As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tomb Raider: Trailer up on IGN. Looks like Uncharted: With A Woman

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Wait, we got free stuff?

Yeah, under "download content" in the main menu. Pack number 2 is "Things that go boom pack". It has four levels. Two are purely combat score challenge with no exit and the other two are puzzle time trials with no enemies.

Peewi on
    edited December 2010
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That what the other two challenge level packs are, pretty much.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited December 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Kain and Lynch if free to gold users, yes.

Also, the third challenge level pack is up on Xbox live for $5, but not the second. Strange.

I read somewhere that to make up for the late release of online co-op, each platform got one of the challenge packs for free. Steam has pack number 2 for free, but none of the others are available.

Xbox Live doesn't have pack #2 at all. Like it doesn't exist.

Undead Scottsman on
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As much as I like the idea of playing through GoL as Raziel and Kain, there is NOT 400 points worth of content there. Unless it's dropped in the last 24 hours, I'll be passing on that one, I think. Kane and Lynch for free, though, that's something I can get behind.

mr-razzcocks on
    edited December 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Kain and Lynch if free to gold users, yes.

Also, the third challenge level pack is up on Xbox live for $5, but not the second. Strange.

I read somewhere that to make up for the late release of online co-op, each platform got one of the challenge packs for free. Steam has pack number 2 for free, but none of the others are available.

Xbox Live doesn't have pack #2 at all. Like it doesn't exist.

It does seem weird that they'd number the packs and then not release them in that order.

Peewi on
    edited December 2010
    Oh dear christ these character packs are hilarious, and they really do have completely new voiceovers and cutscenes. Although half of the Kane and Lynch track is bleeped :D (Which makes it that much funnier)

Probably not worth $5 for the Kain and Raziel unless you REALLY like the characters, but the K&L pack for free is too good to pass up. If you have this game, or even intend to buy it at some point, you MUST download this pack while it's still free.

I really can't decide his pack is most batshit crazy. Having Kane and Lynch running around is definitely surreal, but all of the humor comes from having these two extremly foulmouth mercenaries running around Aztec ruins, fighting off monsters while chasing an evil god. The Kain and Raziel pack seems to have it's humor be more slapstick and witty dialog based. Still, they're both awesome.

EDIT: Also, DLC is getting a little nuts. A $15 game now has like $25 worth of DLC. I can't honestly say all the DLC is worth as much as the core game, let alone $10 more. Were this sold as $10 addon pack I think I could recommend it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's why it's pick and choose. I think it's ideal.

I have no want or need for a Kane and Lynch or Kain and Raziel pack. The standard $15 game was more than enough content for me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's why it's pick and choose. I think it's ideal.

I have no want or need for a Kane and Lynch or Kain and Raziel pack. The standard $15 game was more than enough content for me.

For the price of FREE, you really should get the Kane and Lynch pack. Just for the intro, which made me laugh out loud.

Also - bravo to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics? Square? I cant remember at this point), because this is exactly what I wish more games did. It puts 4 characters and 2 franchises that I really would have never given a second thought to (never had any desire to play Kane and Lynch, and had forgotten about Soul Reaver) back in the forefront - and they did it in a way that immediately makes them likeable and fun.

I may actually try a Kane and Lynch game against my better judgement now. Great cross-promotion.

If Lara Croft 2 (the Lara Croft series is planning on keeping this isometric gameplay, right?) lets you mix and match DLC packs, and maybe even adds 2 more players, I could see this becoming a seriously awesome Marvel Ultimate Alliance type All-Stars game.

Hell, Square owns Just Cause as well. Lets get Rico in there! Sub him for Lara, and the grappling hook doesn't even need to be EXPLAINED.

Spoiler for Kane and Lynch in GotL:
    I love how one of them just goes up and grabs the spear out of the Totec statue and that explains why he has it. He just straight up steals it from the frozen in stone totec.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bolo santosi as rico's partner.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is the second (third?) level pack more interesting or longer than the first one?

I was happy to get the first pack for free, and it was good fun, but if they're all so simple and short, I don't think I want to pay for any more.

mntorankusu on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Never played underworld before. How was it?

Very different from Legend. It lacked the its stupid, extended gunfights against moronic AI and long motorcycle rides.

Climbing was much better. Animations were much better. Visuals were much better. It was also less of a cakewalk.

(UV and I will always disagree on this.)

It's much like the original Tomb Raider--in that it's not about running around shooting people, and exploration and backtracking--so if you don't like backtracking, be wary.

If you are expecting gunfights with 10 or 20 guys at a time, though, you'll be disappointed. There's a much greater atmosphere of isolation.

Synthesis on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The storyline that it continues from Legend, however, is balls-out stupid.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited December 2010
    The obsession with Norse mythology annoys me in most games, including Tomb Raider. The proto-myth idea was more interesting.

Unfortunately, it became the excuse to shooting unending waves of Japanese mobsters and American mercenaries. Which is combination of stupid, boring, and poorly done. It was mercifully done away with in Underworld. Kind of like when they realize the clumsy waves of awkward shooting sucked in Tomb Raider II, and mostly did away with it in III.

The puzzles, thankfully, weren't as bad as the combat.

Synthesis on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, it felt like Legend was a real nice setup for a cool story, with all these different legends and myths coming together. Then Underworld came along and they were like "fuck all that, bigass futuristic Norse stuff!" and kinda threw in the rest of the story slapdash.
    The reveal of Lara's mother really just felt like a "fuck it, the new writer doesn't care about that story, let's just get it out of the way", instead of an actual resolution of a big plot thread

l337CrappyJack on
    edited December 2010
    True. I value exploration over story (TR's story's haven't been stellar, and honestly, Legend wasn't that much of a departure from that), though I'd rather not choose, but Norse was the popular thing to do back then. Fuckin' Vikings.

Apparently, Angel of Death actually had a good story, but that was paired with really bad gameplay...

Synthesis on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It was mercifully done away with in Underworld.

There's plenty of stupid combat in underworld, just less of it with dudes. But when you do fight dudes the absurdity of the combat system really comes out.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited December 2010
    It was mercifully done away with in Underworld.

There's plenty of stupid combat in underworld, just less of it with dudes. But when you do fight dudes the absurdity of the combat system really comes out.

There's no repeat of the Tokyo level, or the Kazakhstan level either. You do have a lot of combat, like on the ship (and ship redux), or in the underground--though that's usually at 2 or 3 enemies at the most. Quite different from fighting ~10 mercenaries at a time, multiple times. It's both frequency and volume. Lara's Shadow throws a lot at you, but given that it uses a very different combat mechanic, it's actually a lot of fun (it plays a bit more like Oni).

Synthesis on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tokyo was sooooo good though/END BAD JOKE

Big Classy on
    edited December 2010
    You got to roll a giant ball. That was pretty sweet.

Synthesis on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It beat flipping blocks.

Big Classy on
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    It beat flipping blocks.

And flipping blocks on seesaw beats fighting Japanese mobsters. It's cyclical like that.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2010
    Tokyo was so good

Scaling the skyscraper is probably my favorite level in a Tomb Raider game to date

Also, noooooooooooooooooo

I was starting to have so much faith in this

Why the fuck do developers shoehorn multiplayer into every fucking thing nowadays

UnbreakableVow on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Because people wont buy shit, otherwise.

Remington on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah

I mean no one bought Mass Effect 2 or Assassin's Creed II or

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010
    Tokyo wavered between meh and horrible.

I think it's a little too early to be going "DOOOMMED" on this because of them hiring someone for multiplayer for something that may or may not be this game. But hey, why not?

DOOOOOOMED!

Synthesis on
    edited December 2010
    Crystal D is hiring people for a multiplayer aspect of their new game

So it's pretty much either this or some new Legacy of Kain they're working on in secret

Competitive multi would feel retarded in this game, and co-op would break that feeling of isolation they're going for completely.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010
    Tokyo was so good

Scaling the skyscraper is probably my favorite level in a Tomb Raider game to date

Why the fuck do developers shoehorn multiplayer into every fucking thing nowadays

Because developers want a quick way to stay relevant for more than a month. Plus multiplayer maps are like the easiest DLC ever.

Undead Scottsman on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes, because every single multiplayer game ever has a strong following that anyone cares about.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah

I mean no one bought Mass Effect 2 or Assassin's Creed II or

You're right. Tomb Raider is getting multiplayer because it will enhance the game experience, not because multiplayer has proven in the past to sell more copies.

Remington on
    edited December 2010
    Yes, because every single multiplayer game ever has a strong following that anyone cares about.

I didn't say it was always (or even often) successful. It's just the quickest way to attempt to do so.

Undead Scottsman on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tokyo was so good

Uncharted 2 and Assasin's Creed are two recent games where people bitched at first about MP being in and both ended up with fantastic single player and great MP. So if they want to add MP to it I'm all for it as long as it's good.

Kyougu on
    edited December 2010
    Crystal D is hiring people for a multiplayer aspect of their new game

So it's pretty much either this or some new Legacy of Kain they're working on in secret

Competitive multi would feel retarded in this game, and co-op would break that feeling of isolation they're going for completely.

What about Gex? No one ever thinks about Gex. Probably including Crystal Dynamics.

Peewi on
    edited December 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Tokyo was so good

Uncharted 2 and Assasin's Creed are two recent games where people bitched at first about MP being in and both ended up with fantastic single player and great MP. So if they want to add MP to it I'm all for it as long as it's good.

Uncharted 2's was forgettable and lame, and I kinda wish they'd instead focused on making the single-player a better experience overall in terms of actually playing it rather than being pushed through a rollercoaster of moments.

Assassin's Creed really was an anomaly in the multiplayer working so well. But I think what makes it work so well is the nature of its stealth gameplay.

This is a free aiming shooter. So...Uncharted again.

Ugh.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Competitive multiplayer could be alright.

For example, Uncharted 2's multiplayer is supposed to be really good. And that's a game about a guy doing his Indiana Jones thing.

Delta Assault on
    edited December 2010
    and I kinda wish they'd instead focused on making the single-player a better experience overall in terms of actually playing it rather than being pushed through a rollercoaster of moments.
    I don't really think that's what Uncharted does.

Setpiece shooters are where the money's at these days.

Monger on
    edited December 2010
    That's what Uncharted 1 did

And it was an infinitely more replayable and satisfying game to play through

UnbreakableVow on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    or some new Legacy of Kain they're working on in secret

If only. :(

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I didn't say it was always (or even often) successful. It's just the quickest way to attempt to do so.
    That really wasn't aimed at you. It was more being reminded that they actually think that happened to make me rage. You were just caught in the crossfire.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png