As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet Event of the Year: 2010

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
Hello forum members.

It has once again become the final week of the year and that means it's time to discuss the internet gossip of the past twelve months. Here we figure out what the internet will be remembered for, the event that changed the course of the tubes and will go down in history for what the year means to us folks who are on it all day.

For 2010 my vote this year is for the past batch of Wikileaks, that internet event has shook up the world so much that new laws will be passed and some folks wants others executed. It was a US centric event but global in it's reach.

----

Remember back into time, here is the post from 2009..

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=108821

2008:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=78655

2007:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=44279

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!
Lord Jezo on

• Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, for my money it's got to be Wikileaks.

Aside from the diplomatic cables released, they also released the Iraq/Afghanistan war logs earlier in the year.

The only other thing would be the Google/Verizon Net Neutrality debacle, which the FCC has been continuing.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, Wikileaks is probably good for the most notable internet event, but the most fun internet event over the last year was probably due to the Auto Tune the News people and more specifically, the Bed Intruder song.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, to quote from last year's thread:
    Yeah I'm gonna go with the death of Duke Nukem Forever. We all knew it was coming but now it's "official".

DNF is still real!

Arrath on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Haha, quoting Mumblyfish from 2007 about Stage6, Divx's attempt to make their codec a web platform. I'd completely forgotten it existed. It eventually closed due to costs, and was eclipsed by YouTube when they unveiled HD streaming.
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    If youtube won last year, I bet Facebook will be this year's winner. Say what you want about it, but everyone is on that shit.
    Could we not have a rule to exclude such nominations, on the grounds that everyone who uses social networking sites is a failure? It seems unfair to deny Stage6 and Let's Play their chance to shine as new Internet developments that are actually good; the former for providing free streaming video that's appropriate to today's average Internet connection, as opposed to appropriate for the sixteenth fucking century, the latter for popularising watching others play video games as opposed to playing them oneself, which is no small feat.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i don't even play starcraft or whatever

but...

day9

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Beatles on iTunes.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wikileaks

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My own vote is for Wikileaks, but I would also consider Facebook again.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So.. Wikileaks for 2010?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    While I think Wikileaks is probably the biggest technology related news story I actually think the thing that has shaped our online and gaming world the most would be the huge success of casual facebook based gaming. The huge sums of money and number of players of stuff like Farmville and Cityville have brought tons of new gamers into the fold and practically overnight created a gaming company rivaling the size of EA.

It's been a gateway drug too - I got my niece Harvest Moon for the DS based on her Farmville love and I know people that went out and bought SimCity for the DS to have Cityville type of fun on the road. I can only assume at E3 this year we'll see a lot of "it's like Farmville but..." type of games being pushed.

The only other thing I can think of might be the success of the Android platform which really came to fruition this year.

I think in terms of my daily activities both of these will have a bigger impact than Wikileaks.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Beatles on iTunes.

Really nothing else rivals this in impact and scope

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    Beatles on iTunes.

I wonder how much the billboards they have up over the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel cost.

Also a whole bunch of them in prime NYC locations.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    While I think Wikileaks is probably the biggest technology related news story I actually think the thing that has shaped our online and gaming world the most would be the huge success of casual facebook based gaming. The huge sums of money and number of players of stuff like Farmville and Cityville have brought tons of new gamers into the fold and practically overnight created a gaming company rivaling the size of EA.

It's been a gateway drug too - I got my niece Harvest Moon for the DS based on her Farmville love and I know people that went out and bought SimCity for the DS to have Cityville type of fun on the road. I can only assume at E3 this year we'll see a lot of "it's like Farmville but..." type of games being pushed.

The only other thing I can think of might be the success of the Android platform which really came to fruition this year.

I think in terms of my daily activities both of these will have a bigger impact than Wikileaks.

I whole heartedly support this. The "casual" gamer has really come out and made a big impact on the gaming scene. These little games where you just pop in from time to time have really taken a big piece of the market that no one really expected it to. Even iphone games, like angry birds, are becoming the target market for some bigger companies now.

toolbert on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hide yo kids, hide yo wife for best meme of the year.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Beatles on iTunes.

Is this a sarcastic reference to the Beatles being bigger than Jesus?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Beatles on iTunes.

You guys are kidding right? Because that was so minor on the scale of things that everyone groaned when they announced it.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't think I've ever heard a Beatles song in its entirety.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm gonna say Wikileaks as well. That shit is changing the world as we speak.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I gotta say, the last minute of Brodyquest is fucking great.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

maybe you should go outside

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010

maybe you should go outside

I've seen the black & white clips of them getting off the plane and the screaming girls and the bits of what I believe is the Ed Sullivan show...

And of course I've heard Imagine, but that's not exactly The Beatles.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pretty much the most important musical act in history's entire catalog being released on the most important innovation to music in history.

I'd say it's a bigger deal than some rapist getting some boring gov't documents and putting them on his blog.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Pretty much the most important musical act in history's entire catalog being released on the most important innovation to music in history.

I'd say it's a bigger deal than some rapist getting some boring gov't documents and putting them on his blog.

!Voteban

Either you're a master troll, a master beatles fanboy or you're a myopic teenager that just discovered oldies.

40 years from now you think people are going to look at the events of 2010 and think...oh hey they released the beatles on iTunes? There are no words for how myopic this is.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Beatles were already widely available before I-Tunes, even on the internet on stuff like Pandora. Like re-re-releasing Zelda, it happens every six months.

It's pretty cool that it's the first time all the catalog is available digitally, but their musical influence happened 40 years ago.

Edit: and to actually contribute something, I'll point out the World Cup. It was a global event where streaming video, news and social sites were all involved.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Beatles were already widely available before I-Tunes, even on the internet on stuff like Pandora. Like re-re-releasing Zelda, it happens every six months.

It's pretty cool that it's the first time all the catalog is available digitally, but their musical influence happened 40 years ago.

Edit: and to actually contribute something, I'll point out the World Cup. It was a global event where streaming video, news and social sites were all involved.

I'd say the vuvuzela and the glaring lack of technology replay were bigger parts of what we'll remember about the world cup. As americans that is.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wikileaks wins by default, because it has real life, world-wide affects.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah the vuvuzelas and the animated gifs that came from 'em are what the World Cup is all about. Soccer? What's that? :P

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah the vuvuzelas and the animated gifs that came from 'em are what the World Cup is all about. Soccer? What's that? :P

I call it foot melon

mrt144 on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wikileaks for politics and the internet, casual gaming for games and technology in relation to the internet, and Beatles on iTunes for music (bout time), are my votes for 2010.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Beatles has 0 lasting effect. Being on iTunes that is. The Beatles are awesome? Internet event? Not even remotely.

The ENTIRETY of Brodyquest is awesome though.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Beatles and iTunes are old news. Not sure how combining them makes for top internet story of the year.

Wikileaks gets my serious vote, vuvuzelas get my silly vote. I went to South Africa a few months after the World Cup and brought home 4 of them as gifts to people, everyone was pumped to get them!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wikileaks gets my serious vote, vuvuzelas get my silly vote. I went to South Africa a few months after the World Cup and brought home 4 of them as gifts to people, everyone was pumped to get them!

I still have one in the back seat of my car.

Also don't forget all the virtual vuvu apps everyone had this past summer. Many a morning the wife woke me up with it playing in my sleeping face.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Much as I do not care about wikileaks, I have to say its one of the biggest things of the year because,

1. People won't shut up about it
    2. People have made death threat against the people who did it
    3. People have made death threats against people against it
    4. The "band" has already broken up and formed spin off groups
    5. Someone may go to jail for it.
    6. and finally the front man comes off as such an annoying, anti-social, grimy hater of all things powerful, that you will see people's views about wikileaks change the moment he pops on camera

Over all, it is still in the realm of crazy hype (like the tea party, tickle me elmo, myspace, or any of the other crap we waste time on) but this is hype on a global scale. I'm not going to qualify this with someone dying, this already takes the cake for the year.

Which sucks, because I would have thought Obama sticking to his word and ending Don't Ask, Don't Tell and start would have been the biggest things of the year.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    i don't even play starcraft or whatever

but...

day9
    Best-strategy-To-go-fucking-kill-him.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png