As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blight of the Immortals]

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Annihilation

Yeah, I'm barely holding on in the middle; haven't been able to mount any sort of attack yet.

edit: Oh, hey, my first look at Zombie Wizards!
    Chaos Storms

Fierce storms of lightning and thunder follow the wizards, striking randomly at armies within 6 hours march. Reports indicate that up to 5% of an armies strength can be lost as a result of being the target of on of these chaotic storms. At the very least, one point of strength will be lost for each undead wizard wrestling for control of their power.

Recharge: 36 Hours
    Cost: 2 Blue Coins

That "at the very least" and "up to 5%" seem as though they'd be bumping up against each other vs. small armies. If the "up to 5%" is a hard max, then my dwarfs might be fairly safe from it. On the other hand, if the "at the very least" is a hard minimum, then it wouldn't take many of those wizards to wipe out a team of dwarfs.

Darian on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Annihilation

Yeah, I'm barely holding on in the middle; haven't been able to mount any sort of attack yet.

edit: Oh, hey, my first look at Zombie Wizards!
    Chaos Storms

Fierce storms of lightning and thunder follow the wizards, striking randomly at armies within 6 hours march. Reports indicate that up to 5% of an armies strength can be lost as a result of being the target of on of these chaotic storms. At the very least, one point of strength will be lost for each undead wizard wrestling for control of their power.

Recharge: 36 Hours
    Cost: 2 Blue Coins

That "at the very least" and "up to 5%" seem as though they'd be bumping up against each other vs. small armies. If the "up to 5%" is a hard max, then my dwarfs might be fairly safe from it. On the other hand, if the "at the very least" is a hard minimum, then it wouldn't take many of those wizards to wipe out a team of dwarfs.

I am pretty sure it is the latter. So yes, five wizards would be enough to kill a basic dwarf army, you might want to invest in your counterattack against that city.

I have great hopes for my goblin counterattack, it seems as though I will be able to clear many of the infected cities around me within a day or two.

Vic on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Some interesting things:

Shamans deal at least 1 damage per Shaman. So, if you've got an army of 5 dwarves behind massive fortifications, 5 Shamans will kill all 5 of them rather than 50% of them.

Holy Light from Enchantresses also effects units that are near the targeted city. I just used it on a location, and a zombie army that was 2 hours away turned around and started heading back the way it came, but an army 11 hours away kept on it's course.

Which means I am totally going to use my Enchantresses to bounce this 118-strong zombie army back and forth on this road until it bleeds out all it's strength.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited December 2010
    I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try city flipping, as follows: Player A saves up several tax rolls and puts a merchant in a level 4 market city of player B whose color they can use (using the merchant normally for trading). Then, by agreement, that city's owner gifts the city to player A, who uses all their tax rolls and immediately gifts the city back. With their next envoy they could even ship back some of the coins they got as payment. Would that be worth it, or too much trouble to coordinate (not to mention delaying the tax rolls)?

In other news, it looks like Penny Arcadia is wrapping up. Zombie problem: handled.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish you could merge or separate armies

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish you could merge or separate armies

I'm pretty sure you can merge them. I know I've seen a 'merge' button. Never pressed it, but I assume that's what it's for.

Tiger Burning on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try city flipping, as follows: Player A saves up several tax rolls and puts a merchant in a level 4 market city of player B whose color they can use (using the merchant normally for trading). Then, by agreement, that city's owner gifts the city to player A, who uses all their tax rolls and immediately gifts the city back. With their next envoy they could even ship back some of the coins they got as payment. Would that be worth it, or too much trouble to coordinate (not to mention delaying the tax rolls)?

In other news, it looks like Penny Arcadia is wrapping up. Zombie problem: handled.

Handled? I had a very weird view of this game. There were zombies coming every which way, and now suddenly they're all gone. I'm still going to lose Shadylock, but I'll take that bitch right back.

edit: Not only can you merge armies, but you can merge with allied armies too. I assume that gives them control of the new larger army.

PolloDiablo on
    edited December 2010
    Merge is indeed available; too many of the abilities would be broken if they allowed armies to split.

Darian on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    pretty sure you take it with no losses

Darn, would have been good to know from the outset.

Oh well, live and learn / get eaten by zombies.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so how does the elven hunting ability work? x% damage where x is the number of original elves means you need 50 elves to half destroy an army and 100 elves to destroy a unit? that seems a bit crap

valiance on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Paradiso wrote: »
    Dead Men Walking

The western front is looking, ah, interesting. I'm fairly confident I can hold onto my lands, but it'll be a while before I can mount a significant cyclopean army to push back.

Kedinik, I'll send over what purples I have once my messenger respawns.

Thanks again for the reds you've already sent; it's certainly a zombie-filled frontier.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Annihilation

You know, when I look at the map I can't help but think we've got the little zombie bastards right where we want em.

They're surrounded!

Perhaps I'm just optimistic because I'm finishing up my first ten strength zombie burning shaman army.

Before long I should be able to put a stop to the zombie orc menace.

Zombie orcs suck. That base 3 die roll is murder.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    valiance wrote: »
    so how does the elven hunting ability work? x% damage where x is the number of original elves means you need 50 elves to half destroy an army and 100 elves to destroy a unit? that seems a bit crap

But the cost is only 2 strength and 1 green with a 22 hour cooldown. Being able to take 20% off a 90 str troll unit while your ents march at it is pretty handy. You can easily hunt and reinforce that unit while your main army marches toward the target.

I look at it as a way of trimming down on your casualties ahead of the fight.

Paradiso on
    edited December 2010
    Paradiso wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »

But the cost is only 2 strength and 1 green with a 22 hour cooldown. Being able to take 20% off a 90 str troll unit while your ents march at it is pretty handy. You can easily hunt and reinforce that unit while your main army marches toward the target.

I look at it as a way of trimming down on your casualties ahead of the fight.

yeah i guess its great when youre talking large numbers, but in small battles you barely break even

valiance on
  • Bro Chi MinhBro Chi Minh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zombie Orcs are the spawn of the fucking devil.

Going to lose a settlement to the fuckers if some kind soul doesn't lend me some Orange.

Bro Chi Minh on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dude, you need orange? I gots plenty o' that.

immortal squish on
    <3
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My easy game is wrapping up nicely, I can't wait to try this on hard or on another map :D

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    edited December 2010
    My easy game is wrapping up nicely, I can't wait to try this on hard or on another map :D

im losing my first game as northwest men (blue) in honor, but no chance of falling to zombies

winning my second game in honor handily as northeast goblins (orange). have a lvl 11 hobgoblin army that rolls face.

started my 3rd game as southern elves (dark green) after the difficullty change and the zombies are noticabley more aggresive and dangerous so the game is noticeably more fun. it was kinda boring in the first 2. it doesnt help that I made some big mistakes with my first few moves...

my 4th game is my first normal difficulty. im again the northeast goblins (orange). http://blight.ironhelmet.com/game/3256712

surprised theres no official forum for this. how do they get beta feedback?

valiance on
    edited December 2010
    Dude, you need orange? I gots plenty o' that.

Thanks for the help, Squish, I'd already gotten the seven coins I needed from Tiger but your contribution let me get some additional reinforcements and upgrade some markets.

I'll gift you those three towns in the morning, they're too far from the front to be useful to me anyway.

Also, STOP FUCKING ONE-UPPING ME, Musan.

Every time I think I'm about to take the lead you've jumped like 50 points. :x

Bro Chi Minh on
    edited December 2010
    Dead Men Walking

Man, you guys are kicking my ASS in score. I am hoping my concentration on economy will pay off before the game ends.

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sodor

Those zombie trees are goddamn scary

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited December 2010
    Dead Men Walking

So, Paradiso, I seem to have made a tiny miscalculation re: Ogrepond and, uh, sorry.

Tiger Burning on
    edited December 2010
    Dead Men Walking

Uh, I might need some help if I'm going to keep Iron Trunk Fort.

Basically my only option is to raise an army there but since it's an Ent settlement that's going to be fucking expensive.

I'll see how much I'm missing after taxes, I guess.

You enjoying those new cities, Squish?

Bro Chi Minh on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone starting a new game soon? Mine is almost done as soon as we wipe the last city of zombies off the map

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Joined 2 Pub games and much enjoying the game so far. Glad to hear that the horde gets a little more aggressive at higher difficulty, on Easy they just kind of... sit there.

Has anyone come up with a general strategy to the game yet? All I've discovered is to conquer and build-up markets early on then hope for the best. I've held off on engaging zombies early on, but that might just be a side-effect of playing on easy and them leaving me alone.

BirdsWay on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    BirdsWay wrote: »
    Joined 2 Pub games and much enjoying the game so far. Glad to hear that the horde gets a little more aggressive at higher difficulty, on Easy they just kind of... sit there.

Has anyone come up with a general strategy to the game yet? All I've discovered is to conquer and build-up markets early on then hope for the best. I've held off on engaging zombies early on, but that might just be a side-effect of playing on easy and them leaving me alone.

So far it seems to me that every faction except possible the dwarves and elves of the north should try to abuse the Orcs special ability, because it is imbalanced as hell.

Examples:

1: Get some merchant armies and an orc army, use war chant and move them to your richest province, give this province to an ally and then start using the merchants special ability. With 30 orcs, a level four market and two merchant armies that gives you 16x2x4=128 coins per 22 hours of the provinces color.

2: Use war chant on shamans or wizards. Using them on shamans a mere 20 orcs will make them large enough to instantly kill any undead army. The wizards are much less potent, but 20 wizards are still a force to be reckoned with.

3: Gather one big army of orcs and then gather as many shitty armies as possible around to get boosted up. This works particularly well with goblins and in combination with the hobgoblin special ability, abusing this I managed to get around 400 troops practically for free a couple of days into the Annihilation game.

Vic on
    edited December 2010
    Dead Men Walking

Uh, I might need some help if I'm going to keep Iron Trunk Fort.

Basically my only option is to raise an army there but since it's an Ent settlement that's going to be fucking expensive.

I'll see how much I'm missing after taxes, I guess.

You enjoying those new cities, Squish?

Why yes indeed I am! My cyclops dudes are loving the reenforcements, and are already proving their worth by freezing a rather scary zombie army on the road so I could move my asskickers into position to intercept.

Just happy I don't have those mega huge troll armadas over by me ;)

immortal squish on
    <3
    edited December 2010
    I'll fight them tooth and nail, but, um, that's a lotta trolls.

Paradiso on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Annihilation

May not be able to restart until tomorrow afternoon, my apologies.

Imperfect on
    edited December 2010
    Damn, Things are heating up.

Already fought 4 defensive and 3 offensive battles today and I've got another 6 attacking armies hitting me within the next 18 hours.

<3 My level 8 Troll army.

Bro Chi Minh on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Annihilation

May not be able to restart until tomorrow afternoon, my apologies.

It's okay, we still love you.

:winky:
    <3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    So far it seems to me that every faction except possible the dwarves

Dwarven Strategy

Step 1) Build fortifications

Step 2) Die as slowly as possible

Step 3) Repeat until dead

Paradiso on
    edited December 2010
    Zombie dwarves are the biggest bullshit.

Do you have level 4 walls that took 72 hours to build? Not anymore!

Paradiso on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Annihilation

This is your warning: I'm on my way home and will start the game back up in a couple hours.

BE PREPARED.

Imperfect on
  • MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One thing I noticed: how can a circle of wizards be made up two strength?

Musan on
    edited December 2010
    One stands on each side; you can put candles in the other positions.

Darian on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MAGIC!!!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, that was a gyp. My level 4 dwarves lost to level one humans by one. What made it more preposterous was that the zombies rolled a 6 and should've had one deducted, but did not. My 4 dice rolls added up to 6. Also, I should've had level 2 fortifications up just in time, but apparently it did not count. Game still has some bugs.

Musan on
    edited December 2010
    Musan wrote: »
    Well, that was a gyp. My level 4 dwarves lost to level one humans by one. What made it more preposterous was that the zombies rolled a 6 and should've had one deducted, but did not. My 4 dice rolls added up to 6. Also, I should've had level 2 fortifications up just in time, but apparently it did not count. Game still has some bugs.

I think that you have to be in fortifications for 1 hour before you get the bonus. I think I read that somewhere.

Penny Arcadia: Op success. Good job Virgil.

Isle of Sodor: Just mopping up. Zombies are are down to just a handful of cities. stopgap has the lead, but glin is in position to steal victory. Gonna be close.

Dead Men Walking: Zombie trolls grow fast. Hard is definitely the way to go.

Tiger Burning on
    edited December 2010
    You should see the Ent blob I've got growing scarily close to some of my largest cities, it's up to 201 now and it seems like it's growing by 10 or more every other hour.

BTW, is there a max level for armies? I've got a Troll one at 10 right now.

Bro Chi Minh on