As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everybody post in the new [STEAM] thread.

• InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I forgot about Sam and Max, looks like my cup of tea, not sure about Lost Horizon I guess I could try the demo though!

Inkyblots on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Steamy....

I'm still trying to figure out all this bioware dlc stuff. I'm logged in and found where it shows my registered stuff which includes blood dragon armor (ME2/DAO), stone prisoner, embri's many pockets and the lucky stone. None of them have a download link at the end (ME2 armor does, but none of the DAO things).
    Any ideas?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Speaking of disappointments, Civilization 3 won't work on my netbook. Not because my netbook isn't hefty enough to run it, but because it will only launch at 1024x768 resolution.

My netbook can only do 1024x600 resolution. There's a way to fiddle with some .ini file to get it to launch, but then the bottom stripe of the screen won't display. And that's where a bunch of the "click this button to go to the next screen" buttons are.

*sigh*

It's been awhile since I played Civ 3, but I remember that the UI was very moddable. Daresay you could move the minimap and status box up to the top, and then make do with hotkeys for anything else that gets cut off. If I still had it installed I'd see if I could bang something together for you.

Fanda on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    Klatu wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »
    Elin wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    SimCity IV crashes oh nooooooooes

From what I read online Sim City doesn't really work with Windows 7.

I don't know about Windows 7, but it definitely doesn't like multi-core processors or modern video cards. It's a shame.

Aaww man, that's a shame.

Downloading now. We'll see if I can't get it going. Hopefully I didn't just waste money...

Windows 7 forums
    potato wrote:
    Understood, but in reality SC4 really isn't "fully compatible".

The status of the game was set by Microsoft as "incompatible" throughout the Beta and RC period of Win 7 development and even until quite recently (before the official release this past October). The compatibility change on the Microsoft site was a rather recent change (occurred between late Sept and mid October). What's changed in the OS? Nothing really. The same version of the OS that went on sale Oct 22 was already available to MSDN subscribers since late August. So it's rather strange that Microsoft would change the compatibility while nothing's changed in the OS itself.

I've had the game for a long time and really enjoy it playing on XP. Tried the game on various versions of Windows 7 and have yet to enjoy a positive experience playing SC4... Tried so many possible methods; software configurations - game installation (plug-in/add-in incompatibility perhaps?), OS tweaking - administrator mode, compatibility mode, different OS versions (x86 v x64; Pro v. Ult); different hardware configurations ... Still get choppy play, crashes, game hanging, rebooting my system ... Weird.

Oddly enough, some folks out there experience no problems, yet the playing experience for the greater majority remains rather an elusive hit-or-miss proposition (mostly miss) and they contend with game crashes, graphics glitches, slowdowns, complete lack of responsiveness and other issues.

Not pleasant.

Been searching high and low for a solution to the various problems encountered when playing this game, but haven't found anything concrete yet.... unfortunately.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nevermind, got it figured out. Opened DAO and went into the DLC section and it started downloading my things.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    I forgot about Sam and Max, looks like my cup of tea, not sure about Lost Horizon I guess I could try the demo though!

Also Back to the Future: The Game just came out. From the people that brought you Sam and Max. Plus some of the people who brought you Back to the Future: The Movies

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And The Secret of Monkey Isle games are on steam.

SkutSkut on
  • BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have had no problems with Sim City 4 running. I have Windows 7, i5 duo core, and a decent video card.

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just played some Darksiders. It's not really clicking with me, though that might be because I'm all confused as to whether it's an action game or not.

Jintor on
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Has anyone played the Back to the Future game? Opinions?

Inkyblots on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Just played some Darksiders. It's not really clicking with me, though that might be because I'm all confused as to whether it's an action game or not.

It's a basically a Zelda game with a little more robust, DMC-esque combat system. So think it of that way.

Zxerol on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    Hello my name is Iolo and I have a problem.

Hello, Iolo. Is your problem about yourself, or about giving too much?

Fencingsax on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Has anyone played the Back to the Future game? Opinions?

Have you seen the GiantBomb Quicklook?
    http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-back-to-the-future-the-game/17-3631/

Fencingsax on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    So I'm trying to find a suitable indie pack to gift, but I need games that:

1. aren't timed or are timed very generously (at least for the most part)
    2. don't really have any sort of story or plot to understand the game
    3. rely almost exclusively on the mouse for control
    4. (optional) can be paused (or left alone for indefinite periods) at will

I'm going for a pong-like level of simplicity here. Something similar to Bejeweled 2 (...but not Puzzle Quest which is too complex or has too much superfluous stuff) or Zuma (although probably not quite as hectic). Hopefully I'm not relegated to Zen of Sudoku.

So...any ideas? Even if just 1 or 2 games out of the pack meets the criteria (or possibly if it's not even in a pack).

Maybe Galcon?

Galcon looks interesting, but I fear it may appear to complex in this case (yes, even though it looks like it's just lots of clicking on circles to have your triangles attack).

President Rex on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

It's a basically a Zelda game with a little more robust, DMC-esque combat system. So think it of that way.
    And the combat is kind of terrible at the beginning of the game. It gets decent later on. But still. It's a Zelda game.

Also, I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.

Monger on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    After beating Machinarium I've got a hankering for Point and Click adventure games, are there any good ones on steam (besides the monkey islands)?

The Dig! But really, get The Lucasarts Adventure Pack for $5.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm still amazed that NWN2 can keep pulling me back in.

"Look, I know you played a lot before and then you were distracted and never came back. Its cool. Now, take a look at this cool Spirit Shaman here. He looks fun doesn't he?"

God dammit, leave me alone game!

Docshifty on
  • NovafoxNovafox Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, Company of Heroes. I'm not a huge fan of RTS games, but I enjoyed the C&C, Red Alert, and Dawn of War games (excluding DoW II and Chaos Rising, haven't gotten to play them yet.) I've been told I'm missing an awesome game here, and though I doubt they'll get any cheaper on Steam than they already are, should I pick these up?

Y/N?

Novafox on
    steam_sig.png
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Novafox wrote: »
    So, Company of Heroes. I'm not a huge fan of RTS games, but I enjoyed the C&C, Red Alert, and Dawn of War games (excluding DoW II and Chaos Rising, haven't gotten to play them yet.) I've been told I'm missing an awesome game here, and though I doubt they'll get any cheaper on Steam than they already are, should I pick these up?

Y/N?

Yes. Its a little different from most RTS though. Like you dont build shit,you capture points and call troops and tanks and kill shit

AdditionalPylons on
  • NovafoxNovafox Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the input AdditionalPylons!

Novafox on
    steam_sig.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »

"Look, I know you played a lot before and then you were distracted and never came back. Its cool. Now, take a look at this cool Spirit Shaman here. He looks fun doesn't he?"

I know, it's better than I remember and the Swashbuckler class is aaaawesome.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

read the first two posts on the page wrong and thought you were talking about Back to the Future.

Damn, Crysis is so very cheap that *I MUST* get it, and pretty much warhead while i am at it.

What the hell, Simcity4? I'm already neck deep in Constructor (having trouble teching up fast enough and maintaining optimal birth rates), and I just can't not buy it, fuck....see this is why I only put $20 on the card that i have in africa, so when shit like this happens, I don't go crazy.

RoyceSraphim on
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am not an addict. I can quit whenever I want.

Bought
    Torchlight
    Trine
    The F.E.A.R pack
    The Crysis pack
    The Witcher

Managed to hold off on Bad Company 2.

I can't even play any of this until Sandy Bridge comes out and I build a new system. Send help.

November Fifth on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Y/N?

Yes. Its a little different from most RTS though. Like you dont build shit,you capture points and call troops and tanks and kill shit

You totally build shit in CoH.

-SPI- on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've actually gifted more than I've bought for myself on this sale

Pretty surprised

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

Y/N?

You totally build shit in CoH.

Yes you do,the thing is the building part is done at the start,with the game focused on capturing resource points.

AdditionalPylons on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »

I know, it's better than I remember and the Swashbuckler class is aaaawesome.

Swashbuckler is pretty pimp and throwing duelist on top is like the most hilarious thing ever.

Docshifty on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So what's the word on this Global Agenda game

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, Republic Commando is fun, and I enjoy the team banter a lot more than I'd expected, but the constantly spawning enemies gets a little old. I'm on the second location and I think I'm nearly done it, but the "quick, advance into a wave of enemies just to hit that magical invisible trigger that makes them stop spawning, then clean up what's left" seems like it's designed to make the player rush into insurmountable odds, and it can be a mixed bag in terms of effectiveness.

Also, fuck the flying things with the Collector Beam Weapon or whatever it is that just rapes me and my squad through the pants.

Big nasty mechs aren't so bad, but they just take so much punishment to put down, and at this point they spawn in groups of 2-3+.

I like to think I'm not complete shit at games, but I had to bump the difficulty level down just to progress at a decent click. A room where I had to lock down 2 windows while a big CBWFucker and a pair of streams of infinite enemies tried to eat my ass was my breaking point.

I do admit I need to use more than just "attack" and "regroup", but seriously, fuck infinite enemy spawn points.

Edit for clarity: totally worth $5, but I am a bit disappointed in at least one or two of the game mechanics. Not dealbreakers, but annoying all the same.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    After beating Machinarium I've got a hankering for Point and Click adventure games, are there any good ones on steam (besides the monkey islands)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GXzWM9I-bM
    So what's the word on this Global Agenda game

Chocobo was having a lot of fun with it before he headed off to work, I bought it pretty much on that note

Maddoc on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone else having any major regrets, on not picking up a sale? I really fucking wish I picked up DMC4 now. :cry:

May still take grab it while it's 33% off. But 50% would have been better.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well son of a bitch.

I own Torchlight for the PC. I would like to have it for the Mac, as I just got my pc working as a Hackintosh for shits and/or giggles.

However, I did not buy Torchlight from Steam as I bought it on Day 1, when it was not available on Steam.

Therefore, I cannot play Torchlight on my Mac install without buying from Steam.

What a mild annoyance.

It is pretty cool that I can install many of my games on both my Windows and Mac partitions. Kind of neat.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well son of a bitch.

I own Torchlight for the PC. I would like to have it for the Mac, as I just got my pc working as a Hackintosh for shits and/or giggles.

However, I did not buy Torchlight from Steam as I bought it on Day 1, when it was not available on Steam.

Therefore, I cannot play Torchlight on my Mac install without buying from Steam.

What a mild annoyance.

It is pretty cool that I can install many of my games on both my Windows and Mac partitions. Kind of neat.

If you bought Torchlight day one, your key can be activated on Steam

Maddoc on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What's with Darksiders binding things to Capslock? The fuck is that shit?

The jury's still out on it, since I've not made it too far, the combat is horrible, and I can only kill the zombies without dying. Everything else pretty much is slaughtering me, or something.

I blame the shitty port, myself. Seriously. Capslock.

L Ron Howard on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Well son of a bitch.

What a mild annoyance.

If you bought Torchlight day one, your key can be activated on Steam

Okay.

How, pray tell, is this done?

EDIT: Nevermind.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

The jury's still out on it, since I've not made it too far, the combat is horrible, and I can only kill the zombies without dying. Everything else pretty much is slaughtering me, or something.

I actually have nothing but good things to say about Darksiders on the PC. But I've been using a 360 pad, so crazy key bindings don't apply to me.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Jolly Rover is alright; it "borrows" liberally from Monkey Island, but has its own unique quirks with decent voice acting and a nice hint system (plus most of the puzzles have logical conclusions - it's certainly no Space Quest).

You can get it as part of the Indie Adventure Pack for $4.99. Steam says Samorost2 (which is in the pack) is also a point and click adventure, so if you don't like dog-themed Monkey Island, you can potentially enjoy Space Gnome Quest.

...It was a better deal when it included Recettear a few weeks ago, but I don't mind having a free Jolly Rover with my $4.99 Recettear and I don't even really like point and click adventure games.

President Rex on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Haikira wrote: »

I actually have nothing but good things to say about Darksiders on the PC. But I've been using a 360 pad, so crazy key bindings don't apply to me.

If I woulda known that another piece of hardware would be necessary to enjoy the game thoroughly, I would have probably reconsidered.

I mean, I knew going into IL-2 that I was going to need a joystick. Like, I don't even understand how that game is playable in the slightest way without it. It's the same thing. I'm not understanding how this game is really playable unless you use the default configuration.

And yet, I have a different key bound to action, so when I'm beating up on a guy, and it's telling me to press the E key to do an action, and my E key isn't bound to perform actions, I gotta pause the game and look it up. Now apply this to 18 other fucking buttons.

Seriously. Capslock.

Screw it. I'll stop my bitching and uninstall it until I get unlazy enough to buy an Xbox controller.

L Ron Howard on
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Haikira wrote: »

Yeah that one I just rebound to mouse 4 for me. I had to move a few of the buttons around to fit me but outside of that I have nothing but great things to say about it as well. Ulthane=:^:

kal on
    camo_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, am I going to buy something before I leave tomorrow? Probably, unfortunately. We all have a problem.

Fencingsax on
This discussion has been closed.