As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: Damn. Got real up in that memory cave.

• kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love people getting all flustered that the characterizations are wrong when it is just the group as the basic Avengers team

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vision rules what the fuck is wrong with you people

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There's a D&D thread where they were talking about how you couldn't cast a black Captain America (as opposed to other racial changing for roles). They had a pretty good point due to the time period of his becoming a super hero and the military being segregated, but hey, I'd watch that movie anyway.

You could, but it'd be a completely different kind of story. Spider-Man? He's from a time and place where race wouldn't have to change the story in a massive way. Hell, it'd enhance the whole "can't catch a break" part of the character. Actually, most characters could be any race and the main story would still work. Ask DC, they've been killing characters and replacing them with ethnic stereotypes for years!

Black Cyclops.

Asian Wolverine.

Spanish Beast.

All of these work. And there is an Asian Wolverine. He's Wolverine's bastard son who's evil and replaces his father to work for a corrupt government-sponsored team of Avengers.

Captain Ultra on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am just really sad I didn't get to be one of the three ninjas. I could... be a ninja. *sniff*

OnTheLastCastle on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Damnit I really want in on either the 3 ninjas or friends theme but I guess the ninjas are taken? And all the friends are taken I think. And neither of them have pigs (I could have been tum tum)

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Something's been bugging me for over a year now. Community is the only instance in my life where someone has been offended by the term "Jew."

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I've never encountered that in any other media or in my personal experiences. And there was a sizable Jewish population at my high school.

It just strikes me as very unusual every time I watch that episode. Is that really a thing?

Jimothy on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Per Wikipedia:

"It is widely recognized that the attributive use of the noun Jew, in phrases such as Jew lawyer or Jew ethics, is both vulgar and highly offensive. In such contexts Jewish is the only acceptable possibility. Some people, however, have become so wary of this construction that they have extended the stigma to any use of Jew as a noun, a practice that carries risks of its own. In a sentence such as There are now several Jews on the council, which is unobjectionable, the substitution of a circumlocution like Jewish people or persons of Jewish background may in itself cause offense for seeming to imply that Jew has a negative connotation when used as a noun."

So Annie's just super uptight and objects to the noun? I guess.

Jimothy on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tum tum is not taken. lostwords refused

Langly on
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Then he choked on a jelly bean.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
    edited December 2010
    also i wonder if they'll ever note that community colleges are two years long, you can't get your bachelor's degree there.

Langly on
    edited December 2010
    i mean otherwise there's no distinction between that and a normal four year school.

Langly on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I heard about some community colleges starting to offer four year degrees now

But yes I don't know what the difference would be at that point

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whether it's Greendale CC or Greendale University, it's still Greendale.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    also i wonder if they'll ever note that community colleges are two years long, you can't get your bachelor's degree there.
    It should be painfully obvious that Dean Pelton isnt running things like a normal community college by now. Specifically the pool episode where he refers to greendale being like an Ivy League school for having a cool judges table.

I mean if you really wanted to you could probably find something about every episode that isnt like a normal community college.
    Metacortex wrote: »
    Whether it's Greendale CC or Greendale University, it's still Greendale.
    Except for that week when its envirodale :P

Bedlam on
    edited December 2010
    Well I mean, community college is a specific term, you can't just choose to make yours different. But that's not why I was saying anything. I don't care, I just thought it would be a hilarious end to the second season

Langly on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2010
    I think I heard about some community colleges starting to offer four year degrees now

But yes I don't know what the difference would be at that point

well the difference between getting into a community college and getting into a university would still be pretty big, for one

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2010
    Getting accredited to issue four year degrees involves not being a community college. You can teach at a community college with just a master's degree. You cannot at a four year institution, except as an adjunct and even they they prefer you to be working on a doctorate.

The only institution I am aware of that gives four year degrees at the community college level is one in alabama that is a two year junior/senior school. Which is a pretty neat idea.

Langly on
    edited December 2010
    Community here being a synonym for junior college, which is what people mean when they say community college.

Langly on
    edited December 2010
    Well I imagine they will address it. I highly doubt they would look over something like that given the attention to detail that's been present throughout. I'm sure it'll be hilarious however they deal with it.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Greendale retroactively loses accreditation for the last two years because [something hilarious involving the dean]

Jeff tries to fix it with his lawyer powers but throws the case because he's addicted to friendship

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm sure they could just jump over the issue by saying Greendale gives out undergraduate degrees.

It isn't something that would tear down the fabric of reality within the show.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Bedlam wrote: »
    whens the next damn episode airing?
    is it a mystery?

Bedlam on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jan 20. I think Community is staying at the same time. 30 Rock? is moving around to make the 3-hour comedy block. And Parks and Rec will be back!

captaink on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man I miss Parks & Rec so much

Centipede Damascus on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oooooh man, I got hooked on parks and req right after the season ended, watched it all straight through.

Then found out it wasnt coming back for forever. It was a sad day.

Lardalish on
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got hooked on Parks in the offseason too. Really excited for it's return.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    that is almost certainly nsfw

and images behind spoilers still load, sooooooooo

also that tumblr is pretty not funny

YaYa on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

every Ivy Tech Community College in Indiana offers 4 year degrees. But they are a shitty school

Bucketman on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_colleges_in_the_United_States#Bachelor.27s_degrees
    A growing trend in the United States is for community colleges to begin offering bachelor's degrees. At least fourteen states have authorized them to do so and others are considering the issue

You been wiki'd.

Khavall on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Something's been bugging me for over a year now. Community is the only instance in my life where someone has been offended by the term "Jew."

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I've never encountered that in any other media or in my personal experiences. And there was a sizable Jewish population at my high school.

It just strikes me as very unusual every time I watch that episode. Is that really a thing?

I've wondered about that before so I looked it up. Apparently 'jewess' is sometimes thought of as an offensive term too, but there's no reason for it. It is just Jew with the traditional female suffix. Both words feel weird to say because you know people have used it offensively in the past. So I think it's all in how you say it.

I like researching why certain words are offensive or not.

30 Rock's Puerto Rican joke is my favorite joke pointing out what you can and can't say.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited December 2010
    Khavall wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_colleges_in_the_United_States#Bachelor.27s_degrees
    A growing trend in the United States is for community colleges to begin offering bachelor's degrees. At least fourteen states have authorized them to do so and others are considering the issue

You been wiki'd.

Plus each season is a semester I think. That's 4 years of show right there.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

You been wiki'd.

Plus each season is a semester I think. That's 4 years of show right there.

Nope, they mentioned in the christmas episode that it was the end of the semester remember? And in season 1 they did the same thing, they took spanish 102 in the second half of the season.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dan Harmon tweets a lot so you should just ask him.

captaink on
  • tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

You been wiki'd.

If you read the wikipedia article, the colleges that do BA's have dropped the community/junior title from their name.

tastypastry on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

You been wiki'd.

If you read the wikipedia article, the colleges that do BA's have dropped the community/junior title from their name.

geendale is special

Raneados on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah each year of community is one year of classes for the group.

My guess is that it makes it to season 5: The new class with Jeff Winger failing some classes and mentoring some freshmen. Then it gets cancelled. Hard.

Bedlam on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Yeah each year of community is one year of classes for the group.

My guess is that it makes it to season 5: The new class with Jeff Winger failing some classes and mentoring some freshmen. Then it gets cancelled. Hard.

Community is not Saved By the Bell!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Not yet anyway.

Bedlam on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    eff you bedlam!

Raneados on
    edited December 2010
    Man I think I heard something.

Musta just been the wind...

Bedlam on