As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forum Badge design

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I love 1.1

No clue why the forum logo thing has been reopened.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Was the decision to add the d20's instead of the stars overruled? 'cause that would add extra geek, but not in this case.. the stars are hardly noticeable, especially at distance.

I like it though, it really looks like you'd want to show it off EVERY WHERE. Is that last year's PAX East badge background?

EDIT: Im dumb and cant read the entire topic :(, was in a rush... 1.1 is great!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    1.1, for sure.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    But I am a fan of the abomination (despite some formatting-- main body too close to the website.)

Also:
    I THINK THAT WAX RIBBON IS TOO KAWAII FOR WORDS.

Nullthread on
  • Options
    MistyOLRMistyOLR Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Of the updates, I'm seeing 1.1 as the more distinctive option. It looks very nice. :D

MistyOLR on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, as the guy who is in "charge" of the forum logo, I'll explain myself.

Reading through the comments after declaring the final draft gave me the impression that there were still bugs in the system with it and that it should be allowed to be reworked. Then I came on here and had people asking why certain parts of the logo were there and how distracting they were on the badge. So I reopened the process to revision to make absolutely, positively sure that everything would be final and make everyone happy. (Even when I'm leading a charge, I'm a people pleaser. It's a weakness.)

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    1.1 is my favorite so far. Although 3.0 was a cool idea, I feel like non-forumers would just get confused and not even bother trying to read it.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I will endorse 1.1, provided that kropotkin agrees to put the wax seal in the corner on the reverse.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell
    Just be careeeeefffffuuuulllll!!!!

Moar wax seals.

Nullthread on
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    New to the forums so I don't know if my say means anything. I've been lurking around the forums for a while and finally registered. That being said I would vote for version 2.0. While I can see people liking version 1.1, 2.0 just seems cleaner to me and I personally like the cleaner design. All three versions look great though.

nevermore13 on
  • Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like 1.1

2.0 is nice as well, its just too red. I know PAX EAST is red, but the red PAX EAST logo on the red background makes it blend in to much.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm loving the 1.1 design. I'm bad with design so I will let the people decide on what changes to make but I know what I like and I like 1.1. Keep up the good work.

spiderz13 on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey Moe, maybe you could throw a poll in here and put V 1.1 and V2 to vote? Just a thought

Goose! on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, Goose.... It looks like it's 90/10 for people who like 1.1 vs people who like 2.0. But maybe that's just my own confirmation bias.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    cherincherin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    really like 1.1 and version 3.

Could a variant of version 3 be on the back of badge with the names?

cherin on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cherin wrote: »
    really like 1.1 and version 3.

Could a variant of version 3 be on the back of badge with the names?

This is an excellent idea. I shall ponder it and come up with something after Christmas.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their input into the development of the design of the forum badge. This makes it as much yours as it is mine.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited December 2010
    kropotkin wrote: »
    I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their input into the development of the design of the forum badge. This makes it as much yours as it is mine.

In that case, you owe me $100 in licensing fees.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You may bring my badge to our Dixit game, at which point I will have 3 badges (all back to back because I hate money and love pax) and thus be a triple proud member.

Side Note: 1.1 is my personal favorite.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think those forum badges are really cool. I personally like the coat of arms one more.

FireWater on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like the 1.1 as well. The coat of arms just looks more polished than the text heavy 2 design. That being said I'd wear any of them proudly (as proudly as a guy can wear a badge declaring "Hi My Name is Lindsey Lohan")

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ShervynShervyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Love 3, but would be almost equally happy with 1.1

Shervyn on
    A man who could afford $50 had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in 10 yrs' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a $100 on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. -Vimes
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Shervyn wrote: »

You see, someone understands why the 'abomination' AKA version 3 has merit. It reeks of PAX! It's a freaking warrant written in Middle English. Kind of.

Anyway it would appear version 1.1 is the favourite although it remains in a state of flux until the coat of arms for the forums settles down to something we can all agree on. In the mean time I'll work on the rear of the badge...

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is so cool. I proudly wore my badge last year and I'm looking forward to the new badge. Thank you very much for all your work on this kropotkin.

Trion on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

You see, someone understands why the 'abomination' AKA version 3 has merit. It reeks of PAX! It's a freaking warrant written in Middle English. Kind of.

Anyway it would appear version 1.1 is the favourite although it remains in a state of flux until the coat of arms for the forums settles down to something we can all agree on. In the mean time I'll work on the rear of the badge...

I think we've agreed to use the coat of arms for East as a public beta.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I actually like the new one with the badge a little better than the one's you made last year. ( even though that was good too )

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MelesMeles wrote: »

I think we've agreed to use the coat of arms for East as a public beta.

In fact, as the person who started the thread on the coat of arms for the forum, I can confirm that East will be the logo's Public Beta test.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Glad to hear the coat of arms will be making it's debut at East, v1.1 really deserves to be the selection I think. I can't see exclusivity being an issue, rather the badges will hopefully encourage people to talk about the forums in the lines etc. Speaking to an enthusiastic community member > just seeing a forum address imho.

On a related note, has it actually been decided how we can get our grubby little mitts on one of these yet?

Landerolin on
    Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Landerolin wrote: »
    On a related note, has it actually been decided how we can get our grubby little mitts on one of these yet?

Distribution is be the normal 2 type method, those being at pre-PAX social gatherings and at the event itself.

The Pre-PAX gatherings are the PAX-East Train Alliance, the Pre-PAX Dinner, Pre-PAX Fried Food Lunch and Pre-PAX Gaming Night (Thursday only). If you're attending one of these, you'll get a badge.

At the event itself, that is always at the BYOC registration desk from midday on 11th March 2011. Note: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN THE POSSESSION OF A BYOC BADGE TO GET A FORUM BADGE! Just walk up to one of the enforcers that are manning the desk and they will ask you a question to ensure you qualify for a badge. Questions and their answers will be published on this thread very soon.

Point to note; it is as the enforcer's discretion whether or not to ask more than one question. Some have been known to employ the use of thumb screws or indeed force people to play twenty minutes of Two Worlds before they are considered for a badge. I'd just like to say at this point that I cannot take responsibility for such actions, I'm sure they have good reason to employ them....

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like the second version, because it looks more official. I would be happy with any of them, because it's not official.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think 3 would be too long to read and/or unable to read from the same max. distance you can see the PAX logo or the forumers logo. I'm still in the boat for 1.1

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am all for version 1.1 with some type of warrant being used on the back with the forumer names if at all possible...

"Let it be henceforth known that all below etc etc etc ergo ipso facto colombo oreo"

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm all for 1.1 - great work, kropotkin!

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    edited January 2011
    flatline wrote: »
    I am all for version 1.1 with some type of warrant being used on the back with the forumer names if at all possible...

"Let it be henceforth known that all below etc etc etc ergo ipso facto colombo oreo"

Ooh. I like this idea. It shall be enacted, complete with wax seal. Huzzah!

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Awesome job again kropotkin!! I LOVE the coat of arms and can't wait to get mine!!!

Last year rocked too!!!!

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I 100% believe "ergo ipso facto colombo oreo" should be added.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ahh, nice looking design for 1.1 :)

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I do so love how easy these make spotting and glomping people. Thanks for putting another one together.

I do however propose ear tags and RFID chips for Prime.

And those ankle monitors for some...

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I definitely like 1.1. I like that the main focus is the forum logo, and that it is a change from what we have had in the past.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll take one million of version 1.1!

I mean... one. I like 1.1. And would like to possess one.

DMmagic on
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like v1.1, though v3 is kinda cool. Definitely would be looking to grab one of these.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247