As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SECRET SUPERMANS 2010 - Give freely of your heart

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Marvel even have an interest in expanding their all-ages offerings

They typically sell poorly because comic book fans can't be bothered to read anything that doesn't have serious adult situations, no matter how contrived

Look at what happened to Thor: Mighty Avenger

The annoying part is that properly-written and -marketed child-aimed books can sell. Looks at The Simpsons comic, selling an average of nearly 82,000 issues in the UK alone from January to June.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    she also drew the cutest Man-Thing

I demand to see this.

Please show me this.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In regards to sales of all-ages titles, I think it's a marketing issue. There ought to be huge displays of comics in the children's section of B&N, but when was shopping there was just a neglected spinner rack and the usual display of graphic novels and manga. In that area, the featured books were Walking Dead books, and if anything those would scare parents away.

Meanwhile, the only tv ads I've seen for books are random ads for Fables, of all things. Why wouldn't you advertise Marvel and DC comics on tv when shows based on those properties are extremely popular? What's the point of tie-in books like Brave and the Bold if kids don't even know they exist?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In regards to sales of all-ages titles, I think it's a marketing issue. There ought to be huge displays of comics in the children's section of B&N, but when was shopping there was just a neglected spinner rack and the usual display of graphic novels and manga. In that area, the featured books were Walking Dead books, and if anything those would scare parents away.

Meanwhile, the only tv ads I've seen for books are random ads for Fables, of all things. Why wouldn't you advertise Marvel and DC comics on tv when shows based on those properties are extremely popular? What's the point of tie-in books like Brave and the Bold if kids don't even know they exist?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    she also drew the cutest Man-Thing

I demand to see this.

Please show me this.

ummm...give me a minute
    searching for man-thing directly causes database errors >_>

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I deleted some of them? Hmm, I'll post them back then.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    photobucket deletes images sometimes, it probably wasn't your fault

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's fixed.

Would never delete Coover's art, pfftttt.......

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanks guys, that was pretty awesome!

(Need more like that, please.)

Delduwath on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Grim123 knows how to lay on the shame thick.......

LOTS of pics incoming tonight.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    GIFT GET PART DEUX!!!

A recap from Part One IS HERE

So from this note I can guess who my Secret Superman really is!
    5283625457_485f59aec0_z.jpg

The note looks like ass because I was taking pictures of everything below and I went to put them on the computer when I realized there was no mem card in my camera.

So I had nice photos of the wrapped gifts and note all pretty like, but alas it wasn't meant to be.

This is the reason the above note looks kinda wrecked. :P

He lays the guilt on thick in that note doesn't he?

So what do we have first?
    FUCK YEAH! I have REALLY been wanting to read this so thank you very very much.
    5284224498_18285d8d17_z.jpg

Followed up by....
    I know nothing about this. But I really dig Iron Man and Noir type settings so I am looking forward to reading this tonight.
    5283627183_7b4d3a4814_z.jpg

And everything together.
    Galactus is pleased....
    5284226162_fe9b4596ec_z.jpg

And I must alleviate my guilt from Secret Spoiler. So here we go!

ARE YOU READY FOR THIS YEAR LATE POST?
    Let us begin shall we?
    5284238338_0de9dc7d59_z.jpg
    5283641381_397a70b7d8_z.jpg
    5283642351_e941e576cb_z.jpg
    OMG this book was so wonderful.
    5284242124_99224cd435_z.jpg
    5284243186_2897f1f852_z.jpg
    5284244308_1103dd5619_z.jpg
    5283647141_64d0cd0cee_z.jpg
    5284246136_9e604201cc_z.jpg
    5284241166_9368ed40f4_z.jpg
    5284247144_baf574ae74_z.jpg

TOYS!
    5284485826_617f9f0895_z.jpg
    5283898683_a87ccf65ca_z.jpg
    5284496598_df26ffdd6b_z.jpg

And last but certainly the most important part of this set is included below.
    5284237484_7b247a47f6_b.jpg

And a big ass bag of these.
    4294894894_1ba4d08429.jpg

The only thing I don't have a picture of is the toy samurai knight that you included because honestly I couldn't find it tonight when I was snapping pictures. Sorry :(

And anything else that I may have forgot from 2009 but I think I got it all.
    I was REALLY floored last year when I got this in the mail. It really was the highlight of a abysmal holiday season with the split/divorce/depression crap going on at that time.

I am so sorry I didn't get these up last year and I hope this makes up for it somewhat.

Grim123 is a awesome Secret Superman btw. I hope I get him for a third year in a row next year. ;)

All photos from Secret Spoiler 2009 ARE HERE.
    All photos from Secret Superman 2010 ARE HERE.

Edit: Oh jesus christ..... I SOOOO want to make these.
    image0005.jpg

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    wow finally so what did you think of the almonds?
    yes scarlet traces was awesome and theres a sequel which I still haven't gotten around to reading.

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    grim123 wrote: »
    wow finally so what did you think of the almonds?
    yes scarlet traces was awesome and theres a sequel which I still haven't gotten around to reading.

I wasn't sure at first because they were a bit of a shock.

Then I was really sad as I realized the bag was empty.

Everything was/is awesome bro. :)

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My fabulous loot, courtesy of Cardboard Delusion.

Photo6.jpg
    Batman: Animated

Photo4-1.jpg
    Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

Photo1-1.jpg
    and Brian Clevinger's take on the Infinity Gauntler.

If you've ever looked at Batman: Animated, you'll know that opening that book is like peering into the past. I took one look at the storyboards for "The Man Who Killed Batman," and all of a sudden I was transported back to childhood. To anyone who loved the '90s Batman series, this is essential reading.

And of course, Lex Luthor is one of the best psychological profiles of villain while Infinity Gauntlet is a riot.

All in all, this is a great gift. Kudos, cardboard.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is awesome

Also my parents said another box showed up and they'll be bringing both down tomorrow. I can't wait. Two boxes means you're already an awesome Superman!

edit: my dad said it's from Newbury Comics, which isn't a comic retailer so I'm twice as curious

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    you could say I'm bi-curious

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is awesome

Also my parents said another box showed up and they'll be bringing both down tomorrow. I can't wait. Two boxes means you're already an awesome Superman!

edit: my dad said it's from Newbury Comics, which isn't a comic retailer so I'm twice as curious

Actually, Newbury Comics does sell trades and floppies. Most of the floorspace is dedicated to music, dvds, and toys, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Looks like the package is finally on island. I don't think I'll be using this forwarding company anymore. It's been taking way to long to receive packages this year. I'm supposed to be getting them the day after they arrive in NJ. I seem to be getting them a week after they arrive there, now.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    All right, got my boxes from my parents

rrmwk9.jpg

Thanks, Nogs! It was exactly what I needed right now, too. I opened the package with the DVDs and saw Aquaman and started laughing and I was in a pretty bad mood so that's great. I can't wait to watch that and Super Friends

I've already read Doctor 13 but it was a friend's copy and so long ago and it's amazing so I'm glad I can read it again. And of course I can't wait to read The Outfit. I'm gonna have to reread The Hunter and then finally read The Man With the Getaway Face before I do it though

My favorite part of this gift was this IM exchange with Nogs

3:49:06 PM Keith: i had a dream that you PMed me to tell me that your secret superman gifts to me were delayed even though you posted that you sent them so now i know you're my secret superman
    3:49:07 PM Keith: fyi
    3:49:22 PM Nogs: hahah
    3:49:42 PM Nogs: you often have psychic dreams?

of course that PM never came but I totally called him being my Superman so I'm at least partially psychic! Now to win the lottery

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dude I knew you were onto me the moment you told me your superman and I didnt tell you mine.

I'm glad you like the stuff man. Merry Christmas and go party like you're da da da dumb

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    my body's going numb numb nu nu nu numb

thanks again and sorry i'm batman

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok I opened my other gifts.

Full list of presents from Witch_Hunter_84:

Punisher MAX Vol. 4 HC
    Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison Vol. 1
    Sin City Vol. 3
    Planetary Vol. 1-3

All in all it was the best Christmas ever Seriously, I'm so excited to read all of those. I can't wait to give some awesome stuff for Secret Sentry next year.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm glad I could contribute to a best Christmas Futt Bucker! I am currently waiting excitedly for the next batch of gift(s) that are arriving early Jan. It's like I'm getting two Christmases courtesy of Langly!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    According to FedEx, the present I sent has just been delivered!

I did say that it was OK not to get a signature, and according to the FedEx website, the package has been left at the front door. Now I'm starting to worry that some rascally gang of street toughs will sweep by and abscond with the package. I really hope this doesn't happen.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    According to FedEx, the present I sent has just been delivered!

I did say that it was OK not to get a signature, and according to the FedEx website, the package has been left at the front door. Now I'm starting to worry that some rascally gang of street toughs will sweep by and abscond with the package. I really hope this doesn't happen.

Worry not, Secret Superman, for my wife was at home and retrieved the package! Many, many thanks for the sweet comic loot which you bestowed upon me. You got me some stuff I've been wanting but have kinda pushed to the back of the queue in favor of some bargains or things like Scalped and Chew. I'm actually going out of town in about 5 minutes (wife and daughter are actually waiting for me to finish this post!), so I'll post the pics when I return on Sunday.

So everyone knows, though, Delduwath got me:

Won Ton Soup Vol. 1 (heard much praise of it but never thought to look into it. I'm looking forward to reading it on the plane)
    Atomic Robo Vols. 1 and 2 (Robo is awesome from the few comics I've read, so I'm all over this)
    Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite (I actually have the singles of this, but I've wanted to get the trade for a couple years now.)
    Phonogram: The Singles Club (been wanting to check out Gillen's non superhero work, and I heard good things about this one).

So yeah, Delduwath is all kinds of awesome. :D

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hooray! I'm glad that the package got to you OK, and that you like the books. I hope the food on the airplane will match the hunger created in you by Won Ton Soup.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A Space Trucker Opera! I just got vol 1 and 2 for xmas haha enjoy!

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Been off work for the passed couple of days here and haven't really been online. I received the package here on Xmas Eve. Texiken, you're awesome!

Texiken sent me the following awesome books:

Absolute All-Star Superman
    A Man Called Kev
    Mini Marvels Ultimate Collection
    Lucifer vol. 1
    Transmetropolitan vol. 4

I've read through all of AASS and now I kind of wish that I'd bothered to pick up the single issues when they came out. It's a pretty incredible story.

All of the Kev stories that I've read have been great fun. I wish that they'd make a new one.

Mini Marvels has been a fun read so far. Lots of funny little jokes and playful stories.

Transmet has been a great read so far. Again, another book that I wish I'd bothered to read in singles.

Lucifer is such a fantastic series. I had all of the trades before but let a friend borrow them. He never bothered to return them and I can't remember who it was so I'm finally buying them all back again. Thanks for getting me started off.

Merry Xmas!

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Glad you got the books! (seriously your forwarding company must be run by Bryan Hitch)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Glad you got the books! (seriously your forwarding company must be run by Bryan Hitch)

Yeah, I have two more packages coming in through them and then I'm dropping their services.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    not really related to Secret Supermans, but I just found/remembered that I bought the first two trades of Unwritten back in September and haven't read them yet

it's kind of like cleaning my apartment was my Secret Superman

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Amazon in the UK seem to be rather poo so I don't know if my Santee has recieved his stuff yet. Santee please do not despair! Things should definately be on their way to you right now!

Solar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Amazon in the UK seem to be rather poo so I don't know if my Santee has recieved his stuff yet. Santee please do not despair! Things should definately be on their way to you right now!

Amazon UK doesn't have tracking?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It does but sometimes it will say it's not available for reasons I cannot fathom.

Possibly the use of certain deliverers, thought I'm not sure

Solar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It does but sometimes it will say it's not available for reasons I cannot fathom.

"We cannot track your package because it is currently outside this plane of existence. Please try again later."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

"We cannot track your package because it is currently outside this plane of existence. Please try again later."

So it sounds like your package

8-)

is out of this world.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

So it sounds like your package

8-)

is out of this world.
    YEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Has everyone received their Secret Superman gifts this year?

Grifter on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I haven't actually sent mine out yet, so no. Haven't received one as yet either.

Wildcat on