As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 12-22-10: Everything is Hyper-Mega!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Graphic Violence
Batman Inc. #2, Lord Death Man is hella crazy:

bi2a.jpg

I shouldn't laugh at that but Paquette drawing the kids in wheelchairs in the background makes it funny.

Jiro, who actually did all the work as Mr. Unknown because he was 56 years old, proves himself to Batman and saves Super Young Team's Aquazon from Death Man (who drives his car from rooftop to rooftop killing people)

bi2b.jpg

And Jiro did the Batman oath (like Dick did as a kid) and is now a fully dressed Batman in Tokyo.

And last week Strange Tales II had a USAgent story that is great, because he's the best and nothing phases him.

st2usagent3.jpg

st2usagent4.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lord Death Man is the dumbest name for a character I have ever heard.

it sounds like something someone who is "so high right now" would giggle at.

Langly on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's like the US Agent comic was written by US Agent.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Lord Death Man is the dumbest name for a character I have ever heard.

it sounds like something someone who is "so high right now" would giggle at.

it's based on an obscure japanese batman comic
    it's supposed to be silly

Antimatter on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    He says, super-sweet, I don't think he's supposed to be OMGSerious.

admanb on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's like the US Agent comic was written by US Agent.
    Seriously, I want to see Warden Walker forcing some incarcerated artist to draw this, over in Thunderbolts.

I had a good comic book week. Chew came out, introduced an interesting new character, and then Layman and Guillory did what they always do with their awesome new characters.

Deadpool was surprisingly good. For the first time in a long while, it felt like Way was channeling Kelly's Deadpool, in a big way. He's very competent, funny, trying to do the right thing, and also unhinged to the degree that he's dangerous to the people he's trying to help. There's a part where he's trying to save a woman from vampires, and she's trying to get away from him, so he shoots her in the leg. Which felt like classic Deadpool, to me. Also, Bong Dazo draws it, and he's amazing.

The Dynamo 5 Christmas Special was also good. It opens up with a light-powered villain attacking two teenage girls, and follows that up by mentioning sexual assault. So I was immediately thinking, "Is Jay Faerber writing Dynamo 5: Identity Crisis: Holiday Special, or what?" But then he turns the thing on its head with a not-so-surprising reveal, that gives a warm and fuzzy, very optimistic kind of resolution to the story. And there's a bunch of two-page back-ups that show what other Faerber-verse characters are up to.

Haunt was good too, but the main conflict, which had been building for the past twelve issues, really resolved with a whimper. But, it set up some interesting stuff for the new arc, showed how all the characters have grown, and teased a new antagonist, who basically looks like what'd happen if Spawn and The Maxx had a baby.

Also, I got Ted Noodleman, one of the first comics Ryan Ottley illustrated, as well as an All-New Atom TPB, at 50% off. So that was cool.

Yay, comics!

Munch on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Look I don't care if it was written by the god of Irony, Lord Death Man is a dumb name.

Langly on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I continue to be absolutely uninterested in any Batman that isn't Bruce.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What's that have to do with this thread?

admanb on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What's that have to do with this thread?

Batman, Inc?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Batman Inc is basically about Bruce.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yes, but it's about making other people Batmen. Not even League of Heroes type Batmen, but actual Batmen.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Look I don't care if it was written by the god of Irony, Lord Death Man is a dumb name.

Yes, he should have a reasonable name, like Bat Man or Cat Woman.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lord Death Man is an awesome name, fool.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lord Death Man is a very straight forward and functional handle. It tells you his title, what that title applies to, and his species. Elegant.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lord Death Man is a very straight forward and functional handle. It tells you his title, what that title applies to, and his species. Elegant.

:^::^::^:

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

"I don't care if it's supposed to be dumb, it's dumb"?

So in other words mission accomplished

Furu on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh my god Strange Tales II #3

oh man

oh maaaaan

I actually liked things about every issue I got this week (Spider-man 650, x-force 3, iron man 33, uncanny 531 despite myself)

but Strange Tales II! It's a collection and I thought that literally every single story was awesome.

edit: if I had to pick one single moment, though, maybe the panel after "widdle baby"

desc on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Silver Surfer strip in STII #3 was really good, made me realize Surfer gets a lot of shit for being the messenger.

And the Spider-Man story by Eduardo Medeirous was fun too.

Trying to get Ben to help him fight Juggs:
    Thing: Yeah yeah, alright. But I'm finishing my sandwich first.
    Spider-Man: Fair Enough. Hurry up though, will ya?
    Thing: I will get there when I get there. Good day, sir.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Do yourself a favor and learn the history of Lord Death Man.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/09/20/lord-death-man-batman-inc/

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Someone tell me if UXM contains any Rockslide

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    He was in Legacy at the end talking with others about Han Solo meeting Indiana Jones, I'll post that panel tomorrow.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    desc wrote: »
    I actually liked things about every issue I got this week (Spider-man 650, x-force 3, iron man 33, uncanny 531 despite myself)

I feel like Uncanny 531 read way better than the last few issues, but I may just be crushing on Gillen.

I mean, I'm definitely crushing on Gillen, but...

admanb on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lord Death man going Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift was the highlight of my week.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I feel like Uncanny 531 read way better than the last few issues, but I may just be crushing on Gillen.

ROCKSLIDE CONTENT, REVEAL IT TO ME

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There was no Rockslide.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    but the solicit promised rockslide!

Furu on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    1271354818.jpg&w=300

No More Rockslide

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    nooooooooh well there's serve and protect next week at least

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Here is Santo, Anole, and Alani highlighting why they are the real X-Club:

xml243a.jpg

Hellion just got put on probation for killing Omega Sentinel and Rogue said he needs to turn to the team and his friends.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hellion you suck

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, Tex. That seemed pretty cloying and tired to me.
    I recall bearing witness to people arguing a Batman vs. Optimus Prime match. After about five minutes I couldn't take it anymore and challenged them to tell me which of the two could make a better potato salad instead.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Oh it is, and makes Hellion's decision to just ignore them seem like the right one. That is the future of mutantkind right there, revel in it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It amazes me they could get Rock-dude done so right and detailed, but this important final shot of broody guy they couldn't even make his face fit on his head. Or is that his mutant power?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

Oh it is, and makes Hellion's decision to just ignore them seem like the right one. That is the future of mutantkind right there, revel in it.

giantmiddlefinger.jpg

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Alani is cool, I should take that back about her. She needs to be positioned as the next Kitty, not Pixie taking that role. Because Alani should have a little surfing koala alien to be her friend, like Lockheed 2.0. How great would that be? The best.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Alani is serving as Namor's Kitty Pryde right now.

Also Armor is totally the new Kitty Pryde, what with her connection to Wolverine and all.

I still won't stand for you talking mess about Rockslide though.

Furu on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rockslide is Rockslide, and he is awesome.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Alani is Namor's sidekick now? I have read next to nothing about the Namor series since it was first announced; no reviews, or praise, it's just kind of.....there.

Kind of glad Loa is getting more pagetime though, she's a nice regular character who is more interesting than Armor or Pixie (would like to see Mercury more too).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I didn't know either! But my girlfriend is a big Invaders nut and Alani has Namor's 40's era girlfriend's underwater breathing medallion thing.

I haven't read the latest issue yet but there's a connection.

Furu on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yeah, I was about to drop the book but, much like Iron Man, stuff actually happened this issue and I dug it.

Mostly I love how the new fake x-men aren't evil mutant haters, they're just like "GUYS LOOK IS THAT THE X-MEN? LET'S SAY HI! HOW X-TREME IS THIS SHIT? FUCK YEAH!"

Also the little bonus story in Iron Man was pretty slick. Between that and Strange Tales I am a big fan of Marvel finding space for little weird stories. I mean, the neverending succession of big bloated mega-events are generally terrible, and their weird tiny 4-page stories are badical. HELLO MARVEL HELLO IS THIS THING ON HELLO

And I haven't read spider-man in forever, but Big Time seems decent so far. I am big on his new costume and its accompanying stealthy powers.

desc on