As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League: East [Now Over :(]

• BigShoesPleaseBigShoesPlease Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dear lord that patch is gorgeous. If thats the kind of thing we can expect for conquering the league then I am going to have to prepare a much more serious team. On the subject of Black & White I think it will serve as a nice contrast to the league matches we'll be having. Obviously a lot of trading will be going on, but it'll also be really fun to take a break and relax from the intensities of battling PAX gym leaders and instead just have some battles between people's story mode teams in Black and White.

BigShoesPlease on
    Elite 4 Member -PAX East Pokemon League 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just saw the release date - I'll bring my Japanese copy of B/W just so I can battle, but the league is still going to be in HG/SS. We actually predicted that B/W may be out by PAX, but it will be too new for everyone to reasonably be able to get a team of all level 50s.

So far I'm kicking a few ideas about the patches. A chunk of them are going to be used to identify the leaders, but you'll be able to get a hand on something with it if you're the best of the best [and while supplies last...]!

Heleor on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    I just saw the release date - I'll bring my Japanese copy of B/W just so I can battle, but the league is still going to be in HG/SS. We actually predicted that B/W may be out by PAX, but it will be too new for everyone to reasonably be able to get a team of all level 50s.

So far I'm kicking a few ideas about the patches. A chunk of them are going to be used to identify the leaders, but you'll be able to get a hand on something with it if you're the best of the best [and while supplies last...]!

You mean they have to be the very best, like no one ever was....

....also, I'll have a copy of B/W to throw down with in Exhibitions. I'll save all of my true hate and spite for HG/SS

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    The new thread is posted, our forums are thriving, the site is online, twittersphere is messaged, and I'm gonna go pass out now.

The horribly coded site!
    http://paxpokemonleague.com/

Our forums - come hang out with the leaders!
    http://paxpokemonleague.com/forum/

Twitter!
    http://twitter.com/PAXPokemon

Heleor on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can you guess who this is?
    shadow_1.png

Rdr on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    Can you guess who this is?

IT'S PIKACHU!

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited January 2011
    Someone beat you to it on twitter. XD

(It's Koffing.)

Heleor on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe a dumb question but I'm hoping to be able to participate in the battles at PAXEast.

I picked up Soul Silver about a week ago and I'm 6 badges into the first area of the game. If I play through the entire single player and get a well rounded team in terms of Pokemon types over level 50 will I be able to battle and have fun or will I get completed wiped off the planet if I don't work on breeding and IVs and EVs and all the other stuff in the OP the G&T Pokemon thread?

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited January 2011
    We have both casual and serious leaders. As long as your team is well-balanced type and move wise, you should have fun! Also, even though some leaders will be EV and IV trained, they still have the glaring weakness of all their Pokemon being weak to a specific type! :P

Heleor on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So which version of the new game is everyone getting? Even though it's coming out right before East I'll be bringing both Heart Gold and Pokemon White with me.

Gameshark on
    edited January 2011
    I wonder who these four are. Do you think they're elite? ;-)

elite_four.png

Heleor on
  • Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am excited for these pictures :3

Although I will have a giggle if they end up being overly dramatic rocket grunts XD

Blackfox138 on
  • BigShoesPleaseBigShoesPlease Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I already did a little guessing on Twitter, but wanna take a shot at more here. From left to right I'd say the first member's team is psychic or fighting based (I suspect fighting). 2nd is who I believe to be Giovanni. The 3rd one is the least obvious to me. Last is either Rock or Ground, or perhaps a mix of both? I'm really interested to see what kind of pokemon Giovanni will be rolling with. Poison/Dark with maybe some Ground or Fire presence thrown in? Either way I'm super excited to get hints for the gym leaders.

BigShoesPlease on
    Elite 4 Member -PAX East Pokemon League 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
    edited January 2011
    E4 are so dreamy :)

Gameshark on
  • e-lue-lu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We have both casual and serious leaders. As long as your team is well-balanced type and move wise, you should have fun! Also, even though some leaders will be EV and IV trained, they still have the glaring weakness of all their Pokemon being weak to a specific type! :P
    That's good to know Heleor. I think I'm in the same boat as Lindsey. Just started playing SS in preparation for the tournament and I'm a little worried about my non-competitiveness.

It certainly will not bother me to lose every battle, I'm more in it for the experience... but still, I don't want my entire team to get 1-hit KO'd every time.

e-lu on
    edited January 2011
    e-lu wrote: »
    That's good to know Heleor. I think I'm in the same boat as Lindsey. Just started playing SS in preparation for the tournament and I'm a little worried about my non-competitiveness.

It certainly will not bother me to lose every battle, I'm more in it for the experience... but still, I don't want my entire team to get 1-hit KO'd every time.

That's exactly how I feel - except I really do want to win one badge. My son is super impressed that I'm going to go and play pokemon against a bunch of other people just like in the game so I'd really hate to disappoint and bring back no proof!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • SweetwaterkillXSweetwaterkillX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do challengers need to sign up or register in advance?
    Can't wait for this!

Looking forward to pub-crawl too, hope its pokemon themed again! GO Team Squirtle, WOOO!

S

SweetwaterkillX on
    edited January 2011

Not at all, just

: show up to a meeting and get in line
    : find a leader walking around

Blackfox138 on
    edited January 2011
    e-lu wrote: »

That's exactly how I feel - except I really do want to win one badge. My son is super impressed that I'm going to go and play pokemon against a bunch of other people just like in the game so I'd really hate to disappoint and bring back no proof!

Hey, if at the end of the convention you only have a few badges let me know and I'll hook you up. I'm resuming my role as part of the E4 again, and we hardly give away any badges (I gave 5 outta 100 at Prime). You can tell him you defeated one of the E4 in epic fashion :)

Gameshark on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Not at all, just

: show up to a meeting and get in line
    : find a leader walking around

Also you can follow the PPL Twitter for updates on locations of leaders: @PAXPokemon

Rdr on
    edited January 2011
    This time around there will be at least some prizes for those that run the entire gauntlet and defeat the whole Elite Four. That's still in discussion, although I have some pretty spiffy hats for champions to wear.

Expect the final tournament to be sometime Sunday, probably after the closing ceremonies. You will be required to have defeated all four Elite Four to be eligible for the tournament.

Heleor on
    edited January 2011
    (As Heels suggested, probably in the Westin lobby!)

Heleor on
    edited January 2011
    Gameshark wrote: »
    Hey, if at the end of the convention you only have a few badges let me know and I'll hook you up. I'm resuming my role as part of the E4 again, and we hardly give away any badges (I gave 5 outta 100 at Prime). You can tell him you defeated one of the E4 in epic fashion :)

Thanks - that would be awesome!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't worry, there are a lot of us leaders who are casual types. If you do your best, you should definitely earn some badges!

Blah blah blah deep relationships with your pokemon blah blah blah strength in the power of friendship blah blah blah.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Propriety wrote: »
    Blah blah blah deep relationships with your pokemon blah blah blah strength in the power of friendship blah blah blah.

My pokemon understand me, dude. We have a deep, spiritual connection.

(note: being silly)

RainbowTunnel on
    edited January 2011
    It's great, silly is what we are!

In fact, to tease you all, here is the leader who will be revealed this weekend. :)
    leader_1.png

Heleor on
  • OuterHaven37OuterHaven37 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I'm trying me best to be just a moderately challenging leader. Let's just say I'll have plenty of badges.

OuterHaven37 on
    edited January 2011
    Propriety wrote: »

My pokemon understand me, dude. We have a deep, spiritual connection.

I have never seen such strong bonds with a pokemon. You are destined to go far, young one! PLEASE TAKE ALL OF MY BADGES. I WILL SHOWER YOU WITH THEM.

~

Oooooh. So mysterious. Who is that mystery leader?

No seriously, I have absolutely idea who it is. I'm going to go with my usual answer... it's a Jigglypuff, as seen from above.

Propriety on
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited January 2011
    MSPaint avatar creation ftw. Looks like I'm that mysterious E4.

Gameshark on
    edited January 2011
    We're currently working on the champion prizes, and we've finished one of them. Do you want this epic hat? All you have to do is defeat the league and you will get one of these, which grant you entry into the final tournament! *

championo.png

*While supplies last. This image was slightly photoshopped.

Heleor on
    edited January 2011
    dya.png

Welcome Cascade.

(And yes, we'll have pretty pictures of all the leaders.)

(Full info at http://paxpokemonleague.com/)

Heleor on
  • nitnitnitnit Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey there guys. I am a former competitive pokemon player. At my height I was literally in the top 5 battlers for the formerly popular forum Marriland.com

This is not to brag, but to rather say that I have some credentials.

I really want to take part in this event and have fun with you all, but there is one rule that is bugging me:

There may be only 1 of any of the following Pokémon on any team:

* 150 - Mewtwo
    * 249 - Lugia
    * 250 - Ho-Oh
    * 382 - Kyogre
    * 383 - Groudon
    * 384 - Rayquaza
    * 483 - Dialga
    * 484 - Palkia
    * 487 - Giratina

Is this saying you can have only one from the the list, or only one of each species? Either way, I implore you to straight out ban these pokemon. A well made Kyogre, Dialga, Palkia or Mewtwo is almost unstoppable against non-legendary pokemon. On the flip side, a Giratina can stall out and devastate the vast majority of non-uber pokemon.

The other question I have is how will you check for pokemon that are hacked? Will you be using a scanner like at Nintendo events, or just making sure the pokemon's stats/moves are within legal means?

Anyways sorry if I came off as pretentious or anything. I really really love pokemon, and at one time was a pretty impressive battler on the competitive scene; having said that I wish to lend my knowledge to you guys, and test the mettle of your league in March =)

nitnit on
  • iDEViNEiDEViNE Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    nitnit wrote: »
    Hey there guys. I am a former competitive pokemon player. At my height I was literally in the top 5 battlers for the formerly popular forum Marriland.com

This is not to brag, but to rather say that I have some credentials.

I really want to take part in this event and have fun with you all, but there is one rule that is bugging me:

There may be only 1 of any of the following Pokémon on any team:

* 150 - Mewtwo
    * 249 - Lugia
    * 250 - Ho-Oh
    * 382 - Kyogre
    * 383 - Groudon
    * 384 - Rayquaza
    * 483 - Dialga
    * 484 - Palkia
    * 487 - Giratina

Is this saying you can have only one from the the list, or only one of each species? Either way, I implore you to straight out ban these pokemon. A well made Kyogre, Dialga, Palkia or Mewtwo is almost unstoppable against non-legendary pokemon. On the flip side, a Giratina can stall out and devastate the vast majority of non-uber pokemon.

The other question I have is how will you check for pokemon that are hacked? Will you be using a scanner like at Nintendo events, or just making sure the pokemon's stats/moves are within legal means?

Anyways sorry if I came off as pretentious or anything. I really really love pokemon, and at one time was a pretty impressive battler on the competitive scene; having said that I wish to lend my knowledge to you guys, and test the mettle of your league in March =)
    They are saying you can only have one of those pokemon, in that entire list.

iDEViNE on
    edited January 2011
    Okay that's a bit better. I probably can't change their mind to outright ban them all... but I guarantee you that those who are taking this competitively are going to use a EV'd soft reset (IV'd) pokemon off that list and it's gonna suck for anyone that doesn't have a counter for it, lol

nitnit on
    edited January 2011
    That rule is to, in a way, emulate how in-game you (usually) get one legendary before fighting E4, ex: in Ruby you get Groudon before the 8th gym (or something like that). Also, that is the same "Restricted" List form VGC'10. Proof that we didn't pull a list out of nowhere XD

Competitively, yes they can steam roll most teams, but then again, any good EV/IV'd team can steam roll most mono-teams XD This event is made so that non-competitive players can enjoy themselves throughout the first few gyms and then (hopefully) competitive players can have fun when they face the E4.

Or something like that.

Blackfox138 on
    edited January 2011
    Hey nitnit!

This isn't an official Nintendo sponsored event, and it's not a tournament, so no, we're not going to have scanners or anything, and I don't think we're going to be checking people's stats. This is just a bunch of people doing something for the love of the game! We're going to be enjoying PAX just like you are... no time for checking stats!

That said, we're not completely stupid. I'm guessing it's at the discretion of the League, but if someone's Pokemon are super fishy, or they're not playing in the spirit of the event, I'm guessing gym leaders aren't going to be awarding them a badge. We're kind of trusting people to follow Wheaton's Law here. There's no major prize or anything, so the only thing to be won (besides some little badge pins) is a sense of accomplishment, and cheating, well, cheating robs one of that. Heleor can confirm everything (he's in charge!) but I think Wheaton's law is how it's going to go.

This is supposed to be fun. It's not supposed to be super competitive. After all, the gym leader's teams are mostly single types... as in the game. Just go into it looking to have fun, instead of to win, and everything will work out fine.

Propriety on
    edited January 2011
    There are two types of Pokemon players: Those who care about IVs, and the casuals. We're catering to both. ;)

It is very likely that there are certain Pokemon that are well within the rules, yet would completely destroy a leader's team. Honestly, that's not very fun, but it happens. It may even be luck that causes the win. A couple times at Prime, my entire team was swept by a Yanmega. Again, it happens.

We're going to assume Pokemon aren't hacked. If we suspect, we can ask, but that said, what can we do? If it's obviously hacked, we'll just bar you from the champion's tournament. I'm sure we have some players that would be able to tell when a stat is outside the normal distribution, or if a move is not possible to learn. Others of us, like me, are just here to have fun.

Even if the leaders aren't the best trainers, you're still going to have to track down eight of them and defeat them all, and then the Elite Four before you're even in the running for champion.

Heleor on
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the responses :)

I'm mostly worried about the use of those uber pokemon in the champion tournament. That isn't to say I'm underestimating the gym leaders/E4, but if it's only us regular players in the champion tournament anyone who doesn't use one of those pokemon is going to be at a major disadvantage :shock:

nitnit on
    edited January 2011
    The champion tournament is primarily for those that do end up beating everybody and still want to compete further. Everyone who makes it to that level will already be getting a small prize, and I assume people who beat 8 leaders and all 4 Elite Four (who will be competitive players themselves!) will have teams capable of taking down one of those Pokemon.

If we end up having any bigger prizes, they would likely be distributed as a raffle to everyone that shows up to the final tournament - not just competitors.

Heleor on
    edited January 2011
    I assume people who beat 8 leaders and all 4 Elite Four (who will be competitive players themselves!) will have teams capable of taking down one of those Pokemon.

heh...

I'm not really sure how to explain without being preachy how insane some of those ubers are against any non-uber pokemon. To put it into perspective, a properly made and played Kyogre, Giratina, Mewtwo, Palkia, or Dialga can only really be stopped by another uber without a ton of luck.

It's your event though! I know it's all for fun, and I do know I'm probably coming off as too serious, lol.

I'm just kind of fearing the champion tournament to end up being whoever came in with the best uber pokemon...

I'm game either way though =) and I appreciate all the efforts you guys are putting in - I just have a ton of experience with competitive pokemon and just want to help make this awesome idea work as well as possible :)

edit - just want to add Lugia to that list and mention that without Ice Shard on your team Rayquaza is almost unstoppable too.

nitnit on