As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS or PSP Repurchase - Help Me Decide!

datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
Now that Christmas has come and gone and I have myself some spare cash, I'm looking at buying either a DS or a PSP. But here's the catch - I've actually owned both before at one point or another. The PSP was more recent; I believe I got rid of that one a little over a year ago. The DS was probably another year before that.

So... I'm familiar with both of the system's back catalogs, but I'm not sure of the current "state of the system" of each device. I'm looking to see which system has had a stronger last year or two.

Also, is now a bad time to buy? The 3DS is coming soon, but if rumors are true it looks like it'd be WAY more than I'd want to spend on a handheld. Plus I've heard the PSP2 is coming soon too. And on the DS side, is the XL worth the extra dough, or is a regular DSi fine?

tl;dr: I'm on the fence between the two systems having owned both in the past. I need pushed one way or the other.

datac0re on

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    On the games front, the DS has a larger and more varied library than the PSP, mostly due to it's increased popularity, but the PSP has more than enough gems in its library than you likely have time to even play.

The DSiXL is a nice system, and naturally it's better because of it's larger screen and better speakers, but you have to factor in portability. If you plan on attaching your DS to your hip and taking it everywhere you go, you have to realize that the XL is almost like a small netbook as far as portability goes...not something you can fit in most pockets.

Check out your local Best Buy, most have a endcap display with the DSi and XL next to one another if you want to compare the two.

As far as the PSP goes, I highly recommend the PSP go due to the improved form factor and portability, but you have to factor in whether or not the games you want to play are available on the PSN store.

Edit: As far as the 3DS factor goes, you have 6 years worth of a DS library to play from...even if the 3DS drops tomorrow I'd recommend getting a standard DS if you couldn't afford the 3DS because you'll never run out of stuff to play.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd recommend trying to save for the 3DS. As MZ says, the DS has a 6 year library to pick from, and the 3DS is backwards compatible with it, and will have a future 6 year library to choose from as well.

I think it's a bad time to buy at this moment. At the very least, wait until the 3DS comes out and get a look at its launch titles, try a store demo unit, see if it's something you'd want to invest in.

Don't wait for the PSP2, it's still a long way off and initial rumors make it sound as if it'd be even more expensive than the 3DS. I don't know if the PSP got enough of the right kind of mindshare the first time around to make developers flock to it, anyway.

If you're pretty adamant that you're not going to be able to afford it, then I'd still go with a DSi. DS games are still cheaper than PSP games in many cases, and the DSi download library has enough cool games available for it to be worth it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    On the games front, the DS has a larger and more varied library than the PSP, mostly due to it's increased popularity, but the PSP has more than enough gems in its library than you likely have time to even play.

Yeah. The PSP has multiple solid entries in every genre. It even has a decent strategy/SRPG lineup, a genre that is sorely lacking on home consoles (Field Commander, Valkyria Chronicles, Lord of the Rings Tactics, and Final Fantasy Tactics come to mind). If you throw in the hefty amount of PS1 Classics that are available from the PSN the library grows even more.
    Edit: As far as the 3DS factor goes, you have 6 years worth of a DS library to play from...even if the 3DS drops tomorrow I'd recommend getting a standard DS if you couldn't afford the 3DS because you'll never run out of stuff to play.

Yeah. If you snag a DS Lite you've got the mammoth DS library to contend with, plus the mammoth GBA library as well.

So basically, no matter which one you bought, even if the PSP2 and 3DS were both released tomorrow you'd still have a crapload of awesome games in front of you.

If you're on a budget remember that DS games do drop in price about as often as Glenn Beck says something intelligent, so you're likely going to be paying full price even for older games, whereas PSP games are marked down naturally, and there is a huge selection of awesome games for $20 or less. There is also a pretty extensive selection of PSP games available on the PSN.

That said, a lot of used game stores have marked down most or all of their GBA selection in an attempt to get rid of stock, so now would be a good time to stock up on good GBA games before they become too hard to find.

So, flip a coin.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd say waiting is the best option, but if you really want to get yourself something now get a PSP so that when you inevitably get suckered into getting the 3DSLite or 3DSi you'll have access to the PSP, DS, and 3DS libraries in the end instead of having a DS that just sits there uselessly after you upgrade.

Darlan on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, flip a coin.

To fall back on tried and true G&T advice: flip a coin, but don't look at the result - briefly consider whether you're secretly hoping for the coin to come up one way or the other, and then forget the coin and buy the system you were hoping for.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    dirkdirdendirkdirden Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What do you play?

Coin flip is probably the best way to go if you play everything.

DS is the way to go for Puzzle and multiplayer.
    PSP is the way to go for Racing and shooters like Metal Gear.
    A tie for JRPG's/rpgs.

I own both as I play JRPG's.

dirkdirden on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DS has more and better games. It's always worth getting. But yeah, I'd wait for the 3ds.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Add another vote to wait for the 3DS. If you owned both before yet got rid of them I'm not sure why you would be better off this time around.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I own both a DS-lite (which I've had for a while) and PSP (which I just got for Christmas). Right now the PSP is taking shiny new toy billing, but it also has the advantage of the playstation network. Seriously you just plug in the psp-3000 and download games to it. So far I have final fantasy 7-9, symphony of the night, and final fantasy tactics. Thats like 6 months of gaming right there and all together they were about 40$

It's very hard to beat that in terms of convenience factor, I wouldn't get a go though, not being able to use ANY UMDs is a pretty big handicap.

The DS was pretty much my favorite handheld with DQ IX, but it's lost it's luster a little bit recently in the face of the number of full PS1 games on the PSP/PSN and remakes.

Truth be told, I also don't find myself missing the second screen in lieu of a single, higher quality one, and before I got the psp, I hadn't realized how much the DS touchscreen even being there pisses me off, I'd rather have a control stick any day.

reddeath on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're interested in the 3DS itself, you should definitely wait a month before you decide. We'll probably know most of the launch details by then.

I wouldn't let backward compatibility be a big factor in my choice, personally. The 3DS won't be optimal for playing regular DS games. At the very least, the screen resolution and the analog thingy/dpad placement are problematic. And this is Nintendo, so there are bound to be more issues. I'd get a DSi if I just wanted to play DS games.

Edit: The DS Lite sucks. It's passable if you want to spend as little money as possible, but the DSi's dpad and buttons are so much better, and they don't fall apart from normal use. Nintendo still doesn't know how to make L/R buttons that work, though.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're interested in the 3DS itself, you should definitely wait a month before you decide. We'll probably know most of the launch details by then.

I wouldn't let backward compatibility be a big factor in my choice, personally. The 3DS won't be optimal for playing regular DS games. At the very least, the screen resolution and the analog thingy/dpad placement are problematic. And this is Nintendo, so there are bound to be more issues. I'd get a DSi if I just wanted to play DS games.

Edit: The DS Lite sucks. It's passable if you want to spend as little money as possible, but the DSi's dpad and buttons are so much better, and they don't fall apart from normal use. Nintendo still doesn't know how to make L/R buttons that work, though.

I've had a DS Lite since they came out and mine still works fine. For my money it's the best bet. Biggest library between DS & GBA beats out the marginal improvements in the DSi & XL any day.

HeraldS on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    HeraldS wrote: »

I've had a DS Lite since they came out and mine still works fine. For my money it's the best bet. Biggest library between DS & GBA beats out the marginal improvements in the DSi & XL any day.

I prefer the DSi/GBM combo myself. :P

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have purchased and repurchased both several times. At this point, I don't even bother choosing because I know whichever one I get, I'm going to get the other eventually as well.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    See, I was leaning slightly towards the DS for the bigger library, but my problem with waiting for the 3DS is that I've heard it's going to be around a $250-300 price point, which is WAY more than I'd spend on a handheld.

The last DS I had was the original fat one. Is the main difference between the Lite and DSi the ability to play GBA games and the DSiWare store? Because I have to say, I browsed through what was available on the DSIWare store and I was extremely unimpressed.

datac0re on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The main difference between the DS Lite and the DSi is that the DSi has a great d-pad and the DS Lite has a mushy piece of crap there instead.

As far as the price of the 3DS, we only know the price for Japan. Wait a few weeks and we'll probably know the actual price.

Edit: And the DS Lite breaks and falls apart from normal use. Anecdotally, every DS Lite I've seen older than a year has a serious hinge crack, and two of them have actually broken in half because of it. Mine is close to falling apart.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The difference between the DS Phat and Lite was massive. I had the DS Lite hinge crack, but I thought the D-pad was just fine and the Lite as a whole was fantastic. I can't really remember any difference with the DSi D-pad, but I will say that aside from a scant few games, DSiWare really isn't all that great, or at least nothing has really caught my eye (the Art Style games are great, though). The larger screen is nice, though, plus the ability to adjust screen brightness on the fly, so really I'd recommend DS Lite or DSi depending on how important GBA compatibility is.

As someone who owns both a DS and PSP, I think the DS definitely had a better past few years, but Sporky is right in that now is a really rough time to try and buy into anything; we'll most likely get US release info on the 3DS on Jan. 19, but I would say the $250-$300 price will probably stick. As far as PSP2 news, who knows when that'll come out.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I own a DS Lite and believe it really does come down to the games. The DS has a lot of different genres but for the most part nothing that is similar to a console experience. From what i've seen the PSP seems to have more titles closer to that of a console experience. I often use my DS Lite to play games in quick spurts.

However, I agree with everyone who says you should wait. I would wait for more information on the 3DS especially before buying a DS Lite. I would not at all be surprised to see the 3DS launch at 229 or higher, however it is backward compatible. In the case of a PSP I don't think we will see anything about a PSP2 for awhile because to this point everything seems to be rumors.

If you do choose to buy one or the other I would say think about which you preferred when you had them in the past and purchase that system.

nevermore13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well I took the plunge and ended up getting a black DSi along with Super Scribblenauts, Picross 3D, and Dragon Quest IX.

So far I've only tried out Super Scribblenauts. Holy crap that game is fun! I don't think I'm going to get to the other two for awhile :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

datac0re on