As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

McGibs' Painting Tutorial!

2»

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's a whole lot going on here as I experiment with trying out 20 new things at once, but here's my way of saying thanks for the tutorial. I think at least several things from your video will stick with me for a long time.

waarkgoosebyredraevynd2.jpg

(800 px won't break the h-scroll for folks, will it?)

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WAARK, I mean, nope.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey I just got my wacom working again, yay. I was wondering how do you get your outline brush to go thick to thin and dark to light so easily.

JeckalHyde on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JeckalHyde wrote: »
    Hey I just got my wacom working again, yay. I was wondering how do you get your outline brush to go thick to thin and dark to light so easily.

Set your size jitter and opacity jitter to 'pen pressure'. Both are found in your brush presets in photoshop.

Mustang on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    more tutorials please! this was easy to follow!

except for uh
    the masking thing
    you ... filtered? then flooded with black? i think i got lost there.

mully on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On the layer window there should be a button on the task bar that looks like this:
    Masking.png

The button in the middle will let you create a new mask layer that will allow you to modify stuff like contrast, brightness, etc.

If you then select the mask layer and fill it with black, it will simply cover up the effect of the masking layer, basically rendering it invisible. Erasing the black, or painting over it with white, allows the effect (say, a higher contrast) to show through. This lets you easily modify the contrast/curves of specific areas of the piece.

Uh, I think that may be exactly how it's explained in the video, so I don't know if that helps.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    Jonny O'sJonny O's Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    SquareBrushFail.jpg

I'm having trouble making your brush in PS. I'm doing all the steps that have been mentioned (I'm using Photoshop CS), but instead of ending up with a brush sample that is a solid black square (with rounded edges), which fades to left and right, I end up with the brush sample looking like a solid black jagged tilda.

How do you get the brush sample to be soft on the left and right sides?

Jonny O's on
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jonny O's wrote: »
    I'm having trouble making your brush in PS. I'm doing all the steps that have been mentioned (I'm using Photoshop CS), but instead of ending up with a brush sample that is a solid black square (with rounded edges), which fades to left and right, I end up with the brush sample looking like a solid black jagged tilda.

How do you get the brush sample to be soft on the left and right sides?

You can load brush presets from photoshop (they have square and rounded square brushes), or make your own (i think this was described earlier). Considering your brush looks like a ~ I'd try looking at the brush settings. Go to shape dynamics, set angle jitter control to "direction", make sure angle and roundness jitter are at 0% or your square will be angular and the brush wont come out smooth. Then just set your pressure sensitivity in transfer, and your brush should be good to go.

One problem I have is when I switch brushes, and come back to an old one, it will have taken some of the settings from the previous one. So if I switch from the square brush to a grainy pencil one and come back, it'll be all messed up. No idea how to get around this, but it does blow.

EDIT: from the looks of that picture, your square brush looks fine. Just set your opacity control to pressure, and make sure direction is ticked in shape dynamics, and it should be good

kevindee on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've been setting it to direction and set angle and roundness to 0%. It still comes out like a series of solid black squares. The only way to change that is to set flow to 15% (as suggsted in the video). My problem is that the brush sample initially doesn't look the way it's supposed to (IIRC, the soft edges on either side of his brush in his brush sample will determine how smooth the brush works).

The tutorials I've read tell me to just open a document and go Edit > Define Brush Preset, and this is what's happening...but a lot of those tutorials are just, "here's a stylistic stamp you can use" that's purely niche and not really applicable to painting/colouring.

Jonny O's on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll see if I can walk you through it:

1: make a new document about 100x100 pixels, and set the colour mode to grayscale.

2: use the 'rounded rectangle' tool (it's in with the rest of the shape tools) and set the radius (at the top bar) to 10px or so, if it isnt already.

3: Make a rounded rectangle roughly in the center of your canvas. This will be a vector shape, so right-click on the vector mask in the layer window (it should say 'shape 1') and click 'rasterize vector mask'.

4: Ctrl-click on the now-raserized mask, which will select the rounded rectangle shape. Goto Image/Crop. This will crop the edges to the shape if you didn't make it compleatly centered or to the edges.

4: Deselect the rectangle (ctrl D) and merge all the layers together (ctrl-shift-E).

5: Go to Edit/Define Brush Preset and call it "Round Square" or whatever. This is the stamp for your brush, but it doesnt have any of the actual brush properties.

6: Goto Window/Brush to open up the brush options. (make sure you have the brush tool selected or it will be grayed out)

7: Under 'Brush Tip Shape' you can see that your new brush stamp is selected. The 'Spacing' bar determines how fast it stamps out, and how smooth your brush will be (faster percentages may lead to computer slowdown). I have mine set to 5%.

8: Make sure 'Shape Dynamics' is checked, this is the properties of how the brush changes shape with your tablet. My values are:
    Size Jitter 0%
    Minimum Diameter 63%, control to Pen Presure
    Angle Jitter 0%, but make sure the control is set to Direction. This will make the brush rotate with your stylus.
    Roundness Jitter 0%, controls Off

9: In the Transfer tab, is some more options:
    Opactity Jitter 0%, control to Pen Pressure
    Flow Jitter 0%, contl to Pen Pressure.

10: Thats it for the brush properties (there's plenty of tutorials out there that go into more depth). Now set the brush opactity and flow (on the top bar) to 100% and 15% respectivly.

11: Now you should have my brush. To save it, click the brush preset button (the very first button on the left, on the top bar. it looks like a paintbrush.) This will pull down a list of saved brushes. Click 'create new tool preset' (the little paper button) and name your brush.

Finito!

Hopefully that helps!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thank you kind, king-of-kings. Your words have guided me to an excellent brush. My problem was that I didn't set Opacity Jitter or Flow Jitter to Pen Pressure.

Giggity! You are awesome! Thanks a ton, broski.

Edit: Thanks to Kevindee also!

Jonny O's on
  • Options
    CivilCivil Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Registered to thank you gibs, the video was of great help :)

Also, poor georgio, the guy you told to go away :D

Civil on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thanks for the tip on the brush direction. did not know that was there.

also, glad to see you do the same kind of color correction and hue layers. I've always felt like a little bit of a cheater when I do those.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for the great tutorial. I only just got 'round to watching it now. Just the right length/ amount of tricks.
    I never quite managed to get some descent colouring in PS, and i think what really bugged me were the round brushes... so unlike a real paintbrush.
    Your rotation tip really sounds like it'll solve that problem for me. Thanks a lot!

also: i finally get what Flow does!

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    this is a totally awesome tutorial, this brush is absolutely wonderful

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    oh hey, I came across this on Instructables the other day

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Drgon-Skull/

did you see this?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    this was delightful

it makes me wish my tablet PC had the guts to run Photoshop

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

did you see this?

Holy shit.

bombardier on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Iruka might be able to go as herself for halloween :D

That is so awesome.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bombardier wrote: »

did you see this?

Holy shit.

whoh, BADASS!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Dude, I want one.

Iruka on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for sharing, McGibs. I think your techniques will influence my paintings in the future.

Cheers!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    pscof42pscof42 Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Can anyone point me to a good rounded square brush like he's using? I found the square brushes, but they were hard squares. I made a rounded square brush myself, but it looks really jumpy. Not smooth at all.

Did you reduce the spacing? It defaults to 15%, set it to 1% and it should smooth.

Nice video Gibs!

Wow, there it is. I had to google it. I'm always in that panel, but I never saw that option. I thought it was just the title of all the other options or something. BLEEEEEEEEEH okay, my lines in photoshop look a lot nicer now. Haha.

Here I thought my equipment sucked. Brilliant.

pscof42 on