As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3DS preorderable at US Gamestops

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't see how ocarina of time is a system seller at this point

hasn't, like, everyone played that game?

I'm probably the last person that hasn't played that game.

I played it, got stuck at the Gerudo Temple, never finished it.

Edit: Which is fucking crazy because I finished Phantom Hourglass for pete's sake.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've never finished OoT; only got past the first couple of dungeons.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    my first oot experience will be in 3D

that's right bitches

Congratulations

You're like eight years old

UnbreakableVow on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I'll preorder this tomorrow; living in a college town might pay off, seeing as how everyone will still be away for the holidays.

You know, I hadn't considered that (I'm in Athens, GA).

Plus, it snowed a little bit, and everyone freaks out when it snows. This might be an interesting opportunity...

Synthesis on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

that's right bitches

Congratulations

Actually mine too - I tried playing it once on a copy of the Zelda bonus disc on the Gamecube but I only played about 10 minutes into it before switching off to Windwaker. I never had an N64 or a reason to go back and pick up one. I'm 33...

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited December 2010
    Well

I suppose there is no good reason to go back to OoT after Wind Waker

I'll allow it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Putting Ocarina of Time ringtones on my new phone has really gotten excited for the 3DS version.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ugh. I really don't want to preorder at a Gamestop, although it worked out ok when I got a Wii. I guess I'll swing by and see how many preorders are ahead of me. Otherwise I might try Amazon when they start.

As for OoT, it's worth getting over and over because it's that good. There hasn't been a better Zelda since. And f*ck Windwaker. It didn't have nearly enough dungeons. That's the Zelda equivalent of not being able to get it up. For all the shit Twilight Princess gets, at least it came ready to party.
    Putting Ocarina of Time ringtones on my new phone has really gotten excited for the 3DS version.

I have Saria's song ID'd for my mom and Gerudo Valley for my sis. I really need to get Ganon's theme for my dad. :)

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This looks really cool and all but I just don't know. I haven't turned my DS on in fucking forever, and it's been even longer since I bought any games for it.

edit: also, if I ever did get one, I sure as hell wouldn't pre-order at Gamestop. Fuck them.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2010
    Ugh. I really don't want to preorder at a Gamestop, although it worked out ok when I got a Wii. I guess I'll swing by and see how many preorders are ahead of me. Otherwise I might try Amazon when they start.

As for OoT, it's worth getting over and over because it's that good. There hasn't been a better Zelda since. And f*ck Windwaker. It didn't have nearly enough dungeons. That's the Zelda equivalent of not being able to get it up. For all the shit Twilight Princess gets, at least it came ready to party.

I have Saria's song ID'd for my mom and Gerudo Valley for my sis. I really need to get Ganon's theme for my dad. :)

But the dungeons it had were all awesome, whereas the only cool dungeons in TP were the mansion and Water Temple

Quality > Quantity

And finding the Triforce was kick-ass, fuck the bitch-ass haters in the rectum who couldn't handle it

UnbreakableVow on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

that's right bitches

Congratulations

or I never had an N64

and now I'm gonna be playing oot in 3D because of it. what's up noooooow

Jars on
    edited December 2010
    Not an excuse

It was also on the GameCube

And if you ever had a Wii, it was on VC and GameCube

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010

But the dungeons it had were all awesome, whereas the only cool dungeons in TP were the mansion and Water Temple

Quality > Quantity

And finding the Triforce was kick-ass, fuck the bitch-ass haters in the rectum who couldn't handle it

Quality comes down to opinion. However, it's a fact that WW had less. :wink:

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A few people are saying fuck pre-ordering at GameStop, the only reason I'm doing it is because I just know they are going to have some ultra good trade in deal where they will give you around 100 bucks towards the 3DS when you trade in your newer DSL or DSi. I actually got 100 bucks for my DSL when I traded it in towards a DSi.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    This looks really cool and all but I just don't know. I haven't turned my DS on in fucking forever, and it's been even longer since I bought any games for it.

It's a brand new system. Of course the older system is going to have a slowed rate of games towards the end of it's life.

That said, did anybody else have any difficulty placing a preorder today? I stopped by my Gamestop after work tonight, and the guys there didn't have a fucking clue what I was talking about. They even searched their system, and they didn't have a listing for the 3DS to place the preorder.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Slow rate of games? I suppose if you aren't into RPGs or puzzle games you could say the DS has been slow lately.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's a brand new system. Of course the older system is going to have a slowed rate of games towards the end of it's life.

That said, did anybody else have any difficulty placing a preorder today? I stopped by my Gamestop after work tonight, and the guys there didn't have a fucking clue what I was talking about. They even searched their system, and they didn't have a listing for the 3DS to place the preorder.

When I went in this morning the guy didn't know about it either, but literally 10 seconds of searching and he found the entry in the system.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited December 2010
    I've been playing my DS more than ever. DQIX, Layton 3, and Super Scribblenauts have all been keeping me busy. It's my Wii that, as they say, has been collecting dust.

RidleySaria on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I'll swing by tomorrow again after work, but if the idiots there still don't know a thing about it, I'll just preorder on Amazon when it's available there. I can wait a day for shipping.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's not that, it's just that I only played my DS at work or when traveling and I haven't played it at work in forever and I've been the driver when traveling recently. The last couple of games I bought I never completed either.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's not that, it's just that I only played my DS at work or when traveling and I haven't played it at work in forever and I've been the driver when traveling recently. The last couple of games I bought I never completed either.

This guy has the same thing I do. I have a nice DS lite, but I only have 4 games and I never beat one of them.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Engadget heals.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/26/nintendo-3ds-pre-orders-begin-at-gamestop-still-no-official-us/
    Should your local GameStop fail to recognize the autostereoscopic handheld's impending availability, just kindly ask them to consult their computer, find the SKU field, and type in the magic numbers "020132."

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Engadget heals.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/26/nintendo-3ds-pre-orders-begin-at-gamestop-still-no-official-us/
    Should your local GameStop fail to recognize the autostereoscopic handheld's impending availability, just kindly ask them to consult their computer, find the SKU field, and type in the magic numbers "020132."

Did that for my boss. At which point I got called ridiculous for knowing the SKU without having even worked for the week yet :lol:

Zerokku on
  • JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really hope OoT 3DS has new, added dungeons and sidequests. I still have my original N64 cartridge with the banned chants and red blood, so if this is nothing but a graphical update I'll probably pass.

I'm more excited for Kid Icarus and Paper Mario, myself.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
    edited December 2010
    Jave wrote: »
    I really hope OoT 3DS has new, added dungeons and sidequests. I still have my original N64 cartridge with the banned chants and red blood, so if this is nothing but a graphical update I'll probably pass.

Personally, I'm hoping to finally be able to beat that damn runner. Either that or be able to fire an arrow into his skull with a satisfying accompanying "k-thunk".

RidleySaria on
    edited December 2010
    So when I was pre-ordering the 3DS at GS, I noticed a box of PC games hidden behind a sign on the counter. I commented that they would have trouble selling them from behind the sign, and the clerk said, "It doesn't matter they ALL suck anyway." I looked in the box and saw a pile of Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, FarCry 2, Ghost Recon and such. I asked at random if he thought that FarCry 2 sucked, and he said, "Hell yea, it was just driving back and forth endlessly across Africa while doing the exact same ONE quest over and over again." As he said this the clerk next to him was nodding enthusiastically.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2010
    I'm assuming that Farcry 2 does in fact not suck and that these two guys are typical Gamestop mouthbreathers. Am I right? I don't know for sure because I haven't played any Farcry games.

RidleySaria on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I haven't played it either. Sounds similar to the few reviews I remember, though.

I'm so ready for the 3DS. I sorta want to wait to find out the final price...but...I did get money for Christmas that I'd just waste on something else stupid. Hmm...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited December 2010
    I'm assuming that Farcry 2 does in fact not suck and that these two guys are typical Gamestop mouthbreathers. Am I right? I don't know for sure because I haven't played any Farcry games.

85% on Metacritic.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2010

85% on Metacritic.

Metacritic. Whatever. What do you think about it?

RidleySaria on
    edited December 2010

85% on Metacritic.

I only played an hour into the game, but then my most recent ex spoiled the final huge plot twist on our first date after I mentioned I had started playing it. I then went, thanks, that's a 40 hour game that I've lost all desire to play for the foreseeable future. Anyway it's a game that is rated in the mid 80s by both Metacritic and GameRankings, not to mention that there were quite a few gems in that box. It was a box full of CD sleeves (not that they took the games out, it was how the publisher did it), with labels sticking out, there were only about 5 games in the box, but about a dozen of each one. The box was hidden behind a sign with only an inch of the corner sticking out, I had to stick my head around the sign to see what was in the conspicuous box.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2010

85% on Metacritic.

I only played an hour into the game, but then my most recent ex spoiled the final huge plot twist on our first date after I mentioned I had started playing it. I then went, thanks, that's a 40 hour game that I've lost all desire to play for the foreseeable future. Anyway it's a game that is rated in the mid 80s by both Metacritic and GameRankings, not to mention that there were quite a few gems in that box. It was a box full of CD sleeves (not that they took the games out, it was how the publisher did it), with labels sticking out, there were only about 5 games in the box, but about a dozen of each one. The box was hidden behind a sign with only an inch of the corner sticking out, I had to stick my head around the sign to see what was in the conspicuous box.

Ok, because based on my personal tastes I'd probably dismiss that box as a bunch of shit too. Popular maybe, but nothing I'd give a second glance at. I was in the business of selling games I'd at least take a little more care to display the games even if I don't have any liking for them. But if I had to plug games the way they do, I'd drill a hole in my head. I could never work at a Gamestop.

RidleySaria on
    edited December 2010

85% on Metacritic.

Ok, because based on my personal tastes I'd probably dismiss that box as a bunch of shit too. Popular maybe, but nothing I'd give a second glance at. I was in the business of selling games I'd at least take a little more care to display the games even if I don't have any liking for them. But if I had to plug games the way they do, I'd drill a hole in my head. I could never work at a Gamestop.
    At the very least when you have a box filled with games that the majority of have an average meta/GR rating of 80% or higher, I'd tell people that they were well reviewed, and not tell POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS THAT THE PRODUCTS WE ARE SELLING SUCK!

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2010
    I'm happy to not have had the misfortune of being told that MY purchase sucks. I'd have zero patience for that. I've gotten a few "excellent choice" comments.

Hmmm.... I kind of wonder if I've been to that Gamestop. My sister lives in Irvine and I've gone to the one near her a few times. They wouldn't let us take a Monster Hunter demo disc.... that annoyed me. Is it the one off Irvine Blvd and Sand Canyon?

RidleySaria on
    edited December 2010
    I'm happy to not have had the misfortune of being told that MY purchase sucks. I'd have zero patience for that. I've gotten a few "excellent choice" comments.

Hmmm.... I kind of wonder if I've been to that Gamestop. My sister lives in Irvine and I've gone to the one near her a few times. They wouldn't let us take a Monster Hunter demo disc.... that annoyed me. Is it the one off Irvine Blvd and Sand Canyon?

It's the high end test market one on Barranca, it's a couple blocks away from my place.

I wonder how many PAers are in SoCal, it would be cool to do a hangout of some kind.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2010

It's the high end test market one on Barranca, it's a couple blocks away from my place.

I wonder how many PAers are in SoCal, it would be cool to do a hangout of some kind.

Yeah, that'd be cool. I used to have a roomate I'd game with but it's been years and I miss it.

RidleySaria on
    edited December 2010
    Good on the GameStop employees that were stopping people from buying FarCry 2

They're good people

UnbreakableVow on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the last non handheld system I had was an NES so I am just full of excuses

Jars on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FarCry2 is awesome at first and quickly devolves into a painful drudge, though I was compelled enough to finish it, oddly.

Anyways, I really want a 3DS, though not enough to reserve one from Gamestop, maybe once some other retailers start preorders I'll be more interested.

A new Kid Icarus and an OoT/Star Fox that doesn't look like 64 poop is tempting beyond belief.

earthwormadam on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    After using my iPhone 4 since it came out, its really really hard to go to the DS. Especially my XL which has even bigger pixels. So here is hoping the 3DS makes old DS games look really good.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png