As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tomb Raider: Trailer up on IGN. Looks like Uncharted: With A Woman

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    While I don't see multiplayer in Tomb Raider being particularly good (though there's always a chance that it could be), it very well may not have any impact on the single player one way or another. If the single player ends up being the exact same whether or not they include a multiplayer mode, then does it matter?

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    call of tomb raider strike

noooooooooooo

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    World of Warcroft?

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes

I like it

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nice, and not so nice. I brought Tomb raider legend and anniversary on PSP and under world on PS3 as the christmas PSN prices were a steal. Then I see that all crystal Dynamic Tomb Raiders are being re-released on PS3 as a HD collection. Hopefully like the prince of persia HD releases I can buy legend and anniversary on PS3.
    Underworld is surprisingly good, coming from some one that was turned off by the hatred it has receaived in online comments at review sites. Shame keeley Hawes won't be voicing the new Lara, based on the game informer podcast that had crystal dynamic people state they're still casting for new Lara.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Tomb_Raider_Trilogy_Confirmed_for_PS3/551-113866-585.html

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited December 2010
    She probably sounds a bit old for young lara.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    She probably sounds a bit old for young lara.

This. Keeley was my favourite Lara voice so far, but I don't think she'd fit this new, younger Lara at all.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh, god dammit. Guardian of Light crashed while it was loading and now apparently I have no save file. I lost all my unlocks! Fuck.

Bleh. It's a good game, even if I do hate it right now.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I also liked Keeley for the voice. But it's not too surprising, given that this is a reboot.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GI's hub site now has a bunch of screens:
    TR_Screen_11.jpg
    TR_Screen_13.jpg

Game looks pretty damn amazing.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I usually don't like Tomb Raider, but I think that's because when I was 7 I tried one and couldn't jump over a gap. This new one looks interesting. I read about it in my new Game Informer issue I bought yesterday (I also resubscribed to it).

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I've never been a fan but I'll definitely be getting this one.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Those screenshots looks really goddamn dark. I wonder if the rumors about it being a horror game are true.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Uh

They're not really rumors

You can read the full interview in Game Informer and it's pretty much true

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I haven't read the article, so I wouldn't know. Is it the whole Asian-inspired undead thing from the concept art?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't know about Asian-inspired, but definitely some horrible, gruesome stuff that's probably supernatural in nature, and the island is in the vicinity of Asia, so...yeah, it would seem they're going that route.

They talk about a sequence toward the beginning of the game where Lara is tied up and suspended in a sack, next to several corpses, and she has to swing herself into a nearby flame and set the cloth on fire to break free from it.

And then she falls to the ground and a metal spike punctures her side

It sounds like she's going to take a shit-ton of damage in the game, she's got blood somewhere on her in nearly every screenshot

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cool, thanks.

For the record, this was the monster concept art that was leaked about half a year ago:

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wouldn't be surprised

This game looks freaky as shit

But so good

Fuck this world for not inventing time travel yet

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The island's got a Marker on it, apparently.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I feel like that's referencing something

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dead space.

And that looks like the enemy design from that vaporware wii game "Sadness", which I was so so excited for. So I'm
    all for this.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My friend and I are having some weird issues with Guardian of Light coop. We can both play single player fine, but during multi, my character is normal (on both my screen and his) but his is zipping and sliding all over the place whenever he moves like a serious case of lag, and his character runs at half-speed so it looks like he's running through quicksand or something. This happens regardless of which of us invited, and on both our screens.

The Steam forums have similar complaints and others reporting no issue, but no solution. Is this just really shitty multiplayer, or random, or what? Anyone have any similar experience?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This might sound weird, but I'm kind of surprised by how much Lara Croft still looks like Lara Croft. I don't know why I'm surprised by that.
    My friend and I are having some weird issues with Guardian of Light coop. We can both play single player fine, but during multi, my character is normal (on both my screen and his) but his is zipping and sliding all over the place whenever he moves like a serious case of lag, and his character runs at half-speed so it looks like he's running through quicksand or something. This happens regardless of which of us invited, and on both our screens.

The Steam forums have similar complaints and others reporting no issue, but no solution. Is this just really shitty multiplayer, or random, or what? Anyone have any similar experience?
    I didn't usually have much issue when I was playing coop. It would flip out like that every once in a while, but only for a few seconds. I did have a lot of noticeable lag on item pickups and, to a lesser extent, the physics.

Monger on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it just me, or have they scaled back the boobage to a more realistic amount?

That would be a good thing, IMO.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's not just you

She's more in line with the average woman now

Though honestly, she wasn't that unrealistic in the Legend series

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    To me anyway, it looks like a pretty rational progression from Underworld, as Underworld moved from Legend. Particularly in the face and hair. They've moved away from the cartoony-ness of Legend too further. Sharper angles and the like.

Given that she's supposed to be younger, it seems fitting. I like it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This thread took forever to find. Anyway, I'm here now and I come bearing foreign spoken gifts! Namely, new scans from a french mag. I think it's french, didn't take a proper good look. Here it is.

Linking to it because scans are naughty, atleast they used to be.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Considering the fuss Crystal Dynamics made about the original reveal, I'm surprised they've taken so long getting anything else out about this

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I always find it exceedingly weird when publishers reveal a game and then only show it to the press. In this case the response has been almost uniformly positive; if it's ready to be shown to the press, it should also be ready to be shown to the public. Quit keeping it behind some shitty curtain.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I always felt the previous games didn't make you feel isolated enough. Like there was too much chatter. I think the first was good but the rest were all too busy. This seems to be heading in the same direction as the first. Hopefully.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Legend had a serious problem of not feeling isolated because, well, most of the time you weren't. Tokyo, Kazakhstan, South America--they were all the opposite of isolated, really.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well TR 2 wasn't too bad, but after that it was all sidekicks and long-winded speeches.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tomb Raider II didn't feel isolated either. Waves and waves of gun-totting enemies do that.

Tomb Raider III, on the other hand? Much better job feeling isolated compared to the second game. But after that, different story.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wasn't 3 the one with the Frenchman? its so difficult to remember

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    3 had a good feeling of isolation, but it was...pretty bad. The save thing really killed a lot of it, while the populated levels that it did have were just no fun.

2 and Legend still had the best mix of isolation and population, IMO.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    All I know is until very recently, Lara Croft murdered every living thing she came in contact with.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Incredible! A valley filled with actual dinosaurs! This is the archaeological find of the centur--"

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    3 had a good feeling of isolation, but it was...pretty bad. The save thing really killed a lot of it, while the populated levels that it did have were just no fun.

2 and Legend still had the best mix of isolation and population, IMO.

I disagree with you..honestly, the save system was a significant improvement over the previous games (its not the fault of the developers if players abuse the shit out of it), and the populated levels were significantly better than the long strung-out gunfights that characters almost all over 2. That's probably the reason why 3 was considered to be a top contender with the first one in the original trilogy when it came out.

Legend has next to no isolation. For every time you're alone, you're being chased by a fleet of mercenaries or Japanese mobsters or god knows what else. Literally. The game starts with about 20 minutes of isolation, and then about half that, if not more, if gunfigting with mobsters. Legend had a lot of strengths, but isolation was not one of them.

In many respects, it had the same problem as 2. As long as you don't care about isolation, it's not a problem, and the two dozen Japanese mobsters you have to fight on a Tokyo rooftop aren't a problem. Personally, while it's fun, I consider gunfights with Yakuza to be the opposite of isolation.
    All I know is until very recently, Lara Croft murdered every living thing she came in contact with.

The thing about Lara is that she's a sociopath (in that she demonstrates ASPD) more often than she not. It's a pretty big part of her character, perhaps a reminder that she's not Ms. Perfect.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    A gameplay trailer, finally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkBZ6kKeoTI&feature=youtu.be

It looks like they've dropped a lot of the horror angle. Most of it, in fact.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    That's probably the best looking Lara I've seen.