As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Space Alert owns. Like, a lot.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    speaking of the CIA. I'm trying to get a trade going where I would get Cold War: CIA vs KGB which is similar to blackjack (As Battle Line is similar to poker) and also 1960. For some reason I always assumed 1960 was a lot like twilight struggle, but after looking into it more I think it could see some play time.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    also here is a Good Post from another forum about village and why it is garbage

That was good stuff. Another reason to work out exactly why Village is terrible and become enlightened is that Lab is +2 cards and +1 Action and costs 5.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also remember when Smallworld came out and there was a megathread concerning how sexist it was because the one female race in it was Amazons and they were chesty in tiny jungle clothes?

But I would think you couldn't accuse Small World of being sexist now that more females have been added to the game with expansions! The one expansion was even devoted entirely to more female races. So now there are quite a few female races to choose from that are chesty in tiny outfits...

Timmy on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I take back my earlier comments re: controversy in board games, supporting free speech; this game should be banned everywhere forever. Goddammit, Japan.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Didn't even need to click the link once I noticed you said Japan.

I can't help but wonder if someone in Japan found a tax loophole that would allow them to make a killing as long as they created a huge flop of a boardgame.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Any battle of westeros fans out there see the new announced expansion? I'm excited to see the deviation from Stark/Lannister into the secondary houses.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      Oh, hey.

If anyone's interested Amazon has Betrayal 2e for $19.99 right now.

Link.

Dunno how long it's going to go on for, though.

EDIT: Damn, they have BSG Exodus for $26, too. (Link.) Which is, according to FFG as of today, shipping to stores & distributors. woooooooooooooo!

PMAvers on
      persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      PMAvers wrote: »
      EDIT: Damn, they have BSG Exodus for $26, too. (Link.) Which is, according to FFG as of today, shipping to stores & distributors. woooooooooooooo!

lies >:[

scrivenerjones on
    • Options
      edited December 2010

lies >:[

What lies, that it's shipping?

Look at the Upcoming page. Green forklift for Exodus = shipping.

EDIT: Oh, shit, I see what happened, used the one link twice. The real Exodus link is here.

PMAvers on
      persona4celestia.jpg
    • Options
      Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      Oh, hey.

If anyone's interested Amazon has Betrayal 2e for $19.99 right now.

Link.

Dunno how long it's going to go on for, though.

I wish I could play this with 2 players. I really only get to play games with my wife.

Somewhat related, my wife just gave me my birthday gift - Arkham Horror!. I am a lucky guy.

Dr. Face on
      jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    • Options
      UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      I want to buy a mafia/werewolf game for larger parties. The three I'm looking at are:

The Village
      +
      New Moon Exp

OR

Mafia Underground

OR

Ultimate Werewolf

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Recommendations/warnings? Thanks for any help.

Ultarune on
    • Options
      edited December 2010
      I don't have any experience with these games, but I know that The Resistance is the new hotness in that genre

starmanbrand on
      camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      Seems cool, I like how it eliminates player elimination, but I just bought bang for my mediumish group size slot. I'm actually looking for a dozen+ player game.

Ultarune on
    • Options
      EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
      edited December 2010
      Bah, seems I can't get that 20 dollar Betrayal shipped here. Boooo!

Echo on
    • Options
      StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      edited December 2010
      So I played a Resident Evil themed Dominion clone.

It's actually more a fusion of Dominion and Munchkin, only with significantly less backstabbing. In fact, it's probably closer to Thunderstone, but I haven't played that so I feel uncertain in making such a comment.

Sterica on
      YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      Rorus Raz wrote: »
      So I played a Resident Evil themed Dominion clone.

It's actually more a fusion of Dominion and Munchkin, only with significantly less backstabbing. In fact, it's probably closer to Thunderstone, but I haven't played that so I feel uncertain in making such a comment.

The Resident Evil Deck building game is Thunderstone without all the problems of Thunderstone. My group calls it Thunderstone 1.5 jokingly. It's a fun game. Not quite as elegant as Dominion, and definitely doesn't have the card variation of Dominion, but in terms of building a deck and fighting a monster, I think it's much much better than Thunderstone. Plus, for $30, it's pretty cheap.

Hopefully they continue to support it and release new cards..

jabrams007 on
    • Options
      edited December 2010
      What are the problems of thunderstone?

starmanbrand on
      camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      What are the problems of thunderstone?

1. The rules are horrible and unclear. How long has the game been out and they're already up to version 1.4? (Maybe the rules suffer in comparison to Dominion which has perfect rules)

2. Game length. Thunderstone seems to just drag on and on. The whole mechanic of "light" and adding and subtracting is overly complex and cumbersome. Resident Evil fixes this with "ammo." You need X amount of ammo to shoot your gun. If you have X+, you're good, if not, you can't shoot.

3. No real risk of losing a battle.

4. The mechanics are overly complex and cumbersome. (see above).

5. The randomness of the monsters can severely impact the "fun-factor" of the game. Get a bad batch of early monsters and the game just bogs down.

6. The symbols on the cards are hard to read, understand, and are sometimes counter-intuitive. The design on Thunderstone just phones it in, and throws all that data on the card without meaningful symbology to indicate what's what. About the only two things that don't suck on these cards is light level provided, and gold provided. This means that as a player, you essentially have to memorize what each location means and go from there and that sucks, they could have done much better.

Maybe the expansion fixes these problems, but I, and my gaming group, just find ourselves getting frustrated with this game a lot. We want the simplicity and elegance of Dominion with the thematic tie-in of Thunderstone. Resident Evil solves this problem.

Just my .02 though...

jabrams007 on
    • Options
      edited December 2010
      And I still think the people complaining about the rules are nutter, havn't had a problem with them.

*shrugs*

PMAvers on
      persona4celestia.jpg
    • Options
      RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      I never liked thunderstone as much as Dominion (it's more luck based than dominion and still takes as long) but now that Ascension is out there really is no reason to ever play Thunderstone again (though I'd still prefer Dominion + expansions usually). They did such a better job with the same general concept.

RiemannLives on
      Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    • Options
      edited December 2010
      Also, I've got to try several new games lately (local game shop has an excellent wednesday night open gaming and provides store copies of most everything) and here are some ramblings:

2038: It's a very hard to come by 18xx game (train building + stock manipulation series). I'll preface this by saying I love 18xx games and 1870 is probably the best board game I have ever played (right behind Dune). That said, 2038 is terrible. It's "18xx without knives". They kept the long playtime and sometimes tedious mechanics and tried to make the game friendlier by taking out any and all means to screw over other players (trashing stock, dumping companies, blocking routes etc...). While this might make the game seem less "mean" to a newb the result is that there is basicially no way to close even a small gap in score. The game is pretty much determined about 1/5th of the way in but you still have to grind to the inevitable conclusion.

Pheonica: Out of the 5 people who played I liked this the best and would rate it as "meh, not bad". It's almost exactly like Sceptor of Savandor but not as good so I doubt it will see the light of day again. There are real problems with card design (way too many houses) and there isn't a single building in the game you need to "save up" for (even the largest can be bought with 1 turn of income by the time you are that late in the game).

Merkator: Another "meh, not bad" game. The main problem is that the winner of the game will be the one that has a good synergy going between their goods / cards and their bonus victory point cards. However, you have no idea which cards you'll have a shot at during most of the game while you are setting up for position so it's mostly luck of the draw who stumbles into cards which match what they areadly (blindly) happened to do.

RiemannLives on
      Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    • Options
      edited December 2010
      re: the "controversy" discussion on the last page:

Name a single historical period ever (including the present) that would provide a setting that meets the modern standards for racism, sexism etc...

Seriously, even if taken literally Peurto Rico is pretty politicially correct by the standards of human history.

RiemannLives on
      Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    • Options
      SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
      edited December 2010
      So, a buddy of mine and I have slowly been getting into the board game scene over the past six months... picked up Dominion Intrigue this week. I enjoy it a lot, but it seems that it's pretty hands off from interaction. Are we just not getting very interactive sets when we randomize? Also, how much does the game change when you bump it up to three or four players?

I'm also pretty sure that I'm receiving Pandemic for Christmas. Extremely excited about that. I really feel elementary compared to some of the games that you guys are mentioning - again, all we have so far are the big names - Catan, Ticket, Carc...

SkyTurnsRed on
    • Options
      Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      So, a buddy of mine and I have slowly been getting into the board game scene over the past six months... picked up Dominion Intrigue this week. I enjoy it a lot, but it seems that it's pretty hands off from interaction. Are we just not getting very interactive sets when we randomize? Also, how much does the game change when you bump it up to three or four players?

I'm also pretty sure that I'm receiving Pandemic for Christmas. Extremely excited about that. I really feel elementary compared to some of the games that you guys are mentioning - again, all we have so far are the big names - Catan, Ticket, Carc...

Playing a random game isn't a good way to play Dominion if you specifically want interaction as depending on your card pool you could end up with many games with few to no interactive cards. I'd say to specifically choose the set of cards, or choose a few interactive cards and random the rest, to produce the interactive game you want.

Dr. Face on
      jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    • Options
      SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
      edited December 2010
      Dr. Face wrote: »

Playing a random game isn't a good way to play Dominion if you specifically want interaction as depending on your card pool you could end up with many games with few to no interactive cards. I'd say to specifically choose the set of cards, or choose a few interactive cards and random the rest, to produce the interactive game you want.

We have been playing random just to get a feel of what cards can do what. We're slowly starting to develop some basic strategies though, starting to get better at learning how to link the most actions possible together, etc.

SkyTurnsRed on
    • Options
      jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
      edited December 2010

Name a single historical period ever (including the present) that would provide a setting that meets the modern standards for racism, sexism etc...

Seriously, even if taken literally Peurto Rico is pretty politicially correct by the standards of human history.

Yeah, also this. I was going to add something in my post about what dicks the Romans generally were. Slavery, bloodsports, racism, imperialism etc. But no one complains about Civilization/Republic of Rome/Hannibal.

jakobagger on
    • Options
      edited December 2010
      jakobagger wrote: »

Yeah, also this. I was going to add something in my post about what dicks the Romans generally were. Slavery, bloodsports, racism, imperialism etc. But no one complains about Civilization/Republic of Rome/Hannibal.

"if everything is racist, then nothing is!!" is not really a good argument, sorry pal.

anyway I am at the airport, my flight is delayed an hour and a half, and I am Mean Drunk. who wants to play dominion.

scrivenerjones on
    • Options
      jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      Has anyone played/liked Game of Thrones? I'm thinking of picking it up and I wonder if any expansions are deemed necessary.

jackisreal on
    • Options
      SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      Always liked AGoT-bidding and the inevitable waiting for mustering to be drawn always provides lots of tension-more fun if you've read the books but in no way necessary-can suck for some players that get picked on/wildling attacked and don't have a good chance of getting back in the game but still have 1-2 hrs left-the clash of kings expansion is only really necessary if you want/need a 6th player-one rule from it is the addition of ports-which is now considered necessary in the base game anyway-but you can just add the rule, don't need the expansion

SeGaTai on
      PSN SeGaTai
    • Options
      DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
      edited December 2010
      I'll echo what he said, I guess. Quite a run on sentence there, though.

Also, if you want to see how the game flows, you can check out our PbP games of it, linked from the PbP Gaming Index.

Darian on
    • Options
      edited December 2010
      A Game of Thrones is great. Don't know about expansions, except the harbour rules which are apparently necessary to repair the base game, and the extra house Martell which is fine I guess, if you don't lose all your troops to wildlings, Darian.

It's extra fun if you've read the books, but even without it's a great game. Fantasy Diplomacy ++.

jakobagger on
    • Options
      Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
      edited December 2010
      I've just come to the realisation that my sole purpose in life should be to construct a Dominion deck consisting soley of 2 King's Courts and 3 Monuments.

Alistair Hutton on
      I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    • Options
      EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
      edited December 2010
      SeGaTai wrote: »
      Always liked AGoT-bidding and the inevitable waiting for mustering to be drawn always provides lots of tension-more fun if you've read the books but in no way necessary-can suck for some players that get picked on/wildling attacked and don't have a good chance of getting back in the game but still have 1-2 hrs left-the clash of kings expansion is only really necessary if you want/need a 6th player-one rule from it is the addition of ports-which is now considered necessary in the base game anyway-but you can just add the rule, don't need the expansion
      20021011h.gif

In other news, I know someone posted Cally's character card for the BSG: Exodus expansion already, but has everyone seen the others?

Endaro on
    • Options
      edited December 2010
      jakobagger wrote: »
      A Game of Thrones is great. Don't know about expansions, except the harbour rules which are apparently necessary to repair the base game, and the extra house Martell which is fine I guess, if you don't lose all your troops to wildlings, Darian.

It's extra fun if you've read the books, but even without it's a great game. Fantasy Diplomacy ++.

This is a favourite of my group. After trying lots of the expansion pieces we've come to a equilibrium on the Storm of Sword leader cards (clash of kings get out of control), Ports, NON-unique one time orders only, wildling cards, and the newer event cards ( I, II, III). fortifications and sieges seemed out of place, and the unique one time orders just seemed weird.

TimFiji on
      • Options
        edited December 2010
        welp I just played a game of TS where I was crushing as the USSR until the US headlined Bear Trap and it took all but one of my cards. all I had left was CIA Created. at DEFCON 2. nice.

scrivenerjones on
      • Options
        tofutofu Registered User regular
        edited December 2010
        Twilight Struggle is so good, I need to find some more people to play it with

tofu on
      • Options
        Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
        edited December 2010
        tofu wrote: »
        Twilight Struggle is so good, I need to find some more people to play it with

It's back in print at any rate. I received the deluxe edition (which is gorgeous) for Christmas.

Red or Alive on
      • Options
        edited December 2010
        Twilight Imperium and Arkham Horror for christmas... ARGH want to play now!

TimFiji on
        • Options
          edited December 2010
          How is TI with 3 or 4 players because my full group of 5/6 only meets once per month but can probably do 3/4 easily anytime.

TimFiji on
          • Options
            DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
            edited December 2010
            Gives a balanced galaxy set up (in the sense that all starting positions are equivalent), so it works fine. With 3p, you have to be careful about battling - any battle will likely cause the two players involved to both lose ships, weakening them in comparison to the third player, but the base game doesn't reward battling much, anyway (few of the base objectives require offensive action).

It's best with 6, but fine with 3 or 4.

Darian on
          This discussion has been closed.