As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i dunno what they're bitching about. some racing wheel? whatever. [game podcasts]

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brad would probably say Flower is a better than SMB

What a jerk :P

UnbreakableVow on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My brain immediately translates SMB into Super Mario Bros.

This makes things interesting in discussions about Super Meat Boy.

And I don't get the Brad hate. He and Vinnie balance out the Jeff/Ryan side of the podcast. Generally if one of the two are missing it takes away some of my interest unless Dave is being subbed in.

Kelor on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I kinda skipped the hour long dlc discussion since I was worried they would spoil stuff from Shadow Broker(which I just got today). Do they or is cool for me to listen and join in on the Brad hate?

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah they discuss some of what happens in it quite a bit.

If you want to be completely spoiler free then I'd say avoid it.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited December 2010
    Guess I better not listen to that then either since I've yet to play Shadow Broker

UnbreakableVow on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How about you people play Shadow Broker? Like, now. It's pretty not bad.

It's even on sale today if you're on the 360.

Monger on
    edited December 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    How about you people play Shadow Broker? Like, now. It's pretty not bad.

It's even on sale today if you're on the 360.

Was on sale

As in, that sale runs out in like 45 minutes

I'm glad I just grabbed it, though I realized just after I paid for it that it was a mistake. Oh well. Only six bucks wasted.

UnbreakableVow on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brad Shoemaker is my favorite part of the bombcast.

What did he ever do to you.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited December 2010
    Talk incessantly about StarCraft II

Completely wiped out all that Infamous-loving goodwill he had built up in a matter of weeks

UnbreakableVow on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not into Giant Bomb enough to sit through hours of GotY discussion, but their recap videos going in-depth into StarCraft II and Halo: Reach were a lot of fun! Looking forward to the rest of them. I'm guessing it's going to be God of War and Super Mario Galaxy or Kirby for the PS3 and Wii?

Oh man, it would've been so amazing if they'd picked Amnesia as their PC Game of the Year. Watching them play through that would've been hilarious.

Muddy Water on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    Brad Shoemaker is my favorite part of the bombcast.

What did he ever do to you.

He's always feeling tired and talking about how tired he feels.

And bitching about Deadly Premonition.

And talking about Starcraft 2 multiplayer culture.

And leaving before the podcast is over.
    Oh man, it would've been so amazing if they'd picked Amnesia as their PC Game of the Year. Watching them play through that would've been hilarious.

I'm sure they just forgot about it.

Delta Assault on
    edited December 2010
    I don't know

It seems like they've been awfully neglectful of God of War III overall, even back when it was released. And not even considering it for Best Graphics is a sin. But mostly just fuck Kirby's Epic Yarn.

But yeah, I don't expect it to win anything from them.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010
    Wait what? Mostly just fuck Epic Yarn?

What?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Booooo. Hiissssss.

What other PS3 exclusives came out this year? I can only think of Heavy Rain and Gran Turismo 5. Isn't GT sort of a "if you're into cars, you'll love it otherwise not" kind of game? Are these guys into cars?

Muddy Water on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So he likes good games and doesn't like bad games and sometimes he's tired.

I'ma keep on liking him.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Booooo. Hiissssss.

What other PS3 exclusives came out this year? I can only think of Heavy Rain and Gran Turismo 5. Isn't GT sort of a "if you're into cars, you'll love it otherwise not" kind of game? Are these guys into cars?

Jeff loves forza 3.

Though it's probably because he loves anime girl decals.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited December 2010
    Talk incessantly about StarCraft II

Completely wiped out all that Infamous-loving goodwill he had built up in a matter of weeks

I would prefer that to break up the incessant flow of latest dual-stick FPS/3PS that is out.

The split is that Ryan and Jeff are both almost entirely focused on HD console content, Jeff grudgingly handles Wii games and Brad and Vinnie will touch on various other less mainstream titles they dig.

I'm cool with it being a primarily console focused podcast, I knew that that is where most of their attention will go and it's honestly the personalities that hold it together for me. But you need Brad and Vinnie in there to balance things out without getting overrun by other members as happens in something like Weekend Confirmed.

Kelor on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    I still find it goddamn criminal that Steven Heck from Alpha Protocol didn't even get a nomination for character of the year.

But then Jeff killed the discussion for that game on a previous podcast, so it doesn't come as much of a suprise.

if there's any justice he'll at least pick up the Northie

I was almost shocked he never brought up Steven Heck during their AP discussion. That might be Nolan North's finest role, certainly among my favorite voice acting performances of the year.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited December 2010
    I don't believe that he actually got far enough in to meet him.

From memory he went to.......Rome maybe? After the initial mission and then put it down once he got there.

This is just the intro to the character, but it gives you a good idea of what he's like. And it barely touches on some of the amazing things he gets up to in the game.

Steven Heck

Kelor on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    He's just psychotic really

I do like his dossier info, where not even the game can decide whether he's really a super-deep undercover CIA deniable op, or if he's just a super-informed crazy

Jintor on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I still find it goddamn criminal that Steven Heck from Alpha Protocol didn't even get a nomination for character of the year.

But then Jeff killed the discussion for that game on a previous podcast, so it doesn't come as much of a suprise.

if there's any justice he'll at least pick up the Northie

I was almost shocked he never brought up Steven Heck during their AP discussion. That might be Nolan North's finest role, certainly among my favorite voice acting performances of the year.
    AP had pretty stellar voicing in general, really. Heck was definitely one of the high points, and I know Thorton's voice actor grated on a lot of people's nerves, but I absolutely loved the deadpan snarking.

Monger on
    edited December 2010
    I don't believe that he actually got far enough in to meet him.

From memory he went to.......Rome maybe? After the initial mission and then put it down once he got there.

No, he did finish it, didn't he? I mean, he reviewed it, so I assume he must have gotten farther than that at least.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    His review even mentions that "Alpha Protocol contains Nolan North, who turns in a great, non-Drake-like performance."

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If I remember right, Jeff really liked the story aspects of Alpha Protocol but he had plenty of issues with the gameplay design.

Diarmuid on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Which is exactly the correct kind of response to Alpha Protocol, really

Jintor on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    So he likes good games and doesn't like bad games and sometimes he's tired.

I'ma keep on liking him.

Christ, did you hear their Game of the Year discussions.

He was so damned stubborn. The entire list of Best Debut games were his picks. Then, when they finally hold their ground and say that, no, Super Meat Boy wasn't innovative or better than Limbo and Bayonetta (after 40 minutes of him being a dick), he throws a fit and grumbles in the background for a minute.

It went from, this is his unique take on it all, to he won't fucking let it go. Not to mention him acting like a hurt child. Also, I think they editted it a bit. I think his tantrum may have been more obvious, louder, and longer in the actual discussions.

Also, yes, I am tired of Star Craft 2. It is good, but it is nothing new. It was exceptional for what it is, but it isn't the end-all-be-all.

Also, the multiplayer is still a niche thing. Not everyone wants to jump into that, same as not everyone wants to touch an MMO.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    To be fair to Brad though, especially with the Minerva's Den thing - the reasons they keep giving for why his votes are wrong can be easily argued against.

They just don't listen to those arguments and then he seems so annoyed that he can't pick apart the softballs they lob up later.

Come on, most Bioshock 2 players wouldn't have bought Minerva's Den as DLC? That's completely awful reasoning.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited December 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    To be fair to Brad though, especially with the Minerva's Den thing - the reasons they keep giving for why his votes are wrong can be easily argued against.

They just don't listen to those arguments and then he seems so annoyed that he can't pick apart the softballs they lob up later.

Come on, most Bioshock 2 players wouldn't have bought Minerva's Den as DLC? That's completely awful reasoning.

I didn't hear that one yet.

I heard his reasoning of Super Meat Boy and they were just awful. He claims it is unique and nothing out there like it, yet it is N+ only harder. And even that is not unique. I have played dozens of games like that.

He scoffs at Minecraft as not being a 2010 game since it started getting distributed and sold in 2009, saying that it doesn't matter what they call it, beta or alpha. Then considers another game, World of Tanks or whatever even though that is in beta. He is just inconsistent.

Also, the other guy who tried to claim Limbo and Super Meat Boy were the same thing. You are why we can't have nice things. Who is that guy? He made statements that were just wrong, dumb, or just weak.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Brad was loving Limbo for that category though...

Are you sure you shouldn't be waiting for the Jeff hate thread, because he and Brad were the two mostly going back and forth, with Jeff supporting Super Meat Boy and Brad doing his best to try and explain to Jeff why Limbo is not the same game as SMB.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited December 2010
    Brad was loving Limbo for that category though...

Are you sure you shouldn't be waiting for the Jeff hate thread, because he and Brad were the two mostly going back and forth, with Jeff supporting Super Meat Boy and Brad doing his best to try and explain to Jeff why Limbo is not the same game as SMB.

Brad is the always tired sounding Starcraft 2 nut, right?

Brad wanted Super Meat Boy to win. He liked Limbo too.

If Jeff was the one going back and forth with him, he argued that Limbo and Super Meat Boy were basically the same (saying both had static screens or some shit). I think his end was to try to make room for Dance Central or Darksiders. I can't recall what he seemed to be going for.

Yea, Jeff was an idiot, but Brad was just a stubborn jerk. Reminds me of that one IT guy that isn't helpful because he can't take advice from his peers.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Well now I'm just going to listen to Day 1 again.

I was making supper during some of it so maybe I did mishear something, but I could've sworn it wasn't during that category at all.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited December 2010
    Well now I'm just going to listen to Day 1 again.

I was making supper during some of it so maybe I did mishear something, but I could've sworn it wasn't during that category at all.

Enjoy the 1.5 hours of arguing.

Not sure how this shit is entertaining, but it is.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, these are great to listen to while working or grocery shopping, but I wouldn't put time aside to listen to them.

I don't understand all the hate people are leveling. Is it just normal Internet hyperbole? I mean, yeah. Lots of these wouldn't be decisions I would make. But it doesn't invalidate my choices and I don't hate them for not liking stuff I like and vice versa. Should God of War have been entered for best graphics? Probably. But I think that's a reflection on the forgeability of the game itself that it didn't pop up. And I still really agree with Kirby, but I think art style and design should trump horsepower every day of the week. I really dig Limbo but love the fact that Jeff really really doesn't. That's funny to me. They're just 4 dudes who play MOSTLY console games and so their views reflect that.

Medium Dave on
    edited December 2010
    At around 58 minutes Best Debut's nominees is down to Bayonetta, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Darksiders, and Dance Central.

From that point it basically devolves into Jeff wanting Bayonetta, Super Meat Boy, and Dance Central as the top 3, with Brad wanting to argue Limbo as a top spot throughout deliberations.

But even when Brad brings Limbo out against Darksiders or Dance Central or whatever, Jeff seems to quickly turn it into "Yeah, but Super Meat Boy does everything Limbo does but better." Then Brad and sometimes Ryan try and say that Super Meat Boy and Limbo aren't even doing the same thing to compare so directly.

Listening again it just seems like Jeff felt that the 2D downloadable game "genre" was already represented with Super Meat Boy and just didn't want to hear otherwise. Eventually Ryan discusses that it's not "the first 5 seconds of Braid" made into a full length game or "yet another..." artsy indie game as Jeff said, and manages to convince him to begrudgingly put Limbo on the top 3.

The only real arguing FOR Super Meat Boy that Brad did was when Jeff put the question out regarding Meat Boy invalidating Super Meat Boy for the list. He supported it when the game come up in the discussion.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The problem was that he would use the same arguments when talking bad about Shadow Broker. To me it came down to which DLC was part of the better game and which one went well with the story.

But then they argued that over and over again. It was obvious that the others were over it just as much as we were.

I actually like the Starcraft 2 stuff. The going to Korea stuff was fun.

AZChristopher on
    edited December 2010
    I did think the Brad/Minerva's Den argument was annoying, but I really enjoy these casts nonetheless. It's something different; almost like an endurance run in audio form.

Cherrn on
    edited December 2010
    Why is it they kept thinking that Dance Central was just a dance game like Just Dance? There is a legitimate argument to say it is entirely unique and different from anything else. Just Dance and such are really glorified pedometers to make sure you keep the beat and move the controller properly. Dance Central is actually making sure you move properly and keep the beat. Quite literally, and rates your dancing.

Ugh.

The only reason I get worked up about this is probably because the reasons for why they dwell on some of these topics is just inane. I almost feel invested in the conversation because I am bluetoothing the podcast on my car ride and not listening to satellite radio.
    Yet I enjoy it. The fuck is with me.

Also, I think I need to get Super Meat Boy. I think they made it clear that it is one of the best 2D platformers they've seen. Additionally, I need to play that Bayonetta demo and see if I like it.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The only problems with Dance Central are that it feels pretty empty when you aren't playing a song, and it's not nearly as fun when you don't know or don't like a song. Poison will always be more fun than something like Rendez-Vu because I know that song.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm pretty sure they were being facetious about Dance Central being "just another Just Dance".

Frosty the Snow Plow on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the "Yet another dancing game" was just a biting comeback to show Jeff how his "Yet another artsy indie game" comment sounded.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png