As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3DS preorderable at US Gamestops

ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
US Gamestops have started taking preorders on the 3DS today.

$50 deposit. No color or set price yet, will likely be revealed in the January 19th conference. They're not putting a limit on the number of preorders (yet) but it'll be first come first serve. For example if they only recieve 9 and you were the 11th person to preorder you would not be receiving a 3DS from the first shipment.

Zerokku on

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Interesting, I was really excited for the 3DS. Then I realised I barely travel and I don't leave my house (Except for sports and appointments) too much. I only use my DSI for it's web browser at night for webcomics and the forums. I'm sure it'll be a great portable console, but I don't see myself getting it.

Kadoken on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Interesting, I was really excited for the 3DS. Then I realised I barely travel and I don't leave my house (Except for sports and appointments) too much. I only use my DSI for it's web browser at night for webcomics and the forums. I'm sure it'll be a great portable console, but I don't see myself getting it.

95% of my DS use is at home personally, the games are good and thats what matters.

Zerokku on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Usual Gamestop shenanigans I suppose (can you issue pre-orders even before a final US price is announced? has it been announced? what if someone whats to pay off the whole thing?).

Synthesis on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Usual Gamestop shenanigans I suppose (can you issue pre-orders even before a final US price is announced? has it been announced? what if someone whats to pay off the whole thing?).

The price is currently set at a placeholder of $999.99, the most I've seen people pay (from comments on GAF) is $250, which is the current estimated price for the states.

No price, colors, or anything will be announced before the conference on January 19th.

Zerokku on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So would you guys advise me to go ahead and preorder with Gamestop, ahead of the Jan. 19 conference? I'm not too familiar with preorder practices, but I really want to insure I get one of these on release day.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Awfully tempted to get this thing day one, but I've got so many DS games in my backlog I think I'll likely wait for the first price drop.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Laying money down for something we don't know the full price of or even the launch lineup of sounds like madness to me.

Darlan on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmm. Guess I know what I'm doing with my Christmas money.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Laying money down for something we don't know the full price of or even the launch lineup of sounds like madness to me.

Unless your intent is to pay the whole thing off at once, why? The system is going to be more than $50, and we know what's coming out in the "launch window" as it were.

Laying $50 down now just ensures that you get one on release day. If you have a change of heart, or decide the launch line-up sucks, it's not like your money is lost.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darlan wrote: »

If there's any chance at all that you'd like to have on on launch day, NOT putting down money on it is madness.

You can always cancel your order and get your money back if you decide you don't want it, or if you can't afford it. If you don't pre-order, and then you decide you do want it, then after all the units are reserved your only choice will be to camp out at a midnight launch, and still risk not getting one at all.

mntorankusu on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh hell yes. I don't think I've looked forward to a console release as much as this, aside from maybe the original Playstation. $50 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that I may get my eager hands on it that much easier.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Loaning any company $50, interest-free, is something I don't do. I'll just go to the Wal-Mart in the middle of nowhere like I did on Wii launch day.

HtR-Laser on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was excited about this when it was announced until I realized that I just can't get into portable gaming no matter what

But I'm still excited for the technology

Glasses-less 3D is pretty awesome

UnbreakableVow on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I finally came to terms with the fact that I will pay $250 (or $280 as I know it will be in Canada) to get one ASAP after I counted how many DS games I have.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I... what? Are we pre-ordering straight from the Japanese? This seems silly.

Henroid on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This might be the first time I don't get a nintendo console at launch. I love my DS, but I've been using it less and less the last couple years. I got a PSP, but I felt pretty bad about it. The cost was so high, the games have been few and far between, and the original one was a little too clunky to actively use as a media player.

Honestly, I won't pay more than $150 for a hand-held, and this is looking to be $250-$200. The Wii was good at $250, but I really can't justify a portable at that price.

HadjiQuest on
    edited December 2010
    $200 is probably rather overly optimistic at this point.

Granted, a few months ago, people were still hoping for $180, and believed it might happen.
    Laying $50 down now just ensures that you get one on release day. If you have a change of heart, or decide the launch line-up sucks, it's not like your money is lost.

As already pointed out, not really (but it does guarantee you will be getting one at Gamestop. Eventually.), but it does increase your chances as far as first-come, first-serve goes.

Synthesis on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    $200 is probably rather overly optimistic at this point.

Granted, a few months ago, people were still hoping for $180, and believed it might happen.

As already pointed out, not really (but it does guarantee you will be getting one at Gamestop. Eventually.), but it does increase your chances as far as first-come, first-serve goes.

Honestly, if they can't bring it down to 200$ I'm not even interested then. That's just too much cash.

I reserve the right to change my opinion after seeing this in action in person. The videos just don't do it justice.

Viscountalpha on
    edited December 2010
    Same here. I'm not convinced that the 3D will work sufficiently well for me (due to my rather strong astigmatism), and won't be until I actually see Solid Snake or whomever reach out towards me.

Synthesis on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, $250+ is kind of a lot. I think I might p-

legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3ds-screenshot.jpg

-ick this fucking system up day 1.

I'm an easy sell/what's ruining the game industry.

Graviija on
    edited December 2010
    I couldn't resist...
    215551739_g2Hwf-L-2.jpg

To be fair, if Beyond Good and Evil 2 somehow became a 3DS exclusive, I'd scrounge up $200 (and maybe $250) myself, 3D be damned.

Synthesis on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't see how ocarina of time is a system seller at this point

hasn't, like, everyone played that game?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm probably the last person that hasn't played that game.

Viscountalpha on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yes.

And I'll buy every version Nintendo ever releases. Though to be fair to me, this one actually has some, like, improvements.

Graviija on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, I have that shit on Virtual Console.

And my roommate has it in his N64, and we beat it together over the summer.

Give me skyward sword, damnit! Let me play a new Zelda on my $250 console rather than an old one on a $250 handheld.

HadjiQuest on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You guys go ahead and wait for OoT. I just want my portable, 3d Starfox 64.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just pre-ordered it. I was about the 5th or 6th one to do it, even though I was first on the pre-pre-order list and was supposed to be called the second it was available for pre-order. Oh and I'll be getting OoT for it, because not everybody on the planet had an N64, some people bought Playstations instead. *shock* So no I never played it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I only managed to play OoT at a friend's place a few times because I was a kid and thus was poor.

I'm hoping the 3DS launches in Australia in a similar window, didn't we get the DS before the US?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Preordered two. One for me, one for the girlfriend. It's $100 that i can get back if I get it elsewhere.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Graviija wrote: »

Yes.

And I'll buy every version Nintendo ever releases. Though to be fair to me, this one actually has some, like, improvements.

Like actual textures and a controller that doesn't blow?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm sold on it for one reason - I wear glasses, and HATE contacts. 3D movies are a pain in the ass for me because I have to wear stupid plastic glasses over my own. The idea of actually enjoying 3D gaming without some stupid extra eyewear is very exciting for me.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was sold on it the moment I put my hands on it, 5 minutes later I was double sold on it. An hour after that triple sold. This thing is going to be fuckall awesome.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll get one eventually, but my days of early adoption are over. Really excited about it, more than any system in years, but for that much, I'll be waiting.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FFFF

Not going to be back home for half a week, which probably makes it exceedingly unlikely that I'll be able to get in for the first shipments, :(

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    FFFF

Not going to be back home for half a week, which probably makes it exceedingly unlikely that I'll be able to get in for the first shipments, :(

If the folks at your local GS know you well enough, and you have some other pre-orders on deck, you could just call them up, give them your info, and have them shift your pre-orders around.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2010
    Nope, generally don't pre-order at GS because new releases are always cheaper elsewhere between $10 bonus credits and fry's usually giving a couple percent off.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Seems weird people are putting down $250 when it could potentially be less. $250 was just the conversion from yen to dollars, right? Games are typically cheaper than they are in Japan.

JJ on
    edited December 2010
    Nope the conversion was closer to 300 USD. 250 was an extrapolation based on that being the conversion that nintendo used in the past, for the wii which had the exact same yen cost

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I'll preorder this tomorrow; living in a college town might pay off, seeing as how everyone will still be away for the holidays.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    my first oot experience will be in 3D

that's right bitches

Jars on