As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS preorderable at US Gamestops

13»

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was told FarCry 2 was bad, saw it for £8 and bought it, then totally got sucked into the whole world and loved every minute of it.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    After using my iPhone 4 since it came out, its really really hard to go to the DS. Especially my XL which has even bigger pixels. So here is hoping the 3DS makes old DS games look really good.

The problem is that the DS has a screen with a resolution smaller than your average $3 dumb phone.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    but then my most recent ex spoiled the final huge plot twist on our first date

Ouch. Hardcore gamer 4 reelz.

I'll probably wait the 6 or so months I usually do on a new handheld launch for them to actually get some titles out I want. And a decent color other then black, white or grey.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    but then my most recent ex spoiled the final huge plot twist on our first date

Ouch. Hardcore gamer 4 reelz.
    ...dynamic music?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So according to my friend's little brother (who works at Gamestop) they aren't taking preorders for it. But they do have Madden for the 3DS listed for launch on March 15th? The fuck?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    So according to my friend's little brother (who works at Gamestop) they aren't taking preorders for it. But they do have Madden for the 3DS listed for launch on March 15th? The fuck?

They are, the guy he was trying to make do it probably couldn't find it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It may be that not all Gamestops have been updated with 3DS reserves. In addition, it's at the discretion of the store manager whether or not the store will start taking preorders. Course, I have no idea why they wouldn't, but it's worth mentioning.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It may be that not all Gamestops have been updated with 3DS reserves. In addition, it's at the discretion of the store manager whether or not the store will start taking preorders. Course, I have no idea why they wouldn't, but it's worth mentioning.

Yeah I assumed that's the case that's going on. But I'm baffled at the release date for Madden.

Edit - And that's not a store-to-store thing; this is up on the Gamestop site.
    Edit Edit - The Madden thing is on the site, I mean.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    This looks really cool and all but I just don't know. I haven't turned my DS on in fucking forever, and it's been even longer since I bought any games for it.

It's a brand new system. Of course the older system is going to have a slowed rate of games towards the end of it's life.

That said, did anybody else have any difficulty placing a preorder today? I stopped by my Gamestop after work tonight, and the guys there didn't have a fucking clue what I was talking about. They even searched their system, and they didn't have a listing for the 3DS to place the preorder.

Engadget heals.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/26/nintendo-3ds-pre-orders-begin-at-gamestop-still-no-official-us/
    Should your local GameStop fail to recognize the autostereoscopic handheld's impending availability, just kindly ask them to consult their computer, find the SKU field, and type in the magic numbers "020132."

Thank you, good sir. I swung by again today after work, and the guy again couldn't find the option to pre-order in the system. I provided that SKU, and I was out of there within two minutes.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    After using my iPhone 4 since it came out, its really really hard to go to the DS. Especially my XL which has even bigger pixels. So here is hoping the 3DS makes old DS games look really good.

Ironically it's hard to use my iPhone 4 after playing my DS because there ain't no goddamn buttons. :P

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Infinity Blade on the iPhone 4 is so goddamned pretty. I'm not sure how I'll be able to go back to the DS line afterwards.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    3D isn't enough i guess?

because seriously. holy shit. 3D.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    3D isn't enough i guess?

I work in Home Theatre. I see 3D everyday on TVs, and there's usually a 50/50 chance it'll suck on any given demo. So, I'm keeping myself at cautiously optimistic until I get some hands-on time with it.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    3D isn't enough i guess?

Ehhhh, it's just 3D. I don't really care about it, I'd rather just have a beefier DS, hardware wise.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    hm. yeah glassesless 3D is like. the future to me. i guess i'm old.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    To me, the future would be a direct neural interface. Give me that and I'd be impressed. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3D gives me headaches

So to me, right now this sounds like "Headache inducing handheld"

Which is pretty much any handheld anyways

So maybe this will do it doubly fast

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    3D gives me headaches

Well, out of the dozen or so films I've seen in 3D (In Theme Parks & Local Theatres) the only that hasn't been a blurry, out of focus mess was Tron Legacy. Whether that was due to it being IMAX or what I don't know, but I've never seen 3D that was glassesless, so the jury's out on how effective the 3DS will be at the moment.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3D gives me headaches

Well, out of the dozen or so films I've seen in 3D (In Theme Parks & Local Theatres) the only that hasn't been a blurry, out of focus mess was Tron Legacy. Whether that was due to it being IMAX or what I don't know, but I've never seen 3D that was glassesless, so the jury's out on how effective the 3DS will be at the moment.

How's the jury out if everybody that has used it says it's great, including myself?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Because many of them have said that the optimal window for the 3D to be effective at all is a pretty small range

Hopefully there's a way to iron that out before release

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Because many of them have said that the optimal window for the 3D to be effective at all is a pretty small range

Hopefully there's a way to iron that out before release

You mean the range at which you would typically hold a handheld from your face?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The range that's different for everyone? Yep, that's the range I'm talking about.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    3D gives me headaches

How's the jury out if everybody that has used it says it's great, including myself?

Because some people say that they have absolutely no problem with 3D in movie theaters.

But almost every time I've seen a movie, including stuff like Captain EO at Walt Disney World, I almost consistently see double-images, as if I can see both images being projected onto the screen.

So you saying this looks great is great for you, but means nothing to me.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    3D gives me headaches

Because some people say that they have absolutely no problem with 3D in movie theaters.

But almost every time I've seen a movie, including stuff like Captain EO at Walt Disney World, I almost consistently see double-images, as if I can see both images being projected onto the screen.

So you mean the jury is out for yourself, ok that's a little different, because the way you stated it made it sound like nobody had any idea if it actually worked well or not in general.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yeah, but this uses a completely different technology, by which only the image for the left eye is sent in the left eye's direction and vice-versa.

Also, whilst some people say 3D in theatres is fine, there's an ever-present group of people who've criticised it: the feedback is hardly unanimously positive. So far, I haven't seen any hands-on reports that weren't totally positive about the 3D in the 3DS.

The only negative feedback I've seen is when people try to film it with a camera from inappropriate angles. Yes, it doesn't work from some angles: those are not angles people play at. It's rubbish for spectators, sure, but that's not generally a problem for handhelds.

Seol on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The range that's different for everyone? Yep, that's the range I'm talking about.

The range that isn't different enough to affect the viewing experience? Yeah, by all accounts it's not a factor. The trouble comes with horizontal tilt, so if you like to hold your handheld aimed 45 degrees to the left then I guess you'll have to turn the 3D slider all the way off and merely enjoy the nearly-360 level graphics in 2D.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had no idea this was going on... gonna make my wife go in first thing tomorrow and pre-order these for us if they're still doing it in the morning.

*crosses fingers*

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I had no idea this was going on... gonna make my wife go in first thing tomorrow and pre-order these for us if they're still doing it in the morning.

*crosses fingers*

Are you crossing them in threeee deeee? 8-)

The_Spaniard on