As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW:TOR] Both Guilds Now Open. Check Top of OP.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    as long as I don't have to deal with it, I don't care if it's in the game.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A bit late on seeing the Trooper vid, but the sudden interest in the Trooper because of Jennifer Hale has me a bit perplexed.

Didn't Hale also play Bastila? She could've been the voice of the female Jedi while referencing previous Bioware work. Although I suppose Mass Effect has gotten a bit bigger audience than KOTOR.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In all likelihood, Ms. Hale will probably be voicing MANY characters for TOR

VoodooV on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FemShep > Bastila.

also

Kaiden > Carth.

Though one could argue that's because both the VAs and the writers had more experience by that time.

Astale on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    FemShep > Bastila.

also

Kaiden > Carth.

Though one could argue that's because both the VAs and the writers had more experience by that time.

and also a better script

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As long as PVP isn't forced, I can dig it.

That was my issue with Aion..... well.... one of my issues with Aion. I hated that there was no PVE server. Yes I understand that the conflict is the focus of the game yadda yadda, but really?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Pretty sure PvP is all optional in TOR, but they haven't really sat down and talked about possible PvE/PvP servers or whatnot, so I can't say for certain.

All the stuff they've shown us so far was totally opt-in though.

Astale on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Devs should never be ashamed to look at other people's solutions to the same problem; wow solved the CC problem by giving the hero CC immunity after being locked out more then once and more importantly, an item/ability to break out of CC before its duration runs out.

Just steal the ideas, I for one won't be judging a person for not reinventing the wheel.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Or *shock & horror* seperate out the pve/pvp game so that abilities work differently in pvp to pve.

That way I won't get nerfed when pvp crybabies are whinging about tank abilities.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's the Xmas card from Bioware mythic that made me curious I know the game is being built by Bioware but is going to be ran [tiny] into the ground [/tiny] by EA in the end

Seeing how pvp was forced down our thorats in Warhammer I wonder if they have learned something for it

Brainleech on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's the Xmas card from Bioware mythic that made me curious I know the game is being built by Bioware but is going to be ran [tiny] into the ground [/tiny] by EA in the end

Seeing how pvp was forced down our thorats in Warhammer I wonder if they have learned something for it

Warhammer was always going to be a pvp game so that's a pretty redundant comparison.

That being said, I have not had that impression from the SWTOR team so far, with story being their main focus.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wouldn't the easiest fix to CC in PvP be lowering the time when used on players? I always thought you could have the same abilities just not as long. 1 sec stuns are still useful but don't let you lock a player up.

You could also put all stuning abilities on the same timer or something like that. if you use a stun you can't use another for 5 secs even if the ability you used has a 30 sec cooldown.

Or introduce a higher chance to miss with stuns. It felt like in wow that a rogue never missed with stuns or ever really. The critical hit feat in KOTOR only stunned if the player beat a roll or something.

If you are getting focused by 5 other players than you probably should die with all teh CC and dmg.

I also think that taunts should work in PvP. 2 seconds of being forced to auto attack a player instead of just being stunned seems a lot better and more immersive. I like the idea of tanks being able to taunt in PVP.

I've brought it up before and I'm sorry but games like dota and LOL are just pvp games game and a lot like the MMO play style. characters just get a handful abilities instead of a dozen. A pvp developer would do well to analyze those types of games to see how the basic elements of pvp play out and the see the different ways CC is done.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darth Hater found player stats that were PvP specific in one of their early podcasts, and at least one class had an ability called 'escape' which cancelled all CC effects cast on the player instantly.

Personally though I can't think of a single game that was balanced from launch day and expect it to be revised for months after it is released.

durax on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, we do know there will be pvp servers and pve servers, but I think people will care more about balance in BG like areas. Who else wants to be on a pvp server here? Personally, I want to for the sake of immersion. I don't want to run by a sith guy, tip my hat, and have us both be on our way. That would break immersion for me.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Since I am going to play a bounty hunter when it comes to pvp I think I will do the usual is it worth my time when I come to it.

Still my fear for a bounty hunter is I am going to look like I raided a hardware store for my armour. Thinking what it needed was a dryer duct or a toliet pump

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You gotta go pvp server all the way. Open PvP is some of the most fun you can have. Sure there are times when you're the one getting ganked but it goes both ways. Just being able to go after someone when they don't expect it even when they are your level is fun.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You gotta go pvp server all the way. Open PvP is some of the most fun you can have. Sure there are times when you're the one getting ganked but it goes both ways. Just being able to go after someone when they don't expect it even when they are your level is fun.

...and winning said matches when your the one that was attacked never fails to make you feel badass.

I remember when my SWG guild was moving to WoW and picked a PvP server, I was against it; I didn't want to be attacked at any given moment... But now I have to pick a PvP server if there is one available, and I don't even activly hunt other players, it's just the excitment.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    devCharles wrote: »
    That was an early problem in WoW as well.

No, it's still a problem. However, the solution is so fucking simple it pains me to wonder why they haven't fixed it.

Shamelessly stolen from CoX: Once crowd controlled you cannot be crowd controlled again for another blank seconds.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hah, enjoy both ganking and being ganked. I'll be enjoying the TOR stories safe and sound on carebear mountain with the rest of the wusses and parents with little time to play.

I will occasional make trips to the BGs though, when I want to remind myself why I play twitch games for PvP instead of MMOs. :)

Edit: And, sadly throw me in with the "I fear that non-Jedi class will be outnumbered" group.

Decoy on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    WoW does have pushback on CC, but you're already dead by the time it's instant.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    While I'll probably play on a pvp server for the immurshun I'm not really a fan of world pvp. Battlegrounds/scenarios/matches whatever you want to call them are far more my forte.

Really my problem with world pvp is that 99% of the matches are lvl.80 vs. lvl.32 or something. I remember during my short stint trying to get into WoW the lvl 20+ area (some forested area) had like five max level enemy players just camping right outside the towns killing every lowbie they could. Woo go world pvp?

I liked the WAR system far better, where each area was level gated somewhat, so while you could still get lvl.19 vs. lvl.12 with the level boost and some smart playing sometimes the 12 would win. Course for all the disparaging I think WAR has done an awful lot of the pvp stuff better than most mmos have, but some people seem to have a rabid hatred of it for whatever reason, so whatev.

Astale on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hope you can Force Push people off high cliffs in TOR. Doing that on my Shaman in WoW is some of the most fun that game has to offer.

reVerse on
  • Options
    cuellarcuellar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think one thing all the pvp folks forget is that "open pvp" has an excitement factor or danger that is simply lacking in the pve side of the game. Basically it is like a "random encounter" thrown in while you travel or are already fighting where there is a 50/50 chance you will win.

Considering most MMORPGs have most fights at 95/5 or something insane (you slaughter billions of mobs but never die), that random element of danger really does make a good challenge. In EQ, it was the random giant or griffon that WTFpwn'd you if you weren't paying attention. I think these are elements that can easily be introduced into the game without calling it "PvP" and coming with a whole shitton of balance elements required (and reward system). Hell, I remember back in EQ when we'd mob the shit out of lockjaw with 30 people just so he didn't slaughter us all.

For SW:TOR though, with the story elements it should be pretty easy to introduce this. You have an assassin or bounty hunter intercept you mid quest. And if you're picking your ass in town while ordering pizza on the phone, you get captured/killed. In a dungeon you can have a random "reinforcement" squad run in and attack you randomly... and if you weren't prepared and holding back some of your abilities, you get wiped. Basically it'd make the game more of a challenge if you are paying attention, and impossible if you're just on autopilot like a macro.

cuellar on
    "Fuck newbies. They deserve it for not being high enough level to fight back." - TDL
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You can't really do that though. It would be to complex or it would violate the certain game mechanics / ideals players need to enjoy the game. There is no way in hell I would enjoy being captured or assinated by some NPC/game event while i'm AFK and I don't want to have random encounters that make it so I can't turn the game off or go do what I want to do.

If this is caused by players that's fine I can log off or go somewhere else, wait for help, etc. But I know that it's pvp server and this happens.

Bottom line, if players are dicking you over tough, figure out a solution. If the game designer is dicking you over "F this shit, I'm not paying to randomly get ganked by a monster made to randomly gank me" (this assumes you're in the apporiate zone for your level)

Anyway, some other good open pvp moments come from having to share areas with the enemy and the tension when each side is camped out pulling mobs trying not to get to close to the other.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    cuellarcuellar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My point is not to randomly gank newbies (which even hardcore pvpers think is somewhat pointless), rather have a random element of suprise and require you to be prepared via some sort of challenge. Walking around Baldur's Gate has random encounters. A lot of quests and bosses have built in mechanics for suprises... they simply could implement it throughout the game in other situations, not just while you're afk.

My point regarding AFK is that a lot of open world quests and battling, especially early on is pretty boring shit. Like doing quests in the barrens is a total joke after a few times of doing it, and there is no element of excitement or suprise what so ever. Same goes for dungeons where everyone operates basically on autopilot.

cuellar on
    "Fuck newbies. They deserve it for not being high enough level to fight back." - TDL
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Really? Cos every single game I have ever played online, has high levels who think it is perfectly fine to camp low level players, and use every advantage to do so.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hope this doesn't de-evolve into every other PvE vs PvP discussion I've ever seen.

If it isn't already too late

VoodooV on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cuellar wrote: »
    My point is not to randomly gank newbies (which even hardcore pvpers think is somewhat pointless), rather have a random element of suprise and require you to be prepared via some sort of challenge. Walking around Baldur's Gate has random encounters. A lot of quests and bosses have built in mechanics for suprises... they simply could implement it throughout the game in other situations, not just while you're afk.

This is a load of shit. This is what is said but looking at a similar situation proves it to be nonsense. When WoW allowed disabling exp, but doing so put you in your own bg bracket with people who had done the same, those brackets quickly became largely a ghost town. In a turn of events shocking absolutely nobody, turns out that people running twinks really did enjoy stomping on non-twinks despite endless arguments on the forums that all they wanted was the more even playfield that low-levels allowed.

People on PvP servers (with exceptions obviously) like to gank. They like to be ganked (well, more specifically they like the added tension the potential to be ganked adds) and that is fine, but...
    cuellar wrote: »
    My point regarding AFK is that a lot of open world quests and battling, especially early on is pretty boring shit. Like doing quests in the barrens is a total joke after a few times of doing it, and there is no element of excitement or suprise what so ever. Same goes for dungeons where everyone operates basically on autopilot.

The endless problem with pvp is that it fucks over PvE in most of the games it's been in. I won't ever give a shit about your god damn pvp unless it gets my concussive grenade nerfed from 30 seconds to 10 in pve because what was fine in PvE is broken in PvP. If they do the smart thing and have abilities behave differently as necessary in pvp without killing the fun stuff in pve, then great! Us Carebears and ganking douchebags can hold hands and frolic together and enjoy our respective way of playing without shitting all over each other.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Exactly.

God damn I hate nerfs to my game cos of pvp.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Luckily, the PVP designer, in the interview with Darth Hater, said they were looking at different stats for PVP vs PVE. I think that really is the best solution to the problem. His exact quote:
    Darth Hater: What is your personal opinion on separate PvP stats for players?

Gabe Amatangelo: Just to be clear, we're not talking about specific PvP stats in Star Wars: The Old Republic. I think they definitely serve a purpose when you try to balance the PvE and the PvP progression in the game. If you want players to perform certain combat actions in a PvE arena but not to a certain extent in a PvP arena or vice versa, then a PvP stat is a good means to accomplish that. I think if it serves its purpose and implemented correctly, then it can be a good thing.

DH: Do you mean this is done so that players aren't running around one-shotting each other and to prolong the fights?

DA: Yes, that is one example of how a PvP stat can be useful. If you want your players to do X amount of damage in PvE, but that is too much given the progression of player health meters, then a PvP stat can be a good way to handle that. Of course not all game's character progressions end up in that kind of situation; it is really a case by case situation considering several factors inside a game's systems.

So they aren't talking about it yet, but the PVP designer does seem to like the idea of implementing it.

devCharles on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really think that's pretty much the only way to handle it without a constant refrain of nerf or buff from one playerbase or another.

It just must be complicated as fuck to redesign a stat/skill system for a small portion of the game, which is why it hasn't happened yet in anything I've played, at least.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can't really do that though. It would be to complex or it would violate the certain game mechanics / ideals players need to enjoy the game. There is no way in hell I would enjoy being captured or assinated by some NPC/game event while i'm AFK and I don't want to have random encounters that make it so I can't turn the game off or go do what I want to do.

Bottom line, if players are dicking you over tough, figure out a solution. If the game designer is dicking you over "F this shit, I'm not paying to randomly get ganked by a monster made to randomly gank me" (this assumes you're in the apporiate zone for your level)

See and for some sick reason I really do miss that with the modern MMO's. Yes in EQ you'd be level 15 in the level 15 zone killing orcs, and you had the very real possibility of your party getting jumped by a level 35 mob. I dunno it made it a bit more interesting. Right now the zones just feel too sterile. Ok for 10-12 you go to the northwest part, then to the east part for 14-15 and those are the ONLY ranges you see. To each their own I guess.

Namon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thing is - for a generally small portion of the playerbase, pvp'ers make a lot of noise.

Its def what happend in WoW and CoX, and fun stuff got destroyed because of the whining.

A pvp stat is more of a bandaid fix, what they need to do is have skills fully change in pvp. So instead of force choke being say a channeled damage dealer until the target is dead, it only lasts for 3 seconds against other players. If it is designed from the get go like thus, then we avoid the pvp stat not being enough and pve skills being nerfed.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So am I right in thinking that i can play this game on my own and group for the occasional change of pace? Or is it group up if you ever hope to complete missions at your level?

Cause I see stuff like crew and the story stuff which makes it seem like good ol'KOTOR and I like it.

Also on the lightsabers, in KOTOR and Jedi Outcast it was pretty much perfected lightsaber blur but in the videos I have seen its like early 2000's lightsaber trails from like the Episode 1 games. What gives?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrumbotTrumbot DJ On the one.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The developers have said that soloing from level 1 to level cap is definitely possible. You will miss group-specific content, but you could play this game with just you and your companions.
    Personally, being able to play a bioware rpg with other people at the same time is too mouth-watering a prospect to pass up.

Trumbot on
    10aeb40c239e9f62.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yes, but our subculture isn't exactly known for our group dynamics, so I can see where Bioware is coming from by offering that ability.

I feel bad for the people coming to this game without having already known people in a community. I feel that for every person going into a MMO though.

devCharles on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I started playing wow without ever knowing anybody. It will be nice to start an mmo with a guild at level 1. But it's always been easy to group with people at low levels and 'friend' them. Or group with people from a guild and join up with them. Then again I was capable of playing my class so it was easier since I didn't cause wipes etc.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    About time for me to start following this game again.

captaink on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does anybody know if there is a "Lightside Smartass" path in this game.

Because I want that for my Jedi. I hope that path of Sarcasm doesn't lead me to the darkside.

"Once Bitching about shit you start, forever will it dominate your destiny"

Rchanen on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    devCharles wrote: »
    Yes, but our subculture isn't exactly known for our group dynamics, so I can see where Bioware is coming from by offering that ability.

I feel bad for the people coming to this game without having already known people in a community. I feel that for every person going into a MMO though.

I can imagine Craigslist ads in the past. "Need a friend... to play with in an online game."

I'm just glad I found this great community with penny arcade and G&T. There are some amazing people here who are are helpful with pretty much anything in the games I've played even if you've never really talked to each other before.

I know when I start playing TOR and hardcore crafting that PA will get first dibs on all my wares and it will be awesome to know I can pretty much get a group together at any time to play with.:)

Khaczor on