As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recettear: RPG Shop simulator - It's out and great and you should buy it

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh noes there's an endless and survival mode, there goes my free time.

SkutSkut on
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but when dungeon crawling, try to build up chains by killing the same type of critter (eg killing red slimes but avoiding green slimes, mushrooms and gnolls). It takes effort to do, but you can get some insane experience if you can pull it off. In my game, Louie walked out of the trial dungeon halfway to level 9.

I've got two questions:
    1. How much damage do the time-up fireballs do if they hit?

2. How do the plusses on fusion items affect the end product?

Man in the Mists on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    2) Do not price gouge ever. Go for just pins, it is very important for the long run.
    Three things to elaborate on.

First: Tear's haggling tutorial is awful - it should never have been included in the game - and following it to the letter is a sure-fire way to fail. Trying to gouge each customer keeps their relationship with Recette at rock bottom, and tanks your Merchant Experience gains.

Second: Each customer type and adventurer has a hidden relationship level with Recette. This level determines how much money they bring to the store, and the quality of the goods they try to sell you. Initially, Louie will only have around 1,000 Pix to spend. Work on making him like Recette more, and within a couple of weeks he can be buying 100,000 Pix items without batting an eyelid.

Relationships are a hidden value, but a heart in a speech bubble will briefly be displayed whenever one increases after a transaction.

Third: Merchant Level is all-important. It determines the size of your store and the value of the goods you can buy at wholesalers. You raise your Merchant Level by not haggling. Really.

Your primary goals until the endgame should be raising customer relationships and your Merchant Level. How do you do this? Pin bonuses!

First, completing a transaction (buying or selling) without having to haggle - your price was accepted the first time - starts a Just Combo. This gives you 2^n Merchant Experience, where n is the number of successive sales without haggling. It caps at a whopping 128 experience per sale after seven sales. This is the most important thing. Keep your chain going at all times, even if you have to buy crap off customers that you'll never shift.

Second, offering a customer the price they expect - not necessarily the highest they'll pay - gives you a Pin Bonus. 15 added experience if you're very close, 30 experience if you're right on the mark. This also greatly increases the likelihood of improving relationship levels with customers. Each customer has their own values, I've found, especially in booms and busts. But for normal business, you can quite reliably get Pin Bonuses every time by buying at 70% and selling at 104%.

When you get to the endgame, you can afford to price gouge every customer. Unless you're raking in a million plus Pix each day, you're not there yet.

Mumblyfish on
    edited December 2010
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but when dungeon crawling, try to build up chains by killing the same type of critter (eg killing red slimes but avoiding green slimes, mushrooms and gnolls). It takes effort to do, but you can get some insane experience if you can pull it off. In my game, Louie walked out of the trial dungeon halfway to level 9.
    You're really underestimating how tedious this can be, and it's not at all necessary (or even useful) in the retail version. Most of the dungeons are significantly easier now, and equipment is more important than raw levels. Chaining will very quickly make you want to quit dungeoneering. It's a terrible mechanic.
    1. How much damage do the time-up fireballs do if they hit?
    They increase in level as you kill them. Rapidly. Damage starts off at very little, then increases to one-hit kills if you're in an appropriate dungeon for your equipment and level.
    2. How do the plusses on fusion items affect the end product?
    Simple: It's additive. If you're making an item and you have a +4, +3 and +2 of its ingredients, you'll get a +9 item out. It caps at +15, and not all items can reach this since it requires having at least four ingredients. Fusion will automatically take the best ingredients from your inventory.

Mumblyfish on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This game was gifted to me yesterday.
    It is so good. Crazy addictive, too. Pretty much devoured my evening.

AshtonDragon on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This game was gifted to me yesterday.
    It is so good. Crazy addictive, too. Pretty much devoured my evening.

I've only played this game for 15 hours

but I played this game for 15 hours straight

mntorankusu on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    2) Do not price gouge ever. Go for just pins, it is very important for the long run.
    Three things to elaborate on.

First: Tear's haggling tutorial is awful - it should never have been included in the game - and following it to the letter is a sure-fire way to fail. Trying to gouge each customer keeps their relationship with Recette at rock bottom, and tanks your Merchant Experience gains.

Second: Each customer type and adventurer has a hidden relationship level with Recette. This level determines how much money they bring to the store, and the quality of the goods they try to sell you. Initially, Louie will only have around 1,000 Pix to spend. Work on making him like Recette more, and within a couple of weeks he can be buying 100,000 Pix items without batting an eyelid.

Relationships are a hidden value, but a heart in a speech bubble will briefly be displayed whenever one increases after a transaction.

Third: Merchant Level is all-important. It determines the size of your store and the value of the goods you can buy at wholesalers. You raise your Merchant Level by not haggling. Really.

Your primary goals until the endgame should be raising customer relationships and your Merchant Level. How do you do this? Pin bonuses!

First, completing a transaction (buying or selling) without having to haggle - your price was accepted the first time - starts a Just Combo. This gives you 2^n Merchant Experience, where n is the number of successive sales without haggling. It caps at a whopping 128 experience per sale after seven sales. This is the most important thing. Keep your chain going at all times, even if you have to buy crap off customers that you'll never shift.

Second, offering a customer the price they expect - not necessarily the highest they'll pay - gives you a Pin Bonus. 15 added experience if you're very close, 30 experience if you're right on the mark. This also greatly increases the likelihood of improving relationship levels with customers. Each customer has their own values, I've found, especially in booms and busts. But for normal business, you can quite reliably get Pin Bonuses every time by buying at 70% and selling at 104%.

When you get to the endgame, you can afford to price gouge every customer. Unless you're raking in a million plus Pix each day, you're not there yet.

I hate this shit.

Because now I'm going to boot back the game again and go do some customer relations work and earn phat Merch XP.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I played for a while yesterday and failed out in my 80k week. I was nowhere close. I had been trying to gouge until partway through the prior week, though.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    It's 50% off now, rather than 75% off...which is still bloody cheap given that 1) it's only a few months old, and 2) was a low-priced indie release to begin with. It was worth it at full price, it's worth it now - but as ever, wait long enough and you can get it a few quid cheaper.

Cool beans. 50% off fits my "wife won't notice" level. Thanks for the heads up.

Also thanks for the tips Mumblyfish.

Second question, does anybody know if this will run on a netbook? I normally play my games on my desktop, but this seems like a great netbook game for me when I go on trips.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's irritating how sale XP combos restart every time slice.

Captain Carrot on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It would be really overpowered if they didn't. After you've built up some good customers, you'll be hitting the +128 cap almost every opening. Euris will be the only thorn in your side, then.

gilrain on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    darn. caught up with this thread hoping The Gerbil posted in here how he was gifted the game and now he can't use his computer because his wife is playing recettear all day.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    It would be really overpowered if they didn't. After you've built up some good customers, you'll be hitting the +128 cap almost every opening. Euris will be the only thorn in your side, then.

No kidding. I'm at pass 2, but also a couple of days after the 200K payment, and she shows up, "Here's a luck cat for 5000% markup!"

uh, no.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really glad I read about not following the tutorial - I'm just getting into week 3 and it is seeming impossible for some reason. My merchant level is really low, too. Should I start over, or just prepare to fail a few weeks but still grind through it?

fallaxdraco on
    edited December 2010
    Week three is an 80,000 Pix repayment, yes? If you start playing smart, you should be able to get 80,000 Pix in a single week even starting from nothing. Maximise your Merchant Level and customer relations gains by keeping your prices reasonable - if you don't get Near Pins bonuses, your prices aren't reasonable - and stay open for as many time slices as possible. Limit your restocks to early mornings, and exploit any booms if they come up.

Mumblyfish on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really glad I read about not following the tutorial - I'm just getting into week 3 and it is seeming impossible for some reason. My merchant level is really low, too. Should I start over, or just prepare to fail a few weeks but still grind through it?

You keep your stock, so just buy up everything, miss your next payment, and start over.

captaink on
    edited December 2010
    Also, at risk of being kinda cheaty you don't have to trigger Euria's appearance to continue the game. She appears in the Town Square (mornings and afternoons) whenever you have >100,000 Pix on hand. You can tell her to fuck off by not visiting the Town Square, or by restocking to get your cash on hand value below 100,000 Pix. If you don't view her introductory scene, she never shows up in your store.

Once you unlock the third dungeon, you never have any need to visit the Town Square (in those time slots) again. If you reach Endless Mode without triggering Euria, she apparently falls off the planet forever.

Mumblyfish on
    edited December 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    You keep your stock, so just buy up everything, miss your next payment, and start over.
    Note that this makes the game far, far too easy. I'd definitely advise against aiming to fail, since in typical RPG fashion New Game + isn't challenging in the slightest.

Mumblyfish on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, at risk of being kinda cheaty you don't have to trigger Euria's appearance to continue the game. She appears in the Town Square (mornings and afternoons) whenever you have >100,000 Pix on hand. You can tell her to fuck off by not visiting the Town Square, or by restocking to get your cash on hand value below 100,000 Pix. If you don't view her introductory scene, she never shows up in your store.

Once you unlock the third dungeon, you never have any need to visit the Town Square (in those time slots) again. If you reach Endless Mode without triggering Euria, she apparently falls off the planet forever.
    It's... too late... for me... son. :(

(There should be an option to get Charme drunk, then tell her there is more booze. Inside Euria's skull.)

gilrain on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    gilrain wrote: »

It's... too late... for me... son. :(

(There should be an option to get Charme drunk, then tell her there is more booze. Inside Euria's skull.)

To be fair you probably wouldn't even need the first step.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Or just tell Charme Euria is under age. That might have similar results.

Xtarath on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    Let me just say that I love you people who have been gifting the game

Love you so much

We have something kind of neat to announce at the end of the year now thanks to you guys, so thank youuuuu~

Anyway I hope people have been enjoying the game, I always get a kick out of people discovering the game for the first time

I want neeeeeeeeeeews!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The news must be big given it is coming all the way from Japan.

Tertiee on
    edited December 2010
    "sup guys. had to leave the country after authorities discovered I was the kingpin in a nationwide operation of selling school swimsuits to little children and used school swimsuits to the elderly"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2010
    Can anyone suggest a carpet/wall/floor combo that is decently expensive and puts you right in the middle of the plain/gaudy/light/dark?

Xtarath on
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »

That isn't quite where we'll be droppin' the bombs, but it's close. Also no explosives fly until after the new year, we have some amount of mercy.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's a dating sim spinoff game starring Charme as she looks for little girls to take home!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's a dating sim spinoff game starring Charme as she looks for little girls to take home!

That sounds inordinately creepy!

Fencingsax on
    edited December 2010
    "Finished" this game yesterday. By which I apparently mean "just started". I was expecting to just go into a New Game+, but now that I finally decided to read up on stuff, there's apparently a billion things I want to do in Endless first. Not to mention Survival.

The last payment was brutal for me. Part of the problem was my poor start (haggling too much, mostly), and part of the problem was that prices of stuff kept going down with nothing going up. In the end I had to play the last day something like 10 times trying to sell as much as humanly possible at as much as I could mark it up, and then selling everything I have to the vendor including my vending machine just to get enough money. I was usually ending off with ~460k, but I finally had a good day where a few expensive items sold, and I was able to reach 500k while actually keeping most of my ingredients.

AshtonDragon on
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Eeeeeh, I wouldn't suggest skipping Euria. While Euria is an annoying combo breaker when she first starts showing up, once you have a lot of money she's actually sorta useful. Her stuff is overpiced, but she tends to sell things/fusion ingredients that are actually kinda hard to come by otherwise.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I have finally finished, and am now on endless.

Fencingsax on
    edited December 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    Tertiee wrote: »

That isn't quite where we'll be droppin' the bombs, but it's close. Also no explosives fly until after the new year, we have some amount of mercy.
    Bad spacedrake. No. :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If something is at a temporarily inflated price, do people selling you the item know about it? Ie does the base price change to 200% of normal like it does when you're selling red text stuff?

L|ama on
    edited December 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    If something is at a temporarily inflated price, do people selling you the item know about it? Ie does the base price change to 200% of normal like it does when you're selling red text stuff?

Yes. I've tried to buy something at 100% base price while it was red and they didn't take it.

AshtonDragon on
    edited December 2010
    Red = double percentages
    Blue = half percentages

For example, let's say you wanted to buy an item normally at 60%. If it was red you would have to offer 120%, if it was blue you can offer 30%.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited December 2010
    You can normally buy things at around 40%, not need for 60%.

Xtarath on
    edited December 2010
    I said FOR EXAMPLE.

The default Just Pin % is closer to
    70%
    anyway.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yayness! I finally started playing this game after buying it for a fiver in that indie pack last month and it's good fun.

I came here to complain about that old man being a stingy bastard, but I read some old posts and apparently I shouldn't be haggling at all? Sell at 104% and buy at 70% 'cause that will increase my level quick, eh? Okay, if you wise men say so. I only barely made my first payment of 10,000 pix anyways.

Muddy Water on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, you should avoid haggling in order to build up your merchant level a lot faster. Although it also might be a good idea to save the game and try to test how much you can charge to different people for them to accept without haggling. For the sake of example, the generic men and guildmaster don't seem to mind buying at a little over 120%.

AshtonDragon on
    edited December 2010
    You really want to get Near Pins and Just Bonuses, though, because those go a long way to getting your relationship levels up faster.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg