As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Girls Meetup at East

EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Okay, I have set up an Eventbrite page so people can prepay for their tickets. Please be aware that I will offer refunds up until March 6, after that you can transfer your ticket to another person until March 11 but will have to work out the money exchange with them. The March 11 deadline is because I can't guarantee that I will have the time during PAX to check up on my messages/email and don't want anyone getting screwed over at the last minute. I will be at the door with a list of everyone who has prepaid and they will automatically get wristbands. I'm also trying to think of something cool for the people who prepay, maybe a raffle for a neat prize.

If we do not reach 25 prepaid tickets by March 6 people will get a full refund and I'll talk to Lucky's about what we can do. Thanks everyone for your support and patience. Every time I run one of these things I learn something new. (Enough that this actually goes on my resume XD )

Catering Details:
• Buffet-style breakfast
o Egg station (cooked to order)
o Toast (Wheat, Sourdough, Marble Rye)
o Home fries
o Bacon and Sausage
o Fruit, yogurt, granola
o Coffee, juice, soda included

The sample buffet menu is $18 per person
Tax is 7% = $1.26/per person
Gratuity on large groups is 20% = $3.60/per person
Food Total per person $22.86

Alcoholic beverages are by consumption and the tax is included on the drink price. Average price is $8 -- beer much cheaper and the cocktails can be closer to $8-$10. For brunch specifically: mimosas $7 and well bloody mary $9.5.
Original Post
/me pokes her head out from behind a large stack of books and glares at the calendar

Oh hell, guess I should start working on this. Okay ladies, the girls meetup was such a hit at East and Prime let's do it again!! However, we have a bit of a problem (and by we I mean I). I know NOTHING about where the convention is going to be held this year and hear that food pickings will be slim. I would GREATLY appreciate some locals helping me out with finding a place that people can walk to (rather important for such a large group) and who can host around 50 women for brunch.

Though it's not a perfect time for everyone (something that just doesn't exist at PAX), Sunday morning at 10 has worked well in the past, so unless there is some great uprising demanding that we do it some other time I think we should stick with that.

Also, I wrote a little poem for everyone.

Dear boys,

We know you think it's witty and arty
To say that you will crash our party.
However, of our patience this is a misuse
and just makes you look like a [strike] flaming asshole [/strike] *coughs* I mean, silly goose.

We have considered our motives and have decided
that girl time should be encouraged and not derided.
It's not that we don't love you bunches
but we don't need testosterone with all of our lunches.

And yes, you are free to have a boys only mob
Just start your own thread, planning one isn't my job.
Ladies, I'm excited to meet you all, oh very
So let's have this party, be girly and make merry!

Attendees
1. EruditeAphrodite (pp)
2. astillac (pp)
3. Juju (pp)
4. LedaXI (pp)
5. ohkatey
6. DragonKitty
7. Evelyn
8. Danicia
9. punzie (pp)
10. Nullthread
11. Menolly07 (pp)
12. cabsy
13. Didgeridoo
14. nollie (maybe)
15. Amy.Lukima
16. Sammy (pp)
17. tehnakki (pp)
18. aneksi
19. Stephidabefida (pp)
20. chaosisorder (pp)
21. Themiscyra
22. cynthetic (pp)
23. kitties_on_acid (pp)
24. QueenMegz +1
25. Jamers
26. browncoatbeth
27. Desdemonia
28. mandaf
29. cyanosaurus
30. Librarianofdoom +1
31. EtoilePB +1 (pp)
32. Rayze
33. cherin
34. jacalata
35. chynahangel
36. AmyLove88
37. DarknessOfMine
38. tvethiopia (pp)
39. donnanoblehasbeensaved (pp)
40. slamonella (pp)
41. This-Catalyst (pp)
42. ruggrat
43. SwashbucklerXX (pp)
44. mSWAE
45. spazdawn
46. tangentia (pp)
47. CMYK (pp)
48. Sausage (pp)
49. agony42
50. Mysterious Nut Bread (pp)
51. Kiss Me GoodBye (pp)
52. HyperJMA

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
EruditeAphrodite on

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ^5

Smalllady is IN!

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I talked to Lucky's, which is quite close to the convention center, and they said that they do large parties all the time. I'm waiting to hear back from the manager, but this might be an excellent choice. Anyone have any experience with this place?

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I saw your Tweet and TOTALLY had to check the PAX forums to see the venue.

Lucky's is great. They're most known for their cocktails, which are totally on-limits for brunch (thanks Blue Law repeal!). I can go scope it out for you if you need a liason, since I work a hop-skip-jump away from Lucky's. I haven't been there in a while but I remember really liking it - so much that I took a picture with a cosmo there.

Put me down as a tentative bruncher - Sunday schedule sucks for transportation where I live now but I might move between now and PAX and I'll work really hard to make it there from home in time for some delicious Fort Point nomz.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
    edited December 2010
    juju: I would be eternally grateful if you would be willing to act as a local point of contact. Once I hear back from the manager I will PM you and we can go from there! Also, that cosmo looks muy delicious.

EruditeAphrodite on
  • StarDancinStarDancin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Le sigh, I wish I could hit up PAX east this year. I got the message over facebook, and unfortunately, I won't be attending PAX East. So I'll see y'all again at PAX prime! :)

For those ladies who are unsure if they should go, I would HIGHLY recommend you jump in, and go! The girls brunch at Prime was awesome, and I so enjoyed meeting everyone.

See ya at Prime! :)

StarDancin on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm planning on being available for PAX East, and if it all works out there's no way I'm missing this! :)

Twinkie on
  • ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i couldn't attend the girls meetup for prime this last year due to a sick friend and another friend being in town, but i'm traveling to boston by myself this year... i'd love to go to this at paxeast!

ohkatey on
    pax primer @ <3
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Even though I'm a guy, I still want to say this is a really cool idea, and hope you ladies have fun with your girly stuff.

feitocomfruta on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Eep, I just wanted to pop in and say the following:

-From what you've told me, and what I've heard, Awesome job at last east, and prime. Keep it up, you are fantabulously awesome.

-Epic Poem is Epic

-Have a blast again.

Much love,

ZHH

ZeroHourHero on
  • MelquiadesMelquiades Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    If you like Sinatra and the whole Rat Pack thing, then Lucky's is the place for brunch since they do "Sinatra Sundays." If you're looking for a slightly less musical eating and drinking experience I'd recommend Amrheins, which is a just a few blocks further into South Boston. A slightly more expensive option would be Legal's Test Kitchen, but they will also have some more exotic offerings than Lucky's or Amrheins.

Walking distance is a relative term. If you're willing to hike about 1-2 miles, a whole new world of options are available in Faneuil Hall, Boston's North End (some of the best food in the city), or dim sum in Chinatown. Unfortunately the convention center area is known for its lack of moderately priced food options.

Melquiades on
    edited December 2010
    Melquiades wrote: »
    If you like Sinatra and the whole Rat Pack thing, then Lucky's is the place for brunch since they do "Sinatra Sundays." If you're looking for a slightly less musical eating and drinking experience I'd recommend Amrheins, which is a just a few blocks further into South Boston. A slightly more expensive option would be Legal's Test Kitchen, but they will also have some more exotic offerings than Lucky's or Amrheins.

Walking distance is a relative term. If you're willing to hike about 1-2 miles, a whole new world of options are available in Faneuil Hall, Boston's North End (some of the best food in the city), or dim sum in Chinatown. Unfortunately the convention center area is known for its lack of moderately priced food options.

Thanks for the recommendations. Amrheins is also on my list of places to contact if Lucky's falls through. Because some participants find walking difficult a 1-2 mile hike is really out of the question, especially since people will want to head straight to the convention center after brunch. This is my only complaint about the new place, the old center had some lovely brunch places close by. :(

EruditeAphrodite on
  • DragonKittyDragonKitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm definitely in for the brunch again this year.

I'm not totally sure about some of the places, but given I'm about ten minutes from Boston and on break right now, I'd be more than happy to trek down and visit the places within the next few weeks, maybe even take some pictures, depending on what people want.

Also, that poem was fantastic.

DragonKitty on
  • EvelynEvelyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Epic poem is super epic. =)

The brunch last year was fantabulous fun, so I would love to go again. SIGN ME UP!

Evelyn on
  • DaniciaDanicia Sparkly Princess of Social Media Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I missed the PAX Prime one this year due to work. Boo! However, I'm not scheduled in a booth and should be able to make it unless I get scheduled for panels/interviewy type things. *bounce*

Danicia on
  • hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I talked to Lucky's, which is quite close to the convention center, and they said that they do large parties all the time. I'm waiting to hear back from the manager, but this might be an excellent choice. Anyone have any experience with this place?
    I work just down the street from Lucky's, and it's a sweet place - I occasionally go there for lunch or after-work drinks (which, as others mentioned, are fantastic). I don't know what their brunch is like, but I'm generally a fan of their food, so it's probably delicious.

All that said, I'm a dude, so won't be attending. I think Lucky's would be a top choice, though. Hopefully that works out for ya!

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Add me! Schedule allowing, I'll be there.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I recall a friend of mine inviting me to this, but since I live in Seattle, waking up at 8am to walk down the hill then go to breakfast (which I don't even eat) at an ungodly hour....ahhhhh. I ended up not going, and regretted afterwards... in the end I spent my Sunday morning (10 am actually) sitting in the lobby, looking gloomy from fatigue, talking to another forumer, slowly coming back to life with each, precious sip of black coffee.

tl;dr: Nullthread checking in!

Nullthread on
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh please do count me in as well! It will be LOVELY to ditch the hubby and [strike]get sloshed on morning cocktails[/strike] have brunch with the ladies. I'm a total foodie and will eat everything, so I'm quite open to any place.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am hoping to be able to make East this year (lol still haven't bought a plane ticket) so if I do I am certainly in for this.

cabsy on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I will probably be able to make this (yes I am a lady)

I'll finalize within a week as to whether or not I'll be there. I mean, Within a week I will either have a plane ticket, or I won't!!

sounds like fun, though!

Didgeridoo on
  • nollienollie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sounds like fun! Still deciding if me and the hubby are gonna go or not but I would love to meet up with fellow gamer chicks :)

nollie on
    Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
  • AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Epic poem is da bomb!

Wish I could join in, but I am once again working this con.
    Ladies who want to play Magic can find me in the tournament area.

Is is March yet?!?

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
  • Amy.LukimaAmy.Lukima Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in! My boyfriend will need to find something to do.

Amy.Lukima on
    <a href="http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=35369">I'm participating in Extra Life. Please consider donating to help kids in need. </a>
  • SammySammy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    put me down as a maybemostlikelyalmostdefinitely.

i wasn't able to get to the brunch last east [i was probably sleeping. Scott Kurtz panel ran really late that saturday. lol]
    but i totally don't want to miss it this year!

so as long as i'm not missing any crucial events on sunday morning [which i doubt] i'm completely down.
    the boy can peruse the exhibition hall while i enjoy a martini.

btw. Sinatra Sundays?
    so fucking sold.

Sammy on
    Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can actually make this one since I'm not enforcing! Yay, girl power!

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • aneksianeksi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I totally missed this last year! If you ladies would have me, I'd love to go! I always cling to my one or two girlfriends that go to PAX-East because I desperately need a break from the boys!

I am from the area, so if anyone needs me to go scout a prospective place, let me know!

( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ )cheers!

aneksi on
  • StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Went to the brunch last year and it was great! I will be there!

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

edited January 2011
    When I told my husband that I was planning to do this he looked at me in askance and deadpanned, "Left on my own at PAX, surrounded by games and gamers... *flat voice* Oh no. Whatever. Shall. I. Do?"

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    noms of feminine persuasion?

Your ideas are intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Oh wait, I already do...

chaosisorder on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Plane ticket purchased!

I will definitely be attending this lovely brunch

Didgeridoo on
    edited January 2011
    noms of feminine persuasion?

That sounds SO dirty. I like noms of a feminine persuasion.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
    edited January 2011
    I have to say that I am thus far VERY pleased with Lucky's and hope that this will be the beginning of a long-term relationship between us and them. I'm in contact with their event planner so please keep an eye open for a poll in the near future outlining our options. To make things easier on them we are either looking at a set-price buffet or a limited menu with enough choices to keep us happy and not make their chefs consider suicide.

Thanks for everyone who has responded and I just want to let you know that if there is radio silence from me from time to time it's because I'm a full time grad student and occasionally get buried under massive amounts of reading and writing. Fear not, planning will continue in the background, even if I can't update the thread all the time!

/me looks at the stack of books on her desk that need to be read and twitches. Okay, back to work.

EruditeAphrodite on
  • OphelyaOphelya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in! Husband has assured me he will be just fine on his own.

Ophelya on
  • QueenMegzQueenMegz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    do you know what you are expecting the turn out to be?
    my friend and i are considering coming, we are just waiting for schedules and such to be posted.

QueenMegz on
  • QueenMegzQueenMegz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    if you think a decent amount of people are coming you may want to look at event brite. they did it here in this thread http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128302

QueenMegz on
    edited January 2011
    I'm expecting around 50 women or so, unless there is a huge upsurge this year, which there might very well be. Basically expect about 50% of the number of people who say they will come to actually show.

If at all possible, and I think it will be, everyone will pay for their own buffet/brunch there so I don't have to deal with monies ahead of time. I'm lazy, so I make this as easy for me as possible. :P

Thanks for the idea though, if this ever grows to the point where event brite is needed I'll know where to find it.

EruditeAphrodite on
    edited January 2011
    Okay, I've heard back from Lucky's. Please go back and read the OP and fill out the poll so I can get this ball rolling!

EruditeAphrodite on
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.

Yes.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    that sounds like an AWESOME menu!! How very excite!

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • SammySammy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yes and...yes.

seriously? a little egg chef? to make my eggs just as runny and awesome as i love them?

20 bucks ain't bad for what we're getting.

my excitement level just went up. :D

Sammy on
    Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []