As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Phalla Classic [Naughty win when the Nice do nothing]

DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Critical Failures
Mini FAQ:
Q) A Phalla? I never saw a sign up thread!
A) Yep. I want to run a small phalla, with no reasonable way of managing that in a sign up thread I simply invited a dozen people and took those who said yes.
Q) Why wasn’t I invited?
A) I clearly hate you.
Q)What about FFT Phalla?
A) It’s an awesome game and likely more entertaining to watch then mine. I just died early and want something to occupy me. HylianBunny is aware of this and has approved.

Welcome to the Phalla Classic. This is a simple and small Phalla game. I’m not listing a large amount of rules in this OP, you all know what you’re doing and this is technically a hidden rule game.

Each night the highest vote getter is given over to the Krampus in hopes they’re the evil that obsesses him.
Each night somebody is abducted by the Krampus and thrown in the fires of Hell.

The Krampus stops showing up when he’s collected all the evil people in the village.

We vote by !vote for TehSpectre.
We retract by !retract for…no I’m not doing that. (Include a name in a real retraction please.)

Vote closes at 10:30 pm EST. Any vote timestamped by the forum as 10:30 or later is invalid. Same goes for any action PMs I require.

It’s a splendid spring night in the village of Noel in the Kingdom of Phalla. Recently the town had cause to dig a large number of graves while cleaning out the nearby Caves of Phalla. While down there they unearthed an ancient book. The book was clearly an important repository of eldritch knowledge. Basking in the joy of rediscovered knowledge Professor Thodwaddle arranged a public reading of the secrets contained within.

“First, allow me to direct you to this wonderful gingerbread recipe I found tucked in the book. They are quite tasty and bracing. Ehem, now let’s see what I can find in here….”

“Belif an i sown denesa la probmesto nuestro…” A Clatter of Hoves! A spray of splinters from the shattered door! Then the Krampus appears!

kv1.jpg

The Krampus stands flicking it’s incredibly long tongue into the air and scanning the crowd. It stands still for a full minute, locked in indecision. The crowd tensely waits.

“Oh, he’s been gone too long!” says the fascinated Professor. “He can no longer tell who is naughty and nice! Perhaps we’re safe after all…”

As one each villager points a single finger directly at the Professor. Without hesitation the Krampus grabs up the old man and begins to thrash him with his switches. He gives a bestial laugh and runs away into the night.

You know that the Professor for all his faults was not truly naughty. He baked cookies! No, the Krampus must want somebody else. He’s so blind and confused in this modern age he’ll take whoever the majority tell him to. With the natural end of his reign of terror months away your only hope of survival is to find the naughty ones before the Krampus carts away all the innocent.

So the question remains….are you naughty or nice?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
DevoutlyApathetic on

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Players:

1 Ardor given to the Krampus.
    2 Buzz Buzz
    3 Gnasty framed by the Naughty.
    4 HylianBunny
    5 Jdarksun
    6 Nerissa
    7 Thanatos given to the Krampus.
    8 Thorgot framed by the Naughty.
    9 VisibleHowl

Role PMs have been sent out.

Game on!

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Heh. With this amount of players, it's much harder to toss around first day accusations willy-nilly.

Hylianbunny on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Heh. With this amount of players, it's much harder to toss around first day accusations willy-nilly.
    What's stopping you, evil-boy? That's pretty much all you can do on day 1. Any nice person would know that.

I !vote for Hylianbunny.

Thanatos on
    edited May 2007
    Well, I !vote for Gnasty. Clearly someone with "nasty" in their name is a naughty, naughty person.

Hylianbunny on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I !vote for Gnasty. Clearly someone with "nasty" in their name is a naughty, naughty person.
    That's not very nice of you. I'd say your vote for me is almost...naughty.

I !vote for Hylianbunny

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited May 2007
    Dearest Gnasty, would it not be naughtier to make the first vote? Surely a nice person wouldn't strike first.

I !retract from Gnasty and !vote Thanatos.

Hylianbunny on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    thanatos will prove the recent mod-is-badguy trend started by Munkus.

I !vote Thanatas

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    thorgot wrote: »

I !vote Thanatas
    Dude, I was the bad guy in the last two games I played. I'm done with that shit.

Thanatos on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

I !vote Thanatas
    Dude, I was the bad guy in the last two games I played. I'm done with that shit.

You're right. This time you are naughty, not bad.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    I'm curious what roles that are in other similar games are in here. A "seer" and "knight", I would guess, but perhaps something else?

Hylianbunny on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I !vote Thanatas

He's not actually talking about you. He's talking about your evil twin brother "Thanatas".

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited May 2007

I !vote Thanatas

He's not actually talking about you. He's talking about your evil twin brother "Thanatas".

He is the winter of our disoncant.

Or something.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thread needs more first-day revelations...

Hey guys. I'm the guardian.

Don't contact me. I will not be forming a network. I will not be protecting anyone but myself for the entirety of the game.

It's going to be awesome.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited May 2007
    Protecting only yourself isn't very nice.

Hylianbunny on
    edited May 2007
    Protecting only yourself isn't very nice.

Yeah, I guess it's a little nau--

...waaaaaait a second.

You almost had me there.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited May 2007
    I must say that this game has already far exceeded my expectations for amusing banter.

Good Show!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited May 2007
    Clearly DevoutlyApathetic is the naughty one. We are not here for your amusement! >: (

Hylianbunny on
    edited May 2007
    Oh yes you are.

Rules Clarification: I can't be voted out of this one, unlike Phallanoia.

Just though that might need to be said.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited May 2007
    Well...yes, yes we are.

Want to bet we can't vote you out? We outnumber you, y'know!

I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

Hylianbunny on
    edited May 2007
    DA probably made everyone nice, just to fuck with all of us. :P

Thanatos on
    edited May 2007

That's a rather naughty thought.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    I bet you hate Christmas too, Thanatos.

Grinch!

Hylianbunny on
    edited May 2007

That's a rather naughty thought.

At some point, somebody on PA is going to run a "Bastard Narrator" phalla. The outcry will be massive and hilarious.
    This isn't it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited May 2007
    This isn't it.

Or is it?

Also, where does everyone get this capital B in my name from? It's one word. >_>

Hylianbunny on
    edited May 2007
    Hey, DA, when the seer has a vision of me, will they learn of my specialness or just my niceness?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited May 2007
    Seer mechanics have been revealed to the seer.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited May 2007
    Wow, I suddenly hate me for being so vague about some roles in Zodiac Phalla. :P

Hylianbunny on
    edited May 2007
    The best part of running a phalla is answering public questions in the most general way possible.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited May 2007
    Time to sleep. If this has magically jumped to fifteen pages, I will be displeased.

D=

Hylianbunny on
  • Buzz BuzzBuzz Buzz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Time to sleep. If this has magically jumped to fifteen pages, I will be displeased.

Let's make it happen people!

Seriously though, with only 9 players, this might be pretty hard for the village. Night 1 is essentially a random bandwagon, and we don't know how strong the naughties are or how many baddies are out there. Could be game over pretty quick for the nice guys.

The only way to not have a random bandwagon on night 1 is for everyone to post a fair amount so that the naughty jerks are exposed through faulty arguments about whatever topic we end up with. We've got a guardian claim and we've got a seer pretty much confirmed by DA (although I grant that could be a fantastic misdirection on his part). If visiblehowl really is the guardian, then he definitely has to protect himself tonight, lest the naughties hit him and take out our guardian. After tonight, he should probably keep his plan a secret, as if he gets down to the end with however many naughties, they'll probably be able to vote him off. I'd have to imagine that if only one naughty player and a guardian were left alive at the end...well, what would happen then? Sorta makes me wonder if there even is a guardian here, since that endgame seems somewhat probable if there is one.

I'm fairly befuddled here. We don't want a random bandwagon on night 1, since with so few players, the game could be over pretty quick, so we don't want to waste any kills we have. On the other hand, we don't really have any choice but to vote randomly, since it seems that there's probably not too much to talk about, especially with the mechanics being hidden. I don't know.

So, in closing, let's make it happen people! :P And by people, I mean you guys. I'm going to bed. :)

[EDIT] On second thought, visiblehowl should only protect himself, unless he gets in contact with the seer. That's the smart play, since he doesn't know that anyone else is nice. Right? See? I'm tired. Bed.

Buzz Buzz on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If the past has taught us anything, clearly everyone here is naughty, but we need to find the one who has the most naughtiness to go around. Clearly a guy who has to hide behind a cute avatar has the most to hide.

!I vote Gnasty for being naughty.

Karmic retribution?

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    Yay double post.

So I've discussed with my network (of 1) on who should be considered suspect for being naughty and the following list is the result. I've kept the names of the network off the suspect list since those are to be considered nice.

Suspects:

2 Buzz Buzz
    3 Gnasty
    4 HylianBunny
    5 Jdarksun
    6 Nerissa
    7 Thanatos
    8 Thorgot
    9 VisibleHowl

I think these individuals are a great place to start when looking for people who obviously receive coal as their annual gift. At least one of them is the culprit we must uncover.

Ardor on
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd guess that a "bare bones" game probably doesn't even have a guardian, and maybe not a seer either. Almost definitely no vigilante in a game this small. Of course, now I've probably just convinced at least two people that I'm a vigilante of some nature. :P

Based on the size of the game, I'd have to guess probably two naughty ones.

hmm... I think I'll ponder for a few hours before I make a vote.

Nerissa on
    edited May 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Ardor, you've seem to have left your name off the list of suspects.

Naughty!
    Nerissa wrote: »
    I'd guess that a "bare bones" game probably doesn't even have a guardian, and maybe not a seer either. Almost definitely no vigilante in a game this small. Of course, now I've probably just convinced at least two people that I'm a vigilante of some nature. :P

It says in your profile that your location is "Xanth".

And yet there are no puns in your post. At all. It is devoid of puns. Pun-free. A barren, pun-less wasteland.

That sounds... mundane, doesn't it?

And we all know what mundane means.

Equally as naughty!

Robotsanta.jpg

Did you forget something important JNaughtyson?

Phalla is serious business. Forgetting such an important rule puts you high on the naughty suspect list.

Ardor on
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Ardor, you've seem to have left your name off the list of suspects.

Naughty!
    Nerissa wrote: »

It says in your profile that your location is "Xanth".

And yet there are no puns in your post. At all. It is devoid of puns. Pun-free. A barren, pun-less wasteland.

That sounds... mundane, doesn't it?

And we all know what mundane means.

Equally as naughty!

Robotsanta.jpg

heh, well, if you look at a map of Xanth, I live awfully close to the border, so I suppose the mundane has been contaminating me. :lol:

Nerissa on
    edited May 2007
    The network has put together some preliminary information on the suspects here, listed below.

Suspects:

Buzz Buzz: He's usually very nice with putting togther vote tallies or generally being helpful. Right now, I see no vote tallies or helpfulness. Slightly naughty.

Gnasty: The bunny is cute, it has to be a nice asset to the Gnasty profile. However, such blatant excuses to bandwagon someone and refusal to give me candy yesterday? Naughty.

HylianBunny: First to be voted for. That wasn't very nice against him. However, he immediately retaliates and succumbs to fighting rather than talking. His avatar shuold say it all about his intentions. He should rely on diplomacy and discussion before accusations and shooting. Naughty.

Jdarksun: I had done some research, but then I found this pm laying around in my inbox.
    jdarksun wrote:
    I'm very naughty, please work with me to be rid of the nice people. I've even got some candy in the van.

Sad to say, the candy wasn't as good as advertised. Slightly naughty.

Nerissa: Phalla is serious business. I've heard legends about this individual that carry far beyond my negligable time in this place that preclude her to be sugar, spice and everything nice. However, my Coco Puffs spelled out DOOM in the cereal bowl this morning when her name was mentioned. Wolf in sheeps clothing? Let the narration decide. Naughty.

Thanatos: His name is Thanatos. He is the angriest and bitterest man. Need I say more? Probably not naughty but can never be too sure.

Thorgot: He kicked my dog. Twice. In fact, I don't even have a dog but if I did he would kick it. Incredibly Naughty.

VisibleHowl: He claims to be a guardian. He also claims he will defend nobody but himself. It's been pointed out in the thread already that this is not very nice. In fact, some might define his actions as Naughty. I've worked with the man before. He's very clever, but mostly naughty. Probably not naughty, but we can test his guardian claim with the narration and the vote.

DevoutlyApathetic: This guy has been evil in so many games, it cancels out because he created this small game so he's a very nice guy. However, instinct tells me we all have the same role and he's letting us battle to the death for his amusement. He's not only naughty but he sells horrible snakeoil. I do not know this from personal experience, so please stop asking. No, that snakeoil of mine wasn't bought from him.

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    That dog was asking for it.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2007

He was coming right for you, if I recall.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited May 2007

He was coming right for you, if I recall.

In his defense, the dog was being kind of a dick huh?

Do two wrongs really make a right?

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    Y'seem to have forgotten someone.

Ardor: This guy is a schemer, no doubt about it. He just so happens to leave himself out of the list of potentially naughty people? He said we can test out Visiblehowl's guardian status with the vote, but usually the vote is the one thing to bypass the guardian's defense. I somehow doubt he intends to just talk deals. Naughty?

Also, !vote Thanatos, !vote Gnasty. I expected a lot more from him so far, but nothing.

Hylianbunny on