As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everybody post in the new [STEAM] thread.

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
gentlesteam.png
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND AT ALL TIMES THAT WE ARE NOT HERE TO HELP YOU NOT BUY GAMES. WE ARE HERE TO ENABLE YOUR HABIT.

We have a great bunch of people here on the site, many of whom give games to others out of the goodness of there own hearts, and to the detriment of their own wallets.
Gaslight wrote: »
Big Isy wrote: »
Haikira wrote: »
Bigisy is a classy dude!

Thanks a lot!

We all are!

I was gonna insert an image of some classy gents but GiS is coming up nasty D:

Outerwear.jpg

Just search for tophats, tophats are cruise control for classy.

I had a list of names here. Since I wasn't really following the last thread in order to avoid temptation (which failed, btw), I have no idea who has been giving games. I'm sure that pretty much everyone has and that makes everyone a winner.

Thanks guys!

Please also keep BigIsy in your thoughts, prayers, meditations, etc. His grandmother has not been doing well and we all want her to get better.

The rest of this post was created by, and completely stolen from, our good friend Suds.

pasteambanner.jpg

steamregulator.jpg

BIG OLD LIST OF GAMES ON SALE

steamlogom.png
20041015h.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

2. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

3. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

http://www.ddgamer.com/signatures.php. Select Avatar from the drop down list.

You need to delete your Avatar under:
Edit Avatar

Then add that URL in the Avatar URL field in:
Edit Your Details

Also, the border changes colour based on if you're online, offline or in-game.

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Sales Tracker
This is apparently a sortable list of all the cool stuff on Steam that you can narrow down via categories (like "on sale") but it may have ceased to work.

The Mis-Adventures of LewieP
As funny as the following comic is, LewieP does spend a lot of time looking for bargains, for us.
steamopedit.jpg

adventureoflewiep.jpg

The Steam Circle of Life
This image is from the SomethingAwful forums Steam thread. Hilariously enough it basically describes our Steam thread too:
steamsathread2.png

Steam iPhone App
You have an iPhone? That money could easily have been spent on Steam games. If you want to make the best of your shiny gadget, however, check out this Steam iPhone app. For less than the price of a grande mocha frappacino or whatever, you can buy an unofficial program (which appears to have been created by a PA guy who has not stepped forward if the Armadeaddon screengrab means anything) which does all sorts of Steam shit.

To top it all off, a comic by our own Iolo. It's fun-tastic!

peekandpoke.jpg

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just gonna settle in and get comfortable here. Think this will last us for the last 5 days of the sale or will we close this thread too?

The butcher's bill for me so far:

Bought

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - Director's Cut
    Titan Quest Gold
    Crysis Maximum Edition

Gifted

The Ball (Orikae)
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - Director's Cut (TNTrooper)
    Team Fortress 2 (Big Isy)

Received

Darksiders (Big Isy)

Gaslight on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did I miss any people giving the gift of Kings Bounty earlier? :P

Rizzi on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hello. My name is Kuribo's Shoe and I'm a Steam Addict. I am going to play all the single player games on my steam list to completion and write about each one.

I will only be playing anything I own before January 1st (which is when I'm going to start), so, if you are interested in putting me through torment, friend me on steam, read the blog, and gift me whatever horrible or wonderful thing you so desire by Dec. 31st.

Or, you know

just watch the car crash

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • RVK250RVK250 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If there's any interesting deals tomorrow, I'ma go ahead and buy that Unreal pack

RVK250 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What are the chances of an Orange Box, Beat Hazard, Left 4 Dead, and Dead Space sale? I don't have a lot left that I can spend on sales and I've been hoping those would all go on sale

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    edited December 2010
    For someone who doesn't give a shit about neither Warhammer nor football, but is intrigued by Blood Bowl...

Is it any good?

RVK250 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I bought Sim City 4. It's looking like it's not going to play nice with windows 7 on my netbook, but I have an old XP laptop that'll work just fine I'm sure. I just have to pull it out of retirement.

Also, I may not be be buying much of anything else because I just blew all my Christmas money on a second dog.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    edited December 2010
    Stragint wrote: »
    What are the chances of an Orange Box, Beat Hazard, Left 4 Dead, and Dead Space sale? I don't have a lot left that I can spend on sales and I've been hoping those would all go on sale

I thought some of those already went on sale, but I could be wrong.

RVK250 on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2010

Beat Hazard is already on sale as part of the Indie Beat Pack. Half what it usually costs by itself plus you get four other games you may enjoy (though not Audiosurf sadly).

Gaslight on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    From the last thread:
    Drake wrote: »
    How do I get my stone dude in DA:O? I just have vanilla.

Also, suggestions for characters? So far I played the origin for a human warrior and most of an elf magi.

You need the Golem DLC. Can't recall what it's called, but I think it has Stone in the title.

The Stone Prisoner. You need to buy it through the Bioware social site with Bioware Funbucks.

It's well worth it. Arguably the best DLC for the game.

The Stone Prisoner is free DLC for all new copies of Dragon Age: Origins.

I didn't buy my copy from Steam, so I don't know how they handle it, but check under product keys and you should be able to enter it on the Bioware site and download it for free.

Lawndart on
    edited December 2010

Beat Hazard is already on sale as part of the Indie Beat Pack. Half what it usually costs by itself plus you get four other games you may enjoy (though not Audiosurf sadly).

I fortunately already have Audiosurf, it was gifted by a friend a while back. So they wont do a specific Beat Hazard sale for less then it goes for in the pack? I'm not really sure how it works since I've never really been active on Steam

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got my new vid card today and installed it. I have now started Downloadpocalypse.

This is like the worst time of year for me to try to download all of my big, graphically intense games.

But I must Crysis, and Space Asshole and hunt for artifacts in The Zone and then there needs to be Bordering in the Lands.

Drake on
  • John the SkrullJohn the Skrull Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    RVK250 wrote: »
    For someone who doesn't give a shit about neither Warhammer nor football, but is intrigued by Blood Bowl...

Is it any good?

From someone who doesn't give a shit about warhammer or american football: yes. Mind you, I'd played the tabletop version of the game once when I was young, and quite enjoyed it, so maybe I'm bias somehow, but I've found it very fun, over the last few days, to find a race I like the playstyle of, build my team and take on challengers. It's interesting in that even lost games don't always feel like a total washout. I never felt like reloading a game to win a lost match. So yeah, I love it. I think it's great. And I haven't even tried the multi, which I hear is very fun.

That said, you do need to pretty much sit down and learn the full rules of the game, in order to get the hang of it. And the team management is very fantasy football-ish, so if that puts you off, it might not be for you.

John the Skrull on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Have any of the deals expired? Seems likeall the items I've looked at stay at there sale price even after the count down ends.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The availability of SimCity 4 at its current price is tempting me, but I am fairly certain I will not play it. The last SimCity I put any real time into was also the first SimCity on my Mac Plus about 20 years ago.

SteevL on
    edited December 2010

I fortunately already have Audiosurf, it was gifted by a friend a while back. So they wont do a specific Beat Hazard sale for less then it goes for in the pack? I'm not really sure how it works since I've never really been active on Steam

There's a chance since they've plucked a couple of indie titles out of the packs and made them dailies by themselves but I'd say the odds aren't great.
    Lawndart wrote:
    The Stone Prisoner is free DLC for all new copies of Dragon Age: Origins.

I didn't buy my copy from Steam, so I don't know how they handle it, but check under product keys and you should be able to enter it on the Bioware site and download it for free.

I remember it was a little confusing getting mine to activate and start downloading at first. I think I was only entering the key in-game and needed to go do it on the Bioware site or something.

Gaslight on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For anyone who might be in the Killing Floor PA clan, can you send me an invite? I posted in the official thread, but it seems to be dead at the moment.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For anyone who might be in the Killing Floor FPA clan, can you send me an invite? I posted in the official thread, but it seems to be dead at the moment.

People still play Killzone?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Think the only game that I'm looking forward to now is Amnesia.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For anyone who might be in the Killing Floor FPA clan, can you send me an invite? I posted in the official thread, but it seems to be dead at the moment.

Not quick enough, buddy.

Seriously, KF is good fun, and I want to play with PA folks.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So i wanna thank Iolo for gifting me Borderlands. I just realized it now when i opened my email :!: Thanks man :wink:

AdditionalPylons on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Not quick enough, buddy.

You bastard.

It said Killzone when I was typing my reply...

Descendant X on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SimCity IV crashes oh nooooooooes

adytum on
    edited December 2010

There's a chance since they've plucked a couple of indie titles out of the packs and made them dailies by themselves but I'd say the odds aren't great.

I suppose I'll hold out till the 2nd and see which of those four games I can get for the $20 I have left. If anything I'm getting Orange Box and Beat Hazard for sure

Stragint on

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    adytum wrote: »

From what I read online Sim City doesn't really work with Windows 7.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just gonna settle in and get comfortable here. Think this will last us for the last 5 days of the sale or will we close this thread too?

I give this thread 2 days at the most :) Doubt it will make the remaining time of the sales.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There is a Mechwarrior mod for Crysis?! Shit.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can't you just compatibility mode?

Jintor on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Elin wrote: »

I don't know about Windows 7, but it definitely doesn't like multi-core processors or modern video cards. It's a shame.

Fats on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fats wrote: »

I don't know about Windows 7, but it definitely doesn't like multi-core processors or modern video cards. It's a shame.

Aaww man, that's a shame.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Klatu wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »

Aaww man, that's a shame.

Downloading now. We'll see if I can't get it going. Hopefully I didn't just waste money...

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I leave tomorrow, won't be back until after the sale. You guys have been extraordinarily awesome.

Also, I just finished the story to Just Cause 2. Ending played out almost exactly how I was expecting. That was simply the logical conclusion.

I have not gifted as much as I should, but I have no job, so I take solace in the fact that all of you enable a lot more than me.

Fencingsax on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of disappointments, Civilization 3 won't work on my netbook. Not because my netbook isn't hefty enough to run it, but because it will only launch at 1024x768 resolution.

My netbook can only do 1024x600 resolution. There's a way to fiddle with some .ini file to get it to launch, but then the bottom stripe of the screen won't display. And that's where a bunch of the "click this button to go to the next screen" buttons are.

*sigh*

Lawndart on
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    After beating Machinarium I've got a hankering for Point and Click adventure games, are there any good ones on steam (besides the monkey islands)?

Inkyblots on
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    After beating Machinarium I've got a hankering for Point and Click adventure games, are there any good ones on steam (besides the monkey islands)?

Sam and Max?

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Have you ever played Full Throttle? You should play Full Throttle. I don't know if it's on Steam or not, though.

Fats on
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Lost Horizon is currently on daily deal for $10.

Catshade on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

The 3 seasons of sam and max.

Loom

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

-SPI- on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Not quick enough, buddy.

What's your Steam info?

Drake on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hello my name is Iolo and I have a problem.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
This discussion has been closed.