As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: Burrowing to the Smurf village.

• StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kambing wrote: »
    I corrected it, but no one pays attention to my posts because I don't have a sc2sig profile. =(

Oh drat. It was just like three posts later too. Should have looked harder I guess. :P

Stasis on
  • MashimaroMashimaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    Whenever people talk about Chronoboost, all I can remember is that like every pro I watch just doesn't use it.

Protoss might be better off if people actually spent their bloody chronoboost.

First off, I completely agree, when pros start using chrono effectively it may really change the game for Protoss.

I wonder if the problem is not just not using it but how it messes with their normal timings. For example, if I'm keeping my money low on 2 base with 6 gate 2 robo, chronoboosting these structures won't help me.

Of course, Chronoboost, used effectively might mean more than just early game timings. Maybe effective use of chronoboost can cut one or more unit producing structure entirely, maybe it can lead to unpredictable push timings, maybe, maybe, maybe... but I don't play at a high enough level to know for sure. I'm going to try to mess around with it, but maybe this is a task for Dhal... lol

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • MashimaroMashimaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Trus wrote: »
    what's blue and has dots?

............................................................. <- did I win?

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    alright friends helped me with the stream and I played a good, longish game and everything was fine! woo

now I just need to figure out why the music I play doesn't come through... I wonder if sc2 does. hmm.

edit - ah it's because of foobar settings. I can change em for when I stream :D

mic is working, game plays smooth, music comes through... fuckin a it's all set. thanks again seguer

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just got this game for Christmas but as it happens I won't be able to use my computer for a few weeks so I'm reduced to using my brother's crappy laptop.

So before I go installing this I'm just wondering if there is any BS DRM or limited installs or any other shenanigans?

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mashimaro wrote: »
    Trus wrote: »
    what's blue and has dots?

............................................................. <- did I win?

yes

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    alright friends helped me with the stream and I played a good, longish game and everything was fine! woo

now I just need to figure out why the music I play doesn't come through... I wonder if sc2 does. hmm.

edit - ah it's because of foobar settings. I can change em for when I stream :D

mic is working, game plays smooth, music comes through... fuckin a it's all set. thanks again seguer

:D No prob.

Also to all you guys complaining about how real time Starcraft is - holy crap!

Maybe you could try and implement some of those features in the map editor, and see how they turn out?

Surely Inject Larvae could be made to autocast fairly easily..?

Seguer on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just played a TvZ where my opponent started with fast Roaches before expo, then transitioned into Brood Lords. I was planning on a MM Banshee army but when I saw his army, I decided to add a few Vikings into the mix. So glad I did now.

Armies clash, my Banshees break off and wreak his Drone count before his Corruptors finish them off. It was EZPZ 1A mode after that.

Moral of the story: I love not seeing Banelings.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited December 2010
    my new keyboard has arrived, the black widow. I like it so far, not that I've done... anything with. nice to look at though and the placement of the macro keys is cool, doesn't get in the way but they're there if I need em.

so loud!

Variable on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I just got this game for Christmas but as it happens I won't be able to use my computer for a few weeks so I'm reduced to using my brother's crappy laptop.

So before I go installing this I'm just wondering if there is any BS DRM or limited installs or any other shenanigans?

No problems at all, you login to the game just as if you were going to login to WoW. Blizzard did make some statement that they're stopping all the useless DRM stuff and using those resources to make better games.

Satsumomo on
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was reading a post, and thought it was sarcastic, then I saw it was by JoeK, and then I lol'd.

wilting on
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Joe K wrote: »
    Uh, creep tumor and transfuse are both awesome. If MULE is good because you have the option to scan, then inject has to get bonus points for those.

In the mid- and late-game, you will be injecting with your hatch queens 100% of the time, so there is no choice there. In the early game though, there is some choice involved that hasn't been "figured out" yet as to what is optimal, e.g., mixture of injects and tumors for your first two queens.

that's what the third queen in the day9 build is for. Tumors, injects, and defense. :-)

Nah these decisions happen before a non-hatch queen goes up. For example here are valid openings for your first two queens

1st queen inject main -> 1st queen inject main -> 2nd queen inject natural
    1st queen inject main -> 1st queen tumor main -> 2nd queen inject main
    1st queen inject main -> 1st queen inject natural -> 2nd queen tumor main

The first typically gives you too much larva than you have resources to spend and limits the ability of your main queen to help defend an early push. The second causes your drone distribution to be skewed (more at main than nat). The third gets your early creep for defense and an even distribution of drones at main and nat but your queen's energy pools are out of sync.

a quick, sort of related question regarding queens:

i thought i read here that queens regenerate energy only as fast as they can spawn larva, so if you have extra energy, that means that you missed ideal timing on a spawn.

however, for some reason, i thought queens regen energy a tiny bit faster than the larva cooldown so if youre in a long game, you could end up having enough energy for tumors and transfuse, even if your spawn larva timings are perfect.

is that totally wrong? sc2 wiki tells me that queens regen energy at .5625 but i have no idea if this is correct or what it even means. sc2 wiki also states that the queen has 50 energy initially, which is wrong obviously, so there's that.

Ketherial on
    edited December 2010
    Whenever people talk about Chronoboost, all I can remember is that like every pro I watch just doesn't use it.

First off, I completely agree, when pros start using chrono effectively it may really change the game for Protoss.

I wonder if the problem is not just not using it but how it messes with their normal timings. For example, if I'm keeping my money low on 2 base with 6 gate 2 robo, chronoboosting these structures won't help me.

Of course, Chronoboost, used effectively might mean more than just early game timings. Maybe effective use of chronoboost can cut one or more unit producing structure entirely, maybe it can lead to unpredictable push timings, maybe, maybe, maybe... but I don't play at a high enough level to know for sure. I'm going to try to mess around with it, but maybe this is a task for Dhal... lol

they dont even use it for upgrades?

where's the sense in that?

Ketherial on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ketherial wrote: »
    Joe K wrote: »
    Uh, creep tumor and transfuse are both awesome. If MULE is good because you have the option to scan, then inject has to get bonus points for those.

In the mid- and late-game, you will be injecting with your hatch queens 100% of the time, so there is no choice there. In the early game though, there is some choice involved that hasn't been "figured out" yet as to what is optimal, e.g., mixture of injects and tumors for your first two queens.

that's what the third queen in the day9 build is for. Tumors, injects, and defense. :-)

Nah these decisions happen before a non-hatch queen goes up. For example here are valid openings for your first two queens

1st queen inject main -> 1st queen inject main -> 2nd queen inject natural
    1st queen inject main -> 1st queen tumor main -> 2nd queen inject main
    1st queen inject main -> 1st queen inject natural -> 2nd queen tumor main

The first typically gives you too much larva than you have resources to spend and limits the ability of your main queen to help defend an early push. The second causes your drone distribution to be skewed (more at main than nat). The third gets your early creep for defense and an even distribution of drones at main and nat but your queen's energy pools are out of sync.

i thought i read here that queens regenerate energy only as fast as they can spawn larva, so if you have extra energy, that means that you missed ideal timing on a spawn.

however, for some reason, i thought queens regen energy a tiny bit faster than the larva cooldown so if youre in a long game, you could end up having enough energy for tumors and transfuse, even if your spawn larva timings are perfect.

is that totally wrong? sc2 wiki tells me that queens regen energy at .5625 but i have no idea if this is correct or what it even means. sc2 wiki also states that the queen has 50 energy initially, which is wrong obviously, so there's that.

It's actually the other way around. There is a "grace period" between an inject finishing and a queen gaining enough energy to pop another inject. So if you're perfect with spawn larva, then you are actually bound by the queen regen time (44s) instead of the inject time (40s):

+ Queen's start with 25 energy, enough to inject or tumor immediately.
    + Queen's regen energy at the standard .5625 energy/(game) second rate, so it takes them 25/.5625 = 44s to regen enough energy to inject. Inject itself takes 40s from start to completion, so the grace period is roughly 4s between an inject popping and waiting for a queen to have enough energy to inject again.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They need to nerf the friggin bonus pool growth rate. I thought I would be able to drain this baby over christmas vacation. Uh no. Not unless I put up another 200 games this weekend.

For some reason despite me playing people who have 1500 more points than me I can't get more than +10. How about a streak bonus? Its supposed to match you against harder and harder players when you go on a streak but that doesn't appear true.

redraptor on
    edited December 2010

It's actually the other way around. There is a "grace period" between an inject finishing and a queen gaining enough energy to pop another inject. So if you're perfect with spawn larva, then you are actually bound by the queen regen time (44s) instead of the inject time (40s):

+ Queen's start with 25 energy, enough to inject or tumor immediately.
    + Queen's regen energy at the standard .5625 energy/(game) second rate, so it takes them 25/.5625 = 44s to regen enough energy to inject. Inject itself takes 40s from start to completion, so the grace period is roughly 4s between an inject popping and waiting for a queen to have enough energy to inject again.

geez, that's pretty tight timing. so if im injecting perfectly, every round, i will never, ever have enough energy for tumor or transfuse.

that kind of sucks actually since my timings are usually pretty good. guess i really just need to make a few more queens.

Ketherial on
    edited December 2010
    ah kambing I totally see how your fingers can get easily confused with these macro keys. I kept thinking I was on tab and hitting them.

I have this clay type stuff called Sugru, really awesome product, and I put a little bit on each key so it feels noticeably different from the others. that ought to be enough to keep me in the right position.

Variable on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ah kambing I totally see how your fingers can get easily confused with these macro keys. I kept thinking I was on tab and hitting them.

I have this clay type stuff called Sugru, really awesome product, and I put a little bit on each key so it feels noticeably different from the others. that ought to be enough to keep me in the right position.

Sugru is great like that; I need to go buy some.

Other folk I've heard of just take the keycaps off the macro keys which I don't particular like for aesthetic/cleanliness reasons. The sugru solution sounds pleasently geeky enough, though. =)

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So any good Protoss streams out there? I've been enjoying Minigun, but he seems to be playing Terran now... Hopefully that's not a permanent thing.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So any good Protoss streams out there? I've been enjoying Minigun, but he seems to be playing Terran now... Hopefully that's not a permanent thing.

Here ya go

What on
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What wrote: »

Here ya go

You get the hell out of here and never come back.

Seguer on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Seguer wrote: »
    What wrote: »

Here ya go

You get the hell out of here and never come back.

If i click on that, is it the SC2 equivalent of getting rick rolled?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • 3v3v Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I tried buying Starcraft 2 on Steam, cause I feel like it's time to give Starcraft 2 a shot, but Starcraft 2 isn't on Steam. Or is my Steam broken? I searched for Starcraft 2 and no Starcraft 2 showed up in my Steam.

Delta Assault on
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why would Starcraft II be on Steam?

Blizzard has a digital distribution method anyway.

Stasis on
    edited December 2010
    Stasis wrote: »
    Why would Starcraft II be on Steam?

Blizzard has a digital distribution method anyway.

Steam usually carries PC games.

Delta Assault on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    blizzard sells its own games

valve sells most people's games

but not blizz's

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can buy it online at battle.net

peacekeeper on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I'm setting up my battle.net account.

Huh, they want my address. And it's required. This seems sinister.

Delta Assault on
    edited December 2010
    yes we are all being spied on by the guy with the beard at blizzard

its the price you pay

along with 59 99 usd

undeinPirat on
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Starcraft 2 isn't on Steam for the same reason Sins of a Solar Empire or Galactic Civiliaztions II isn't on Steam: Competitors' product.

Blizzard (and in GC2/SoaSE's case, Stardock) really enjoy having complete control over their IPs, especially in the digital distribution realm.

ANYWAYS, I made it my New Year's Resolution to get better at competitive online games, with Starcraft 2 being my main goal. I'm 1 win and 6 losses in, but by the end of the year, I'd love to be Diamond. It may seem goofy, but it's always been a nerd dream of mine to be good at Starcraft, as I see it as more than a standard RTS, culturally. <3

Kami on
    edited December 2010
    The digital version of SC2 on their site is 60 bucks. But the boxed copy from Amazon is 50 bucks.

wtf

Delta Assault on
    edited December 2010
    The digital version of SC2 on their site is 60 bucks. But the boxed copy from Amazon is 50 bucks.

wtf

this just in : price of a cd reaches all time low of negative 10 dollars

undeinPirat on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    graphics card finally came in the mail today....

I'M BACK, BABY!!
    Bender.jpg

Guek on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It really ticked me off that I couldn't play starcraft 2 offline, without my computer being online to set up a guest access bullshit thing.

So guess who brought Starcraft 2, day of release, only to not be able to play until recently?

Casually Hardcore on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    my new keyboard has arrived, the black widow. I like it so far, not that I've done... anything with. nice to look at though and the placement of the macro keys is cool, doesn't get in the way but they're there if I need em.

so loud!

I just got a black widow for christmas too. It is fantastic. Loooove the mechanical switches. So easy to press, so loud, so tactile. It's making my coding and my starcraft more enjoyable. <3

Kris on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

they dont even use it for upgrades?

where's the sense in that?

Most do it for warp gate tech or colossus range at the very least. And Storms. You need to save chronos to get these asap too so that may have been where the not-constantly-chronoing comes from

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It really ticked me off that I couldn't play starcraft 2 offline, without my computer being online to set up a guest access bullshit thing.

So guess who brought Starcraft 2, day of release, only to not be able to play until recently?

What? Why couldn't you connect?

TL DR on
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

HuK. Liquid'Tylers stream is awesome too, but he almost never has it up these days. Other than that I don't really know of any actually good protoss streams. HuK delivers excellent BM most of the time as well, which is enjoyable.

Frozenzen on
    edited December 2010

Sugru is great like that; I need to go buy some.

Other folk I've heard of just take the keycaps off the macro keys which I don't particular like for aesthetic/cleanliness reasons. The sugru solution sounds pleasently geeky enough, though. =)

yeah exactly haha

I also don't want to remove keys because I may use em for WoW, at least in theory

Variable on