As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Soulcalibur 5] Thread glitched out. Make a new one.

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
2132447491_full.jpg

Some months back, just before the announcement of Tekken x Street Fighter, Katsuhiro Harada, big boss of Namco's fighting games development, let slip on his twitter that he was interested in a new Soulcalibur game. While fans were soon to learn that the secret announcement was just that the rumoured Tekken and Street Fighter crossover games were the real deal (not the even more vaguely rumoured Soulcalibur 5 with Kingdom Hearts characters), the Soulcalibur community decided to rally, and after holding a few large and successful major tournaments to prove that there was still interest from high-level players, they also started a petition on Facebook.

While the petition did well, and Harada continued to tease, with pics of him showing off the petition to his directors, and former lead programmers praying for a new game, it wasn't until just before Christmas that anything new surfaced, when Namco community manager FilthieRich tweeted
Looking and waiting for something special?
Make sure to continue following and tell your friends to stay tuned ....

The next day Harata tweeted a followup.
Sorry guys I'm so busy now.
However, I want to show you something within the course of a few days...

At this point many considered another Tekken announcement. Tekken 6 for the iphone? New TTT2 characters?

But they'd just released new TTT2 footage. So Tekken x Street Fighter?

On the 24th Harada made another tweet
Thanks for tons of comment !! OK next !!
I have something new to tweet about tomorrow night. so get ready!
(Not a footage. But important)

And 17 hours later, while everyone was quietly enjoying their holidays, Harada finally tweeted the news that all Soulcalibur fans had been waiting to hear.
To SC Fan!The day has finally come when I can tell you all about it RT@Daishi_CALIBUR SC is back! Get ready, fans! http://twitpic.com/3j16ui

The game had finally been announced, and we had our new Soulcalibur director (no word on the fate of Project Soul). Daishi Odashima, a former player who then worked on Soulcalibur 3, Soulcalibur 4, and Broken Destiny.

With the official announcement less than 2 days old it's impossible to say what they're going to do next. The biggest hope of the tournament community is that Namco will take some inspiration from current developer trends and keep the fans in the loop. After that would be an arcade release, but that seems unlikely.

Next up, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown gets a worldwide console release.

A couple weeks ago Namco put up a countdown for the new Soulcalibur game. It ends on May 10th at noon EST. Stay tuned.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Sterica on

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Page- wrote:
    (not the even more vaguely rumoured Soulcalibur 5 with Kingdom Hearts characters)

whaaa?

Xehalus on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It was the biggest Soulcalibur rumour going around before the last E3.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guest characters from S-E would honestly be the best thing for SC5. The amount of copies that would sell merely based upon Cloud and Sephiroth being playable would be hilarious... until you go online and fight nothing but Cloud's.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OP needs to include people's custom characters or no sale.

I'd say at this point, put Cloud and Sephiroth as the guest characters, just to finally put an end to the rumors. Both characters would fit really well anyway, since there are already SC fighters that mimic their sword styles.

Now, if Namco chooses to go the batshit insane route again and decides to put a "mainstream" guest character just for the heck of it, then I've predicted who they might choose for the next outing.
    image40705galleryv9izod.jpg

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guest characters from S-E would honestly be the best thing for SC5. The amount of copies that would sell merely based upon Cloud and Sephiroth being playable would be hilarious... until you go online and fight nothing but Cloud's.

And when you kick their ass you feel that much better :winky:

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Namco and Bandai are one right? Just start throwing random anime characters.

Goku with his staff is a no brainer, though I'm almost positive that there is probably a created fighter out there since Kilik's moves would fit him.

Kyougu on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Namco and Bandai are one right? Just start throwing random anime characters.

Goku with his staff is a no brainer, though I'm almost positive that there is probably a created fighter out there since Kilik's moves would fit him.

In Soul Calibur III, I always thought that the staff style bugged out on me since it constantly changed sizes. Then I found out it's based on Goku's staff from Journey to the West.

EDIT: Speaking of character creation, I guess I'm going to need to create Haseo and Nagase again in 5.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited December 2010

I'd say at this point, put Cloud and Sephiroth as the guest characters, just to finally put an end to the rumors. Both characters would fit really well anyway, since there are already SC fighters that mimic their sword styles.

Now, if Namco chooses to go the batshit insane route again and decides to put a "mainstream" guest character just for the heck of it, then I've predicted who they might choose for the next outing.

RE: Spoiler

Oh god no.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    The Star Wars guest characters were the most profitable, right?

So if Namco decides to look to mainstream movies again for a source, I can't really think of anyone else they'd be more interested in. It's stupid, but where else can you go after Yoda and Vader?

edited December 2010
    For something actually worth speculating on, we have a number of characters who are up in the air for the next installment.

My instinct is that after the way SC4 went down, a new team, and the current climate of fighting game, there's a good chance SC5 will be a throwback. Not quite a reboot, but something they're going to throw out as an appeasement to longtime fans.

Currently we have both Hwang and Li-long completely MIA, even though they both made it into AE as full characters (along with Amy, who managed to cross over into SC4). Algol is a completely unique character, unlike most of the bosses in the series, and while Cervantes has stuck around with his own movelist, Hwang started with a borrowed movelist and was then superseded by Yun. The same could be said for Li-long, but then you'd have to say it for Rock and Mina as well -- and both of them have been pushed to unique movelists after having most of their moves stolen away. Slightly different for Lizardman and Sophie. Point being, with the state Hwang and Li-long were in for AE, there's no reason they can't be unique characters, and Hwang is a definite fan favourite.

Abyss is unlikely to ever return. Even though he played differently, he was still a Zas clone.

Dampierre? Well, he's a new character, and has a very interesting and unique playstyle. Can't see any reason to keep him out.

That just leaves the mimic or Olcadan character, who was completely missing from SC4.

Now what Namco should really do is take a page from SNK's handbook. They've come up with the perfect solution for old guest characters. You've already designed the movelist, why let it go to waste? It would be wonderful if Vader or Starkiller, or a combination of the two, could make it into SC5. They really had a lot going for them. Kratos as well, but he's already in the new Mortal Kombat game.

Page- on
    stream
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Here's an idea; a Soul Calibur without any guest fighters.

Henroid on
    edited December 2010
    I could see that happening. It's very possible.

No reason to toss out all the work they've put into past guest fighters, though. Some of them were really good.

And some of them were awful (Link).

Page- on
    stream
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. Honestly, some quest fighters do have decent fighting styles, so having them gone after their single game inclusion is very annoying. I really liked the way Darth Vader fought.

I think it would be great of Hwang returned, he was always my favorite character.

Dragkonias on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Link was fun and unfair. Also, if they're going to put in cameos, let it be Batman and Hellboy.

Henroid on
    edited December 2010
    Link was awful and also pretty bad.

I'd be down with Hellboy, though.

And if they do decide on a Final Fantasy cameo it had better be Squall, just because that would piss more people off.

Page- on
    stream
    edited December 2010
    Why? Squall is popular.

Maybe not Cloud popular, but he'd be just as welcomed in the game.

Now, you wanna piss people off? Put Vaan in.

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't want any guest characters. Guest characters in SC have always sucked, and I would rather they focus on the actual Soul Calibur characters. It boggles my mind. You have a fighting game with one of the coolest collective casts of all time, and you squander it pandering to Nintendo fanboys, Todd Mcfarlane fanboys, or star wars nerds? Screw that.

Geddoe on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

GOOD LORD NO.

Anyway, all this talk of Final Fantasy characters has me thinking of Ehrgeiz. Am I the only one? I think I may be the only one that even played that game.

Honestly, I think a SC without guest characters would be a good thing. And shit, I even liked Link.

mcdermott on
    edited December 2010
    Squall is popular, but Squall instead of Cloud? I'd bet there would be a reaction.

Guest characters are lame on the whole, but some of them have managed to be solid. Vader is a good character, so is The Apprentice.

Yoda is awful. Only good for annoying counterpicks.

I played Ehrgeiz in the arcades. It wasn't very popular, or that good. But at least it had some neat things going for it, wit the way movement was done and special moves were regulated. Kind of an Art of Fighting meets Power Stone.

Page- on
    stream
    edited December 2010
    Cloud's weapon kinda fits the bill for SC though.

Henroid on
    edited December 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

GOOD LORD NO.

Anyway, all this talk of Final Fantasy characters has me thinking of Ehrgeiz. Am I the only one? I think I may be the only one that even played that game.

You are not. Ehrgeiz was also made by Namco, and while Dissidia is currently catering to the FF fanboys' desire to put those characters in a fighting game, I still hope for a spiritual sequel on consoles.

It was just plain rad to have those characters as 3D fighters, and it's still pretty fun to play now. Also, Tifa was ridiculously overpowered in that game, and had several takedown moves that involved repeated hits to the crotch. For taking down Cloud and Sephiroth, there was no better way. :^:

Also, here's my list of custom characters. I need to update it with Terra and Celes, both creations which have received a lot of praise when I've played against PA folks.

Which by the way is something I'm totally down for soon.

• PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yoda is good only when it's a mirror match and you just want to watch stupid flailing around.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hope they let you set the stances to male/female for the Character creation. It was really annoying to have a cool looking guy character but use a female weapon.

urahonky on
    edited December 2010
    I've suffered through too many high level Yoda matches, mirrors included, to find any amusement in the character. He was shit from day one, and the worst character ever put into a Soulcalibur game.

Funny that Ehrgeiz was made by Namco. Half the characters and two thirds of the animations were stolen wholesale from Virtua Fighter.

Page- on
    stream
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Frankly, I would like to see them do away with the whole guest characters-thing.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Despite not being fond of McFarlane, Spawn had a pretty excellent move set. I think he's partly the basis for the modern Lizardman.

I'd also like to see other guest movesets integrated into standard Renaissance (Medieval?) characters; especially Heihachi and Vader.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited December 2010
    Vader, and The Apprentice to a lesser extent, had such a great and unique mechanic with the Force gauge and Force cancels. An aggressive Vader player is really scary. I'd love for another character to get that instead.

If Namco really needs to bring in the guest characters, they should to it in-house. I'm thinking Tales or uh . . . Ridge Racer.

Page- on
    stream
  • gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    People didn't like Link? I played him exclusively, and I even thought he fit into the universe fairly well (better than spawn or vader, at least). In SC3 and SC4, I actually picked up Cassandra, because her fighting style was the closest to Link I could find. I'll admit it was a little disturbing seeing Voldo hump his head, but that's all part of the soul calibur charm.

I don't have a huge problem with the guest characters, as long as they fit in to the game some extent. The Star Wars characters were just really out of place.

gnodab on
    edited December 2010
    It's not about disliking Link, it's that he was a bad character. Poorly designed and generally weak. At least Vader and The Apprentice are mid or upper-mid tier characters who offer up some neat mechanics and possibilities.

Page- on
    stream
    edited December 2010
    As far as returning/new characters go, as long as they replace Yoda and never put in a short character again, I'm happy if they keep the SW characters. Well, and I need Xianghua to return. I'd be sadfaced if she got cut. Since she's always been a series staple, I doubt that's going to happen anyway.

If they're going to bring back the Star Wars characters, they really need to allow people to Create-a-Soul with them.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    That was a LucasArts decision, unfortunately. In fact, it was LucasArts that got all pissy about Soulcalibur 4 breaking street date. They're quite strict about how other people handle their properties.

Page- on
    stream
    edited December 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    That was a LucasArts decision, unfortunately. In fact, it was LucasArts that got all pissy about Soulcalibur 4 breaking street date. They're quite strict about how other people handle their properties.

I'm honestly surprised nobody on Project Soul didn't simply put their foot down on that decision. "Yoda is short and will be unbalanced, why can't we put in Luke or Obi-Wan?"

Did nobody at LucasArts play GoldenEye against some asshole friend who chose Oddjob? Yoda being put in was definitely the worst mistake for Soul Calibur IV. LucasArts should apologize for making me break my controller.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2010
    It's just going to be a 3DS version, hopefully with playable Twilight Princess Link

Opium on
    edited December 2010
    Opium wrote: »
    It's just going to be a 3DS version, hopefully with playable Twilight Princess Link

FUCK YOU! Don't mess with my head. It was bad enough when BD was PSP only and they didn't update SCIV's console version... but if this prediction turned out to be true I'd be buying a plane ticket to go to Namco Bandai headquarters to do some unmentionable things.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Don't uncount your chickens after they've hatched. Broken Destiny was a poor substitute for the simple balance patches Soulcalibur 4 needed. For every problem it fixed it added two more, usually worse than the ones that came before.

Page- on
    stream
    edited December 2010
    Don't uncount your chickens after they've hatched. Broken Destiny was a poor substitute for the simple balance patches Soulcalibur 4 needed. For every problem it fixed it added two more, usually worse than the ones that came before.

Ahaha! I'll take your word on that Page, I never got a chance to play it. By the way, do you actually live in Toronto or nearby? If you're further east from Toronto (Durham) you should come on out to my buddies place to rock out some SCIV sometime.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm going to go ahead and predict they will replace Vader with Zero Suit Samus (both sci-fi icons)

And Yoda with Pikachu

Opium on
  • The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The reason I really hate the guest characters is because they all don't feel like they belong in the game. They should expand on the awesome cast they have already, but if they do put more guest in, at least make them valid choices. The Star wars characters just didn't belong in the SC universe. Netiher did Heihachi or Spawn. Bring in Kratos, one of the Belmonts, or even ugh.....Dante (Dante's Inferno Dante not DMC). At least they "fit" the SC time period and would all have a easy ways to tie them into the SC story line. I even think the create a character thing was a little overdone. It was cool that you get to create a fighter, but in the end all you get is a reskinned main character fighing in his underware with clown shoes and an S&M mask on his head using a rubber mallet for a weapon.

I've always loved the SC story line and characters, I just think it could be so much better than what it is if it took on a more serious tone and stayed consistent.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maybe they'll go the extra mile and put celebrities in this one.
    jackie-chan.jpg
    Not sorry.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited December 2010

Ahaha! I'll take your word on that Page, I never got a chance to play it. By the way, do you actually live in Toronto or nearby? If you're further east from Toronto (Durham) you should come on out to my buddies place to rock out some SCIV sometime.

Firmly in Toronto. Little chance of me getting to Durham, since I don't drive. :/

For a few examples of how Broken Destiny fixed things: They removed the basic Hilde Doom Combo and just replaced it with a shorter combo that didn't carry as far, but did ~70%+ damage. The one saving grace against Doom Combo was that it did crappy damage and offered a few chances for them to screw it up. They also managed to make a few characters who were already bad even worse, with Mina being the main example there.

There were only 2 good things about Broken Destiny. The first was Rock, and the second was Dampierre. Kratos was alright, but not as fun as either of those others.

Page- on
    stream
This discussion has been closed.