As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2 million [Mass Effect Thread]'s in the first day

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Kasumi DLC gives you a new member, a new weapon, a new power and the loyalty mission. I think it's a good deal!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. Kasumi has the definitive SMG, a fun new mission (if somewhat short) that introduced the grenade-throwing mooks used to such great effect in LotSB, and one of the best, most funny and interesting party members out there.

Overall, I give it 4 quads up.

Orca on
  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    Toldo wrote: »
    Wish BioWare would do a ME2 DLC sale for PC...

You're playing it on the wrong system. :P

Why are you playing ME2 on the Civilization 5 box?

Cause the turn based version is superior in every single conceivable way?

Wait, ME2 is turn-based on the PC?!? Like Dragon Age? Cause i liked Dragon Age on the PC.

No, but you called it the Civ 5 box. Hence my joke.

It still holds true though that the PC version is the best version by a large margin.

How? Just curious, I assumed they were identical aside from save game exchanging and face codes.

It's....it's the PC version. It has KB+M controls, faster loading times, better graphics and mod-capabilities.
    I mean....It's the PC version.

But... but... but...

I got nothing.

The interface seemed to be for a console controller, so I went with that. I am sure load times are comparable to the installed 360 version and the PC.

I quit PC gaming for a number of reasons that don't need elaboration, but yeah, consoles - installed or not - have nothing on a good PC for load times. With the 360 I find the noise reduction from an install more beneficial than any effect it has on load times.

Szechuan on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is medigel used for anything other than unity in ME2? I'm not that far into it, but I haven't had a squad member go down so far.

Peewi on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ahhh, new thread smell.
    Peewi wrote: »
    Is medigel used for anything other than unity in ME2? I'm not that far into it, but I haven't had a squad member go down so far.

Nope, only for Unity.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm going to make a Shepard who looks like Mark Vanderloo, upload him to masseffectfaces, and earn millions.

Toldo on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I finally played the Kasumi DLC yesterday and completed it around 2 a.m.

My initial thoughts are that the content itself is rather short. And I pretty much squeezed out the exploration and conversations until there was nothing left before I proceeded to the next step. One one hand the amount of content is rather small, but on the other hand you
    do get an extra member throughout the game should you want to pursue that route from the beginning.

Also, the museum or whatever has some... interesting exhibits.
    Like the Fucking statue of Liberty!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

My initial thoughts are that the content itself is rather short. And I pretty much squeezed out the exploration and conversations until there was nothing left before I proceeded to the next step. One one hand the amount of content is rather small, but on the other hand you
    do get an extra member throughout the game should you want to pursue that route from the beginning.

Yeah I was shooting the crap out of his stuff just to piss him off hehe.

battledrill on

Yeah I was shooting the crap out of his stuff just to piss him off hehe.

You didn't shoot liberty, did you?!?!?!

Anyway, I like her character enough that I am bummed that she wasn't in the game from the start.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Any news about the next DLC? Even rumours? Lair of the Shadowbroker was top quality and while I'm fine with them shifting over to full scale ME3 production; I'd still like some more filler. I'd pay for it, no problemo. Even stuff like more guns and stupid armour mods.

The_Scarab on
    edited December 2010
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Any news about the next DLC? Even rumours? Lair of the Shadowbroker was top quality and while I'm fine with them shifting over to full scale ME3 production; I'd still like some more filler. I'd pay for it, no problemo. Even stuff like more guns and stupid armour mods.

I did not shoot Liberty I am no monster! No news about more DLC and with a 2011 release date for ME3 this is a good thing imo. ME3 needs as much polish as possible. Because the way I have heard it, they are listening to feedback from players and combining the best of ME2, with the things people missed from ME1. That can be a massive undertaking in itself. I actually miss the gun selection from the first one.

battledrill on

I did not shoot Liberty I am no monster! No news about more DLC and with a 2011 release date for ME3 this is a good thing imo. ME3 needs as much polish as possible. Because the way I have heard it, they are listening to feedback from players and combining the best of ME2, with the things people missed from ME1. That can be a massive undertaking in itself. I actually miss the gun selection from the first one.

I miss the planet exploration.

Am I weird?

I really enjoy driving around on the surface and knowing that I am really exploring. I also dug exploring the solar systems. So long as they still have that, I will sell an organ for it.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I miss the planet exploration.

Am I weird?

I really enjoy driving around on the surface and knowing that I am really exploring. I also dug exploring the solar systems. So long as they still have that, I will sell an organ for it.

Nah, planet exploration was cool except for:
    A) The combination of the Mako's handling/suspension/whatever and the godawful terrain
    and
    B) the boring, copy-paste buildings and planets and whatnot.

Bobble on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought I read somewhere that Lair was the first of three 'bridging' DLC chapters, that were supposed to carry on to ME3.
    Assuming they're planning these out to maintain interest, I'd expect one around Easter, and the last towards the end of the summer.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I miss weapons with unlimited ammo. I also like to bitch that in ME2 weapon heat sinks have to be removed but never reloaded.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would be up for planet exploration in ME3, just as long as the terrain isn't like most ME1 planets. However, wouldn't it feel inappropriate if reapers are already invading the galaxy? 200,000 humans dying every second? Lemme just see what's over this hill here....

Basically, I could see story mission-esque driving sections making a comeback, but I don't think wide-scale planet exploration will be coming back. And if they leave planet design up to what appeared to be an algorithm like they did in ME1, I won't miss it.

Emporium on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    If you had trouble with the terrain and the mako in ME1 it is because you suck at using the Mako, sorry but you do. I don't think there was a mountain in the game I couldn't climb with the Mako.

Fizban140 on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    bring back the mako tshirt

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited December 2010
    I think the Mako just wasn't fun sometimes. I could drive that thing anywhere but I did not enjoy it. What I did enjoy is having the Spectre weapons in ME1 and mowing down Krogans like shredded cheese.

battledrill on

Fizban140 wrote: »
    If you had trouble with the terrain and the mako in ME1 it is because you suck at using the Mako, sorry but you do. I don't think there was a mountain in the game I couldn't climb with the Mako.

I climbed all of them. I've also had my wisdom teeth removed. That doesn't mean I had fun doing it.

Bobble on
    edited December 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it was fun. It gets old driving up 88 degree inclines, or running around for a few minutes trying to find a reasonable path to wherever I'm going. I've done every side mission planet multiple times, and I really can't bear to do another ME1 completionist run again thanks to the shit terrain.

Emporium on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

My prediction for a while has been that they are waiting until the PS3 release of Mass Effect 2 before announcing any new DLC.

DarkPrimus on
    edited December 2010
    Emporium wrote: »
    I would be up for planet exploration in ME3, just as long as the terrain isn't like most ME1 planets. However, wouldn't it feel inappropriate if reapers are already invading the galaxy? 200,000 humans dying every second? Lemme just see what's over this hill here....

Basically, I could see story mission-esque driving sections making a comeback, but I don't think wide-scale planet exploration will be coming back. And if they leave planet design up to what appeared to be an algorithm like they did in ME1, I won't miss it.

I think it is a safe to say that ME3 will involve traveling all over the galaxy to become equipped to deal with the Reapers tearing Earth a new asshole. I think they even said something like that in the trailer like, we need to get ready or something.

So maybe over that next hill is a professional Reaper-killer for hire and happens to be on sale for Christmas.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Emporium wrote: »

I think it is a safe to say that ME3 will involve traveling all over the galaxy to become equipped to deal with the Reapers tearing Earth a new asshole. I think they even said something like that in the trailer like, we need to get ready or something.

So maybe over that next hill is a professional Reaper-killer for hire and happens to be on sale for Christmas.

Right, I can understand exploring for a purpose. For example, someone will give you intel about some bitchin' new something something on a planet but not precise coordinates, so you have to get dropped off on the planet and search for it. That would make sense. Or even for a side mission of sorts. Basically, kind of like ME1 but more focused. Shepard's got shit to do, no prancing about on a planet's surface looking for Matriarch Dilinaga's writings.

Emporium on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like exploration in ME1 in the Mako.

but I'm a proud Mako Mountaineer so wat evs

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Man, I'd use those jump jets as a god-damned artist. I'd reach places I wasn't supposed to reach. I could force the Mako to go underground with the right hillside.

Also, if ME3 has a time-limit, I will shoot somebody. I understand Earth is being killed off by to hundred of thousands. I want to enjoy the galaxy, ok? I am sorry, but I happen to enjoy the present crisis, thank you.

Hell, I expect ME3 opening with you and your team rushing to Earth to save the day, getting all but obliterated, leaving Shepard as the sole survivor. You then rebuild your team and resources in the wake of Earth being occupied and exterminated.

That'd be a pretty brutal way to start it off.

tldr: Yea, Earth. All thats left are some radio emissions starting 6 light months out.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shepard and the Human Alliance Fleets

Wrex and the Krogan Armada

Garrus in Command of the combined Mercenary fleets.

All bro-fisted and shooting the shit out of the reapers.

Buttcleft on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So...after reading the 3rd ME book, I think it'd be kind of cool to have Anderson as a squadmate.

Also, if the books have relation to the game, seems like Aria will have some kind of role in ME3.

As for DLC, I hope they release a least one more big mission before ME3, something to that sets up ME3 would be nice.

Dragkonias on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Human loyalty mission in ME3:

Shepard: "I need help to take down the Reapers. Are you--"
    Earth: "halp"

Toldo on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Man, I'd use those jump jets as a god-damned artist. I'd reach places I wasn't supposed to reach. I could force the Mako to go underground with the right hillside.

Also, if ME3 has a time-limit, I will shoot somebody. I understand Earth is being killed off by to hundred of thousands. I want to enjoy the galaxy, ok? I am sorry, but I happen to enjoy the present crisis, thank you.

Hell, I expect ME3 opening with you and your team rushing to Earth to save the day, getting all but obliterated, leaving Shepard as the sole survivor. You then rebuild your team and resources in the wake of Earth being occupied and exterminated.

That'd be a pretty brutal way to start it off.

tldr: Yea, Earth. All thats left are some radio emissions starting 6 light months out.

Time limits are generally a horrible idea in games, RPGs especially.

Dragkonias on
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hope for the love of god they dont do that "level complete" thing in ME2. The little screen always showing the dude in the chair and your little report card of the mission. That part really just took me out of the game for me. Also i'm probably the only one that liked the equipment part of ME1(Just make the duplicates stackable for easy selling/gelling).

I sometimes miss the mako and I dont. I give them credit for trying out a new system but it still didnt cling to me. Spinning around planets over and over shooting sperm missles wasn't very fun for me at all. Also I miss how much of a badass adepts were, but I guess that had to be changed. I'll think of more if it comes to me.

Tridus1x on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    I hope for the love of god they dont do that "level complete" thing in ME2. The little screen always showing the dude in the chair and your little report card of the mission. That part really just took me out of the game for me. Also i'm probably the only one that liked the equipment part of ME1(Just make the duplicates stackable for easy selling/gelling).

I sometimes miss the mako and I dont. I give them credit for trying out a new system but it still didnt cling to me. Spinning around planets over and over shooting sperm missles wasn't very fun for me at all. Also I miss how much of a badass adepts were, but I guess that had to be changed. I'll think of more if it comes to me.

The problem is that on a new game +, all those guns are completely pointless. There should have been some high level guns that outdid the buyable ones in at least 1 dimension.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tridus1x wrote: »

The problem is that on a new game +, all those guns are completely pointless. There should have been some high level guns that outdid the buyable ones in at least 1 dimension.

Yea good point. Pretty sure this issue already been talked about a million times, so i'll drop it. I just enjoyed the whole equipment interface mostly.

Tridus1x on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ME2's mechanics were better in pretty much every way except the interface, it needs a bunch of bars and numbers and visible gun upgrades to give the same illusion of variety that ME1 had.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited December 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    ME2's mechanics were better in pretty much every way except the interface, it needs a bunch of bars and numbers and visible gun upgrades to give the same illusion of variety that ME1 had.

Maybe weapon customization. Keep the short list of a half-dozen or less in each category, now give the player another half-dozen weapon mods that are semi-stackable.
    Turn the heavy pistol into a scoped, min-recoil hand-sniper rifle.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. I think showing the weapons stats via number and bars would go far enough to placate the stat monkeys.

Though being able to mod weapons again would be cool.

Dragkonias on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Have a room where Garrus can do calibrations on your guns.

Now there's an excuse to visit him all the time and get one liners from him.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    edited December 2010
    l_g wrote: »
    Have a room where Garrus can do calibrations on your guns.

Now there's an excuse to visit him all the time and get one liners from him.

Oh, now this is a cool idea.

Maybe let it be upgradable, so that eventually you can improve guns in addition to simply learning about their capability?

Can you tell I like upgrades? AC2:Brotherhood is like a drug for me with all the purchasable buildings.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Garrus doesn't waste his time calibrating conventional weaponry.

That's small-time.

Dragkonias on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nah, Garrus calibrates absolutely every weapon he can get his hands on

Shepard had to clear every weapon from her room to the forward batteries so he wouldn't get distracted and lost.

Dox the PI on