As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scott Pilgrim Thread 2: Now on DVD. TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hold out hope for the cute hipster girl that is DLC!

but no, i can't find anything anywhere that says something other than "later in november" for XBLA

Joolander on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ooh, this film has become available on Digital Versatile Disc in my country! I shall assist Universal in recovering the loss made at the cinema.

RMS Oceanic on
  • SovSov Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wish I could've seen this movie while it was in the theaters. Got it when it came out on Blu-ray/DVD and loved every minute of it. Guess my wife noticed, because she somehow managed to cram all six books into my stocking on Christmas morning.

<3

Sov on
    EVE - "tehtyrael", member of Merch
    TF2 - Currently "Sugarloaf Mountain Massacre", usually "Lieutenant Sov"

Per aspera ad astra
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Finally, the UK release.
    Managed to grab the last steelbook in the shop. Lovely looking thing.

Xagarath on
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I somehow managed to get my DVD quite a few days ago, which I was quite happy about.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I've seen the DVD in places I wouldn't expect; two of my brothers each had it (they didn't know it was a comic, prior), and one of my friends here has it. At least they don't crucify me for taking issues with the movie.

Henroid on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So yeah, I finished reading all six books and I watched all the deleted scenes last night.

Wow.

First off, I hated the alternate ending. So I'm glad they didn't use it. And while I think Mr. Wright made the right decision in cutting down the scenes where Ramona delivers the Amazon package as well as the date scene, I did get a little glee from the extended versions.

Also, the books were excellent. I don't think either version dilutes the other. Two totally different things, when you really think about it. And the movie ending was perfect. Very...
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-ish

Which is totally lost with the alternate
    Knives ending

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I liked
    the extended "first date" scenes on the swingset. It showed Ramona growing from disinterest in Scott to general affection more realistically than the movie did. Your mileage may vary based on who much you tolerate smokers, though.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Knives ending would of been much better.

It would of shown that Scott can finally let go of his pasts mistakes (which Romona represents) and move forward with his life.

Casually Hardcore on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am 99% certain that the symbolism goes in the exact opposite direction from that.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the knives ending bothers me because scott treats knives like shit the entire movie and if she takes him back then she's really failed to grow as a character at all

and also because ramona ends up completely getting the shaft for no good reason

Speed Racer on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Scott treated Knives pretty well up until Scott saw Romona.

Casually Hardcore on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

He keeps her at a distance when she's clearly interested in more. It's not necessarily poor treatment but it's not good treatment either.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2010

He keeps her at a distance when she's clearly interested in more. It's not necessarily poor treatment but it's not good treatment either.

To be fair, I assumed one of the reasons he kept her at a distance was because he didn't want his ass hauled off to jail. Mind you, I have no idea what the age of consent is in Canada, how worked up Canadians are about this sort of thing (but then, the movie was made primarily with American audiences intended,) or how important statutory rape laws are in a universe where murder is so damn casual. But I assumed Knives bringing up her birthday right after Scott had to dump her was there for a reason.

EmperorSeth on
    edited December 2010

"My 'Secret Lair' is kinda one of those 'no girls allowed' type deals"

it pretty clear right there that he's not actually interested in Knives, so much as the idea of having a girl interested inhim

Joolander on
    edited December 2010

To be fair, I assumed one of the reasons he kept her at a distance was because he didn't want his ass hauled off to jail. Mind you, I have no idea what the age of consent is in Canada, how worked up Canadians are about this sort of thing (but then, the movie was made primarily with American audiences intended,) or how important statutory rape laws are in a universe where murder is so damn casual. But I assumed Knives bringing up her birthday right after Scott had to dump her was there for a reason.

uhm...no I don't think so.

it's because Scott likes the idea of being in a relationship but is not emotionally ready to do so, nor is he truly interested in Knives

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2010
    hi5 zombie

Joolander on
    edited December 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    hi5 zombie

:D

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2010
    That's obviously Scott's treatment of the relationship, but i think the 17-year old aspect factored in as well. Certainly his friends wouldn't have freaked out as much if he kept on talking about the nineteen year old he was dating. I'd say it served as an excuse. He could say he's not really involved in the relationship because of her age, but in reality it's like you guys said; he didn't care about her so much as just being in a relationship in the first place.

EmperorSeth on
    edited December 2010
    That's obviously Scott's treatment of the relationship, but i think the 17-year old aspect factored in as well. Certainly his friends wouldn't have freaked out as much if he kept on talking about the nineteen year old he was dating. I'd say it served as an excuse. He could say he's not really involved in the relationship because of her age, but in reality it's like you guys said; he didn't care about her so much as just being in a relationship in the first place.

Yes but it's not because it's illegal.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yes but it's not because it's illegal.

"It's cool, like in Trainspotting"

chiasaur11 on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Saw this again Thursday night with 3 people who hadn't seen it. One of whom I was unsuccessful in convincing to go see it when it was out in theaters because he was really turned off by the trailer for whatever reason, and I all I had to go on for reasons was hype I'd absorbed from you guys.

Having seen it once and armed with some knowledge (he was really impressed by the fact that they physically swapped the sets in the bathroom scene, he loves behind the scenes movie stuff) I was able to convince him to give it a chance. They all had a blast.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guess what? The DLC for Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game is on XBox Live (finally)!

Man do I love the title screen theme for this game.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited December 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Guess what? The DLC for Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game is on XBox Live (finally)!

Man do I love the [every song] for this game.

agreeed, and fixed

and for the DLC, FINALLY!!

Joolander on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Man do I love the [every song] for this game. And the film. And pretty much anything related to Scott Pilgrim.

agreeed, and fixed

and for the DLC, FINALLY!!

Just a little further repair work.

chiasaur11 on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What does the DLC do for it?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Man do I love the title screen theme for this game.

its been there all week.

Deaderinred on
    edited December 2010
    what you are saying is that you knew, and didnt tell anyone

FOR SHAME, sir

Joolander on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what you are saying is that you knew, and didnt tell anyone

FOR SHAME, sir

i got distracted by streaming the hd version of scott pilgrim from xbox zune that i forgot to tell you guys. :lol: (on another note i know you north americans get netflix on live but over in the uk they seem have to updated the live zune player with a goddamn fuckton of movies now, they even have roger corman classics on there. before we used to get one or two movies updated a month)

Deaderinred on
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

uhm...no I don't think so.

it's because Scott likes the idea of being in a relationship but is not emotionally ready to do so, nor is he truly interested in Knives

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/05/01/crime-bill.html

For the record, age of consent in Canadia is 16, up from 14, where it was up until 2008 (well after the first few volumes of Scotty P. were written).

CowShark on
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh thank God, I've been waiting forever!

Knives is really tough. Like, tougher than Kim, but not as tough as Stills. I figured she'd be the quickest out of all of them, but then again I haven't maxed out her stats yet so I guess we'll just wait and see.

I'm also happy that I can enjoy this game without it freezing on me. Got to invite friends over sometime this week to play it with me.

BigBear on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I finally saw the original 'alternate' ending to Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I liked it.

Personally I felt that the ending itself was more "put together" than the one they went with. The Stacy Pilgrim phone conversation voice over, the slow-mo final game of Ninja Ninja Revolution, Romana's admission that she admired Knives, etc. Plus with the way that Ramona was presented in the movie, I don't feel like it's too much of a stretch that Scott would chose Knives over her, especially after realizing how devoted Knives had been to him. Also, some of the stuff they removed was really great and I'd wished they'd kept it.

* The 1-Up teleporting him back to him walking in on Wallace
    * Scott calling Gideon the second time around
    * Wallace's reaction to said phone conversation. Balls. Haha.

Ranadiel on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That stuff was more for pacing than anything. Yeah it's good but audience fatigue sets in if you have the last 20 minutes you watched get replayed again.

DarkPrimus on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The bit where Scott explains the hero's journey was funny but it would have completely killed the movie for most people.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I didn't dig as much even aside from the Knives bit at the end, myself.

I mean, the Stacey conversation and the Hero's journey joke undermined one of my favorite things about Scott Pilgrim.

All the crazy stuff is pretty much mundane. Sure, this is the biggest event in Scott's life, probably, but that's due to the relationship and the scale of the violence. The fact he kicked a dude in the head so hard he exploded is just another reason he's the best fighter in Ontario. Everyone being shocked works against that.

chiasaur11 on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I saw this a while ago, having almost no knowledge of what it was about, except that it had Michael Cera playing a different role than normal. It started off being a pretty decent comedy, but nothing new, although the editing was pretty good. Then Matthew Patel turns up, and what the fuuuuck.
    I've seen it around 5 times now in the last couple of weeks, and it is without a doubt my favourite movie of recent memory. Just ordered that big boxset of the comics, and the bluray, just need to grab the game now, but I think I'll leave that till after the comic.
    I've recommended it to a few people, but nobody else has seemed to care for it that much. I loved things like
    the final fantasy bassline being used in a bass battle against someone floating like Mewtwo, and a fight scene that starts as Soul Calibur and ends as Tekken
    but I guess that's a pretty specific taste they're appealing to.

Does anyone know where I could download this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMruFHTwrY

I've got the soundtrack, but it's a different singer, and I prefer this one.

AnteCantelope on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bought this on DvD with a gift card.

Woot, one sale closer to this being a successful film.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
    edited February 2011
    Thanks to the complete failure of my local comic book shop and a 70% off coupon from Barnes and Noble, I am now the proud owner of the comic book set for a mere $15. Now I'm just one video game away from being the complete Scott Pilgrim dork!

EmperorSeth on
    edited February 2011
    Thanks to the complete failure of my local comic book shop and a 70% off coupon from Barnes and Noble, I am now the proud owner of the comic book set for a mere $15. Now I'm just one video game away from being the complete Scott Pilgrim dork!

Same.

Wait, no. I may have the box set. I may have the color special. But I still am missing the plush toys and several other items of merchandise.

Need to get on that.

chiasaur11 on
    edited February 2011
    After seeing the movie, the book version was interesting.
    I will say that the Scott/Ramona relationship worked much better in the books. I loved the movie, but even I occasionally didn't get the main characters' relationship, especially her quick turnaround to thinking he's irritating to liking him. It felt more flirtatious from both sides in the book.

On the other hand, I liked the ending to the movie better than the books; the mind control/subspace stuff felt too needlessly complicated, maybe? I'd say I liked book 4 the best of the six; it was the most original to a movie watcher and probably had the most interesting conflict, with Lisa, Roxie, Mr. Chau, and a job wrecking Scott's shit at the same time.

EmperorSeth on