As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Steam lol | We have some classy gents here in this thread.

• Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ughh...... I got away yesterday without buying anything, and I thought I might today, but then DiRT2 shows up.....

Does anyone have any opinions? I loved the first one on 360. Does this one run pretty well on PC?

remlap13 on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I admit, Ive never played Crysis til I downloaded the demo to give the benchmark a shot.

I am impressed, not at the graphical side (Which is, indeed, impressive.) but at how fluid and fun the actual gameplay is. There is something distinctly satisfying about switching between the suit types to outmaneuver a group of four soldiers, shooting one execution style, grabbing the second as a meat shield, then gunning down the other two while the one in your grasp gets filled full of bullets in your place.

So why havent I ever been told this game was actually fun? It was always. OMG GRAPHICS. OMG LOOKS PRETTAH.

...Shits fun, man, maybe I'm just simple, but shits fun.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Part of me is tempted to grab Crysis at the low price now just to have it for when my new PC is built, even though I, too, have never really had any interest in it because I never heard anything about it besides as a benchmark.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just a follow-up on the Doom thing.

Doom was originally Shareware, where episode 1 was distributed for free, and you'd send in to get the full game of 3 episodes. When id signed a distribution deal with GT Interactive and released a retail package through them, they added a fourth episode and called it "The Ultimate Doom." Though they were super awesome and released the fourth episode for free in a patch as well.

A whole first episode for free to everyone, and then a whole new episode for free to all existing customers. That's some god damn good treatment of the consumer. Hilariously, the free trial of Ultimate Doom on Xbox Live only has the first two levels, rather than the whole first episode of 9 levels.

The industry has changed so much.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's a fun shooter. Nothing groundbreaking but it does open-world stuff pretty damn well.

And speaking of are there any euros up for doing a gift swap so I can get it for cheap?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, Crysis was a lot more fun than people gave it credit for. It was only a generic shooter if you tried playing it as one.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the responses! I'm working on my submission for fading's contest now.

Rhapsody on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So why havent I ever been told this game was actually fun? It was always. OMG GRAPHICS. OMG LOOKS PRETTAH.

Plenty of people have espoused how fun the game actually is. But we always get overshadowed by the OOGA BOOGA IT'S JUST A TECH DEMO FOR PC ELITIST GRAPHICS WHORES types, a lot of whom probably haven't even played the stupid thing. And also that widely-held idea that you need a super-ultra-monster PC just to run it, when that wasn't even true three years ago let alone now.

The guy in this video gets it though:

You can tell its old because it compares it to MW1

Zxerol on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Am I a fool for hoping VtM: Bloodlines goes on sale sometime during this?

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »
    Crysis:Warhead. Yay/Nay?

I liked Crysis if that matters. Not OMFG liked, but I thought it was a decent enough shooter that liked raping my video card.

It's Crysis, but a little bit more linear and with more explosions. Also, you play as Psycho.

Basically this. It's Crysis, but there's more action. If you dug Crysis there really isn't any reason why you wouldn't like Warhead.

It's certainly a more linear Crysis, for better or worse. For $5 it's quite recommendable either way.

It's $5 over there? It shows up as $7.50. Can anyone help me confirm if the Crysis' are priced differently. :?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so the RPS writeup seems pretty great, and i have a general soft spot for eastern developers. all that remains is to try the demo myself.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Doom was originally Shareware, where episode 1 was distributed for free, and you'd send in to get the full game of 3 episodes. When id signed a distribution deal with GT Interactive and released a retail package through them, they added a fourth episode and called it "The Ultimate Doom." Though they were super awesome and released the fourth episode for free in a patch as well.

A whole first episode for free to everyone, and then a whole new episode for free to all existing customers. That's some god damn good treatment of the consumer. Hilariously, the free trial of Ultimate Doom on Xbox Live only has the first two levels, rather than the whole first episode of 9 levels.

Sniff, sniff...I still have my 3.5" floppies of v 1.2 and v 1.666, ordered directly from iD. And the manual. Alas, the box is long gone.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I need tips for Mount and Blade.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Peff wrote: »

It's been a long, long time...

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is Global Agenda worth picking up?

Lep on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Probably as big a fool as me hoping the Eschalon books will go on sale :)

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    SamuelsonSamuelson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Klatu wrote: »

Wierd, I was hoping the same thing.

Samuelson on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think Bloodlines went on sale once. Last year, maybe.

I could have been hallucinating it, though.

Monger on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AnakinOU wrote: »

Sniff, sniff...I still have my 3.5" floppies of v 1.2 and v 1.666, ordered directly from iD. And the manual. Alas, the box is long gone.

Hi5, brah. I've still got my boxed-with-manual v1.2 on 3.5" floppies, complete with hex-edited installer that says my friend and I wrote the game! Got it at some computer show in the UK in what must've been early '94 or so. The box doesn't even have a barcode on it, but it's legit.

Jazz on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Samuelson wrote: »
    Klatu wrote: »

Wierd, I was hoping the same thing.

We can start a club, we'll make shirts.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

Plenty of people have espoused how fun the game actually is. But we always get overshadowed by the OOGA BOOGA IT'S JUST A TECH DEMO FOR PC ELITIST GRAPHICS WHORES types, a lot of whom probably haven't even played the stupid thing. And also that widely-held idea that you need a super-ultra-monster PC just to run it, when that wasn't even true three years ago let alone now.

Fuck it, you just made me buy this game.

I had not the slightest notion of buying this game at this time yesterday. Nor at 1pm when I saw today's dailies.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lep wrote: »

Dunno, but I bought it and it just finished downloading, so I'm about to find out!

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got a couple questions for IL-2 Sturmovik players.

1) Is a 360 controller suitable? I'm not too keen to buy a joystick.

2) The screenshots Steam provides aren't very flashy. However, I came across a trailer for the console-exclusive sequel, which looks much prettier.

ooo shiny

Are there any mods that would make IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 look more like that?

Fanda on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    KimFidler wrote: »

First, note that this game is not a licensed adaptation of the movie "Se7en."

Also, not the word "and". It is crucial that you do not mis-read it as "the."

Furthermore, "Mount" is a noun, not a verb, in the game title.

Anything else?

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fanda wrote: »

2) The screenshots Steam provides aren't very flashy. However, I came across a trailer for the console-exclusive sequel, which looks much prettier.

ooo shiny

1. Don't bother without a joystick.

2. Birds of Prey is not console exclusive and it's been a daily deal during this sale twice already (once last week and on the sunday best-of).

Gaslight on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Dunno, but I bought it and it just finished downloading, so I'm about to find out!

report back if there are still a decent amount of mans playing it

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »

2. Birds of Prey is not console exclusive and it's been a daily deal during this sale twice already (once last week and on the sunday best-of).

I can't find Birds of Prey on Steam at all, only 1946. Would you mind linking it?

Fanda on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AU$3.74 for Crysis?? Well, guess I've left it alone long enough even though I don't bother shooting many mans these days. Sold! *heaves into backlog*

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh God. I bought M&B and Kings Bounty and it's installing 5 games. Oh fuck me...

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dragon Knight Saga will go on daily deal during this sale.

I just have to keep believing hard enough.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    Oh God. I bought M&B and Kings Bounty and it's installing 5 games. Oh fuck me...

Don't worry about original Mount & Blade. Warband is basically the original improved and added upon.

Chronocide on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    KimFidler wrote: »

Thread! http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=132968
    You should ask what you have specific issues with - combat, what troops, what to do, etc.

Also a contest to win it!
    Repostin' this
    fading's Mount and Blade Complete Contest!

I think I have 200 hours into the two M&B's combined and so should you.
    Requirements:

1. Have you been around PA a bit?

2. Are you entirely new to M&B, or did you love the original and still need Warband?

3. Does one or more of these vidya pique your interest?

1:17 to 1:22?

Or perhaps 1:40 to 2:04 here?

Or is this more your style?

If you answered YES to all these questions, you need to win M&B! Or buy it if you lose.

Entries:
    A flipbook
    or comic
    or story
    in
    this
    format

You can use text, ascii art, MSPAINT, whatever you want.
    You can use as many or few nested tags as you want.
    Recommended themes are:

Mounts
    Blades
    Other

Contest ends no sooner than 2AM EST (about 12 hours from now) and may run into the morning tomorrow.

gl hf!

e~ALSO:
    PM me a link to your entry and give me your Steam email address or friend me.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I can't find Birds of Prey on Steam at all, only 1946. Would you mind linking it?

I think he meant the kludgily-titled Wings of Prey.

Jazz on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jazz wrote: »

Also note, it has essentially 3 layers of DRM attached with it (Wings of Prey). It has Steam <3, Frontline ProActive (3 activation limit), and another online registration if you want to play with others.

Shens on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

i asked this when the sale came up for today and got no real answer from anyone who actually plays

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Shens wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

Also note, it has essentially 3 layers of DRM attached with it (Wings of Prey). It has Steam <3, Frontline ProActive (3 activation limit), and another online registration if you want to play with others.

Ah, okay. So much for that, then.

Fanda on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

Pretty much all this. Crysis' biggest detractors usually lambasted it as a shallow tech demo with no actual substance to the gameplay. For most of people they were doing so without actually playing it, and just going off of word of mouth (which is why you're left with the impression that you had before actually playing the demo).

For others, well, they just didn't get the game. The other common refrain was that it was constantly derided as having dull and crap gameplay, and when you ask them how they played it, it's because they played it in a dull way, and then said "that's the ONLY real way to play it though".

The final point the dude makes in the video is simply spot on. In a game like Modern Warfare, whether you love it or hate it has nothing to do with how you actually play it. But with Crysis, it's all about how you play it. And if you insist on treating it like every other FPS and engaging it like it's just supposed to be linear gunfight after linear gunfight, with no impetus or thought on your part, then that is how it will play out. And then people whine because "OMG it takes so long to kill people becuz I'm firing pea-shooters and they're everywhere they see me from so far away and kill me so fast when I'm surrounded and there's 5 of them this SUXXX!!!"

Crysis isn't a linear set-piece driven game like Modern Warfare is. What it is is a toolbox. They give you the abilities and toys and the open plan levels which allow you to approach the game as you see fit. If you just doggedly stick to playing it the same as a corridor shooter as if it's Modern Warfare but set in the jungle, that is what it will become.

Also: quick tip: The silencer allows you to take shots largely unnoticed, however, it drastically cuts down on the damage you do. Not realistic, but it's done for balance purposes. In either case, a headshot is always lethal, unless you hit a helmet. If you're in a direct combat situation and everyone knows where you are (which will often be the case once firing starts), it's usually best to remove the silencer.

Also, when you're cloaked they can still see your attached flashlight, but for some reason can't see laser pointers. A little weird that one.

subedii on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That video is getting me more interested in Crysis. How's the MP in it? Can you do co-op open world stuff or is it linear?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    there's no co-op, as far as i know.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    fading's Mount and Blade Complete Contest!

I think I have 200 hours into the two M&B's combined and so should you.

Requirements:

1. Have you been around PA a bit?

2. Are you entirely new to M&B, or did you love the original and still need Warband?

3. Does one or more of these vidya pique your interest?

1:17 to 1:22?

Or perhaps 1:40 to 2:04 here?

Or is this more your style?

If you answered YES to all these questions, you need to win M&B! Or buy it if you lose.

Entries:
    A flipbook
    or comic
    or story
    in
    this
    format

You can use text, ascii art, MSPAINT, whatever you want.
    You can use as many or few nested tags as you want.
    Recommended themes are:

Mounts
    Blades
    Other

Contest ends no sooner than 2AM EST (about 12 hours from now) and may run into the morning tomorrow.

gl hf!

e~ALSO:
    PM me a link to your entry and give me your Steam email address or friend me.

Here's my submission:
    The Real Story of the Titanic
    pa1.jpg
    This is Jack, but we'll just call him Leo. He enjoys long walks on the beach, getting stuck in dreams, and running from Tom Hanks.
    pa2.jpg
    Ooo, pretty boat. This is the Titanic, you might have heard of it. Long story short, Leo sneaks on board. Isn't he a badass?
    pa3.jpg
    Leo meets Rose on the boat. She's outgoing, personable, and enjoys witty banter. Leo likes her for her...
    pa4.jpg
    personality :winky:
    pa5.jpg
    They talk...
    pa6.jpg
    They embrace...
    pa7.jpg
    They kiss...
    pa8.jpg
    But something's bothering Leo...
    pa9.jpg
    He ponders what his heart most desires and discovers that it's...
    pa10.jpg
    WARBAND!
    pa11.jpg
    But awww, snap. The boat's sinking! Time to GTFO
    pa12.jpg
    Leo says goodbye to Rose, tells her that he'll miss her...
    pa13.jpg
    And then rides away on a jetski to go play Warband
    But his heart will go on...

Rhapsody on