As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Notch breaks SMP, must be tuesday

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Put this in next OP

I was going to close it after a minute and ended up watching all 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fThuq2Pz14

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Loathing wrote: »
    Besides no griefing, stealing or general muckfuckery is there anything else one needs to know in regards to playing on the Underdark? Might join you fine folk again tomorrow once I get home and wait for my hardware to arrive, I was on there for a short while as Tyberias.

That's the gist of it. There's a rule board at spawn with almost everything you need to know, and there's usually at least one mod on most of the time if you have any questions.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh, one last question I have.

If I put up a server for me and a friend, can I shut down the server then load it up again? Or does it need to stay up to keep the data?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's basically like every other save file, just accessible by more than you!

tachyon on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    Oh, one last question I have.

If I put up a server for me and a friend, can I shut down the server then load it up again? Or does it need to stay up to keep the data?

As long as you shut down the server properly it will save everything just fine, including the last position and inventory of each player. If you are paranoid you could use the save-all command every now and then to force save the server, and the stop command when shutting it down.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    http://www.indiedb.com/events/2010-indie-of-the-year-awards/features/players-choice-indie-of-the-year-2010

Minecraft took first place. Looks like we'll be getting cake in the game soon!

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The only time I ran into problems was when my PC froze while the server was up. After reboot I kept getting [SEVERE]Exception Error or whatever it is and had to reinstall the server software, after which I ended up with chunk corruption on my map.

Nothing now like spawning in as a new player on the server and getting plunged into the sea from twenty feet in the air.

Loathing on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just joined Underdark today. I'm a big fan.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Had fun in the Underdark this evening. Never really did much more than explore on other servers but set myself up a nice little base which I shall be expanding after some trips into the darkness.

Elycius ingame btw.

Ah, that was you? I apologize for following you around suspiciously on diannaochong's, just we've had some problems with griefers lately, wanted to make sure you weren't up to no good.

In related news, does anyone know who "scruffysheep" is on the forums? He's a bit, er...odd in-game.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Next two have been encoded...
    Part 3

Part 4

halkun on
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, looking for opinions on "Mob Tower Farms." As they do present the problem of destroying our economy.
    Pros:
    Easy arrow production, which I claim is the only way to deal with lag when monsters are around.
    Gunpowder. Puhhhlease. you know me, i love tnt. Go see Ein's server. walk 100 feet foward, see what you can do with it.

Cons:
    AFK at tower for hours = uber rich.
    side note on that one:
    People who "hog" the item drop off point.

Without mob drops to be bought from Vic, this would dramatically reduce how to obtain gold B's aside from finding gold. Would drop us down to logging, which is infinite (barring me burning down the tree farm <.<;) and gravel hunting, which is ultimately finite.

Considerations? Opinions? Comments?

Edit: Yes i do have my own mob tower, No i do not use it for anything but arrows and gunpowder. The only mob drops i've sold came from sweat and tear filled fights with mobs (usually ending in 3 stacks of arrows spread around a creeper like shape)

Kileak on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got some screens of the post-seal-activation shenanigans last night:

Here's outside of Samurai's dojo... he had all his torches and loot stolen as well:
    20101226220351.png

TNT on the HQ steps, signs look to have been altered as well.
    20101226215311.png

Failed attempt at defusing, causing the death of PAEZahn (sorry if I misspelled)
    20101226215348.png

Suggestion to URC folks... maybe see if there's some method of defusing or isolating tnt? Surround it with obs and direct the blast maybe?

For now if anyone sees TNT don't touch it. Call a mod.

Underdarkians should watch your step, and make sure you stash your valuables in hidden areas.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Had fun in the Underdark this evening. Never really did much more than explore on other servers but set myself up a nice little base which I shall be expanding after some trips into the darkness.

Elycius ingame btw.

Ah, that was you? I apologize for following you around suspiciously on diannaochong's, just we've had some problems with griefers lately, wanted to make sure you weren't up to no good.

In related news, does anyone know who "scruffysheep" is on the forums? He's a bit, er...odd in-game.

Hah no problem, I imagine I did look a bit shifty popping into any building but had the wanderlust as soon as I loaded in.

Also, is there a good place to find dirt or is it just getting lucky?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hadn't been able to play Minecraft on my personal laptop because of some kind of error, but I was hoping I could play it while at my parents' house for Christmas.

Unfortunately, this error is coming-up every time I try to start the game:

"javaw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I tried playing Minecraft off the main website. The error message didn't appear then; instead, the computer just shut-off without warning.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Make sure Java is up to date?

Also
    Vic wrote: »
    And also, I did an isometric map of the UC to try out the concept. Not sure how well I think it went, but take a look:

iso.png

That looks cool as hell. Santa creeper shows up great.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Make sure Java is up to date?

Already did.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dunno then. If it kills your laptop when you play in browser... I'd say your laptop has issues. Virus scan, make sure Windows is up-to-date.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    see if there is a more details button or link and post a more descriptive error

what browser is it? is the computer even capable of running minecraft? how many proccesses does task manager say are running (bottom left corner)?

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For the TNT issue, just have it be touched by water, causes no explosive damgae but will make you fly back a bit.

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Good to know.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kileak wrote: »
    So, looking for opinions on "Mob Tower Farms." As they do present the problem of destroying our economy.
    Pros:
    Easy arrow production, which I claim is the only way to deal with lag when monsters are around.
    Gunpowder. Puhhhlease. you know me, i love tnt. Go see Ein's server. walk 100 feet foward, see what you can do with it.

Cons:
    AFK at tower for hours = uber rich.
    side note on that one:
    People who "hog" the item drop off point.

Without mob drops to be bought from Vic, this would dramatically reduce how to obtain gold B's aside from finding gold. Would drop us down to logging, which is infinite (barring me burning down the tree farm <.<;) and gravel hunting, which is ultimately finite.

Considerations? Opinions? Comments?

Edit: Yes i do have my own mob tower, No i do not use it for anything but arrows and gunpowder. The only mob drops i've sold came from sweat and tear filled fights with mobs (usually ending in 3 stacks of arrows spread around a creeper like shape)

I have only been in the Undercore, the Underdark, and False Surface Cave, and I haven't seen any mob farms. That said, I'm totally going to build a base around a dungeon.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have built both an above ground and below ground Mob killer and the below ground one works much better for me. I did build it on a SMP map but I didnt find 0,0 that might be the problem. My below ground one works great but I still think I have some tunnels to light up.

Edit: This weekend I took some time to finally mess around with minecarts, redstone etc. I now have a fully functional subway system at one point that delivers a cart and waits for you to get in. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh? New thread, you say. eeeegggcellent.

Also, I love the write-ups for the Underdark drama. Every new picture is just another sweet taste into the mysterious and possibly cursed world of Underdark.

Keep it up fellas.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DissolutionDissolution Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heh, been a while since I posted here...

Going to stop lurking in the Minecraft threads, silently wishing I had someone to play with and get off myy ass and leap into the Underdark later on...anything I need to know about selecting a location for setting up my home?

Also, awesome read and lore with Underdark. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dissolution on
    Houk wrote: »
    Finally! A game that understands my desire for the inclusion of a jar of semen!
    PSN - Kog667 : DiRT 3 and Gran Turismo 5
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Underdark PD lives again

Redstoners, we're ready for round 2

Gumpy on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the underdark story is developing quite nicely

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Story So Far:

---

Did someone say Round 2? Because it's time for The Return Of the Redstone Cult!
    This sign appeared in my house the morning of the first reckoning:
    This sign was left in my house. Somehow I get the feeling that the enemy of my enemy is not my friend in this case.

00.jpg

Fast forward a few weeks to the morning of the day that 4th Seal was activated and the Final Seal was found and activated:
    Actvitiy has spiked overnight. The "Old Core" hasn't unearthed itself yet, but our actions seem to have drawn the cultists out early.

01.jpg

02.jpg

The hearts, including the fake heart, have been restoned

03.jpg

04.jpg

A rune was left in PraneFuji's basement and signs want to recruit him to help stop us from meddling with any more hearts. Why the Road Builder? He hasn't been seen for weeks.

05.jpg

I also woke up to this odd symbol in my house, one I had never seen before. Later I heard Empirical and a few others discussing the locations of the seals... someone said that the second, third, and fourth seals were located in opposite corners from the seal in the center of the ice cave. The symbol in my house matched the location of the seals exactly if the 5th seal is in the final corner (at this time, the 5th eal hadn't been found yet)

06.jpg

I activated the first seal, but Emprical and Tachyon activated activated the second and third. When their houses were checked, Empircal had one, but not Tachyon. Odd. Maybe our lead was wrong.

07.jpg

Later when I was wandering through the HQ, I found more activity on the second floor. After the first reckoning, lots of people were putting up "We're doomed!" signs. I decided to get in on the fun by taking two empty rooms in HQ (which we use as the storehouse) and labeling them "DOOM" and "HOPE". I then stuck a sign above the chest in the Doom room proclaimed that there was plenty for everyone. The sign on the Hope room chest said that we were fresh out. Well, anyway, the cult left the "seal" rune in the Hope room along with a sign that explained the cult's new motives.

08.jpg

09.jpg

It wasn't related to the seals after all. I opened the Deep Heart and Empirical/Aneroi opened the Cold Heart. I rushed out to Aneroi's house and found the rune right inside his front door.

10.jpg

So... now what? They want us to stop the effects of the hearts. But a few weeks ago, they told me that I released a force that opposed their master. How do I know that they're not trying to trick/manipulate us into doing their work again like they did with the locks? There's also a good chance that a third heart will be found in Gehenna when the gates open and I have a feeling that a third reckoning will have some very, very bad effects for everyone...

There was also the HQ TNT incident and someone stealing Samurai's loot because he shouted "screw the cultists", but I have a feeling that it was just some random dick griefing under the name of the cult. It doesn't fit their actions of the cult up until that point. I'll also say it again that the server rules apply to the cult in addition to normal players. It's not an excuse to grief.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OI! People! Pm or most and all underdark server lore from the old one. I want it all!

Aaron is doing good on the new, but I don't know much about the old, so send it my way please!

Thanks

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vic, would it be alright if I punched a couple of holes through the ice in the ice cave? One is for my house to keep going up, one is for a drop down from the ice into the general area of my house, and I'll surround the drop with some kind of safehouse.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    DissolutionDissolution Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Had a blast inside the new LumberIce settlement in the ice cave. I'm Crono454, btw.

Absolutely amazed at the size of the chasm we found inside my storeroom.

edit: also, thank you to everyone who made me feel welcome in the Underdark.

Dissolution on
    Houk wrote: »
    Finally! A game that understands my desire for the inclusion of a jar of semen!
    PSN - Kog667 : DiRT 3 and Gran Turismo 5
  • Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pillar Enterprises (TM) has joined the massive icecave land grab. Massive amounts of resources have been procured, and a pocket dimension purchase is in the works. Also, we're now trading on the UDSE, NYSE, and LOHACSE. :P

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    D34THROW wrote: »
    Vic, would it be alright if I punched a couple of holes through the ice in the ice cave? One is for my house to keep going up, one is for a drop down from the ice into the general area of my house, and I'll surround the drop with some kind of safehouse.

The server is yours to play around with, so go right ahead. The only thing I don't want you to do is to wantonly destroy the themes of the caves, for example I don't want people to start systematically destroying the icicles. Any modifications you want to make to the caves to accomodate for your buildings are fine by me.

Gehenna is so close to done now! I am really excited about how it is going to turn out, there will undoubtedly be lots of flaws but I still think it will look awesome.

Vic on
  • Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Server's down. I can't wait!

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Heh, now I am starting to know how actual developers feel. I kept saying I would be done in something like half an hour, and meanwhile hour after hour went by and the work just kept piling up. Still, it is fun to make new caves!

Vic on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Only been on the server a day and can't wait to explore what you have in store for us.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How long is it expected to be down?

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Crossposting from the secret santa thread, but my gift finally came! Somehow, my Santa has figured out that I like minecraft. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just don't rush it and do it minutes before it's live like some developers do ;)

Kileak on
  • Options
    KumagoroKumagoro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just started playing Underdark. Finding it tricky to find a place to build that's not in the middle of Bumfuck, Nowhere. Terribly entertained by the lore screenies and so forth. Should be fun!

Kumagoro on
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Connection timed out Connection timed out Connection timed out Connection timed out Connection timed out Connection timed out Connection timed out

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
This discussion has been closed.