As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Soulcalibur 5] Thread glitched out. Make a new one.

• Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2010
    Dusda wrote: »
    Maybe they'll go the extra mile and put celebrities in this one.
    jackie-chan.jpg
    Not sorry.

Russell Crowe for DLC please

Opium on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This may seem obvious to most, but I believe the reason for the characters chosen had more to do with the console's associated color than anything else. Yoda is green and Darth Vader is black. Hopefully they choose a different gimmick this time.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The reason I really hate the guest characters is because they all don't feel like they belong in the game. They should expand on the awesome cast they have already, but if they do put more guest in, at least make them valid choices. The Star wars characters just didn't belong in the SC universe. Netiher did Heihachi or Spawn. Bring in Kratos, one of the Belmonts, or even ugh.....Dante (Dante's Inferno Dante not DMC). At least they "fit" the SC time period and would all have a easy ways to tie them into the SC story line.

I've always loved the SC story line and characters, I just think it could be so much better than what it is if it took on a more serious tone and stayed consistent.

I would like a game with a more serious tone in the style of pre-eclipse Berserk, but we at minimum have a comically evil Zombie Pirate. Maybe sci-fi clashes a bit much, but a gritty reboot would clash with about half the cast.
    I even think the create a character thing was a little overdone. It was cool that you get to create a fighter, but in the end all you get is a reskinned main character fighing in his underware with clown shoes and an S&M mask on his head using a rubber mallet for a weapon.
    Fuck you! My created characters are awesome.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2010
    Nitsua wrote: »
    This may seem obvious to most, but I believe the reason for the characters chosen had more to do with the console's associated color than anything else. Yoda is green and Darth Vader is black. Hopefully they choose a different gimmick this time.

I thought it was because Microsoft is Jedi and Sony is Sith

Opium on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nitsua wrote: »

Blue.
    Dusda wrote: »
    Maybe they'll go the extra mile and put celebrities in this one.
    jackie-chan.jpg
    Not sorry.

He's already in Tekken.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Soulcalibur storyline dropped ANY pretense of making sense around Soulcalibur 3, and Soulcalibur 4 was supposed to be the last in the series.

Don't hold your breath there. It was only a notch above Virtua Fighter's, which is 2 notches above Tekken's.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I look forward to Ivy being completely reworked again.

OH WAIT.

I DON'T.

:sadface:

At the very least, I hope Nightmare finally erodes and dies like he's supposed to have been like, 6 games ago, and we get Sophie/Ivy Nightmare (I will take either) dammit.

Hell I'll even take Nightmare still hanging around like Cervantes, only it doesn't have the actual Soul Edge. I'll TAKE THAT. PLEASE.

Transporter on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I look forward to Ivy being completely reworked again.

OH WAIT.

I DON'T.

:sadface:

At the very least, I hope Nightmare finally erodes and dies like he's supposed to have been like, 6 games ago, and we get Sophie/Ivy Nightmare (I will take either) dammit.

Hell I'll even take Nightmare still hanging around like Cervantes, only it doesn't have the actual Soul Edge. I'll TAKE THAT. PLEASE.

I totally look forward to Ivy being reworked (only because I want to see my friend who mains her cry). I hope they make it so parrying/GI causes her rape sword to tangle on the ground momentarily. Remove calamity dance. Nerf her amount of stuns/knockdowns.

Oh and take away her gazillion unblockables and spread them out among characters who only got one each.

Basically, I wouldn't have any problem with Ivy... or any character that has a lot of range if blocking didn't equal getting pushed back to the tip of their reach. Playing as a character with short or mid range can be pretty frustrating because you're spending all of your energy trying to stay in range. There's zero advantage to having less reach in this game.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Link is the best character.

GRAB PUNCH CANCEL HURRICANE SLACANCELBOWBOMBKICK LEAP BACK LEAP BACK LEAP BACK BOCANCEL HURRICANE SLASH!

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can't wait for people to bitch about Ivy. I am psyched though I enjoy SC even though I'm super casual
    They better make a better story mode though.

Link was awesome btw. If they did exclusive characters again though I'd prefer a Fire emblem character

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh that's not even the half of it.

The best Ivy's RUSH YOU INTO THE GROUND.

Seriously.

Pretty sure only a few character's have anything faster then Ivy's While rising+A. AND it force crouches.

Couple that with a fast as shit Down+B, and a decent While rising+B, the get out of jail free QCB+A, Forward B, K two for one stun and fun, and she's a goddamn salty bitch up close.

However all of this is meaningless when Sophitia is the most broken character in the history of anything.

Transporter on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why? Squall is popular.

Maybe not Cloud popular, but he'd be just as welcomed in the game.

Now, you wanna piss people off? Put Cait Sith in.

Fixed.

Although, then again, he'd make a good punching bag.

Anyway, if any FF characters would go after the two swords, it'd be Gilgamesh and Yuffie. Gilgamesh for obvious reasons, and Yuffie for the fact that she'd mistake the core of Siegfried's Soul Calibur for materia.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Another Soul Calibur?

Ever since 3, it seems like there's a lot of hype leading up to it, then it's released, and then...dead air.

Until the next SC is announced.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2010
    If they did exclusive characters again though I'd prefer a Fire emblem character
    Yawn.

This series is too crazy for something so boring. Midna would be a better fit and has awesome moveset potential

Opium on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Opium wrote: »
    If they did exclusive characters again though I'd prefer a Fire emblem character
    Yawn.

This series is too crazy for something so boring. Midna would be a better fit and has awesome moveset potential

And now I have a brain tumor

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yawn.

This series is too crazy for something so boring. [strike]Midna[/strike] Etna would be a better fit and has awesome moveset potential

If for no other reason than because we're already into the realm of anime bullshit, so let's just invite Nippon Ichi to the party.

templewulf on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    templewulf wrote: »
    Yawn.

This series is too crazy for something so boring. [strike]Midna[/strike] Etna would be a better fit and has awesome moveset potential

If for no other reason than because we're already into the realm of anime bullshit, so let's just invite Nippon Ichi to the party.

They partly did; Kamikirimusi from SCIV was 1) voiced by Etna's current English voice actress, 2) a female demon, and 3) had red hair.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh that's not even the half of it.

The best Ivy's RUSH YOU INTO THE GROUND.

Seriously.

Pretty sure only a few character's have anything faster then Ivy's While rising+A. AND it force crouches.

Couple that with a fast as shit Down+B, and a decent While rising+B, the get out of jail free QCB+A, Forward B, K two for one stun and fun, and she's a goddamn salty bitch up close.

However all of this is meaningless when Sophitia is the most broken character in the history of anything.
    Sophitia is pretty bad, but she doesn't have Ivy's insta-invisible unblockable and tracking soul gauge crushing moves.

Page- wrote: »
    The Soulcalibur storyline dropped ANY pretense of making sense around Soulcalibur 3, and Soulcalibur 4 was supposed to be the last in the series.

Don't hold your breath there. It was only a notch above Virtua Fighter's, which is 2 notches above Tekken's.
    The Soul Calibur series lost its historic epic feel after SC1. Soul Blade and SC1 had great storylines.

Tekken has a way out there story, but they've been consistent. VF has like no story at all, outside of the Virtua Fighter anime, English dub.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Like B:L said, SE and SC1 had plotlines well above any fighter of the time, to the point they would make a good RPG.

Then I think the priority shifted toward it being a fighting game, so they kind of gave up. Also, i think the idea of a fighting game kind of ruins and real plot once you hit enough sequels.

This series needs some kind of SF4 treatment. Reboot and cut the excess fat. Every well meaning fan knows SE SC1 and SC2 were the only good things in the series, culminating with SC2. I think something combining some of the awesome of SE with the solidarity of SC2 would be nice. Christ if SE wasnt so goddamned slow it would be an incredible game still.

SC4 saved the series IMO when it could have been dead in the water with how horrid 3 was. But it wasnt a great game, just good. If they are going the fan route, they might have a chance to fix it. But IMO what made SC2 so good was the many arcade releases that were basically beta tests for the real game. Dunno if that can happen again in this time.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Going the fan route? What does that even mean?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    voodoosporkvoodoospork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really hope this has netcode comparable to SSF4; I don't know if I could go back to how bad SC4 was online.

I also hope Raphiel makes the cut if there is one.

voodoospork on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There's no reason to cut main cast members at this point. Only characters who are on the maybe list, like Li-long, Algol, and Hwang.

Nightmare hasn't possessed the real Soul Edge for a while now. He's just a pale fragment. There's no reason some other character couldn't have Soul Edge while Nightmare still exists.

The story is so muddled and dumb now anyway, it's written like a sitcom. All that matters are the characters.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They could copy the story from an episode of That's So Raven if they wanted to, as long as my characters get some lovin'; i.e. no more random stance changes for Tira.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Tira's Jolly and Gloomy stances were a really great idea, just implemented poorly. She was such a dull character in 3, it was needed.

The random stance changes aren't the whole problem, it's that Gloomy doesn't give enough of an advantage to offset the self-damage drawback, and forced stance changes are unreliable.

What would be best is if the random stance shifts were integrated into certain canned combos in a way to allow the players to anticipate tech traps. It would be a wonderful extra layer for her, and make her more fun to play.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yoshimitsu is the best guest character.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    More of a tie-in character now, since the Yoshi in each series is a different individual.

Still neat, and nice when moves cross over.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm so excited for this.

SC has always been my favorite fighting game franchise.

I'm hardly a pro-level player, (this is probably why I can enjoy it so much). But I'm good enough to have really fun competitive matches with my friends with enough advanced stuff to make it interesting.

Sure, there are some balance issues, but we're not good enough to fully exploit them (G22 glitch in III) or choose not to abuse them (Hilde in IV.)

Favorite Soul Calibur moment: I'm at a game conference and there's a SCIV set up on a PS3. I tell my friends I'm going to play till I lose. Jump on, beat around a few people, get a 20 win streak going. One guy I beat goes and gets his friend who is a "pro" at the game. It's a girl so the small crowd gets riled up. The friend playfully taunts me "you're gonna get beat now." Switch to my main Cass and win the 5th round against her with an auto-GI and just frame it (WC 3B 4, which looks extra fancy). She was very gracious and we chatted later. Obviously a noob crowd, but it was the first time I was able to wow a crowd before, which was pretty neat.

I repeat my request for IV, please make Talim better.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Maybe they'll just bring back Talim's abusive 33a. Wouldn't that be fun.

Talim can still be a really hard character to deal with in Soulcalibur 4, especially if you don't know how unsafe she really is. If there were ever a series where looks could be deceiving, it was Soulcalibur.

I'd love for Mina to get all her good Soulcalibur 3 moves back. In fact, something should be done about the move discrepancy between Mina and Kilik, as well as Rock and Astaroth. Bad enough that the two originals have had their best moves usurped by their clone characters, but where they still share identical moves there are ridiculous disparities. Like why is Mina's 3a+b less useful, and less safe than Kilik's?

And there are some things that could definitely be mined from Soulcalibur 2. I'm fine with the loss of while landing moves, and even indifferent about Soul Charge, but we really need Soulcalibur 2-style Guard Crush back, and more cancels.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Having only played SC2 and 4, I hope they bring the charm of the former (still my favorite non-Smash Brothers fighting game to date). SC4 felt ... just lacking in several departments that I can't exactly pin down, I guess some of the new characters and outfits were just too ridiculous for my taste (and turn down the tits size and bounce physics damnit). Also, we need a proper single player mode again.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The netcode has to be as good or better then SSF4's. Better then VF would be amazing, but I will accept SSF4.

Otherwise, they're idiots and I hope it fails.

I know, I'm harsh this morning.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So indifferent toward the online. No matter how good the netcode is it won't be good enough. They'd have to rebalance half the moves in the game just to make it decent, and that's not worth it.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    And there are some things that could definitely be mined from Soulcalibur 2. I'm fine with the loss of while landing moves, and even indifferent about Soul Charge, but we really need Soulcalibur 2-style Guard Crush back, and more cancels.
    Wait, what was the 2-style GC? I don't remember the distinction.
    So indifferent toward the online. No matter how good the netcode is it won't be good enough. They'd have to rebalance half the moves in the game just to make it decent, and that's not worth it.
    The need for separate balance is especially clear with Amy. Offline, she's just better than average. Online, her stun combos, 66A+B, and 3BA are incredible. I can A+K,B all day long and never get called on it.

Really, I'm just used to the idea of distinct online tiers at this point, so it doesn't bother me. Just balance the game for offline, and we'll sort out the rest.

templewulf on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hope no fighting game ever tries to start balancing gameplay based on online.

That being said a better netcode would be appreciated.

As for stuff we could take from SC2, I agree. I like most of the additions that SC4 gave, but having move cancels and making guard crushes actually relevant instead of only good for a few characters would be cool.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In Soulcalibur 2 the post-Guard Crush state was basically a post-Guard Impact state. You could re-GI, but there was a huge negative for getting hit. Not sure, about Soulcalibur 2, but I think that's about +18 or 19.

In Soulcalibur 3 and 4 they reworked Guard Crush so that it was arbitrary. The blue lightning denotes nothing, and there are plenty of Guard Crush moves that are actually negative on block, it's just a cool visual effect to have.

Either keep the Guard Crush moves slow and risky like they were in Soulcalibur 2 -- and give them the appropriate reward -- or rework them so that they all make sense. Either system would do, but Soulcalibur 2's is easier.

Amy is really dangerous and obnoxious offline as well, and even then she depends on lows that are too fast to see, like 2b+k. You can anticipate, but it's impossible to react. Stuff like that is automatically x1000 more open to abuse online, no matter what the netcode or ping or lag. Add in that it has a very, very strict punishment window and you're doubling that multiplier.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, I've never been a huge SC fan, but I've always enjoyed the games, if that makes sense. I made a friend rage quit once and throw his controller after ring-outting him every.single.round. Started doing it to the next guy to play me until he started choosing stages with walls. I got owned pretty thoroughly after that.

I always liked the cameo characters, though I wasn't fond that they made them console exclusive for three.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Amy is really dangerous and obnoxious offline as well, and even then she depends on lows that are too fast to see, like 2b+k. You can anticipate, but it's impossible to react. Stuff like that is automatically x1000 more open to abuse online, no matter what the netcode or ping or lag. Add in that it has a very, very strict punishment window and you're doubling that multiplier.

I think we're saying the same thing. Though she's pretty good offline, she's basically unblockable online.

I don't particularly find her obnoxious, except for her long range, safe, tech crouching launcher that you can execute while running in any direction.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    She's generally considered top 5, the only thing really holding her back is her ubiquity; nobody doesn't know the matchup, nobody doesn't know the exact same 5 setups every Amy player will be using. It's extra points in her favour that even though everyone who plays against Amy knows exactly what's going to happen every second of the match, they still lose a lot.

That's also what makes her obnoxious, because when you lose it feels like it was you that made the mistake, not that the other player beat you. She's just a really stressful character to go up against, and higher level play is a lot to do about stress management. After 7 rounds you're spending so much time trying to anticipate 33b or 2b+k that you start dropping your own stuff.

Of course it also led to one of my favourite rivalries, before the other guy pussied out and retired.

Almost depressing to watch all the dumb mistakes.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Meh. Amy is kind of overrated. She's good but nowhere near the juggernaut people make her out to be. I mean honestly, the most annoying think about her is her 2B+K/33B mixup.

Really, not to mention her pressure starts to bleed together after a while, meaning more work for the player. Honestly, I think a lot of it is just people bitching because they can't handle her pressure, just like with most things.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well is able to dominate or hold her own at even the highest levels, and her mixups are such that even mediocre players can compete. Like I said, it's that everyone knows how to deal with her that is the main knock against her, other than that she has almost everything that made characters like Xianghua gross in Soulcalibur 3.

There are characters better than Amy, of course, but Hilde's overrated as well.

Look at it this way:

Has won a major?

Amy [x]
    Hilde [ ]

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's because Amy is actually a good character. Hilde is a subpar character with a very effective(and broken) gimmick.

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.