gone from bad to worse. I'll then head out towards the nearest small town to see about killing off the probably zombified populace to secure any additional material supplies I may need or run out of in the interim.

I have a more detailed plan including prefered street routes and the sort to get to my destinations but I figure this is long enough considering your average steam thread post. oops.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OK, people at CAG are reporting that Amazon's downloadable version of Mafia II, currently selling for $12.50, can definitely be registered on Steam. That's the best price I've seen on that game. I think it was on sale in the $30 range during Steam's Thanksgiving sales.

SteevL on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, if I could get Blur for 14.99 on a console, I totally would. I have a feeling that the PC community for that game is probably pretty small, and on top of that I am very ill equipped to play that style of game on my PC.

Lucascraft on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Still super conflicted about Dead Rising 2

How much does the GfWL integration suck?

Works fine. Great game.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jintor wrote:

First things first: get naked. It will make me more lithe and agile, plus the zombies probably won't care and those that do will probably want to avoid me. I may make an exception for some solid tennis shoes, though.

Second: grease myself up. While this could have the side effect of making my glistening form more appetizing to your average zombie, I seriously doubt anything is going to be able to hold on to a greased-up, nude, fully-grown man long enough to make a meal.

I may try to kickstart civilization again. But not if the above is an issue. Don't try to change me.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

The obvious place is to build your survival shelter in an active volcano, and have a retractable bridge over lava. In this manner you can kill infinite zombies by standing on the other side of the chasm and taunting the zombies with your delicious meats

override367 on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Way off topic, but I always wonder about people whose plans are to go to a gun store/shooting range and get guns. Won't there probably already be people there? Employees and so forth? And wouldn't they probably rather keep the guns for themselves? And have, you know, guns to prevent you from taking their guns?

big l on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't use butter or bacon.

fadingathedges on
    edited December 2010
    You have to realize there are a lot of warnings ahead of time concerning zombie outbreaks. Most people wouldnt even think anything is amiss until after the fact. Those of us who are prepared will act during the initial period, before the full blown outbreak. Only the unprepared would be scrambling once everyone is already in defense mode.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sven wrote: »
    Reposting my question due to the death of the old thread

I need a good RPG, preferably something of an older style, anybody know of anythign off steam like that?

Not on Steam, but Good Old Games is selling both Baldur's Gates, both Icewind Dales, and Planescape: Torment for $10 apiece.

Fanda on
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    big l wrote: »
    Way off topic, but I always wonder about people whose plans are to go to a gun store/shooting range and get guns. Won't there probably already be people there? Employees and so forth? And wouldn't they probably rather keep the guns for themselves? And have, you know, guns to prevent you from taking their guns?

Well,they cant shoot me if i just crashed my car directly into the store

AdditionalPylons on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Not to mention, you're eventually gonna run out of bullets. While I understand having a gun, your primary weapon should be some sort of melee weapon that can easily take off heads at a decent length. No need to worry about amunition.

I'd touch more on this if the contest wasnt for DR2.

Zerokku on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You have to realize there are a lot of warnings ahead of time concerning zombie outbreaks. Most people wouldnt even think anything is amiss until after the fact. Those of us who are prepared will act during the initial period, before the full blown outbreak. Only the unprepared would be scrambling once everyone is already in defense mode.

You think that, but you will always wake up roughly 30 days after the outbreak started in a hospital.

projectmayhem on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think you'd get tired swinging an axe or sword before you'd run out of bullets, unless you don't have that many bullets

I mean you can get a bag of a thousand shitty 9mm bullets online for like $75, if you're serious about the zombie apocalypse you should have at least 15000 bullets stockpiled.

Living in a small town helps, I could get the zombie genocide achievement and still have like 5000 bullets left

override367 on
    edited December 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »

Not to mention, you're eventually gonna run out of bullets. While I understand having a gun, your primary weapon should be some sort of melee weapon that can easily take off heads at a decent length. No need to worry about amunition.

You just need one weapon to survive a zombie apocalypse
    pm56lr.jpg

AdditionalPylons on
    edited December 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »

You just need one weapon to survive a zombie apocalypse
    pm56lr.jpg

:^:

Zerokku on
    edited December 2010
    I actually have a copy of the Zombie Survival Guide sitting on the floor next to my bed. It's great reading material. Preparation is key, people!

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    youd want a multitool weapon. like a crowbar to break into all the places that would likely be boarded up after the outbeak. it's steel so it wont bend to be useless and it can puncture skulls which is what you need. Titanium would best.
    But melee should not be a primary concern, you want to avoid rather then fight.

EDIT: beated by all the zombie survival guide readers here.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
    edited December 2010
    Alright, for my Op:Flash contest, I'm calling it now. Confirmed entrants:

Lord Yod
    Hit Bit
    Dan Weino
    Banzai 5150 (mind sending me a PM?)
    Dyvim Tvar

If you send one in then next few minutes or got lost in the mix, I'll add you. Results forthcoming.

Ultimanecat on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Alright, this is the one I worked out with friends like 3 years ago.

We all make our way to Friend #1's house. We are in Canada where nobody has guns, and he has a shotgun and a luger, so I figure 2 guns is better than no guns.

Then we go to friend #2's house. His Dad has a boat, so we'd get the keys and head to the dock, which is really damn close, like 10 blocks away. We could probably make it.

So we pile into the boat and go out to this little island in the middle of the lake. We'd be safe there as there's no way zombies can manage walking underwater. There's also this awesome little tower in the water near the island, it sits on a block of concrete and there's no way zombies could get up there. If anyone didn't feel safe on the island, we could easily sleep in the tower.

edit: Oh yeah, our supplies would mostly consist of sleeping bags and canned goods and stuff. We'd bring a few tents to the island as well.

As for weaponry, besides the guns, I'd probably bring a baseball bat. I have an old sword, but it's dull as shit and I'm no idiot, I probably wouldn't manage to chop any heads off with that thing.

We'd wait out the carnage on the island, boat back to make supply runs. There's tons of stores near the water, so we really would have to go far to check out grocery stores. We could also start growing food on the island.

Besides this plan, my friend and I were recently brainstorming, and he came up with a brilliant place to stay. On a train! It's so perfect. A big metal box that can just move when you get too surrounded. Trains are pretty high off the ground, I sincerely doubt that any zombie could manage to climb into one even if the doors were open. So I guess if our island exploded we could live in a train.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I think you'd get tired swinging an axe or sword before you'd run out of bullets, unless you don't have that many bullets

I mean you can get a bag of a thousand shitty 9mm bullets online for like $75, if you're serious about the zombie apocalypse you should have at least 15000 bullets stockpiled.

Living in a small town helps, I could get the zombie genocide achievement and still have like 5000 bullets left

Where would you carry all those, while maintaining other basic necessities such as food on your person? You carry too much and you start to slow yourself down from the burden of all the weight.

And don't say it'll be in your car. Good luck keeping the vehicle gassed up.

Chocobolicious pretty much has my plan to a T.

Zerokku on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Awwwww, man. My Frank/Steam Sale comic didn't make the cut in the OP. :(

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited December 2010
    I wonder what all Amazon games will register on Steam. It'd almost be worth fishing them out just for that.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

See, I don't think we need to be so worried about the zombie threat. It's not like we have to stock up on weapons or anything. What would you use against zombies, anyway? I'm sure we will be plenty safe in our homes, cuddled next to our loved ones, and reading our favourite bed-time stories.

So, please. Do not barricade your homes, collect weapons, and start forming tight combat groups. I'm sure there are no zombies coming to eat your brains. We can just relax and keep our composure, right?

Sincerely,

Figgy.

PS: I really hope zombies don't know how to follow hotlinks.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited December 2010
    Alright, I did get late entrant AdditionalPylons.

And the winner is: HiTBit! Congrats! You're making out like a bandit!

Methodology if you're interested: All entrants assigned a number 1-6, and then had a RNG pick in that range.

Ultimanecat on
  • AncasterAncaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm kicking myself for not buying BFBC2 on the first day. Fingers crossed it goes on sale again.

Ancaster on
    edited December 2010
    Ancaster wrote: »
    I'm kicking myself for not buying BFBC2 on the first day. Fingers crossed it goes on sale again.

Assuming the last day is a recap of best sellers, it should be there. Not to get your hopes up, but theres a chance...

Zerokku on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FREE SHIT

Rules, have your steam ID in your sig, accept my friend request and open the gift I send you. Um. Much like all the other games ive given away this week, it will be random what game and who it goes to. DUN DUN DUN.

projectmayhem on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My zombie plan?
    puma.jpg

Rizzi on
    edited December 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    My zombie plan?
    puma.jpg

Oh god,how could i forget. One of the reasons i love l4d2 is that i could beat the crap out of zombies with a cricket bat. Dammit,need to watch shaun of the dead again.

AdditionalPylons on
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Project is good peoples, you all should be friends with him.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As if Fire Emblem weren't proof enough that Random Number Generators hate me:->

I'm sorely tempted to put my zombie outbreak plan up here, although I don't want Dead Rising 2 since I already played that to death on the 360. May post it anyway if I get time to commit it to text during the course of the evening.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, I wish I had the money to give away, like, a shittonne more copies of the game.

Jintor on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If anyone is thinking about getting into flight sims, Wings of Prey is a good buy. Graphics are superb and it scales nicely from 'dinky arcade flyer' to 'oh god what altitude do i need to switch my supercharger at?' simulator. Apparently the DLC adds co-op modes as well.

If you're already a flightsim nerd then you already own IL-2 and don't need this unless you're looking for a diversion.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've got three extra copies of Iron Grip: Warlord. It's a multiplayer RTS/FPS hybrid set in WWII. Talk*C gets a copy because he's the only one on my friends list who has the game on his wishlist. So, there ya go.

The other two will go out to two people on my friends list at random who want it. To indicate that you do indeed want it, put the number 1 in front of your steam profile name. I'll draw the names in half an hour (around 7pm EST).

(You must have been a member for at least 3 months and have a minimum post count of 100.)

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MasterCylinderMasterCylinder Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If anyone missed the Witcher sale, it's $5 through Amazon's digital download service right now. I couldn't get it to add to Steam though. Blood Bowl: Dark Elf Edition is also $5 although I can't speak to its steaminess.

MasterCylinder on
    sig.gif
    PSN: thpace | Steam: MasterCylinder
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I have actually been preparing for this for some time and I believe I have made the most sacrifices and long-term plans to survive the coming zombie apocalypse.

I used to make bank working for the man. I was a spook, I did what I was told and dug up the dirt on anyone who the man didn't like. I was swank I rode on my brand new wheels and smoked cigars with all my CEO pals.

But one day I woke up and realized that not only were we all zombies in a figurative sense, chasing cash and power instead of brains, but we could all end up literal zombies in the blink of an eye. Maybe it would be war, or a plague or maybe it would just be a slow degeneration.

So I laid out my options and I didn't like any of em. Buy a bunker in the middle of Montana from some whacked out nutjob and drive myself and my family crazy with boredom. Or stay in the city and develop an escape plan complete with topo maps of the surrounding countryside for 300 miles in every direction and a SUV packed with supplies for a month.

Or purchase a small island and develop an army of robots, immune from any human diseases to be our servants and live out our lives in luxury.

Well, the family put the kabosh on the first plan. The second plan was fraught with peril and unlikely to succeed in the event of a true apocalypse. And I quite simply didn't have the money for the third plan.

After tossing for days in my sleep with dreams of my daughters and wife being eaten alive by a mass of mindless murdering monsters I sat up in bed one night and shouted "eureka!"

The details weren't worked out, there were plenty of pitfalls but this plan just might work.

We would move to a rural village in the Northeast close enough to friends and family and job opportunities that we wouldn't die of boredom or become paupers, yet far enough away from population centers to avoid a mass exodus or any spillover from an apocalyptic event. We had family in a small town in Vermont so we would have a support network.

I found a job at the only tech company within 60 miles making enough to start laying up supplies for the day I knew would come.

I bought a FN FS200, a couple hundred rounds of ammunition, a shotgun, a pistol and a few other miscellaneous firearms and armaments.

A bought supplies that would come in handy such as wool blankets, oil lamps, first aid supplies and anything I might need in case of a complete collapse of infrastructure. Then, because no matter how much you have stockpiled, it will eventually run out if the lights NEVER come back on, I made sure our lifestyle was sustainable long term.

We bought some sheep and chickens and pigs and learned how to raise them. We learned how to plant gardens and can and store up food. My wife learned to make bread and yogurt and butter. I started acquiring tools to flesh out a workshop for repairing things that might break. I even bought some tobacco seeds to learn how to grow and process that myself for the occasional back porch pipe.

We bought a house that was off the grid. We're still on a generator but are installing solar panels sometime in the near future. My wife has horses so we can use the, for transportation or working the garden if the gas ever stops flowing.

We stay connected to the rest of the world, we've got internet at the house and I still work a 9-5 job. But if Z-day every happens I know we'll be ready.

iamthepieman on
    edited December 2010
    Good god I need a bigger hard drive. 500GB is way too small. I'd upgrade, but my gaming PC is a laptop :P

Zerokku on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey... there's a Mass Effect competition a couple of pages back.

Toldo on